Sports

Utah Utes football: Utes' defensive line may be among the nation's best

Comments

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Aug. 29, 2012 8:59 a.m.

big coug

You bring Cowherd into the conversation? He is the biggest USC, Cowboys and Yankees homer there is (and I'm a Cowboys fan). There are no other teams besides those three in his mind. Check out DP if you want unbiased opinions on sports, you might get beyond much of the propaganda that is ESPN.

That being said, I hope that USC takes the Utes lightly like Rusillo, because they will get stung.

Go Utes! One more day til kick off.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 29, 2012 8:23 a.m.

Hedgehog,

I know I said my previous comment was my last; however, I had to verify my comment about "reported". Will you accept ESPN has a reliable source? Again can't give it because of a "non-wrapping long line"! Just google 2011 preseason all american football team. Go to the ESPN list - select OT (offensive tackle!) There is Mr. Reynolds and here is the quote,"Reynolds made the Outland and Lombardi Award watch lists and COULD END UP A FIRST ROUND NFL PICK"

P.S. I don't care if you "don't recall" Reynolds being on the 2011 preseason All American list I cited. Look them up! It's a fact! But don't let that change your position!

• UtahMan08/12 South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 29, 2012 7:45 a.m.

I just have to say that I love seeing the hate from the Y fans. The negative comments about Shelby and Whitt's development of players are especially ludicrous. I mean, the Utes currently have 26 active players in the NFL including Shelby. The Cougars have only 13. So regardless of whether the Ute's players are getting drafted or not, there is no arguing the fact that Whitt does a better job than Roscoe at getting his players into the NFL.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 28, 2012 10:47 p.m.

Hedgehog

Frustration. First question did you google 2011 preseason college football all american?

Assuming you did not let me walk you through a couple web sites - I could not do this as the 3 I tried was "not saved" because of a "non wrapping line"! - Just google it!

Second - Any injuries that Mr. Reynolds had early in college did not appear to affect his (preseason) first team all american selection on ESPN, CBS, NBC Bleacher report, others?

Third - One year later I could not find any preseason draft projections for 2011. Does "reported" apply only to news services? Could I report something? Could any cougar fan posting projected draft status be considered "reporting"?

Fourth - The fact I could not find any preseason draft projections for 2011 does not preclude Reynolds having been projected in the first round. Indeed, it is not too much of a stretch to believe a first round offensive tackle all american by a number of sources would be projected first round.

Fifth - it's unfortunate you've played the "injury" card so early.

(This will be my last response - it is difficult to convince anyone who cannot gooble a reference.)

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Aug. 28, 2012 10:25 p.m.

Makes one wonder why utah isn't ranked #1. I bet if you took a poll in slc they would be #1.

• IdaUte GARDEN CITY, ID
    Aug. 28, 2012 9:36 p.m.

Grind their bones to make our bread!

GO UTES!!!

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Aug. 28, 2012 9:32 p.m.

@BigCougar

Lee is a 1 rounder? Not according to some in SI. Simple fact is take out Barkley and USC is not a NC contender.

As far as Utah's defense, let me see take your haterade opinion or:

"At nose tackle, senior Star Lotulelei is the nation's best... Depth looks good across the line." -- Mike Huguenin (Yahoo Sports)

If the defense line was as bad as you think then one would think even BYU could have figured out how to run the ball AWAY from Star.

BYU only gained 11 rushing yards, the other 12 teams 1168 rush yards, which makes Utah's rush defense #7 in the nation. That's probably why many think the DL is one of the best in the nation.

Go UTES!!

• Hegdehog Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 28, 2012 9:10 p.m.

@whoamisir?

I believe you had made the claim that it was "reports" made this time a year ago of Reynolds being a 1st round pick, not "Cougar postings". He was a 1st team freshman All-American before all of his injuries but I don't recall his making any of the pre-season All-American 1st teams entering his senior year (Phil Steele, SI, SN, AP, ESPN, etc) but he was "reported" on several 2nd team lists.

When you check out the NFL draft projections for OT's at this time last year they had Matt buried somewhere around the middle to high teens at his position and going possibly at the very end of the draft (somewhere after the 5th or 6th round). I haven't seen one yet that reported he'd go in the 1st round. Again I didn't see him reported as a potential 1st round pick this time last year by Phil Steele, SI, SN, CBSsports.com, ESPN, NFLDraftScout.com, etc.

• JDL Magna, UT
    Aug. 28, 2012 8:34 p.m.

Jenny,

You really make me laugh. Ernest T. Bass is a ute and he is making fun of BYU!

