Sports

BYU football: Brandon Doman hoping Riley Nelson's senior-year moment matches that of prior QB senior starters

Comments

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Aug. 18, 2012 11:26 a.m.

Utesies just hope Wynnie makes it to his senior year with two usable arms.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Aug. 16, 2012 5:59 p.m.

Dnquixote

Grow up??? That wasn't very thoughtful or civil. But first, props where props are due.

In my fantasies I visualize a 56 point cougar victory. Publicly I am on record predicting another last-drive, come from behind cougar victory. I appreciate your realistic assessment of the game.

For the record, don't think I've mentioned NC or 1984 in over a year. Colorado? Guilty as charged, but you have to realize that when a Ute fan comes on a BYU article and tries to justify why a top 25 is not legit, as if the poll voters never realized who BYU played, it begs for someone to remind them that 54-10 was by far their best game, Colorado was by far their worst, and on average, Utah was rather average.

Grow up??? Take naval vet, chris b and utah-hawaii and go home. Trolling someone else's page is not indicative of mature behavior.

• morganh Orem, Utah
    Aug. 16, 2012 5:22 p.m.

@UU32

Thank you for rising above the trolls and recognizing that your arch rival B.Y.U. is still a formidable foe for Utah. Your comment almost made me because a Utah fan, however as a loyal B.Y.U. fan people like you who can keep the rivalry fun give me more respect for Utah fans than the crisb's out there who make disparaging comments that are embarrassing to fans on both sides of the rivalry.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Aug. 15, 2012 4:34 p.m.

Two big events coming up:

* BYU-Utah game
    * Presidential election

• kaspercasey gilbert, AZ
    Aug. 15, 2012 12:55 p.m.

I think Riley is going to get to that 65% passing percentage. I think he will also make a few stupid mistakes and toss up a few jump balls that he should have just taken the ten yard loss instead. That being said, I think they have a great chance to end up with ten wins again this year.

• Dnquixote Las Vegas, NV
    Aug. 15, 2012 11:53 a.m.

@Worf - That is the kind of delusional thinking that keeps the most die-hard BYU fans going year in and year out. Preseason Natl. champs every year! Always as good as your best win, while all opponents are only as good as their worst loss. If BYU wins those games, by those scores, I will give you the deed to my car. Hilarious.

@ygrad/dad - Did Utah lose to CO. last year? Did BYU win the national championship in 84? Really, you haven't mentioned either in the last 20 seconds. 28 years from now you will still be siting the loss to CO. the reason nothing else Utah does counts. Grow up.

Finally, as a realistic Utah fan, I don't plan on the rivalry game being a cakewalk for either team. As long as Nelson is on the field, byu is a legit threat to any team they face this year, so in Utah's case, the team and fans should take the game very seriously.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Aug. 15, 2012 11:33 a.m.

So Doman is hoping little Riley will have the same kind of year as Ty Detmer, John Beck, Max Hall etc..??? Serious? This is the same Nelson that looked liked a high school back up QB in last years bowl game? BYU football is about as exciting as week old root-beer with the top left off.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 15, 2012 10:39 a.m.

@hcb63

You sound extremely desperate.

• HCB63 Orem, UT
    Aug. 15, 2012 10:30 a.m.

The BYU "star" QB's greatest senior moment will be when he hears his name announced for the Wazzu game. After that, he'll be whining to the press again about lack of protection by the o-line, receivers who cannot catch, and about how he can run better than any of the RB's. Then there will be the plethora of option plays that will result in the "star" ignoring his teammates in favor of running up the middle on one of about twenty QB sneaks per game. He isn't the least bit interested in the "Team" concept. Every play is all about his personal glory.
    If you diehard Cougar fans haven't figured that out yet, then you just keep living on your cloud of delusion, ever unaware of the reality of of the game that everyone else sees whenever your "star" takes the field. Senior year moment...(HaHaHaHaHa!)that's hilarious.

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 15, 2012 10:11 a.m.

Let's all be serious - the BYU / Utah games this year will be close - it nearly always is (except last year). Any prediction that isn't one team or the other winning by 7 points or less on the final drive of the game is likely wrong. Both teams should be good 7-10 win teams with a few breaks here and there and the health of the team being the difference between 7 wins and 10 wins. We are very fortunate in this state to have good college football.

• yabuts Springville, utah
    Aug. 15, 2012 9:15 a.m.

@ SoCalUtahFan:

Thank you for your hummer, that is the funniest post I have read for a long time. Your post is a true gem of wit.

• Truth Machine Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 15, 2012 8:16 a.m.

Proud Ute

Your backup was only 4-2 against PAC teams with LOSING records, including that humiliating loss to 10-loss Colorado, and Hays barely beat 4-8 WSU in OT. (Actually, it wasn't even Hays, it was Utah's kicker that beat WSU.)

That said, with injury-prone Wynn as Utah's starter, Hays or Wilson is all but guaranteed to be Utah's starter at some point during the season.

Wynn will be lucky to survive a month before being benched for injury or ineffectiveness.

• SoCalUtahFan Irvine, CA
    Aug. 15, 2012 12:03 a.m.

After all the hits he will take from Utah, he will get senior moment alright!

• CBPapa Cedar Hills, UT
    Aug. 14, 2012 9:36 p.m.

