Sports

BYU football: Tom Holmoe discusses recruiting, the rivalry, scheduling issues and the 'secret sauce' of success at Education Week

Comments

• Mount Olympus Salt Lake, UT
    Aug. 16, 2012 7:00 p.m.

I guess Wisconsin is not a home and home.
    I read several places that they were coming to Provo. Guess not.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 16, 2012 7:20 p.m.

Only question for byu fans is will weber, WSU, or Utah essentially end your season? I almost hope can get by Washington state and weber so we can be the ones to do it.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 16, 2012 9:22 p.m.

Utah 32
    byu 10
    riley 4 turnovers

1. Utah has better athletes
    2. Utah has far superior coaching
    3. Utah gets up for big games(see 54-10, 2-0 in BCS games(which included 20+ games of "must wins" in order to get to the BCS in the first place
    4. BYU has better friday firesides

I'll be posting all year to remind you.

• Elk Hair Caddis Sandy, UT
    Aug. 16, 2012 10:39 p.m.

Nothing in the world of fans is as sad as sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity

• phoenix Gilbert, AZ
    Aug. 16, 2012 11:53 p.m.

The "superior coach" on the hill has already lost to as many 10-loss teams in his short 7-year head-coaching stint, as BYU has lost during it's ENTIRE FOOTBALL HISTORY.

Kyle LOST to every one of them, and has continued his bottom dweller losing ways, losing to TWO PAC teams with losing records in only his first year in the PAC, and barely beating WSU.

Your "far superior coaching" can't even beat 10-loss teams.

• Duckhunted highland, utah
    Aug. 17, 2012 2:08 a.m.

We are happy to recruit the best Utah LDS recruits....because we know we will never be in the varsity conferences so we will be happy being the best JV team in Utah!!!

• #1 SLC Sports Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 17, 2012 6:28 a.m.

BYU will NEVER beat the University of Utah in football again, so continuing the rivalry is moot. Utah has been invited to and is participating in the Pac-12 Conference, BYU has been invited to NOTHING, and WILL NEVER be invited to anything, which is what you heard Tom Holmoe elude to.

BYU should just DROP their football program, it is incompatible with the gospel mission and merely trains and encourages young men to play on Sunday. They won't play on Sunday as a school, why are they encouraging this behavior?

BYU should cut back their enrollment by roughly half or more (10,000-15,000 is plenty for a religious liberal arts college) and abolish ALL post graduate and professional schools. The church should only have a limited mission in higher education and intellectualism is something it should never be a party to. The Law & Business schools should NEVER have become what they have, and the catchment of LDS students has only injured the relevance of other in-state institutions such as Utah State University. Rexburg outsourced an MBA program to USU why not Provo?

Change the naem to BYC...Brigham Young College.

• LVIS Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 17, 2012 7:21 a.m.

"If utah beats byu I'll sing the byu fight song and post it on youtube..."

Clearly, Chris B, you must believe that BYU is the better team to make this kind of promise. Glad to see you're finally seeing the light.

• Hawkeye79 Iowa City, IA
    Aug. 17, 2012 7:43 a.m.

"If utah beats byu I'll sing the byu fight song and post it on youtube and I won't post on a byu artile all year." -Chris B

Wow, Chris B! So, by your own word of honor, you are promising:
    -If Utah wins, you'll sing the BYU fight song, post it on Youtube, and not post on any more BYU articles for a year.
    -Only if BYU wins will you post any additional comments on any BYU articles for the year.

That's quite generous of you! I hope you will prove to the world that your promises have value.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 17, 2012 8:08 a.m.

LIVS and Hawkeye,

My sincere apologies for my typo. If Utah gets beat by BYU I will not post on a single BYU article for a whole year. I've made the same promise the last 2 years, when it became apparent the two programs were headed in different directions(one into constant BCS glory and the other further into irrelvance).

I'll stand by my promise - if byu beats Utah I won't post on a byu article all year!

Don't hold your breath - I'll be posting all yeart

Utah 32
    byu 10
    riley 4 turnovers

• Scott Farcus Beaver, UT
    Aug. 17, 2012 8:30 a.m.

Holmoe; "Holmoe explained that the difference between winning and losing — in any sport — largely depends on the athletes.The secret sauce is our kids."

Wrong Tom! The secret sauce is your weak sauce schedule that keeps the Y in the W column.

Look very close at your oval Y logo, see the blue arrow? Its pointing Down, that's where you've taken the Y program.

• SCCougar LEXINGTON, SC
    Aug. 17, 2012 8:50 a.m.

