U.S. & World

British brilliance: With royalty and rock, Britain opens its Olympics

Comments

• cris Hamilton, IL
    July 28, 2012 11:01 p.m.

very unimpressive is all I can say. Didn't even bother to watch all of it.

• Ex Pat Salt Lake City, Ut
    July 28, 2012 10:45 p.m.

I must admit I didn't see the whole thing so I hate to criticize. I liked the lighting of the caldron, the fireworks. Didn't see the nurses, but it sounded dreadful. Came in in the middle of the texting(?) or whatever that was and the zombie dance(?). No bagpipes, no Scots, no Irish dancing, not what I expected, I guess.

• Igualmente Mesa, AZ
    July 28, 2012 8:00 p.m.

The opening was pretty much as expected from the Brits, good but not overwhelming, a little too message driven. It lacked the dazzle and precision of Beijing. I liked the Queen's entrance and Mr. Bean's bit on the piano, but even that went too long.

But my biggest complaint was the NBC commentators reading their obligatory explanations of what was going on. Do they think we are idiots, or do they just want to hear themselves yap? They wouldn't shut up. Let the program speak for itself.

• AZRods Maricopa, AZ
    July 28, 2012 5:29 p.m.

Thought it was "ok", but Sir Paul's rendition of HEY JUDE was just sad.
    And not because he doesn't have the voice he once had.
    I still love the guy.
    It was the choice of songs and the lyrics of the song....and when, you get it under your skin, then you can make it better?
    Dang! How about something "good" or upbeat? He had a hundred songs to choose from, but Hey Jude??? Fail!

I also thought it was interesting that local news stations were commenting in England that Mitt Romney's comment was exactly right. That the media and many local groups have been heavily criticizing the committee's poor security preparations. Saying again, Mitt Romney was exactly right.

Amazing what happens when some of the media let's you see an even and balanced news report.

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    July 28, 2012 2:45 p.m.

I was watching from a loud sports restaurant and so didn't hear the NBC commentary explaining everything. So, the bit with the sick kids in hospitals without the explanation looks like these nurses are giving these poor kids awful hallucinogenic drugs which give them horrible nightmares.

I liked the Olympic rings of fire, the James Bond bit and the Chariots of Fire bit.

• UT Brit London, England
    July 28, 2012 11:36 a.m.

@azreader1

Had much dealings with the NHS? Thought not.....

Us Brits are rightly proud of the NHS as it has served us very well since its creation in 1948. What you were seeing is a tribute, as Cameron is trying his very best to make it into a US health care system. Most of us are horrified by that prospect.

• Leopard Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 28, 2012 11:31 a.m.

Gotta go with the reader1234. After the spectacular and culturally appropriate China Olympics opening and closing, this looked shallow and uninspired. Promotion of a bunch of celebrities with embarrassing life stories. Guess this is what you get with the movie industry running the show. I did like the cute bit with the Queen. She is so quaint I get misty eyed. Listening to Sir Paul's sickly warble mimicing the inane music from the Barry Manilow era sent me fleeing to my bed. Sad commentary on a once great empire that this schlock was the best they could do. Truly World War I and World War II sapped their gene pool. Liked the fireworks, they just didn't last long enough.

• There You Go Again Saint George, UT
    July 28, 2012 10:38 a.m.

Mitt, all by himself, coulda, woulda done much better.

If Mitt fails...again...in becoming the POTUS, he should open an Olympics Rescue Corporation.

Maybe, outsource the public relations...

• reader1234 South Jordan, UT
    July 28, 2012 9:56 a.m.

The lamest opening ceremonies ever!!!

• azreader1 tucson, AZ
    July 28, 2012 9:17 a.m.

I thought it only appropriate that the outright promotion of England's national health care system quickly combined with a celebration of fantasy and horror themes.