Sports

Comments

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Aug. 28, 2012 10:46 p.m.

@BigCougar: "You can add to that the fact that since their highwater season of 2008, Kyle and Utah are 0-5 vs teams that finished the season ranked in the top 25."

Didn't we smash a top 26/25 team by 44 points in their own home last year?

"When I read posts by ute fans I get the sense that they're caught up in that "steady decline" and living off of the glory of days gone by."

The 2012 incoming class is Utah's highest class in history, with projections of 9-10 win season this year by Yahoo Sports and SI. So if that's a program in a "steady decline" then I want more of it.

• PAC 12 loves U Sandy, Utah
    Aug. 28, 2012 4:37 p.m.

@ Swoopy

"Who cares what your SOS is?".

Obviously dallas realist cares! That's why I responded to him. He actually thought BYU had a tougher SOS last year than Utah. That's funny, huh?

"U didn't beat a single conference opponent with a winning record in 2011, and LOST, at HOME, to one of the WORST teams in the country"

So, BYU didn't beat anybody good last year! Plus byu LOST at HOME to the team that lost to Colorado by a wopping 44 points! Does that mean Colorado is 47 points better than byu?

You Y fans are really desperate to down play your beat down to Utah by hiding behind Colorado. Man up and accept defeat!

For the record, Colorado played the #1 toughest schedule in college football last year according to Phil Steele.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 28, 2012 11:40 a.m.

@MUSSing
    ""Ever since ESPN Game Day came to (Salt Lake) and (TCU) embarrassed us 7-47, the ride has been over. As a longtime season ticket holder, I clearly remember how over-matched and unprepared (Utah) was that day..."

"From #18/#18 to unranked/#23 to unranked losing conference record bottom dweller, we've be in steady decline - barely beating 4-win WSU in OT and getting dominated by 10-loss Colorado were simply the lastest signs of a program headed in the wrong direction...."

You can add to that the fact that since their highwater season of 2008, Kyle and Utah are 0-5 vs teams that finished the season ranked in the top 25. When I read posts by ute fans I get the sense that they're caught up in that "steady decline" and living off of the glory of days gone by.

@CO Ute
    "Sorry but sometimes I don't get Bronco speak"

I know what you mean, I have the same problem. Sometimes I'll listen to him answer a question and then think, "Huh?!?" Its the art of saying a lot without really saying much at all.

• Swoop Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 28, 2012 7:49 a.m.

PAC 12 loves U

Who cares what your SOS is? U didn't beat a single conference opponent with a winning record in 2011, and LOST, at HOME, to one of the WORST teams in the country.

Sorry, there are no trophies for SOS.

• Y Grad Pumping Gas Beaver, UT
    Aug. 27, 2012 4:06 p.m.

Y Dad Y whatever

"Nobody has to listen."

Obviously you did.

• PAC 12 loves U Sandy, Utah
    Aug. 27, 2012 3:43 p.m.

@ dallas realist

"if you would do some research you would find that byu's SOS was ranked 65th while Utah's was 76th".

First off, What's your source?

Secondly, Utah has a stronger SOS in 2011 and 2012 according to Phil Steele:

2011:
    Utah #33
    BYU #95

2012:
    Utah #63
    BYU #81

Now, go do your research again and this time don't use cougarboards dot com.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 27, 2012 1:30 p.m.

"I've never read an article about utah, but I hope Y fans don't seem as silly as the trolls."

Cougarista:

Abandon all hope. ducky, sam, etc, have seen to that.

• Marked it Down Park City, UT
    Aug. 27, 2012 8:39 a.m.

mountainflying

-Finishing 8th in the conference - meaningless
    -Losing to the 107th WORST team in the country - meaningless
    -Having a perfect storm win over BYU - Utah's ONLY highlight for 2011

Once a little brother; always a little brother.

• dallas realist rockwall, texas
    Aug. 27, 2012 12:04 a.m.

@PAC 12 loves U

if you would do some research you would find that byu's SOS was ranked 65th while Utah's was 76th.
    just thought you might want to know that.

• mountainflying OGDEN, UT
    Aug. 26, 2012 11:25 p.m.

