Sports

BYU football: Brandon Doman learned a great deal through adversity

Comments

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    Aug. 2, 2012 3:11 p.m.

@factcheck

You need to check your facts, man. First, against TCU, BYU scored against their 1st string defense, not their 3rd-stringers. Second, I've watched that game a couple of times now, and to say BYU wasn't in the game is ridiculous. That was the first time since '07 that BYU looked like they actually belonged on the same field as TCU.

I would venture to say we pretty well dominated the Horned Frogs, especially in the second half. Without the horrible special teams muffs, we would most likely have won the game. Without Riley's two bad mistakes in the blue zone, we win that game going away.

As for USU, all I know is Jake had 6 possessions and scored on three of them (all in the first half). His two in the second half resulted in two 3 and outs. Nelson drove the Cougars into scoring position in all 4 of his possessions. Nelson also finished with 40 more yards passing than Heaps, and he did it in a quarter and a half.

My dad said it best. Jake's a passer, but Riley's a winner.

Looking forward to this season.

Go Cougars!

• factcheck Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 2, 2012 2:20 p.m.

truecoug1

I agree with you a little on the TCU game, but keep in mind BYU scored the late TD on 3rd stringers to cut the lead to 10. They were never in the game. I also thought Riley was great against Hawaii. Look, I have nothing against him and like I said, I hope he has a great year. I graduated from BYU and I am closer to the sports programs that you may think.

So I am delusional if I think Heaps could have done what 4 guys did that have no where near his ability? 4 hacks including a 3rd string LaTech QB can come from behind and beat USU, but Heaps would not have been able to do it?

Heaps had 6 possessions, Riley 4. Heaps inside the red zone 3 times, Riley 2. Did you see the game? The miracle catch by Jacobson at mid field and the sure INT that was tipped for the TD. Yep, that was all Nelson.

USU blew leads 6 times during the year, that means Nelson did the same thing 6 other QBs did. Trust me, saying Heaps could have done it is NOT delusional.

• factcheck Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 2, 2012 11:10 a.m.

For the record, I really hope Riley does well. I agree with almost everyone, he is a tough kid and plays hard. Frankly, I am a huge Doman fan, but when ESPN was talking during the Tulsa game about how brilliant he was to make the QB switch and how they had gone like 8-1 since he made the switch. I was shocked. I think they would have had the same results with Lark, Munns or any other QB on the roster. How bad was Heaps? I know there were some growing pains against Ole Miss, TX and UCF. Heaps was still 2-2 as a starter. I know he fumbled early in the Ute game and should have dove on the ball. Keep in mind his QB rating was higher than Nelson in the Ute game and Nelson was playing against 3rd and 4th stringers and walk-ons. Whit had emptied the bench. At least Heaps was in against the Ute starters.

I do think Nelson is solid, but BYU goes 8-4 this year with him. I hope I am wrong.

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    Aug. 2, 2012 10:57 a.m.

@factcheck "[Riley] looked terrible vs. TCU."

I completely disagree. Riley had arguably the best game a QB from Utah has had against TCU since Max Hall back in '07 (and yes, that includes Brian Johnson in '08). He accounted for almost 300 yds of offense.

Did Riley make two really poor decisions in the blue zone? Absolutely. However, TCU scored 2 TD's on a total of about 20 yds because of our special teams. BYU outgained the Horned Frogs by nearly 100 yds. And the Cougs only lost by 10.

If our punting doesn't have a complete meltdown, then we most likely win that game. If Riley doesn't make those two mistakes in the blue zone, we most like win by 10-17.

And if you really think Jake Heaps could've led us back against USU, you're delusional. Heaps got into scoring territory 3 times through 3 quarters against the Aggies. Nelson did it 3 times in 12 minutes of the 4th QTR.

There was an obvious change when Riley came into the USU game. It saved the season.

I'm excited to see him prove all you doubters wrong.

Go Cougars!

• factcheck Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 2, 2012 10:22 a.m.

RE: kaspercasey

Sorry, I did not know he broke it against Tulsa. Please tell me it was on the first play, since he had a 42% completion. Of his 17 completions, 3-5 that were only completed because of exceptional plays on the receiving.

Trust me, I am not a Heaps fan, I just think Doman was in over his head and he used Heaps as a scapegoat.

You stated, you know Heaps would not have come back against USU because he ** for three quarters badly. He had not thrown a interception, only down 8 in the 3rd. Yes he was at 44% completion but Riley was at 42% v Tulsa throws a pick in the 3rd and still stayed in the game and brought them back. Lark should have replaced Riley according to your logic.

Pete Thomas, Derek Carr, Tyler Tettleton all played poorly, but were still able to stay in the game and lead their teams to come back victories over USU. How about the third string QB for LaTech who scored 10 in the 4th to beat USU. If these hacks can bring their teams to come from behind victories against USU, but not Heaps? LOL.

