Sports

NFL: Colts confirm former BYU receiver Austin Collie sustained another concussion

Comments

• Elmer Fudd Sandy, Utah
    Aug. 24, 2012 12:48 p.m.

@ dallas realist

I can tell your probably went to BYU or a die hard fan. But if you put yourself in a non-LDS person's shoes or someone who doesn't go to BYU. You would take Austin Collie's original quote "Obviously, if you do what's right on and off the field, I think the Lord steps in and plays a part in it. Magic happens" as a self righteous comment. A player should not go out and say the Lord played a part in their team's victory. The Lord doesn't do favors for one team and not the other. There should be no place in sports for those kind of comments.

Coincidentally he played for BYU and you wonder why people think students who go to BYU are self righteous, holier than thou people. It's comments like Austin Collie's that people think of BYU that way.

• dallas realist rockwall, texas
    Aug. 23, 2012 5:42 p.m.

Austin Collie later said, "I just think it's absolutely ridiculous that people take something like that [his earlier quote] and blow it up. I really think it's because I'm a Mormon white kid from Brigham Young University. Anybody else says that from any other team and it's just 'how spiritual that guy is.'"

Get over it Ute fans!!!

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Aug. 23, 2012 1:13 p.m.

I didn't like Collie the college player, what he said was and still is part of the fun of the Holy War rivalry. However, he is a genuinely good guy with great talent. It is a shame to see him go through what he is going through. I wish him the best and hope for his good health.

• phoenix Gilbert, AZ
    Aug. 22, 2012 11:51 p.m.

Duckhunter

You can tell you're hitting a little too close to the truth when the kids on the hill get their boxers in a bunch over one innocuous comment.

Judging by the hysteria still emanating from the hill, Austin's comment was right on the mark.

• Proud Ute ,
    Aug. 22, 2012 8:08 p.m.

@Scott,
    I agree, Elmer gets the win.
    Epic fail on the trolls attempt at deflection.

• Scott Farcus Beaver, UT
    Aug. 22, 2012 1:32 p.m.

Collie now joins the NFL Concussion Club Association (NCCA), with past members like Steve Young and Joe Montana not very popular and a club you don’t want to join. Walk now Collie you don’t want to end up like Muhammad Ali shaking like a leaf and cant speak, results from dings to the head.

Regarding; Duckhunter vs Elmer Fudd

LOL! Duckhunter, Elmer Fudd? Great exchange but, aren’t you guys the same person? I’m confused, wasn’t Mr. Fudd a Duck hunter?
    I remember that cartoon; Duck season, Rabbit season! Funny as heck.

If you’re the same guy nice trolling, if your two different people, I vote for Mr.Fudd in this round, burnnn!

Duck season, Kaboom!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 21, 2012 10:06 p.m.

@elmer

I see I touched a nerve.

LOL!

• GoGetter Sandy, UT
    Aug. 21, 2012 5:48 p.m.

Elmer Fudd sure got you Quackers.

Collie needs to give it up, he's not meant for the NFL.

• Proud Ute ,
    Aug. 21, 2012 3:55 p.m.

Troll,
    Nobody said anything about the institution, it was about his comments and the arena or context in which he chose to share them.
    Your projection on us of whatever insecurity your sporting is over-ruled. The negativity and confliction are all yours buddy boy.

• Cougar Alumni Beaver, UT
    Aug. 21, 2012 3:54 p.m.

@ Duckhunter & Elmer Fudd.

That exchange was hilarious! D NEWS needs to put that in the classical comments archives! Excellent!

As for Collie, to achieve the ring there is a lot of luck involved and part of that is the right team, injuries and health. I don't think the future looks to bright for him now after this injury rely in the season.

Best wishes

• Elmer Fudd Sandy, Utah
    Aug. 21, 2012 3:26 p.m.

@ Duckhunter your entire paragraph spews negativity, a person that ends his comment by saying " Glad I don't have such conflictions." usually does.