Cougar Blue - We couldn't beat the worst team in our league but we were good enough to beat the lowly Cougs by 44 in Provo. Byu is pathetic.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Aug. 26, 2012 11:02 p.m.

Luv 2 Troll U

My last response got censored, so I'll try to keep it basic and simple.

Bronco doesn't always say that. Prove me wrong.

Free thought? Free speech? You are welcome to them.

Nobody has to listen.

• whitingnick Orem, UT
    Aug. 26, 2012 10:50 p.m.

Must be football season, the trolls are out in full force.
    Should be an exciting year. Can't wait to start. Go Cougs!

• AltaHawkFan Sandy, UT
    Aug. 26, 2012 8:38 p.m.

re: ConferenceofChampions

I'm glad you like New Mexico late in the year. Your utes will probably find themselves in the NM bowl.

• AltaHawkFan Sandy, UT
    Aug. 26, 2012 8:26 p.m.

re: Ernest

This article is about BYU not your favorite team, the utes.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Aug. 26, 2012 7:22 p.m.

MUSSing with U

I am just glad we have BYU on our schedule, we beat them so bad last year that they quit allowing us more time to party!

The only bad thing about owning BYU is that thier fans have scattered onto bandwagons (TCU, Colorado). Oh well, at least someone can give them something to cheer about.

• I Bleed Blue Las Vegas, NV
    Aug. 26, 2012 6:07 p.m.

Best of luck to BYU and Utah this year. Best outcome for either team would be a BCS bowl. Most probable outcome, a trip to San Diego for BYU and a trip down to good ol' El Paso for Utah. I for one like the beach in December.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 26, 2012 5:36 p.m.

Undefeated season. Easy.
    We need refs who don't hate us (won't ever never happen) and to stop beating ourselfs. If we get that. Undefeated. Easy.

• Cougarista Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 26, 2012 5:04 p.m.

Even the trolls seem excited about BYU. That's a good sign. I've never read an article about utah, but I hope Y fans don't seem as silly as the trolls.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Aug. 26, 2012 4:33 p.m.

Rational

Good point, but in fairness, Nebraska has tumbled somewhat from national prominence since that time frame.

Still, better late than never.

• MUSSing with U Baltimore, MD
    Aug. 26, 2012 3:20 p.m.

"It might be time for a change of leadership for the (Utah) football team."

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 26, 2012 2:15 p.m.

13 years ago I read literature from Nebraska that said, "We became nationally prominent by being well ahead of other schools in weight training. We now feel we are as far ahead in nutrition as we were in weight training."

Welcome to the 20th Century, Bronco.

• CO Ute PARKER, CO
    Aug. 26, 2012 1:17 p.m.

Sorry but sometimes I don't get Bronco speak ... He has a pretty good idea what they can accomplish according to his expectations but doesn't measure that by the number of wins??? How else do you measure the success of a football team?

• PAC 12 loves U Sandy, Utah
    Aug. 26, 2012 10:56 a.m.

@ CougarBlue

"Dear ChrisB, only in your dreams will you make it to a BCS bowl in the next 4 years. You still can't even beat the worst team in your league".

That's what Y fans were saying about Utah's 2008 squad. Remember the team that dismantled the Cougs 48-24 that paved their way to their second BCS bowl? The point is, Utah's been to the BCS before (twice). They know what it takes to get their and they are very capable of doing it again.

Colorado being the worst team in the Pac-12 last year played one of the toughest schedules in College Football. At least Colorado is a worthy rival who is capable of beating Utah. Unlike BYU which lost to that same Utah team 54-10. Ouch!

Don't let your 10-3 record or your top 25 ranking fool you. BYU played one of the weakest schedules in College Football.

• Austin Coug Pflugerville, TX
    Aug. 26, 2012 10:37 a.m.

Louisiana Cougar,

Your post is laughable. Why are you even on here reading about BYU football if it is below women's CC on your list? I certainly have never commented about Women's CC and I am sure you haven't either.

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    Aug. 26, 2012 10:27 a.m.

Dear ChrisB, only in your dreams will you make it to a BCS bowl in the next 4 years. You still can't even beat the worst team in your league.

