BYU football: Cougar quarterback Riley Nelson walks the talk

• fender Washington, UT
    Aug. 29, 2012 1:48 p.m.

"Lighten up Francis." Words you could live by...but wouldn't think "Stripes" is sanctioned for you. LOL!

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    Aug. 25, 2012 10:02 p.m.

Riley really does represent what BYU is all about.

I just hope he can play some football against some good teams this year . . .

• Amorphous Saint George, Utah
    Aug. 25, 2012 6:15 a.m.

Nice fixation. Get over it. Next year it will be a bigger version of Riley (Taysom Hill) running the same kind of offense for three more years!

Perhaps it's time for you to sit back and watch old school BYU highlight reels or just find another team to follow before this affects your health and ours. Your comments are nauseating.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Aug. 24, 2012 11:23 p.m.

You and your 'friends' have been pretty fixated on Ducky and I lately. Has something changed?

Certainly no change on the PAC 12 Net situation.

Still no DirectTV for your dinky PAC 12 Network.

• Proud Ute ,
    Aug. 24, 2012 9:05 p.m.

You really think that do you? So.....does Sasquatch wear red or blue?
    Thanks for giving me a good laugh.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 24, 2012 5:57 p.m.

Highland, UT

"Just post where we can find one of them so we can verify your claim"

Who's we? You and Samantha?

• TrollPolice Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 24, 2012 5:54 p.m.

Proud Ute

You must be referring to the Utah trolls who are pretending to be BYU fans because they're too embarrassed to admit that they're actually Utah fans.

• Swoop Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 24, 2012 5:10 p.m.

"Hey MoronBlue, let me say it again...I am not a Ute fan!"

Juvenile name calling from another sad, miserable BYU hater?

Here's some advice. Lose the hate, it's not healthy.

• HCB63 Orem, UT
    Aug. 24, 2012 4:29 p.m.

Hey MoronBlue, let me say it again...I am not a Ute fan! You can make all the cracks you want about "the Hill" and I won't care one whit.

• Proud Ute ,
    Aug. 24, 2012 4:17 p.m.

Simple pleasures......
    Watching fickle cougar fans feed on each other. You all know you're your own worst enemy don't you.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 24, 2012 3:49 p.m.

I'm sure you can direct us to one of those "hate filled tirades"? Or is it just that you don't like to read anything other than sycophantic love for the university of utah?

Just post where we can find one of them so we can verify your claim.

• Serenity Now Highland, UT
    Aug. 24, 2012 2:42 p.m.

Riley is impressive and if he tackles medical school and his career/life the way his attitude is shown in this article, he will be an extremely successful and charitable doctor/husband/family man.

• kaspercasey gilbert, AZ
    Aug. 24, 2012 2:17 p.m.

Great kid, the kind you would like your daughter to date. As far as his on field performance, I think people are too harsh on judging it. He hasn't had that many starts yet and he won most of them. Just give the kid a chance to show what he can do on the field. My guess is that he will be better than last year and lead BYU to another 10 win season. If he can beat the "U" then nothing else matters. They can go 8-4 and BYU fans will be satisfied with the season if they beat the "U". His career (maybe unfairly) will be mostly judged off of that one game. I'm rooting for the kid to succeed.

• UofUgrad05 American Fork, UT
    Aug. 24, 2012 1:58 p.m.

@ Duckhunter

Riley does exemplify what BYU is all about, its unfortunate that you do not with your hate filled tirades.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 24, 2012 1:39 p.m.

@pa. reader

Like I said "lighten up". BYU's gromming standard calls for hair off the shoulder, not a butch. I'm sure you're the type that insists every single male member wears a white shirt on Sunday, no stripes, no other colors allowed. If Riley's hair is not to standard then they won't let him take his tests.

As far as the headline goes it is a play on that expression, it isn't trying to be that expression.

"Lighten up Francis".

• birwin Herrmian, UT
    Aug. 24, 2012 1:38 p.m.

Pa Reader

That is why the headline makes sense. Think about it...

Also, Hair does not keep one out of heaven. It might keep one out of BYU, but the two places are different.

• CordonBleu Park City, UT
    Aug. 24, 2012 1:23 p.m.

"This story makes me gag."

That's understandable considering that frail little thing U have for a QB on the hill.

• CordonBleu Park City, UT
    Aug. 24, 2012 1:14 p.m.

"Riley Nelson hasn't done anything yet."

Read ESPN article "BYU's Nelson reclaims starting job" by Ivan Maisel - maybe it'll open your eyes a little to the big picture.

I'd rather have hundred competitors like Riley, than one 5-star recruit who is more worried about taking a hit, than winning a game.

• lasermann Orem, UT
    Aug. 24, 2012 12:53 p.m.

Refreshing attitude in today's "me-first" world. Whiners/Haters, give Riley a chance. His work ethic and attitude have earned him a shot. If he doesn't perform, then you can start complaining ...