Hey #1: The only reason BYU wont beat Utah past next year is because you no longer want to play with the BIG CATS.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 17, 2012 8:51 a.m.

A natual fit:

Idaho is seeking independence in football (and big sky for other athletics). It would be natural for the Y and Idaho to expand their late season rivalry by playing each other 3 (or 5?) times. This would expand the rivalry to greater heights and significance. And it would provide home games for each school late in the season. Think of it - the best of 5 winner each year!

• WACPaddingOurSchedule pocatello, ID
    Aug. 17, 2012 9:25 a.m.

phoenix
    Gilbert, AZ

Your "far superior coaching" can't even beat 10-loss teams.

____________

Your inferior coaching can't beat San Jose St. or Colorado.

BYU is 6-9 all time against San Jose St.
    BYU is 3-8-1 all time against Colorado.

Get over it.

Hope you win against New Mexico St. & San Jose St. on the road.

LOL!

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Aug. 17, 2012 9:40 a.m.

Even Utah has taken a beating for the top players in 2013. Losing the top 3 4 star players to Alabama, Stanford, and Arizona.

@phoenix: "Bronco was UNDEFEATED against the MWC bottom dwellers - CSU, Wyoming, New Mexico, and UNLV"

It seems BYU has its "Quest Perfected", congrats!!

• J W springville, UT
    Aug. 17, 2012 11:06 a.m.

It's funny to me how Ute fans claim BYU will never beat them again and then hope that BYU shuts down it's football program. I know it's a joke but if someone seriously though that, they would be very poorly informed.

I like how cocky some Ute fans are after just two wins in a row. I don't remember Cougar fans being so cocky in '07 after two wins in a row.

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    Aug. 17, 2012 11:11 a.m.

@Uteology "According to Rivals BYU used to get the top instate recruits but ever since Utah joined the PAC-12 BYU has been taking a beating on the field and signing state recruits."

Also according to Rivals, Utah has had a better recruiting class than BYU over the last 6 years, yet their record against each other during those six year is 3-3 (and if collegiate referees could correctly call a downed knee, it'd be 4-2 in favor of the Cougs, but c'est la vie).

I would say the only recruits that Utah has gotten that I didn't expect them to since they joined the PAC 12 are Chase Hansen and Harrison Handley. BYU has gotten the top recruit in the state 2 out of the last 3 years (Ryker Matthews, Troy Hinds). Utah got Harvey Langi.

The point U brought up about top recruits leaving the state to go to school is more concerning to me. BYU and Utah should be able to keep these guys here. Bot schools need to step it up in that area.

Go Cougars!

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    Aug. 17, 2012 11:17 a.m.

@All Ute Fans

Lol, I think it's funny that y'all are here in droves, talking about how superior Utah is and how U will beat down the Cougars again this year.

So I guess you're saying U expect BYU to just give U the ball 4 times like they did last year? And to turn it over 7 times in all?

Here's the thing, Utah fans: your teams isn't very good. I've re-watched last year's game a couple of times, and I will be shocked if the Utes don't lose by more than 14 points to BYU this year.

Jake Heaps threw for over 300 yards only once in his career...last year against Utah. And that was with him sitting for the last 6 minutes of the 4th quarter.

Cody Hoffman and Ross Apo combined for almost 200 yds receiving that game. Your secondary isn't very good, and couldn't stay with either of those guys.

Jordan Wynn is, at his best, an average QB. Your O-line is fat this year and breaking in two new tackles (should be fun for KVN and Ziggy).

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    Aug. 17, 2012 11:25 a.m.

@All Utah Fans continued

U had two legitimate TD drives on our defense last year...at the end of the 1st half, and the beginning of the 2nd half (and both drives were extended because of a couple of PI calls on the defense on 3rd and long). U scored another 21 points on 6 total yds of offense and your two other TD's came on long TD runs by John White IV in the 4th QTR when our D had quit, as U like to put it.

Up to that point, our D had held John White to 14 yds rushing on 12 carries. He's a great back, but I'm not too worried about him, seeing as how our D contained him pretty well last year and I'm pretty sure they won't quit this year.

Your top 5 WR's (supposedly the top WR corps in the PAC, according to a recent article in the D News) only had 200 more receiving yds than our top 2 guys, and 9 less TD's.

U held our offense to 10 points last year, which was our average through 2 games with Heaps at QB.

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    Aug. 17, 2012 11:31 a.m.

