Sports

BYU football: Erstwhile quarterback Alex Kuresa now on the receiving end of passes

Comments

• CT98 Saint George, UT
    Aug. 23, 2012 9:41 a.m.

Using Alex in the wildcat formation would be sweet. Can't wait to see him bust loose for a 30 yard bomb to Hoffman.

• The Dixie Kid Saint George, UT
    Aug. 23, 2012 6:14 a.m.

Tanner Mangum should be starting QB after Hilll has graduated. If Kuresa wants to play QB, he will likely do it on the sideline.

• kfbob SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Aug. 22, 2012 9:00 p.m.

unfortunately BYU is in a quandary, what do you do with a guy that short, slow and small? I was shocked that they even offered him a scholarship. He would probably be better served at Div II or III.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 22, 2012 9:00 p.m.

@utah'95

It would only be "dishonest" based on what he was told and/or promised when he was recruited.

I'm not sure how it could be "criminal"? Exaggerate much?

It would only be "foolish" if you left yourself without any other viable qb's that season.

I'll leave it up to you to decide which coaches might have done any of those things and when.

• Proud Ute ,
    Aug. 22, 2012 8:04 p.m.

Utah 95,

To be honest, I think that's just the cougar trolls talking.
    Nice to see Bronco try to do the best for the young men AND the program.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Aug. 22, 2012 6:47 p.m.

"- It is unacceptable (dishonest/criminal/foolish, etc.) for Utah to sign a high school QB and convert him to a defensive player?"

You have it right Utah'95.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Aug. 22, 2012 5:24 p.m.

I really like this kid's attitude. A real team player. And from what I understand, as the scout team QB last year he gave the first team defense everything they could handle. I hope he gets a fair competition at the starting position when he gets back from his mission.

Good for him!

• Downtownchrisbrown ,
    Aug. 22, 2012 4:27 p.m.

Having him on the field also gives the option for trick plays as well.

• Utah'95 FPO, AE
    Aug. 22, 2012 4:13 p.m.

Let's see if I have this right:

- It's OK to sign a high school quarterback and have him play receiver at BYU.

Huh, that is interesting....

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Aug. 22, 2012 3:57 p.m.

Seriously, you have to love these young men wanting so bad to help the team in any way they can, that they set aside their own dreams, they volunteer to do what is needed. All that AND willing to put it on the shelf for two years while he serves a higher calling.

That's my kind of man.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Aug. 22, 2012 3:49 p.m.

Whadaya say, Wayne? Should he maybe return punts too?