Letter: KSL aware and considerate of family values by cancelling 'The New Normal'

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    Sept. 2, 2012 12:54 p.m.

@ Rifleman

Shouldn't decisions regarding Family Values be made by (...wait for it...) Families?

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    Sept. 2, 2012 12:46 p.m.

So, Rifleman? Shouldn't decisions having to do w/ family values be made by families?

Being made by a 3rd party negates the phrase family values.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 1, 2012 11:33 p.m.

Re: Hank Pym SLC, UT
    "Why not air the program then let each individual family decide on values for themselves?"

Those of us who believe in morality, decency, and traditional families appreciate a TV station who shares those same views. It all has to do with family values, and that isn't a subject some people just aren't familiar with.

• leonard Oakley, ID
    Sept. 1, 2012 12:18 p.m.

bravo, KSL!

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    Aug. 31, 2012 2:07 p.m.

Nan BW...

You don't watch TV but you frequent the internet? Hmmmmm!

TV is for entertainment not teaching values or morals.

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    Aug. 31, 2012 2:05 p.m.

All those applauding KSL for *taking a stand* lack common sense among other things.

Why do those who are socially conservative need a 3rd party to rectify all they feel is immoral, wrong, evil, etc...?

• Counter Intelligence Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 30, 2012 5:09 p.m.

Based on the fact that KSL previously decided not to air "The Playboy Club" or "Couplings", which were cancelled within a few episodes anyhow; KSL seems to be ahead of the curve.

Those posters on here who claim to speak for all homosexuals, generally do not speak for me.

I find Ryan Murphy's crude and juvenile stereotypes about gays to be more offensive than NO stereotypes at all. Hate in the name of tolerance, is still just hate (with hypocrisy added). I don't need a crude and intolerant sit-com as a source of peoples images about my life.

I find the The Family Guy far more offensive than SVU, because SVU is a drama, not a comedy, and it does not celebrate the crude. Comparing SVU with The New Normal is incredibly disingenuous

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 30, 2012 11:30 a.m.

"First, like a family, or an individual, KSL has every right to turn off whatever it wants. "

Of course we have a right to complain (actually technically the Deseret News controls this comment forum and is owned along with KSL so technically we don't have the right to complain, at least not here, but kudos to the Deseret News for allowing disagreement to be voiced here nonetheless).

• Voice of Reason Layton, UT
    Aug. 30, 2012 11:05 a.m.

I can understand why you might think those are the reasons he gave based on how he was paraphrased by the media, but here is his actual quote:

"From time to time we may struggle with content that crosses the line in one area or another,” said Jeff Simpson, CEO of KSL’s parent company, Bonneville International. “The dialogue might be excessively rude and crude. The scenes may be too explicit or the characterizations might seem offensive … For our brand, this program feels inappropriate on several dimensions, especially during family viewing time."

In other words, when he was talking about rude & crude, explicit, etc. he was only talking generally about possible problems. But frankly, TNN is all those things, and saying so doesn't "lack" integrity", but is simply a different opinion on the show's content. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that, yet again, you sink into false insults like "lacking integrity" out of frustration.

Btw, Simpson recently met with some local gay groups and they accepted his explanation that it wasn't pulled for any single reason. Even they apparently disagree with your "sinister secret reason" theory.

• Tolstoy salt lake, UT
    Aug. 30, 2012 10:27 a.m.

from the same article next paragraph "Simpson cited crude dialogue, explicit content and offensive characterizations as underlying reasons KSL will not air 'The New Normal." this is why I and others take exception to KSL and your claims. The best you can say is that KSL is trying to skirt the edges to avoid actually just stating the reason the are choosing not to air the show. I suppose I should not be surprised your encounter with integrity was so short lived though.

• RanchHand Huntsville, UT
    Aug. 30, 2012 6:43 a.m.

VoR says:
    "...homosexuality and gay marriage are clearly harmful and destructive to society."

--- PROVE IT. This is nothing more than your biased opinion. Please stop stating as fact what is clearly a blatant out-and-out lie.

@John CC;

Being against gay "behavior" isn't bigotry. Preventing them from living their lives as THEY see fit because you find it offensive IS bigotry.

You said "I, for example, find fulfillment by not expressing my hetero-sexual attraction before or outside of marriage."

We feel the same way but YOU won't let US marry; and then you have the nerve to complain that we're "promiscuous" . Pretty hypocritical of you, don't you think? Oh, and heterosexuals are every bit as promiscuous as gays.

• Nan BW ELder, CO
    Aug. 29, 2012 9:27 p.m.

I don't watch television anytime, ever. However, I support KSL in not airing this show (that I've never watched) because it is not beneficial to families or teaching moral values. It is simply a reflection of standing up for what is believed by those who make the decisions.