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Aug. 28, 2012 7:30 p.m.

BigCougar:

"As for Shelby, I've heard for years from ute fans how amazing Shelby was (*cough* overrated) and that he was going to be a 1st day draft pick in the NFL."

You didn't hear that from us. You just made that up. Another strawman argument for the Indy-WACey, 54-10 losing fans that have no darts to throw.

"Where was all that super-duper genius player development getting him ready to be drafted that we always hear about?"

Shelby was a 2-star recruit -- and now he's playing in the NFL. So, it's right there in front of your nose. Joe and Dave were 3- and 4-star recruits. So they STARTED with more potential. And with both the eldest Kruger and Shelby in the NFL, prospects are looking good that we'll soon find Dave and Joe there as well.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 28, 2012 6:36 p.m.

@uteology
    "Though I think Utah's D-line is definitely a good one, it's really Star that makes it so good. If you took him out of the equation and put an average guy in his place, how truly good is this line?

As good as USC's offense without Barkley. Star athletes make others around them better."

Big difference is that USC WR's Woods and Lee are 1st rounders on their own whether Barkley is throwing to them or the back up is. Take Star out of the Utah DL and the Krugers, etc all become subpar Pac12 lineman. With Star drawing double and triple teams from opposing OL's the Krugers, etc have only managed to be average. They'd drown w/o him in there.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    Aug. 28, 2012 6:23 p.m.

The collective insecurity shown by the byu fanbase where UTAH Football is concerned is absolutely priceless.

54-10.

• I-am-I South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 28, 2012 5:26 p.m.

I'm not a Ute fan...oops...but I played high school ball with Star at Bingham. He's a good kid. I like him. I wish him the and the Utes the best this year.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Aug. 28, 2012 4:22 p.m.

@motorbike

-----------

As good as USC's offense without Barkley. That's why they are both are projected to be top 10 NFL talent. Star athletes make others around them better. You need role players on every team. But I think Fakahafua has the potential to be great.

• Dnquixote Las Vegas, NV
    Aug. 28, 2012 4:11 p.m.

So many haters on here. Ducky, Bigcoug, JTX (whatever)

What difference does it make if Shelby was drafted? How does that related to this lines skill? You will see just how good this line is when it holds you to under 100 yds rushing in Sept.

Jtx. 7-5??? Why even say that. I wish we could place a bet on that, so you could back out or eat your words.

If there is nothing to look forward to as a BYU fan, or nothing to brag about, just keep quiet.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 28, 2012 3:19 p.m.

Hedgehog

I'm not certain I can find all the cougar postings about Reynolds being a first rand draft projection; however, as he was a projected first team all-american by NBC sports, CBS sports, ESPN, National Champs and 2nd team by Phil Stee3e (to name a few -look them up under 2011 preseason all American) I feel this supports my claim that he was projected first round by at least some Y Cougar fans. (Remember - one Y fan projected NINE (9) cougars would be drafted and do you think he left off Reynolds, or had him low on his list of cougars to be drafted?)

Glad you asked me to support my statement!

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Aug. 28, 2012 3:14 p.m.

Hedgehog and BigCougar, one of the consequences of the new collective bargaining agreement is that players with serious injury histories have a better chance at proving themselves as undrafted free agents than they have at being drafted at their projected levels. Another case in point for this is Chris Polk.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 28, 2012 3:04 p.m.

BigCougar & Hegdehop ...

Do you both know how ridiculous you sound? Trying to minimize how good a guy is that is about to crack an NFL roster only does one thing, it exposes you for being completely non-objective when discussing Utah football.

And by the way, most teams in the NFL would be pretty happy to have had the dolphin's defense the past several years, it's the offense that has been absolutely horrific ... more specifically the QB position which John Beck had a nice hand in.

• PAC12Fan South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 28, 2012 2:56 p.m.

Duck is simply a jealous fool. He wants what all BYU fans want: A conference. If for some chance the Pac 12 changed their mind about BYU, his jealous rants would calm down regarding the conference. I for one want BYU in a conference.

• Hegdehog Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 28, 2012 2:51 p.m.

@papa
    "That is why Shelby is on the 2 deep right now for the Dolphins. He never really played all that well. Especially to get drafted in the NFL."

Yeah, and the 'Fins stink. They've been to the playoffs once in the past 11 yrs. They'll take anyone with a pulse and half a brain. The bigger question is why couldn't Shelby get drafted? Isn't that Kyle's specialty? Getting guys developed so they can be drafted?

• Hegdehog Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 28, 2012 2:23 p.m.