• CT98 Saint George, UT
    Aug. 2, 2012 9:40 a.m.

Heaps had his shot and for whatever reason he couldn't perform. I truly wish him luck in Kansas because he's a great young man.
    Riley is a great leader but when he gets injured we are in big trouble. I hope Doman is prepping Lark and Munns hard because they will be playing. Riley has been hurt in two of the last three seasons and with his style of play he gets hit by the linebackers much more than the average QB.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Aug. 2, 2012 12:42 a.m.

Doman was bad for Heaps. Heaps went downhill as Doman was figuring things out. Heaps probably would have been OK under Anae. Riley Nelson is a gamer. Heaps was not. Hopefully, Doman will do a better job this year. BYU had a really great year in Doman's last year, with All America Staley and Croton's crazy offense. And Riley is like Doman.

It will be interesting to watch this year.

• Proud Ute ,
    Aug. 1, 2012 9:57 p.m.

Riley is a gamer and the reason I will cheer for the Cougars when they're not playing the U.
    All I'm hoping for is BJ not have the season long deer in the headlights look that Doman had.

• kaspercasey gilbert, AZ
    Aug. 1, 2012 2:20 p.m.

Re:factcheck
    You need to check your facts because while Riley did break a rib in the Idaho game he also broke a rib during the Tulsa game, which did not come out until weeks later. Also, i know Heaps would not have come back against USU because he sucked for three quarters badly. I don't know why you are such a Heaps lover but whatever. I don't think Riley is the greatest thing ever but he's okay, he's not as bad as you are making him sound. Look, if he comes out and sucks bad against Utah then i will be off the bandwagon but if he wins that game I'll be a big Riley fan. We'll just have to wait for the season to come to see what kind of QB he can be now that he is getting all the 1st team reps.

• Papa Smurf UTE Herriman, UT
    Aug. 1, 2012 2:15 p.m.

Doman didn't learn through adversity, he learned against weak teams with a pathetic ending schedule. The play calling against a good TCU team was terrible, and the offense stunk. Then against Tulsa the play calling was bad again, except this time, Tulsa was a step up above Idaho, so the Y should win that game. It was close, and came down to almost the last play of the whole game, but they won, and what a great bowl win it was. It was almost worth rushing the field like the fans did against Utah St. I think Doman in his 2nd year will be better, but not great. I think that Brian Johnson will have some of the same struggles as Doman did in year 1, but Johnson has a smarter QB in Wynn, and more offensive weapons to go to than Doman did. Except Johnson doesn't have the 10 built in easy wins that Doman did. The Utes schedule is much more difficult. It will be fun to watch this year. Riley, while a gamer, is not a great QB, and Wynn needs to stay healthy.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Aug. 1, 2012 1:39 p.m.

put a good passing QB behind center and suddenly Doman's play calling becomes great. The best coach in the world can't compensate for a lousy QB. Nelson has no business playing for the Y. None. Compared to the rich legacy of great QB talent that has wore the block blue Y on their helmet, Nelson barely makes a a decent scout QB. Honestly, this kid was pathetic in the bowl game and only shined against the cut cakes - Idaho, Idaho st. , etc.... Good teams like Boise and Utah are going to blow the Y away this year ... and it's all due to the QB behind center.

• factcheck Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 1, 2012 1:34 p.m.

RE:kaspercasey
    Riley broke his rib 6 weeks before Tulsa. How do you know Heaps would not have brought them back vs USU? Turbin goes 80 yrd TD to start the game, before Jake took the field. It was 21-13 in the middle of the 3rd when Heaps was yanked. Are you telling me BYU won was because of Riley? On the last drive Jacobson makes an incredible catch and Matthews catches a tipped ball that should have been picked, and it was all Riley? Utah State lead in EVERY game the played, but went 7-6. Auburn: 2 TDs in the final 2 min. They blew a late 4th Q lead to CSU the week before BYU. They blew a 10pt lead to Fresno getting outscored 17-0 in the second half. They were shut out in the 4th v. LaTech blowing yet another lead. They were also shut out in the 4th blowing a lead in their bowl game. They blew a big lead v. Idaho, but pulled it out in OT. They also came from behind in several games. They had a bad half EVERY game. The BYU loss was on USU not Riley.

• AlotRed&aBitBlue Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 1, 2012 1:15 p.m.

Can somebody explain why the backfield is all messed up? Why is Hague a backup on defense? A proven effective running back, he was a hard hitting fast running back, sidelined when Doman took over the offense. Now he's relegated to backup the Corner and Safety spots while the backfield continues to flounder as an offensive strategy afterthought. What's the thinking there?

• kaspercasey gilbert, AZ
    Aug. 1, 2012 12:37 p.m.