Luv 2 Troll U. how come you are not in church? Remember, church is held various times throughout the day, and this may not be his scheduled time.

• Luv 2 Troll U Sandy, UT
    Aug. 26, 2012 10:09 a.m.

Y Grad,

Shouldn't you be at church?

I didn't say that last year, prove me wrong.

8-4 if they're lucky, honest (non-biased) opinion from this Ute fan. We can all think what we want Y Grad, shouldn't BYU have taught you this? I guess that's not the school to go to if you want free speech.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 26, 2012 9:54 a.m.

@Old Navy

Thanks for that gem!I have updated it so all I have to do is enter just two team names and the computer does the rest. Hope you don't mind!

Here's my first attempt at using it and look what happens!

"Ever since ESPN Game Day came to (Salt Lake) and (TCU) embarrassed us, the ride has been over. As a longtime season ticket holder, I clearly remember how over-matched and unprepared (Utah) was that day. It might be time for a change of leadership for the (Utah) football team."

Never mind if ESPN showed up or not, it just adds that certain 'zing' to the post.

Thanks Buddy!

and now a word from our sponsor...

Got satellite? Get Comcast NOW!

p.s. Thanks sammyg! I loved adding to your already fantastic post!

LOL!

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Aug. 26, 2012 8:43 a.m.

Old Navy

Thanks for this gem! I have updated it so all I have to do is just enter two team names and the computer does the rest. Hope you don't mind!

Here's my first attempt at using it and look what happens!

"Ever since ESPN Game Day came to (Salt Lake) and (Colorado) embarrassed us, the ride has been over. As a longtime season ticket holder, I clearly remember how over-matched and unprepared (Utah) was that day. It might be time for a change of leadership for the (Utah) football team."

Thanks Buddy!

and now a word from our sponsor...

Got satellite? Get Comcast NOW!

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Aug. 26, 2012 8:39 a.m.

Luv 2 Troll U
    Sandy, UT
    "Bronco says this every year.

8-4 if they're lucky."

And you say this every year.  One year in seven does not speak well of your prognosticating powers, oh great one.

Oh, and welcome to the rest of the trolls and supposed-BYU-fans who can't be bothered, yet you bothered to read.  And comment.

• IndeMak South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 26, 2012 8:26 a.m.

2012 college football preview: BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall has higher expectations than ever before.

His expectation is to beat a team with a winning record. And the fans go wild.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Aug. 26, 2012 6:04 a.m.

Chrissy - become a national champion little brother/sister, then we will talk. utah will be a middle to bottom feeder just ahead of arch rival colorado in their new home.

• Fat Tony EAGLE RIVER, AK
    Aug. 26, 2012 1:28 a.m.

Wow, so much negativity... even from those claiming to be BYU fans! I know it seems like we hear the same thing every year, but I believe it this year. I'll believe it next year, and the year after that, and the year after that... GO BYU!!!!!!!

• Old Navy Provo, UT
    Aug. 25, 2012 10:22 p.m.

Ever since ESPN Game Day came to Provo and TCU embarrassed us, the ride has been over. As a longtime season ticket holder, I clearly remember how over-matched and unprepared BYU was that day. It might be time for a change of leadership for the BYU football team.

• RedBlood Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 25, 2012 9:43 p.m.

A sincere, 'good luck' to BYU this year. BYU & Utah have a couple of things in common these days - questionable quarterbacks who need to prove themselves, and progressively more difficult schedules each year. Although there will be growing pains for both schools, these difficult schedules will, in my opinion, only make the programs stronger and better as they consistently go up against strong competition that helps both teams better understand their weaknesses and hopefully, over time, make it easier for them to focus on them and get better.

Although I am certainly rooting for the Utes come September 15th, I will be cheering for the Cougars in their other games. Hopefully the state's college football teams will continue to get better and stronger. I for one believe all our teams will be getting better and hope the Utes can find themselves in the Rose bowl and, dare I say, National Championship?

Go Utes!!!!

• Dnquixote Las Vegas, NV
    Aug. 25, 2012 8:19 p.m.