@whoamisir?
    "reported to be first round draft picks(But then again so was Reynolds this time last year)"

Try 2 or 3 yrs ago maybe before all of his injuries but I'd like to see you prove you're not full of malarkey by providing a link to a report this time last year that Reynolds was being projected as a 1st round pick.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 28, 2012 2:16 p.m.

@utahcountyute
    "Whether they are the best in the Nation, that has to come out later in monumental tilts with USC and the rest of the PAC"

I was listening to Colin Cowherd on ESPN radio this morning and he had Ryan Russillo on and they were talking about the best teams this coming season in College football and Utah was in the conversation. Colin said the Utah game could be a good 1st test of how good USC will be this year. Russillo said, "Utah?!? I mean....c'mon! We're talking Utah?!? Utah?!?"

So apparently while the tilt with USC is definitely monumental for Utah, on a national level it sounds like it's debatable as to whether or not its monumental for USC. But as for the rest of the Pac12, they're all sort of mediocre so I'm not sure what that will really tell you about your team except....they're mediocre too? (unless of course you run the table). That's the curse of having the weakest schedule of anyone in the Pac12. Makes it tough for you to prove yourself. Remember 2-10 Colorado last year?

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 28, 2012 1:22 p.m.

Ducky,

At last wa agree on something. Well almost - not certain about WR's in the PAC-12. USC's are reported to be first round draft picks (But then again so was Reynolds this time last year) So I think kmost would agree with me ours are the second best in the PAc-12. Other than that you are "spot on" in your evaluations.

• Papa Smurf UTE Herriman, UT
    Aug. 28, 2012 1:12 p.m.

Hedgehog,

• Jenny83 OGDEN, UT
    Aug. 28, 2012 1:06 p.m.

Erbest T. Bass - What you just said is just as silly as your name. First of all Utah's "Star" is projected to be the #1 Defensive lineman in the country and might has a good chance of being the #1 overall pick in the 2013 NFL draft. You are looking at this purely through blue glasses. I'm looking at it from logic and fact.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 28, 2012 12:54 p.m.

I disagree with duckhunter. They aren't the best anything. byu o-line will donimate these guys. Look for huge running yards from are backs.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 28, 2012 12:43 p.m.

@xert
    "A good defensive line that keeps reloading is like a fine fois gras"

But a fine fois gras shouldn't (*burrrrrrrrp*) keep reloading on you. ;)

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 28, 2012 12:38 p.m.

@Wally West & StGtoSLC
    "Intesting tidbit... Shelby may make the Dolphins 53 man roster as an UDFA. He'd be the 4th Ute on the Miami D."

And with all of that Utah defensive talent on the Dolphins they've managed to make the playoffs once in the past 10 yrs. Interesting tidbit....

As for Shelby, I've heard for years from ute fans how amazing Shelby was (*cough* overrated) and that he was going to be a 1st day draft pick in the NFL. I was shocked to find out that he wasn't even drafted! Where was all that super-duper genius player development getting him ready to be drafted that we always hear about? Maybe Kyle should've switched him to another position then he would've been amazing and gotten drafted.

Even the Pac12 drank the Shelby Koolaid last season when they made him All-Conference. I wonder how many 1st team All-Conference DL's in the Pac12 don't get drafted from y2y? If the conference can't even get a 1st team all conf DL drafted, maybe the conference itself is overrated? That sounds like Conference-USA stuff.

• Wally West SLC, UT
    Aug. 28, 2012 11:32 a.m.

re StGtoSLC 9:42 a.m. Aug. 28, 2012

• mountainflying OGDEN, UT
    Aug. 28, 2012 10:57 a.m.

J-TX ........The offense is poised to be very powerful this year for the Utes. There are 3 very solid running backs, a host of amazing receivers, and if Wynn can stay healthy we will be in business. If Wynn doesn't stay healthy, we always have Wilson, who is going to be the future of Ute football.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 28, 2012 10:39 a.m.

Let's see how a position group plays before we start the accolades.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 28, 2012 10:18 a.m.

I'm going to agree with several of the BYU fans on this one.

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Aug. 28, 2012 10:06 a.m.

Sammy

You missed it. The parade was at the airport in Provo after the cougs beat Oklahoma in the 2009 season opener. Of course we all know what happened a couple weeks later when the cougs lost to a less than stellar FSU team at home 28-54. doh!

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Aug. 28, 2012 9:42 a.m.

"Also, we keep hearing about Nate having all this "potential", it's got the familiar ring of what we heard about regarding Derrick Shelby for years (which never really developed)."