@All Utah Fans continued

U had the 106th best offense in the nation last year. 106th! Even with Jordan Wynn, that number doesn't go up by much (remember, this is the same Jordan Wynn who passed for 101 yds in the opener against Montana St, and hasn't passed for over 300 yards in a game since the SDSU game in 2010).

With a brand new, 25 year old offensive coordinator and a starting QB who is apparently getting pushed hard for the starting job by a former DII QB and a freshman, I don't see your offense starting off particularly well.

And U really think that Utah's going to blow out BYU?

Last year, we would've made Idaho look like Alabama if we had just given them the ball 4 times and turned it over 7. That's why it's called an aberration, or a fluke. It happened once last year and, unfortunately, it came against U.

I'm glad you're predicting a blow out. It'll make BYU's win that much sweeter.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 17, 2012 12:16 p.m.

Pretty much every year we get the best recruiting classes ever so that's why we keep getting better in Provo and sending players to the NFL all the time.

• J W springville, UT
    Aug. 17, 2012 2:27 p.m.

@truecoug1

Not to mention that Jordan Wynn has injured his throwing arm and today is his second day not practicing. Back to the drawing board for the Utes.

• Juice Box Eureka, UT
    Aug. 17, 2012 2:53 p.m.

Truecougie,

Want a tissue? Your team is IRRELEVANT! I don't blame you for having a tantrum right now, I would too if I were you.

• Elmer Fudd Sandy, Utah
    Aug. 17, 2012 2:55 p.m.

@ J W

"Not to mention that Jordan Wynn has injured his throwing arm and today is his second day not practicing. Back to the drawing board for the Utes".

You forgot to mention that Jordan Wynn is 2-0 against BYU with his injured shoulder. LOL

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Aug. 17, 2012 3:24 p.m.

@truecoug1

---------

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Aug. 17, 2012 5:17 p.m.

Wow - lots of words but nothing of substance said by Tom other than the BIG 12 and BYU is a dead issue. Interestingly enough the ONLY thing long time Y fans really care about is getting BYU into the BIG 12 and that is a dead issue? I guess fans can feel good about the fact that the players love each other ... after they get pounded by Boise , the U and ND. This article basically says one thing very loudly - BYU is mediocre and fans better get used to it for the foreseeable future!! Yuk! I kind of had to swallow hard after Tom said that little Riley Nelson is expected to be "fantastic". Geez - tone it down Tom - when you start calling Nelson fantastic I have to roll my eyes at just about everything else you said.

• Wallbanger Spanish Fork, UT
    Aug. 17, 2012 5:48 p.m.

25 plus comments and no Duckhunter or sammyg?? Oh that's right, they're camping out on the Ute boards spewing they're hatred and obsession...my bad.

On the rarity I do post on a BYU thread, let me say good luck to all Utah schools. I think if BYU wants to move to the next level, they need to get rid of Holmoe and Mendenhall. And this is what most BYU fans I live by and work with think as well. The biggest Y fan I know and work with didn't renew season tickets this year for the first time in 15 years due to his and many others frustrations. 2013 schedule for BYU looks solid, but with the Y rebuilding in many key positions, it could be a six or seven loss next season.

80 plus percent of my co-workers and neighbors are Y fans to some extent, and we have these discussions all the time. And these ARE the fans that tell me these things, not just my opinion. Best of luck to you cougs, except on Sept 15th.

• Mount Olympus Salt Lake, UT
    Aug. 17, 2012 5:57 p.m.

truecoug1 : U lost to 4 teams who finished last year with a combined 23-29 record by 65 points.

BYU lost to Utah by 44 points. It is funny that you say some of Utah's points came after BYU quit. Tough teams don't quit.

Utah's defense is bigger, stronger, and faster this year.
    The game is at Rice-Eccles.
    Why should we expect a different result this year?
    When BYU get's down 20 points are they going to quit?
    Why should we expect a different result this year?

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Aug. 17, 2012 10:01 p.m.

@truecoug1

----------

I just looked at the two scoring drives, there were no such penalties on BYU.

The only penalty was on "3rd and short" on BYU during the 2nd drive:

3rd and 3 at UTAH 32BYU penalty 6 yard Pass Interference on Preston Hadley accepted, no play.

The biggest reason was big plays by Utah players:

Jordan Wynn pass complete to Jake Murphy for 30 yards for a TOUCHDOWN. 13 10

Jordan Wynn pass complete to Dres Anderson for 59 yards for a TOUCHDOWN. 20 10

• JmThms Henderson, NV
    Aug. 17, 2012 11:37 p.m.