Mendenhall's success and consistency has been made possible by a consistently weak SOS. Everyone outside of happy valley knows this. It is not up for debate. That being said, BYU is going to remedy that in a big way next year.
    Rest assured, Cougar fans are in for a rude awakening. There will be no more excuses or justification for 7 straight cupcake games. My guess is that following 2013, BYU will go back to scheduling 3-4 competitive teams a year.
    And don't try to use Utah as a measuring stick. This has nothing to do with Utah. BYU is losing relevance in the national picture and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. Don't believe me? Take a look at the Major news outlets (Fox, ESPN, CBS Sports, etc. and see how many stories you can find about BYU compared to other schools.

• ConferenceofChampions Herriman, UT
    Aug. 25, 2012 7:50 p.m.

But the real question to be asked is: Will byu beat Utah this year?

And that answer is: Not Likely

But Las Cruces is nice in November from what I understand.

• Really??? Kearns, UT
    Aug. 25, 2012 7:38 p.m.

Wow. If a coach doesn't have high expectations for the team, how can you expect the players to have high expectations? I think this could be a breakout season for the Cougars. We won't know what the team will look like, however, until they walk onto the field Thursday night and play the game. I am looking forward to this season and watching two--maybe three--teams represent this state and make us all proud.

• don17 Temecula, CA
    Aug. 25, 2012 6:07 p.m.

As a BYU alum it is my opinion that this article just sets BYU up for another big fall at the beginning. Knocking the team down at the beginning again, just makes it harder to rebuild them to attack the rest of the season. This year though the schedule is tougher after the first 4 games so the 7 or 8 game win streak is less likely! It is one thing to build your team up, but to state Top 10 when as a coach you have not seen any other team yet is a STRETCH! I would love to see BYU put up a great season, but the reality is not on BYU's side!

Oklahoma, USC, LSU, Alabama and others start off at a higher level each year and end on a higher level each year.

Chris B, Utah is not one of those teams this year either. But, Utah has a better opportunity to have a great year if all stay healthy.

BYU needs to improve the play calling to top 25 to be top 25. The defense needs to be top 25 to be a top 25 team. I'm sorry I just don't see it!

• Louisiana Cougar Pineville, LA
    Aug. 25, 2012 4:50 p.m.

I am a long time Cougar fan who no longer is very interested in college football -- although I love hearing about and watching BYU basketball. BYU football ranks behind Women's Cross Country in my list of personal preferences.

Having stated my interests, I find it laughable to think that Coach Mendenhall or his fans think that BYU will be much better than 25th in the country this coming year.

I will read about the team as a diversion while I wait for hoops season. . . but I am not impressed with the Cougars as a squad. I am particularly concerned that the O-Line is swiss cheese this year. Given that situation, I anticipate that Riley Nelson will be knocked out of a couple of games and predict that the Cougars will get waxed by good teams once again.

I wish BYU football well . . . but can't take Mendenhall's "puffing" about being a top ten team very seriously.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 25, 2012 4:34 p.m.

Why dont you guys go to a bcs bowl sometimes? It's fun, trust us, we will possibly go for a third time this year. You really should try it sometime.

• PAC-12 Envy Taylorsville, UT
    Aug. 25, 2012 4:31 p.m.

Bronco says "...more expected now than ever before."

I thought perfection and a national championship have been expected every year.

So what's expected now... Super Bowl?

• BarkforSark PROVO, UT
    Aug. 25, 2012 4:22 p.m.

There's always hope, but the major concern obviously is just how far Riley Nelson is capable of taking the team. The team's 56.5 completion percentage on offense last year was the lowest of all seven years Bronco has been at BYU. The 5.5 total yards per play average was second lowest (Pretty sure everyone knows 2010 was the lowest). This was largely Nelson's doing. If there's a bright side, the defense has remained terrific.

Peraonally, I think the Cougs are in for a rude awakening against Wazzu. That's going to be a lot tougher game than I think most BYU fans realize.

• Luv 2 Troll U Sandy, UT
    Aug. 25, 2012 4:20 p.m.

Bronco says this every year.

8-4 if they're lucky.

• SoCalTrueBlue San Diego, CA
    Aug. 25, 2012 3:57 p.m.

I am as excited for the first game as I am for food on Fast Sunday afternoon.