Riley was terrible in the TCU game, the punter played just as much a role in the loss though (if not more). He was bad during the tulsa game but he also had a rib broken during the game and played through it, that at least earns him toughness points (Heaps would not have done that). Regardless if you want to hear about the USU game, BYU would have lost it if Heaps was still in. As bad as Riley was at times, Heaps was worse and every time he was hit his game changed completely. Riley is the QB this year so, might as well be positive about it. He is better than Heaps and better than anyone else on the team right now. He just needs to limit the turn overs this year and i think he will be fine.

• factcheck Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 1, 2012 11:41 a.m.

I am a die hard BYU fan, but it looks like Doman used Heaps as a scapegoat. Seriously, Doman is a great coordinator and will get better. Switching QBs was not the key. Seriously, does anyone see the obvious? They went on a roll because of the schedule. Those WAC teams, NMSU, SJSU, Hawaii and Idaho were equal. Heaps QB rating was higher in the 1 1/2 games he played when Riley was out. The exact same thing would have happened if Riley started the season and Heaps came in game 4. I hear Heaps was not a team player and stuff like that. That might be true, but the fact remains that Riley was not that impressive. He looked terrible vs. TCU. A late TD on 4th stringers to cut it to 10. He was 17-40 with 2 INTs (should have been 5 pics) vs. Tulsa. Then a late TD drive and he 'Wins' the game. If he was accurate, BYU wins by 4 TDs. Before someone brings up USU, keep in mind the Aggies were up and down in every game. Several come backs and several blown games. Tipped ball for the winning TD.

• kaspercasey gilbert, AZ
    Aug. 1, 2012 11:31 a.m.

The best unit on the team this year is the defense. The offense just needs to go out there and score in the 20's every game and not turn the ball over and BYU will be pretty good this year.

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 1, 2012 9:57 a.m.

Doman is terrific and will eventually be recognized as the best offensive coordinator in the country.

• morpunkt Glendora, CA
    Aug. 1, 2012 9:54 a.m.

Doman has seen the light. No more predictability on offense. That is what's needed this year and the years to come. The talent can handle the improvisation. I'm looking forward to this year's play calling.

• Chris from Rose Park PROVO, UT
    Aug. 1, 2012 9:53 a.m.

From last year:

Alisa: Att(85) Yds(455) Avg(5.4) Long(42) TD(3)
    Quezada: Att(86) Yds(298) Avg(3.5) Long(15) TD(1)

Quezada's freshman year was better than last year, but it was about equal with Alisa's season. Alisa would have had even more yards but he basically didn't play the first three games. I too would like to have the speed Quezada brings and he definitely would be an asset but best of luck to him. Watching all the games, Alisa was a better RB last year (but I think I heard something about a nagging injury to Quezada). Alisa ran more Unga-esque and I liked that.

I also think Doman will do much better this year. I don't think it'll be perfect and I'm sure there will at least be a couple games where we are frustrated but I think he will be great overall. He can couch talent, let's not forget that he was Heaps' QB coach during his good freshman year. Things just didn't work out last year, it's not a matter of ability in coaching a talented player, IMO.

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    Aug. 1, 2012 8:06 a.m.

After reading this I've got to wonder, what happens with Doman and the offense if Nelson gets injured and beyond this year? Can Doman coach to talent (Heaps) or will he always have to have a Nelson/Doman type quarterback for him to be comfortable as the OC? Riley is a great player and team leader but atypical as a BYU quartback. What's next? I see more growing pains for BYU in the next three years until the offensive coordinator position is as effective as needed.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Aug. 1, 2012 6:22 a.m.

I believe Doman will have a breakout Sophomore season. He will establish himself as a solid offensive signal caller. For the Ute trolls - I'm not predicting a perfect season, but I think the Cougs will have a couple of breakthrough victories in a couple of their key contests. A win against ND would go a long way to creating a new rival and a longer term relationship.

Riley will gain plenty of fame with all the exposure on ESPN. He will keep plays alive for an extra second or two with his ability to scrammble, but I think we'll see less of him running up the middle. He'll never be a down the field, pocket passer. But he can be very effective throwing the ball 10 - 20 yards down the field. Hoffman, Apo, Falslev and Mathews may make Riley look even better than he really is.

On offensive, my only concerns are the O line and RB. O line looks solid, but not great. But this should be less of an issue with Nelson. RB is a bigger concern with Q leaving. There's not much experience behind Alisa.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Aug. 1, 2012 1:20 a.m.

Who'd-a-thunk it....??? After one year the rookie Cougar coordinator saw his team earn a season-ending top 25 national ranking and the vaunted Ute coordinator left town to guide another program after failing to get into the inagural "greased path" PAC 12 championship game because they couldn't handle the worst road team in America the last 4 years on their own home field in SLC. Amazing!

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    July 31, 2012 11:30 p.m.

Wayne - it's the Riley who played in the TCU game.

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    July 31, 2012 10:57 p.m.

Are they talking about the Riley who played in the TCU game, or was that a different guy?