Sports

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 23, 2012 10:31 p.m.

• Runner Chandler, AZ
    July 23, 2012 10:54 p.m.

• Hatch Sandy, UT
    July 23, 2012 11:21 p.m.

Line backers will be the key to this game. If they are allowed to blitz and blitz often and they get hurries and sacks BYU will dominate WSU. If BYU plays containment percentage football they will be picked apart. It will be Florida State all over again.

Nice to have something to comment on other than Utah/BYU.

• Solomon Levi Alpine, UT
    July 23, 2012 11:36 p.m.

motorbike/Runner

Yes, this is the super-charged version of the 4-8 team that the Utes just barely beat in overtime 30-27 last season - only now, the Cougars are running an offense that traces its roots back to BYU's prolific offenses of the 70's and 80's.

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    July 23, 2012 11:37 p.m.

They will pass that test. Our defense may be the best in the country and our secondary has always been good.

• Solomon Levi Alpine, UT
    July 23, 2012 11:43 p.m.

"Our defense may be the best in the country and our secondary has always been good."

Facetious, but closer to the truth than you realize, as far as BYU having a very good defense in 2012.

• Guam_Bomb BARRIGADA, GU
    July 24, 2012 12:59 a.m.

People keep saying this one's a gimme. Nobody know's how they'll be and whether Leach will be the wizard he was at Texas Tech. But BYU better be prepared, cause if Leach brings his "A" game and has the same kind of success he had his first year at TT, then this could be a trap game for BYU.

• Cinci Man FT MITCHELL, KY
    July 24, 2012 7:03 a.m.

Good luck to the Cougars. I hope they have a good secondary, especially in the linebacking core. And I truly hope they don't get burned long, like they have so many times before. I look forward to the game.

• Still Blue after all these years Kaysville, UT
    July 24, 2012 8:39 a.m.

I know the article was about BYU's secondary, but the real key to beating WSU will be our offense. Score points, run the ball well, keep WSU's offense off the field. That will be the best help our defense can get.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 24, 2012 9:06 a.m.

Solomon Levi ...

"Utah fans would be wise not to belittle a team that could give the Utes some serious problems in early November, sandwiched, as they are, between two teams that dominated the Utes in 2011, California and Washington."
    __________

It's not me (Ute fan) who was belittling WSU, it's cougar fans on these comment threads who like to think teams like WSU aren't any good. From what we all read we'll expect a thorough beat down of the WSU cougars when they play in BYU ... otherwise several faces will be covered with mud.

• HaHaHaHa Othello, WA
    July 24, 2012 9:12 a.m.

One thing for certain, the cougars will win!

• GD Syracuse, UT
    July 24, 2012 9:53 a.m.

I hope the football players aren't as cocky as the fans. This will be a very close game. If we don't score a lot of points we will probably lose. I get really nervous about our defense. Anyway I'm super excited about getting football started.
    Go Cougars!

• 4601 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 24, 2012 9:55 a.m.

People who ride motor bikes had better worry about their own team rather than sniping at BYU.

• NightOwlAmerica SALEM, OR
    July 24, 2012 10:49 a.m.

Some of you know I have WAZZU ties here.

The game:
    Both teams will have first game jitters during the 1st half.
    BYU wil pull away and win 28-21. Home field advantage.

I expect a .500 season from WSU with Leach in his first season as coach.

I welcome the trash talk of my cougars. Because if things turn out differently.....
    It has Holmoe that inked this contract.

• ladiezman2l7 SAN DIEGO, CA
    July 24, 2012 10:51 a.m.

Air raid = more time for our d-line to tally up the sacks and more opportunities for our secondary to make picks! Holla!

• Serenity Now Highland, UT
    July 24, 2012 11:26 a.m.

I think both teams' defenses will be surprisingly good in this game, as it usually takes offenses a few games to figure things out. 24-20 for BYU.

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    July 24, 2012 12:30 p.m.

"Our defense may be the best in the country"

Huh? Sorry, but that's impossible because the best D will be on the Hill. A squad anchored by an All-American and top 5 NFL pick in Lotulelei. No worries there.

It sounds like the byU faithful are already making excuses for the loss to WSU. Amusing.

• teleste Austin, TX
    July 24, 2012 12:53 p.m.

WSU by 30.

Write it down.

The Pirate Ship will sail in Provo and Broadside BYU.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    July 24, 2012 1:00 p.m.

There is no book on WSU with an Air Raid offense. Nobody knows what to expect. This looks like a trap game to me. But I'm expecting BYU to lose 4 games this year. I don't think anybody could play this schedule and not lose a few. These big road games are scary.

BYU, like Utah, has stepped up. Last year's 8-5 record for the Utes is probably a good forecast for this season.

Neither team is ready for these schedules yet, IMO. When you play big boys, you're likely to get beaten. Especially at their houses. If BYU comes out of those road games with 2 wins, I'll be happy.

• CT98 Saint George, UT
    July 24, 2012 1:20 p.m.

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    July 24, 2012 1:37 p.m.

Dear UtaCountyute yes, the best defense is on the Hill, that is Hill Air Force base, not on Ft. Douglas surroundings.

• gonefishn Salt Lake City, UT
    July 24, 2012 1:38 p.m.

Every year around this time articles start coming out about the improved secondary and all the depth at the position. Every year it proves to be illusion. This is not a good match up for the Y.
    @ Still Blue after all these years
    I totally concur, if the Y can sustain drives, eat clock and finish with points they should be alright. If the Y cannot keep WSU's offense off the field it will be a long day for BYU.