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 29, 2012 7:40 p.m.

This isn't a show I'd probably watch, but remember KSL wouldn't and won't carry SNL, so I'd just as soon KSL be a bit less of a nanny.

• Bifftacular Spanish Fork, Ut
    Aug. 29, 2012 4:35 p.m.

Comments complaining about KSL's decision are so predictable. Seems the complaints are two-fold; 1) upset that KSL is "censoring" programs, and 2) KSL has allowed other "bad" stuff to air before so why now? First, like a family, or an individual, KSL has every right to turn off whatever it wants. Ironically, this is exactly what Hollywood preaches whenever someone assails them on the crap they are so wont to produce "simply turn it off if you don't like it" they exclaim. Well, KSL didn't like and so they turned it off. If people feel slighted by this and are just dying to see the program, they can view it on the Internet. Secondly, "yes" KSL drew a line in the sand - so what. Let's imagine they had drawn an even more conservative line in the sand earlier and not allowed other programs (Law & Order has been mentioned) imagine the hue and cry that would come from the same people complaining now about this decision? It is poor logic to suggest that if KSL agrees to allow some questionable material, they should have to allow ALL questionable material no matter what the degree forever and ever.

• Noodlekaboodle Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 29, 2012 4:12 p.m.

So let me get this straight. Community, 30 rock, the office, fear factor and celebrity apprentice are all OK? Those shoes are foul, discus topics that aren't consistent with LDS beliefs and in the case of fear factor, it's just disgusting. So apparently that is all OK with the LDS public and KSL. But if a show portrays gay people in a good light or talks about god THAT'S when we have to pull it from the air. Although it's KSL's right to do whatever they want, it is a hypocritical stance and pretty much shows their level of dislike for homosexuals.

• John C. C. Payson, UT
    Aug. 29, 2012 4:07 p.m.

Being against gay behavior doesn't equal bigotry. It's just that gay behavior is inherently unstable, unhealthy, and is generally accompanied by promiscuity. Lasting family relationships have a much better chance of providing protection and nurture for our children if they are led by a committed husband and wife. We recognize that. We feel that our loved ones, including those with same-sex attraction, will find more fulfillment resisting that attraction.

I, for example, find fulfillment by not expressing my hetero-sexual attraction before or outside of marriage. I have seen much heartbreak experienced by those who chose otherwise. We just like to help all those we love to learn these facts of life when they are young, impressionable, and subject to false impressions from the media.

• Voice of Reason Layton, UT
    Aug. 29, 2012 3:49 p.m.

Tolstoy, thank you for not doubting my integrity. However it looks like now, the angle that some are taking on KSL's decision is that KSL was somehow lying about their "real" reasons. Well luckily, we have their real reasons for not carrying The New Normal in plain printed English:

"For our brand, this program feels inappropriate on several dimensions, especially during family viewing time."

Um, that's not really inconsistent with what I said, i.e. that homosexuality and gay marriage are clearly harmful and destructive to society. Seems like their reasons are pretty much what I mentioned, except that they were much more gracious about it than I was. No sinister, "secret" reason that KSL's not telling us about.

The show is just too big a slap in the face of traditional families for KSL to stomach, complete with a socially conservative cartoon buffoon (Ellen Barkin's character) to bat around. No word on whether she's actually made of straw. Same stale, leftist Hollywood tricks - nothing new here. The New Normal - even the name practically dares mainstream Americans to challenge them on the critical importance of traditional families.

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    Aug. 29, 2012 2:30 p.m.

lost in DC said:

Since more than half of marriage ends in divorce and there are single parents out there, I tend to believe you are now the minority not the Norm, soon you won't be able to shame the majority into your belief that they are "detrimental to society." they are simply "Part of Society."

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    Aug. 29, 2012 2:23 p.m.

But "Will & Grace" was such an uplifting moral show?
    Drop the network if you have no intention of supporting it.

...and for those pointing out "law and order," they always get the bad guy, and violence is OK as long as everyone is dressed and doesn't swear while they're mutilating someone.

• Tolstoy salt lake, UT
    Aug. 29, 2012 2:03 p.m.

the only thing that is a determent to society about this issue is your continued false claims that harm loving caring families.

• RanchHand Huntsville, UT
    Aug. 29, 2012 1:46 p.m.

Gayle, sweetheart, we have families too. Bigotry isn't a "family value".

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 29, 2012 12:41 p.m.

children are entitled to born to a father and a mother who are completely faithful to each other. Anything that portrays something other than this as "normal" is a detriment to society. And even if I choose to not watch, I am not immune from the influence such trash has on society at large.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    Aug. 29, 2012 12:29 p.m.