• dallas realist rockwall, texas
    Aug. 24, 2012 12:09 p.m.

@Pa. Reader

are you serious? riley's hair is not against standards as long as it is off his ears. worry about yourself

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Aug. 24, 2012 12:07 p.m.

@PA Reader: Your young men in your stake are not required to meet BYU's hair standards. The church has no hair standards.

I think Nelson's hair looks cool. There is no church rule that a member's hair has to meet some standard. Heck, I wish I HAD hair like Nelson. Lucky for me, bald is OK on campus.

• tiburon Sacramento, CA
    Aug. 24, 2012 11:34 a.m.

To PA Reader and all other 'Hair' critics:

What are you talking about? Have you even seen Riley's hair? Riley's hair doesn't even violate the honor code. Here is what the honor code says for men, "trimmed above the collar and leaving the ears uncovered."
    If you are not morally opposed to YouTube, check out the recent videos of his interviews from the BYU Sports channel. The most recent is of him doing an interview on Aug 16th, 2012.
    Go to about :39 seconds, pause, and you will clearly see that his hair is trimmed above his collar, and his ears are uncovered. Think it's a recent cut? Nope, go to the videos from Spring camp 4 months ago. Same hairstyle.
    What about that style do your young men find confusing? My guess is this is more of a 'you' issue. Now you have one less thing to worry about from your exalted vantage point.

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    Aug. 24, 2012 11:20 a.m.

He can't throw the ball. He panics in the pocket. I saw him against TCU in a game we should have won. Too bad Bronco has made this guy a hero.

• BYU Deek Spanish Fork, UT
    Aug. 24, 2012 11:18 a.m.

The grooming standards set forth by the Honor Code Office of BYU state that hair must be kept above shoulder length and must be groomed. In other words, combed and looking nice. Looking at the picture, it appears that Riley's hair is within the Honor Code standards, and is within policy guidelines set forth by the University. Sorry if you don't like his hair cut, PA. BYU's policy for haircuts is not the same as the MTC's. Have a nice day.

• Ragnar Danneskjold Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 24, 2012 10:04 a.m.

He is giving talks in Cache Valley? I thought he had to slip in under the cover of night in Logan to visit his family.
    Anyway, interesting article. The hair thing is a dumb rule, but it is one of those things where he is getting special treatment. He had it long in October for the USU game, so don't tell me he cuts it for school every year. I think they even had an article on it. However stupid the rule, he still needs to follow it. That is BYU.

• HCB63 Orem, UT
    Aug. 24, 2012 9:49 a.m.

This story makes me gag.
    Riley Nelson...the Hero...the Star.
    I swoon in his presence.
    I am starstruck by his awesomeness.
    The leader of leaders.
    The player who sees only "I" in team.
    He's my personal hero....
    ...seriously. I think this article made me sick to my stomach...

• Wildcat O-town, UT
    Aug. 24, 2012 9:47 a.m.

@PA reader:

Maybe Mitt Romney can round up some friends to hold Riley down while he cuts his hair--he's done it before. LOL!

• Wildcat O-town, UT
    Aug. 24, 2012 9:45 a.m.

Hey this is one where Duckhunter and I agree on--although he once posted on not liking a Ute Softball player's haircut style, so I am not sure he is being consistent.

Lighten up PA reader. I have never seen a portrait of the Savior where he's sporting a high and tight. I think we need to get over the hair issue.

It did give me a good laugh though. Here's hoping Riley does alright, except for the Weber State game of course.

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    Aug. 24, 2012 9:29 a.m.

Regarding the comments about hair... just remember that school is not yet in session. I'm sure once school has started Riley will do what he did last year, and the year before and get a haircut. I don't know if I've met a male BYU student who didn't let his hair or facial hair go a little over summer break.

• Cougarista Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 24, 2012 9:17 a.m.

He's fun to watch and a great young man. Represents BYU well. After all is said, football is not life itself.

• BYU>utah Provo, UT
    Aug. 24, 2012 8:31 a.m.

Riley Nelson hasn't done anything yet. He hasn't beat a top 25 team. I'm not sure he is any good. I'd like to see Lark or Taysom Hill play once Nelson gets hurt. I sure hope Nelson proves me wrong, but look how he played against utah, TCU and Tulsa last year.

• Pa. Reader Harrisburg, PA
    Aug. 24, 2012 8:26 a.m.

The correct expression is:

He not only talks the talk, he walks the walk.

As written, the headline is nonsensical and would be rejected by any copy editor.

When Aaronic Priesthood holders in our stake ask why the BYU quarterback doesn't have to follow the same grooming standards as their older brothers, "lighten up" is not an appropriate response.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Aug. 24, 2012 8:25 a.m.

Geez looking at this photo of Nelson standing next to the other QB's it is shocking to see how short this guy really is. He looks to be no more than 5'10" tall at best. Maybe even 5'9".

