U.S. & World

GOP OKs platform barring abortions, gay marriage

Comments

• RRB SLC, UT
    Sept. 2, 2012 10:41 a.m.

Same platform as 2008. That's good. Bushes 2008 was better than Obama's 2012.

Been a Democrat all my life, but I am not going to sit around and watch him tear this country apart for 4 more years. 4 years and the Democrats never presented a budget to congress. (senates responsibility) It's no wonder we are in a mess. How can someone budget money without a budget?

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Aug. 31, 2012 3:05 p.m.

Phranc,

Romney supported an existing law, while not proclaiming abortion as the way to go. He has also stated he was wrong.

What has Obama ever admitted to being wrong with?

Has Romney ever given American money to countries who kill people? Why has Obama given billions of our tax money to other countries? What happened to the stimulus money? Where's the almost six trillion added to the deficit, gone to? Where is it? That would pay healthcare for all Americans for at least ten years.

Answer this Phranc!

• Phranc SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Aug. 28, 2012 9:57 p.m.

I am sorry but Romney trying to back peddle from the abortion part of the platform is weak at best. If he is the GOP nominee (and has been for many months now) why was he unable to even manage to keep his party on message? If he cannot effectively manage his own party what hope does he have of effectively managing our government?

• George Bronx, NY
    Aug. 28, 2012 9:34 p.m.

@rifleman

funny that when you look up bygone in the thesaurus the first entry reads antiquated, archaic, dated, dead, defunct, extinct, forgotten. former, gone by, oblivion etc... there is a reason it is a bygone era rifleman because the era you are talking about was not all leave it to beaver and happy days. It is a time our country has moved beyond because we as a country did some shameful things many of us are not proud of to our fellow citizens.

• Tolstoy salt lake, UT
    Aug. 28, 2012 9:21 p.m.

@rifleman

Bygone era? I think you would have to go back to a time of segregation, a time when women and children where viewed as property, McCarthyism and other embarrassments of the past and other embarrassments where considered acceptable platforms by either party to find a democrat platform that would support no abortions with no exceptions. Personally I think I would prefer that "bygone era" stay gone for ever thanks.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    Aug. 28, 2012 8:09 p.m.

Re: I M LDS 2 Provo, UT
    "The GOP has been hijacked by radicals."

No, today's conservative Republicans have the same belief system as the liberal Democrats of a bygone era. The Republicans have stayed on course while the morality of our society has veered violently to the left.

The reason Democrats have such a hard time in Utah is that the majority still believe in the sanctity of marriage and think killers on death row should be executed and unborn viable infants should be granted a reprieve.

• I M LDS 2 Provo, UT
    Aug. 28, 2012 6:25 p.m.

The GOP has been hijacked by radicals.

I have been a Republican my entire life, but this platform verges on fascist. I am dropping the R...

• Getting it Right Sunnyvale, CA
    Aug. 28, 2012 5:40 p.m.

Our country is going to have a prosperous 8 years under Romney's presidency. Generally, it might not be good for some minorities which I am but the country as a whole will be prosperous and I can live with it.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Aug. 28, 2012 5:33 p.m.

We have a president who support gay marriages, then gives billions of tax payer money to countries who publicly executes them.

Doesn't make sense.

• CHS 85 Sandy, UT
    Aug. 28, 2012 4:12 p.m.

"We, the Republican Party, believe in less governmental regulation except for abortion laws, gay marriage laws, balanced budget laws, super-majority laws, voter identification laws, immigration laws, education laws, etc. We also believe that states have duties to their citizens except in the areas mentioned above."

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 28, 2012 3:47 p.m.

Ban all abortions... see, they agree with Rep. Akin on that policy.