Chris B:

You forgot to mention: Utah also has the inferiority complex. That drives all of the anti BYU sentiment.

• souptwins Lindon, UT
    Aug. 18, 2012 12:05 a.m.

It's always fascinating to me that I can read an article about BYU and hope to see some interesting football discussion in the comments but only find arrogant U fans filling the place up with hot air. I just read the Utah article on the Trib. site about Wynn's shoulder and all the comments were actually pertinent to the article and nearly all from Utah fans. Can you say "obsessed"? Some of you people need to seek therapy.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Aug. 18, 2012 9:07 a.m.

Wallbanger

Yep, several of us are certainly having our fun with the glorious PAC 12 Network and it's national MIA status. But again, how you confuse our fun and sarcasm at U're expense for hatred is beyond me. It's all the plain and simple truth.

I personally think Mr. Holmoe and Coach Mendenhall are great men. I like football independence, schedule is improving and our sports programs, that includes ALL of them, is overall better than the U. That's a compelling difference to a college that has mediocre football and quality gymnastics.

In your discussions with your 80% LDS neighbors and coworkers what did they have to say about the recent flap with Blechen's suspension, legalizing marijuana and such?

• Bleed Crimson Sandy, Utah
    Aug. 18, 2012 9:13 a.m.

@ souptwins

"It's always fascinating to me that I can read an article about BYU and hope to see some interesting football discussion in the comments but only find arrogant U fans filling the place up with hot air. I just read the Utah article on the Trib. site about Wynn's shoulder and all the comments were actually pertinent to the article and nearly all from Utah fans. Can you say "obsessed"? Some of you people need to seek therapy".

Same can be said about arrogant BYU fans on Utah articles. I'm tired of all these double standards! Nothing is going to change Y fans trolling U articles and U fans trolling Y articles. So don't bother writing comments that pin points just U fans when Y fans do the same.

• Wallbanger Spanish Fork, UT
    Aug. 18, 2012 10:47 a.m.

Sammy

What does legalizing marijuana and Blechen have to do with seven or eight posts out of thirty five or so on a Utah board from you and your twin brother ducky? And none to one on a BYU board? Now you're just trying to be negative. My point is, you guys post way more on the Utah boards than your own, and yet you claim we're obsessed and you're not. You and duckboy want Utah to fail in everything in the PAC 12, network and all. I know some U fans were "pounding their chests" about the PAC 12 network. But you guys did as well, if not more about the ESPN deal.

Let me be the better guy and say, I wish your Cougars the best of luck (except Sept 15th) in all your future en-devours. The trolling will always go both ways with this rivalry, but some "fans" have way too much time on their hands on theses boards. So excited for football to start for the Y, USU and the Utes. Two weeks to go...GO UTES!!

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Aug. 18, 2012 9:48 p.m.

Wallbanger

Obviously the DNews won't allow me to post direct quotes of your previous comments and views about the Blechen story, etc. But let's see if they allow me to comment about you and your BYU neighbors negativity discussions about Tom Holmoe and Bronco Mendenhall.

I don't believe for a minute that 80% of your Y fan neighbors and coworkers are to the point of throwing both of these men under the bus. Please remember that's what Utah does to its basketball coaches.

I could care less what you think about Tom Holmoe. I would say what he has accomplished thus far with independence is visionary. It far surpasses what most other schools could pull off but that's a little unfair comparing BYU to secular schools.

There is no doubt that there are various camps of BYU fans, those that want conference affiliation, those that are satisfied with independence, those that don't care one way or another, those that tolerate Ute fans, etc.

But I do believe you being on this BYU story first and personally taunting Ducky and I is hilarious.

• ConferenceofChampions Herriman, UT
    Aug. 19, 2012 9:55 p.m.

Wow, if I was a byu fan and I read this article I would be seriously depressed about the future of byu athletics.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Aug. 20, 2012 6:54 a.m.

ConferenceofChampions

If I was a U fan, I'd read this article and the new one about big Russ, and I'd still have no clue what BYU athletics should be all about.

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 20, 2012 9:58 a.m.

Great news, Cougar fans!! The University Of Idaho board has approved a plan for Idaho football to go independent. That should set one of your November games for a while. Band together with your new indy rival!

• Snack PAC Olympus Cove, Utah
    Aug. 20, 2012 1:27 p.m.

WACpaddled

"Your inferior coaching can't beat San Jose St. or Colorado."

Talk about grasping at straws.