The really frightening thing about TV these days is that there are so many Americans who apparently enjoy watching the sewage that fills virtually all the programming out there.

Thank goodness for the PBS channels or there would be nothing at all worth watching.

• Eric Samuelsen Provo, UT
    Aug. 29, 2012 11:59 a.m.

I haven't seen The New Normal, obviously, so who knows if it's lousy or great. But a show about a loving gay couple strikes me as perfectly moral. A lot better than Jersey Shore, or American Gypsies or twenty other rubbishy shows.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 29, 2012 11:43 a.m.

"it will show gay marriage and homosexuality in general as harmless, normal and morally acceptable. "

Which is exactly the point we're trying to make, that this decision had nothing to do with their stated reasons and had everything to do with homosexuality.

• RAB Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 29, 2012 11:22 a.m.

@ Moderate

Your point is well taken. There are a lot of people who lack the will power to change the channel. It is precisely for their sake that we should all applaud KSL's decision.

• Tolstoy salt lake, UT
    Aug. 29, 2012 10:38 a.m.

While I would normally challenge your false beliefs about gay couples I will not do so since you actually had the integrity to do something KSL has failed to do by stating your true motives for opposing the show. thanks for at least being honest about you motives.

• Voice of Reason Layton, UT
    Aug. 29, 2012 10:19 a.m.

To those on here who are using Law & Order:SVU as a tool to justify The New Normal: Yeah, L&O:SVU is a bad show in my opinion, I agree. But that doesn't in any way justify The New Normal as a harmless show.

And there's a critical difference between the two shows: while L&O:SVU may portray a lot of brutal crimes on the screen (which I don't like), they are at least also shown to be evil and are prosecuted as crimes. The New Normal, while maybe not as directly explicit as L&O, portrays something far more damaging in the long run: it will show gay marriage and homosexuality in general as harmless, normal and morally acceptable. That's likely where KSL's judgment call came from. Yes, showing explicit violence isn't good, but describing harmful and deadly behavior as harmless and normal is far worse even if you don't actually show it.

• Owl Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 29, 2012 10:10 a.m.

Thanks for standing up KSL. There are times when it is appropriate to just say No and this is one of them. It is not true that everything which comes out of Hollywood is fit to be in our homes. By the entertainment industry's low-threshold standards, everything is fit if can get by the timid FCC other than the Pledge of Allegiance or prayer at a veteran's funeral.

• Tolstoy salt lake, UT
    Aug. 29, 2012 10:06 a.m.

KSL has the right to decide what it airs I just wish KSL and the letter writer would stop trying to pretend it is about language and explicit content. If you really believe you are right then stop making excuses. I guess integrity stopped being a value you want to teach your children.

• timpClimber Provo, UT
    Aug. 29, 2012 10:04 a.m.

The New Normal = More broken hearted parents and destroyed lives. Thanks KSL for standing up for good family values.

• Pat Sandy, UT
    Aug. 29, 2012 9:52 a.m.

I agree with KSL's decision. Thank you.

• John Charity Spring Back Home in Davis County, UT
    Aug. 29, 2012 9:15 a.m.

NBC should be condemned for attempting to push this anti-family trash on the American public. Thankfully, KSL has taken a stand against this vile effort.

For far too long, local television stations have sat idly by while modern Hollywood used them to further its attacks on traditional family and marriage. Indeed, modern Hollywood belittles the family and makes fun of fatherhood at every turn.

Hollywood would have us believe that marriage is outdated. This view is destroying society, and KSL should be commended for fighting against it.

• isrred Logan, UT
    Aug. 29, 2012 9:11 a.m.

It always makes me laugh that the same folks that cry "family values" in the name of piety are the same people who fail to recognize the good Lord gave us these awesome things called thumbs that allow me to change the channel, or even better, turn off the television altogether if I don't like what's on in front me. I make choices for myself; I don't presume to make choices for others I don't even know.

• Robert Johnson Sunland, CA
    Aug. 29, 2012 8:59 a.m.

"Family values"? Seriously you jest. I guess KSL in its big brother mentality deems that programs like "Law and Order" that regularly feature storylines dealing with child sexual abuse, rape and murder fit in well with the Utah "Family Values", but a show featuring a loving couple who happen to be gay does not. If this is what KSL believes are "family values", then I suggest that they need to seriously re-evaluate their value system.

• Moderate Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 29, 2012 8:53 a.m.

It is always interesting to hear from viewers who lack the will power to make their own choices. "If it is on TV, I will watch it. Thank you KSL for filtering my programs for me!"

• CHS 85 Sandy, UT
    Aug. 29, 2012 7:43 a.m.

Yes, KSL, thank you for making my remote control obsolete. "Law and Order SVU" TV14 = good. "The New Normal" TV14 = bad.