U.S. & World

Mitt Romney goes to Europe, causes international stir

Comments

• Peanuts LONDON, Essex
    July 27, 2012 4:42 a.m.

As from being in England (yes London is part of it) - What Mr Romney has said may be correct but - for ALL of these carbuncles ie the Olympics - it is tons of money that is needed for so much other things. I don't think any country is totally ready - there are always things that need finishing and doing. As for close ties don't make me laugh it is what one can get out of the other. From what I have seen on the news here though he has retraced his words - hm what does that make me think!!

• dubdub Lindon, UT
    July 26, 2012 7:37 p.m.

What happened? I thought he shared a strong Anglo-Saxon connection with the UK.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    July 26, 2012 4:32 p.m.

Having lived abroad, I've seen my share of "Ugly Americans" who display boorish behavior to their hosts. Its embarrassing. I was hoping for better than this from the man who would be President.

• ouisc Farmington, UT
    July 26, 2012 2:21 p.m.

That would have been a great time for Romney to be more optimistic than honest--even if he is expressing the very same concerns London expressed just a week ago about being unprepared for the Olympics.

At least he didn't apologize to England for the way we've treated them for the past 40 years.

• Mary E Petty Sandy, UT
    July 26, 2012 1:22 p.m.

Romney spoke the truth from experience. Spinners with an agenda will always see otherwise. The ones who keep on putting their foot in their mouth are those that take offense where none was intended. If I could have an hour with Romney who has been a very successful man, husband, parent, grandparent, community leader, businessman, and volunteer, I would try to learn what makes him tick, and then do my best to apply whatever he shared with me. The London Olympics would do well to follow suit, listen and learn and apply.

• no fit in SG St.George, Utah
    July 26, 2012 1:02 p.m.

Appears this is a recurring problem. Open mouth, insert foot behavior continues. Romney is unable to help himself, apparently.
    It has happened way too many times now to be an innocent mistake on his part.
    Even the hierarchy of the Republican party is freaking out.
    Can't wait to see what he says through the remainder of his "diplomatic" (ha, ha) trip.
    Whispers about now concerning the Republican Convention...Anyone else wanna be run on the Republican ticket for President of the United States?

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    July 26, 2012 11:42 a.m.

1st contact with London.

Insult them.

Great leadership. (Sarcasm)

• JSB Sugar City, ID
    July 26, 2012 11:36 a.m.

Romney knows as well as anyone that hosting the Olympics is a large and complex operation. The Salt Lake Olympics were successful but there were hitches and glitches along the way. Unless a miracle happens, London will also have some problems with the Olympics. That's not a criticism of England or London, it's just a statement of the way things are. People who want to turn Romney's words into an "international stir" reveal just how devious some politicians can be. This is why I think that Romney shouldn't release additional tax returns. Unscrupulous politicians (redundant) will take anything they can find in his taxes to create an issue and misinform the public.

• Richard Larson Galt, CA
    July 26, 2012 11:16 a.m.

Wow mom, wow!
    What is next Willard?

• v2010 salt lake city, utah
    July 26, 2012 10:37 a.m.

Pathetic. Can't wait to hear what he has to say to the leaders of Israel.