I'm not sure whether it's ignorance or sheer desperation that compels you to spam BYU's "overall record" against San Jose State and Colorado, but I guess that's not too surprising coming from a fan of a program that thinks Utah's leather helmet era "domination" is meaningful.

Colorado isn't even on BYU's schedule and it could be years before BYU schedules another game against San Jose State.

BYU is 2-0 versus Colorado in the last half century and hasn't lost to the Buffs since the 40's.

BYU is 6-1 versus San Jose State in the last half century and hasn't lost to the Spartans since the 60's.

In a MUCH more relevant comparison:

Utah is 0-7 versus Washington, including Utah's loss in 2011.
    BYU is 4-4 versus Washington, including BYU's win in 2010.

btw, Utah is 1-6 versus SLC YMCA.

*snicker*

Bronco hardly ever loses to bad teams.
    Kyle frequently loses to bad teams.

"Superior coaches" don't lose to teams they're supposed to beat.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 20, 2012 4:41 p.m.

@wallbanger

I love that I am your 1st thought when you log on here.

LOL!

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    Aug. 21, 2012 12:00 p.m.

@Uteology "No. I expect them to quit just like they did last year by middle of the 3rd quarter."

Why? Again, short of giving you the ball 4 times, including 2 that directly led to TD's (Jake Heaps fumble in the 1st half, JD Falslev having the ball bounce off his chest on a kickoff in the second half, put the Utes on the 3 yd line) and putting our D in horrible positions, why would they just give up? Remember, outside of the aforementioned TO's, it's a 16-10 game in the middle of the 3rd quarter.

"I expect Utah defense to destroy BYU's running game like last year (22 carries for 11 yards)."

That could be the case, Utah's D line is fantastic. However, I expect BYU's running game to be much improved, and for Riley to help soften up that line, much like he did against TCU, who also had a great D against the run last year (Riley had 84 yds rushing on 23 carries...almost a 4 yard average).

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    Aug. 21, 2012 12:06 p.m.

@Uteology continued "Thus forcing Riley to throw, I expect Riley to be as good as he has been against good defenses."

Against TCU, Riley accounted for almost 300 yds of offense, more than the entire TCU team combined. That was also arguably the best that a QB from the state of Utah has done against TCU since Max Hall back in 2007 (yes, that includes Brian Johnson in '08). The guy's not Jake Heaps, but he's a much better passer than people give him credit for. Heck, Kyle Whittingham recently said that Jordan Wynn has the 3rd strongest arm on the team, but he's still the starter.

And with our WR's, I actually want Riley to throw the ball, especially against the Utes secondary.

@Juice Box "Your team is IRRELEVANT!"

Irrelevance is having to get a contract with KJZZ because the PAC 12 wouldn't air your games,, and running your football facilities out of a trailer park. As for the 'tantrum', I simply listed some of the facts about last year's game, and why I feel that BYU will crush the Utes this year. Nothing you said has changed my mind about that.

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    Aug. 21, 2012 12:12 p.m.

@Uteology "I just looked at the two scoring drives, there were no such penalties on BYU."

Good catch, I believe the PI call I was referring to came on the Utes FG drive in the 3rd quarter.

"The current talent on BYU's offense has averaged 13 points against Utah's defense, at 21-10 with a 3-2 TO margin the game was over. Which is why BYU quit shortly after."

Not entirely sure what that phrase meant, but the current talent on that BYU roster had average a little more than 10 points a game against defenses that were far worse than Utah's.

The current talent on this year's team put up 20 points on a TCU defense that was comparable to Utah's last season, and that was with two TO's in the blue zone.

The fact that the defense quit in the 3rd quarter is also not a good thing for Utah fans. BYU's season changed when Riley came into the USU game and the team as a whole played better.

So again, unless BYU just gives U the ball 4 times like last year, I expect a big Cougar win.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Aug. 26, 2012 9:33 p.m.

BYU will fill Edwards stadium regardless of how the teams fairs going forward. Going to a BYU football game is a great escape for students and a nice fun - filled autumn afternoon with the family for most other fans. BYU has a unique culture that you would be hard pressed to find just about anywhere and wins and losses are really not the top of the list - not for Bronco not for the administration and not for most fans. There are some hard core football fans who really ache for BYU getting a shot at the BIG 12 and getting Texas and OU every other year in Provo but for the most part BYU fans aren't all that football - literate and just want to come and enjoy the festivities. I think a loyal fan base is a great thing regardless. The Y's glory days are over for good but I still expect to see 60000 every week.