To Proud Ute:
    Unless something changed this week, I thought Hays was third string. Which is really interesting IMO because the 2nd string must be a stud.
    If he's not then it could be another weird year for the Utes: squeaking out a few close ones and laying a total egg in others (see Colorado)

• Proud Ute ,
    Aug. 14, 2012 9:20 p.m.

Y Grad,
    "By the way, how seasoned is u'r backup this year?"

Unless I completly misunderstood your question, our "back-up" is 6-3 as a starter for a Pac-12 team. So I'd say he's seasoned.
    Between your two back-ups Lark and Munns, they have 9 pass attempts total in a game situation. I think it's fair to say you might be throwing them to the wolves should, heaven forbid, Riley get hurt.
    Not unlike what happened to Hays last year except he did not have the benefit of being in the program 2-3 years.
    Am I correct?

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Aug. 14, 2012 9:19 p.m.

BYU 42
    Utah 10

No doubt about it.

BYU 27
    Boise State 17

BYU 38
    Utah State 7

It's going to be a great year.

• Cinci Man FT MITCHELL, KY
    Aug. 14, 2012 8:41 p.m.

Let's talk after a few big games before I give them a great season. I wish Riley the best and I hope this is not all talk - a-g-a-i-n. Chris B. I'm sure you will keep posting regardless of the outcome of any game. You would just have a different name and interject your less-than-accurate projections as always. You add so much humor to the discussion with your frequent folly. Thanks for sharing.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    Aug. 14, 2012 8:24 p.m.

Y Grad, the last 3 times BYU has had a senior QB, they've beaten Utah. That trend can very likely continue seeing how this is a senior BYU team and the road team usually wins in this series.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Aug. 14, 2012 7:58 p.m.

Chris, normally you aren't worth a reply, but I have a few minutes before my next meeting, so...

Washington State... BYU wins
    Georgia Tech... BYU wins
    Notre Dame... BYU probably wins
    Utah... BYU probably wins
    Boise... Up for grabs

Just sayin'...

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    Aug. 14, 2012 7:57 p.m.

I think a senior quarterback who cannot throw is not much better than a junior quarterback who cannot throw. We are sunk either way.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Aug. 14, 2012 7:42 p.m.

GoGetter,

Since yours seemed the least obnoxious of the trolls, let's address that.

Season will end... maybe so, maybe not. Unlike Utah last year, we DO have a backup qb. By the way, how seasoned is u'r backup this year?

Crush the dreams... for the record, please note that Riley was injured trying to be a prototypical BYU qb - standing in the pocket. He stood in the pocket too long and got drilled. I personally hope he scrambles and throws on the run more, ala Hawaii.

Nobody else stepped up... oh so wrong, little bro. It took a while but after Riley took over, players started laying out to catch passes. The whole recovery from the Utah debacle was at least as much BYU improving as the competition weakening. Shoot, the way we played u in September, even Colorado could have beaten us. At home.

But by the end of the season, no way BYU would lose to Colorado.

• atlcoug Atlanta, GA
    Aug. 14, 2012 4:03 p.m.

Chris B, thanks for putting yourself out there with that boast. I think the game will be close, and and though I don't guarantee a Cougar win, my advice to you is to find a copy of the Cougar fight song, just in case. I hope you will put it on YouTube for all of us to enjoy. And that will be the last words we hear or read from you in a year!!! Until then, I am sure you will keep entertaining us with your silly comments.

• Proud Ute ,
    Aug. 14, 2012 3:55 p.m.

I'm a Riley fan and certainly don't want to see anybody get injured but what about your highly rated senior back-up Lark?
    Shouldn't be the end of your season with two top 20 back-ups in the cougar clipboard corp just itching to get their first taste of Div I football .....right?

Troll, I'm talking Lark and Munns, not the freshman. Want you to be able to stay with us on this.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 14, 2012 3:38 p.m.

@tuffy:

"If the Y goes 11-2" Um, just one problem. In your 5 relevant games(WSU, utah, boise, notre dame, and georgia tech" there is a 100% chance you lose at least 3, and 4 is likely.

This is 3-5 losses, just with those 5 games. Do you have another miracle in your pocket to beat Utah state and the other WAC teams?

I'll say it again, if byu beats Utah I won't post on a byu article for a year and I"ll sing the byu fight song

utah 32
    byu 10
    riley 4 turnovers

mark it down

• GoGetter Sandy, UT
    Aug. 14, 2012 3:13 p.m.

If Riley gets injured, the season will end for the Cougies. I hope his passion doesn't crush the dreams of his team by him running in no-mans-land every other play. It will be interesting to see if the rest of the team steps up as well. Last season only had Riley step up to make plays.

• tuffgong POCATELLO, ID
    Aug. 14, 2012 3:04 p.m.

IF the Y goes 11-2 this year, including another Bowl win, i'll see this year as a huge success.. If they better that record, that's legendary status., and BCS worthy. Good luck, Riley.. You deserve the good that is coming your way..

• IndeMak South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 14, 2012 2:49 p.m.

"Doman is hoping Riley Nelson's senior-year moment matches that of prior QB senior starters."
    Hope may be all Doman's got. Try coaching so the "hope" turns to reality.