As to your Collies comment; "That he believed that living right on and off the field made magic happen?" it sounds like your saying the magic has disappeared with his demise, you can draw your own conclusion from your own words.

Duckhunter, No matter how you say it; Duck season, Rabbit season, Duck season, Rabbit season, Rabbit season, Duck season. Daffy Duck still got shot.

Karma my friend,

Elmer Fudd

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Aug. 21, 2012 2:12 p.m.

I also cheer for Weddle and other Utes in the NFL despite some of the things they have said in the past. Collie has a ton of talent and its sad to see that his career will most likely be cut short. Good luck to Austin in getting well.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 21, 2012 2:11 p.m.

What did Collie say that was bad? That he believed that living right on and off the field made magic happen? Yea what a terrible thing to say. I understand why utah "utah fans" are so bitter about it though. It all stems to their inferiority complex and their inability to personally rectify their hate of one of the LDS churches most important institutions, BYU. I understand that it must be hard to consider oneself an active and worthy member yet still harbor actual hate for one of the formost institutions of the church you claim to be a part of.

Glad I don't have such conflictions.

• reasonableUTE Provo, UT
    Aug. 21, 2012 11:53 a.m.

I hate to say it, assuming that he is living right on and off the field, I think he now understands that what he said was dead wrong...

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Aug. 21, 2012 1:27 a.m.

I also did not appreciate Austin Collie's comments back when, but I am still very sorry to see Austin's talent being overtaken by concussions. To continue to be productive in the NFL, Collie will have to go over the middle as a possession type WR.

The scary part of these concussion hits is that none of them have been overly brutal relative to the NFL. Now if I took those hits, I just might be in a coma. Still, if Collie keeps playing and gets drilled by a Safety running a skinny post, then Collie's brain function for the future would be threatened too much to be worth playing anymore.

I root for Collie, but I think I am leaning on hoping he retires at this point. Either way, these concussions are a downer, as Collie is a super talented WR.

• Proud Ute ,
    Aug. 20, 2012 7:33 p.m.

Like Hall's I thought his statements were incredibly ill advised but cheered for him in the NFL, choosing to move forward and support all those that come out of Utah schools.
    Best wishes to the young man. I'm sure he's getting wise counsel from those close to him.

• DeepBlue Anaheim, CA
    Aug. 20, 2012 7:03 p.m.

As much as I admire Austin's talent and courage, it may be time for Austin to walk away from the game while he still can.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Aug. 20, 2012 6:40 p.m.

Time to think about retiring and coming back to BYU Austin.

• reasonableUTE Provo, UT
    Aug. 20, 2012 6:18 p.m.

as a Ute fan, and a mormon, I don't appreciate some of the things Collie has said in the past, you all know what i'm talking about, but all baises aside, this really stinks. He has given his heart, soul, and likely his health for the foreseeable future in order to succeed in football. Though I don't agree with some of his past statements, he has represented himself and BYU very well since entering the NFL. It would have been neat to see what he could have done. From a Utah fan, I wish he and his family good luck.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 20, 2012 5:43 p.m.

With each successive concussion one's brain becomes increasingly susceptible to subsequent concussions.

Austin, I wish you the best. Be wise. You aren't immortal. You have many things to contribute your family, your sport, and the world. Again, be wise.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 20, 2012 5:34 p.m.

I wish him well. Hopefully, he is prepared for life beyond football if it comes to that.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 20, 2012 3:51 p.m.

Good luck and get well soon. I hope Austin can avoid these in the future and continue with his career. I admire those who choose to serve and don't put athletics first when they turn 19.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Aug. 20, 2012 3:51 p.m.

my fear with Collie is he will stay too long and sustain a devastating concussion. Collie is concussion prone and there is nothing that can be done about that. A receiver is going to get drilled - in the helmet - when crossing the middle and Austin can't handle that. I am thinking his playing days are over.