Shelby was first-team all-conference his first year in the Pac-12, was a Walter Camp national player of the week, and is playing in the NFL now. What higher expectations did you have?

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Aug. 28, 2012 9:08 a.m.

Wow, the byU "fans" are all on edge with this article. amusing

This group is great, there is no doubt about it. Whether they are the best in the Nation, that has to come out later in monumental tilts with USC and the rest of the PAC. If this group can keep the Trojans to less than 20 (which they really did last year) and the Offense can be average to good, this will be a special year.

Can't wait...

Go Utes!

• Hegdehog Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 28, 2012 8:41 a.m.

Star is a special player. After him the line is unproven, smallish and pedestrian. Trevor Reilly is a very good OLB but taking on 300 lb gorillas at only 245lbs will be a monumental task (I predict he plays mostly at OLB)

. The Krugers haven't lived up to their brother's expectations and have only been average DLs with the benefit added of Star getting double & triple teamed & constantly drawing so much attention.

This group looks like it's one injury (Star) away from being a small, ordinary to below average group.

• J-TX Allen, TX
    Aug. 28, 2012 8:19 a.m.

Duck Hunter: I appreciate the sarcasm.

With the trouble we all know the offense is in, the D better show up.

But don't think you smell roses. USC will beat down Utah, and Oregon will beat USC.

With the improved D, Utah may end up 7-5.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Aug. 28, 2012 7:40 a.m.

It all starts up front, and this is an extremely talented group. Can't wait for the season to start. Any thing less than 9-3 would be dissapointing; especially with so much coming back from last year.

Duck Hunter,

Every team has the best line, the best WR, the best RB's at this point of the season. Didn't you get the memo?

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Aug. 28, 2012 7:36 a.m.

I'm whiffing some hint of roses, a parade and a side trip to Disneyland!

Where is NC Utes 2010 part II when we need her?

• Cinci Man FT MITCHELL, KY
    Aug. 28, 2012 7:36 a.m.

This is an exciting year for my alma-mater. I wish you well Utes. Pleeeez show up for every down. Every player must do this. I cannot wait for the 'W' column to increment every week of the season. Keep them humble hungry and focused Kyle. GO UTES!!!

• SoCalUtahFan Irvine, CA
    Aug. 28, 2012 6:58 a.m.

The D-line will be key--and that is an understatement.

Attack on the opposite QB is important.
    Stop the run is important.

Overall, defense will need to show up every game like they
    did last year.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Aug. 27, 2012 11:11 p.m.

We allowed 19 points per game last year, with an inept offense.

With this defense if we can get our offense to play at 75% level then this could be special year. Could this be BCS year like 04 and 08? Way too early to tell but I think 10-2 is achievable. One game at a time, first up, Northern Colorado. I expect our defense to dominate 48-3!

Go UTES!!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 27, 2012 10:28 p.m.

Let's see....best group of wr's in the pac12, best defensive line in the entire nation, best rb in the pac12, best qb situation in the state, best defensive backs in the pac12, best coaching staff in the country, best, best, best.

I just don't see how this team can ever lose.

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    Aug. 27, 2012 10:14 p.m.

I remember in the Jim Fassell and Chuck Stobart days when we couldn't stop anyone from scoring. Good athletes, but never came together as a defensive unit. What a luxury it's been since the days of Luther Ellis. A good defensive line that keeps reloading is like a fine fois gras. It becomes more appreciated with every Ritz cracker it embellishes with it's goose liver exploding goodness.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Aug. 27, 2012 9:17 p.m.

Great line, one of the best we've had, but 2004 was probably a little stronger. I think I had heard that 4 of the first 5 guys in the rotation had a bench of 450+. Still some serious talent on this team, though.

• KamUte South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 27, 2012 9:01 p.m.

More excited for he game against Utah State next week. Good luck Utah.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Aug. 27, 2012 6:29 p.m.

Wow! This is like an NFL team. Go utes! Beat Northern Colorado.

• GoRed WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Aug. 27, 2012 6:01 p.m.

This is as strong of a defensive group as I've ever seen at the U, and I've been following them for a long time. Fakahafua basically single-handedly led Highland to the state championship 2 years ago; the Kruger brothers are clones of their older brother who is now in the NFL; Reilly has already been a PAC 12 player of the week for destroying BYU; and Lotulelei---already voted the best defensive lineman by his PAC 12 opposing offensive linemen. It's all shaping up to be a great year, starting with this stud group. Can't wait for Thursday.

Go Utes!!!