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Aug. 24, 2012 8:22 a.m.

Riley Nelson is NOT a standard BYU QB by any means. Let's compare.

Giff Neilsen (NFL Houston Oilers)
    Marc Wilson (NFL Oakland Raiders)
    Jim McMahon (NFL Chicago Bears - Super Bowl winner)
    Steve Young (NFL San Francisco 49ers - Super Bowl winner)
    Robbie Bosco (NFL Green Bay Packers)
    Ty Detmer (NFL Green Bay Packers - Heisman Trophy winner)
    Steve Sarkisian (USC and now Washington Head coach)
    John Beck (NFL Washington Redskins)
    Max Hall (NFL Arizona Cardinals)

Every single one of these QB's were drop back passers - record setting passers. These guys were the ones that set the standard at BYU and every BYU QB - until now - has tried to fit into this mold. Like Alabama running backs or Penn State linebackers BYU was known for its NFL style offense and drop back passing QB's.... until now.

Brandon Doman and Bronco have attempted to change BYU from its past standard of passing excellence into some sort of goofy run - scramble offense using undersized QB's. I think this is all Doman's influence and it certainly was at odds with what Brad Anae brought.

BYU isn't BYU anymore. No more identity. Sad to see the program implode like this.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 24, 2012 8:13 a.m.

"Lighten up Francis"

As far as the headline, it is a play on words.

• Pa. Reader Harrisburg, PA
    Aug. 24, 2012 7:57 a.m.

If Riley wants to be a positive example of BYU he needs to get a haircut.
    It might seem to be a trivial thing but to anyone who has attended an LDS school it is another example of an athlete being allowed to ignore a rule that other students are forced to follow.

By the way, the correct expression is "walks the walk." Your headline makes no sense.

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    Aug. 23, 2012 11:28 p.m.

Good comment. I would only add that he brought his team from behind against Utah State as he did not start the game. Like you, I am withholding judgement until we see him play some teams like BSU and Utah from start to finish. I will say the loss against TCU last year had nothing to do with him. He had a very good game against a tough defense. Special teams laid an egg.

• Vladhagen Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 23, 2012 10:07 p.m.

What's not to like about Riley? He makes me want to be his teammate. He won't win a Heisman (let's be honest here), but who cares? Let's hope they beat some teams with good SOS this year.

Aug. 23, 2012 9:36 p.m.

I actually like Nelson and think he has a certain moxie that helps his team. However if you are honest, he led BYU to 2 wins last year over teams with winning records - Utah State and Tulsa. Both were the result of last minute TD drives and had a little bit of 'luck' keeping the drives alive. This doesn't make him a bad qb but I'm holding judgement until he beats some stronger teams.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Aug. 23, 2012 8:29 p.m.

I like it when we hear about kids donating their time like this.

I also like it when I hear about kids donating their hair for cancer patients, etc.

When it comes to selfless acts of charity and service it's simply great that young people understand the importance of these things.

The stupid comments speak volumes for their contributors when we're talking about these kinds of things.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 23, 2012 8:25 p.m.

great kid, I hope he has a dream season.

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    Aug. 23, 2012 8:24 p.m.

Great attitude. The team appreciates his approach also. I hope he speaks at the ND fireside.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Aug. 23, 2012 7:30 p.m.

This time last year everyone was saying that Jake Heaps was "the next Jimmer." It only took one game (which BYU won interestingly enough) for him to go into downward spiral of unpopularity. I wish Riley better luck.

• Scott Farcus Beaver, UT
    Aug. 23, 2012 6:53 p.m.

From the article; "Being the BYU quarterback means always standing in the spotlight, doing countless interviews, and dealing with overwhelming scrutiny and pressure."

Riley does do that very well, unlike a past Q we all know of. As a Ute fan Ive never heard any negative comments come from Riley, very impressive. I also liked his noncom-forming attitude with the hair, Im still trying to figure out how he gets in the test center.

All in all, an impressive young man.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Aug. 23, 2012 6:37 p.m.

What an inspirational article. I'm not sure if Riley will make a living playing football, but I know he'll be very successful at whatever he does. He's a kid that has his head on straight, unlike a lot of other college athletes. I'm glad he's out QB and I'm hoping for a great season.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 23, 2012 6:15 p.m.

Y Grad / Y Dad
    Richland, WA

If Dick Harman or Greg Wrubel has a vote - no doubt he will.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Aug. 23, 2012 5:51 p.m.

Mildred in Fillmore
    Salt Lake City, UT

Riley should receive votes this year for the Heisman.

Actually, Mildred, he just might.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 23, 2012 5:20 p.m.

Nice job Riley. You represent BYU well.

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 23, 2012 4:46 p.m.

Riley should receive votes this year for the Heisman.

• Cougar Cindy Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 23, 2012 4:33 p.m.

Go Cougars, Go Riley! So glad you're at the helm this year.