• WisCoug MOUNT HOREB, WI
    July 24, 2012 1:59 p.m.

@CT98
    Yes, Chambers rejoined the team and is playing DB. Whether or no he makes the field much is questionable, but his stone hands (a nick-name based on his complete inability to catch a football) may come in handy batting down balls if he does.

From the article: "Jeff Tuel completed 19-of-21 passes for 285 yards and two touchdowns."

Why not more comments about the possibility that Nelson, Hoffman, and Apo will go crazy on what sounds like a VERY weak secondary/pass defense on the side of the WSU Cougars? Tuel's stat line from two years ago (his last full year on the field) is not so different from Nelson's numbers last year (even with an injury and only starting half the season).

I don't think it is wise to look past anybody in college football, but WSU is not good and I will be embarrassed if BYU loses.

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    July 24, 2012 2:05 p.m.

@teleste Austin, TX

You said, and I quote -

"WSU by 30.
    Write it down.
    The Pirate Ship will sail in Provo and Broadside BYU."

Okay, I've got your quote written down. Date, time and article.

So if BYU wins we'll see if you own up to your prediction, OR, just like all the Ute fans before last season, included Chris B who said:

"Utah is going to go undefeated and win the national championship. Write it down, Mark it down."

Only to come back later and say,

"We never said that."

This year I'm going to keep better track of all the Ute fan predictions.

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    July 24, 2012 2:08 p.m.

To my fellow Cougar fans.

This Washington State team is good so don't think for a second this game is going to be a cake walk.

Remember last season when a certain team from Colorado went on the road and played a certain team from Utah and that team from Utah assumed all they had to do was show up and they'd win?

Do we want that to happen to us this year?

I sure don't.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    July 24, 2012 2:45 p.m.

@motorbike
    "This game should be a breeze for BYU ... afterall, this is one of the pathetic weak teams from the bottom half of the Pac 12 right? Nothing to worry about for mighty BYU."

First games are never a breeze, teams tend to be a little hesitant. I think defensively BYU will be up for it, offensively is another question. Under Bronco we have a tendency to start seasons slowly and underperform on offense.

WSU is rolling out a new offensive scheme and hopefully they have some kinks still to work out in that first game. Tuell is a good QB and WSU likely would have beaten the pants off of Utah last year had he been available. Injuries decimated the WSU QB depth chart and they played a 4th string true freshman against Utah. A couple of rookie mistakes in the 4th Q bailed you guys out and allowed you to get to OT.

Defensively they're not very good and we're at home so several factors lean our way in this game. One huge factor that's hard to ignore is Mike Leach being a former BYU coach and mentee of Lavell. Could be big.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    July 24, 2012 2:55 p.m.

@CT98
    "I've heard rumors that Oneil Chambers may rejoin the team and play in the defensive secondary. Any truth to that?"

Yes, OC is in the mix for making the 2 deep in the secondary, possibly playing corner.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    July 24, 2012 4:10 p.m.

This will be a tough test for BYU and I think WSU will put up some numbers through the air. It wouldn't shock me to see WSU pass for 300 yards or so this game, but that is decent defense for BYU considering that WSU will probably throw the ball 60 times, which would mean that would equal a 5 yards per completion average. Besides which, WSU won't really have a running game to speak of. Also WSU isn't exactly a defensive powerhouse. I would hope BYU would put up some points against this team.

With all that said, this will be a tough matchup for BYU, but BYU is perfectly capable of winning this game. I don't think BYU will "dominate" WSU as some of the well-intentioned yet unrealistic fans seem to think. But there is no reason not to favor BYU in this game. I like BYU at home, with a strong defense to counter the air raid, and a solid BYU offense against a less than spectacular WSU defense. BYU has faced passing teams like NMSU, TCU, Tulsa, and Hawaii. I think a likely score could be BYU 28, WSU 21.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    July 24, 2012 4:27 p.m.

From the article: "I like when teams try to attack the secondary and throw the ball 60 times a game,"

Careful what you wish for. Due to lack of speed, BYU secondary has NEVER been a strong point. Confidence is fine but their statements are a little to cocky for me. One thing I know for sure: Leach knows how to score touchdowns through the air. Unless they simply have really bad players, WSU will give BYU everything they can handle.

• kaspercasey gilbert, AZ
    July 24, 2012 6:35 p.m.

I also think BYU wins a close one at home. I hope for a blowout but BYU has been slow to get started on offense the last couple of years. Hope this year is different though with a senior quarterback. We'll see.

• PAC12Fan South Jordan, UT
    July 24, 2012 8:12 p.m.

To Clark Hippo who is writing 2012 predictions:;

1. BYU will go to the Poinsettia Bowl whether they win 6 or 11 games.
    2. BYU will lose big to Utah, Notre Dame, Boise State and Georgia Tech.
    3. BYU fans will be happy to be playing the MWC team in the poinsettia bowl. Nope!
    4. No conference will invite BYU to their conference.
    5. The gap between Utah and BYU football programs will continue to increase.
    6. BYU will transmit games to all the fans in Guatemala.
    7. The sun will still come out.

Mark it down!

• wazzucoug seattle , WA
    July 24, 2012 9:08 p.m.

WSU is going to be way better than your fans think. They had their starting QB for 3 plays in the opener, 1 game against Stanford when he should not have played and for a half against Oregon State when his leg was injured in a freak play(look up compartment syndrome) They were 3 points and an overtime game(didn't Utah win by 50 against Byu?) aware from a bowl with a back up QB's and still finished 9th in the nation in passing yards per game. The defense was 6th in the PAC 12 overall and less two guys kicked off by Leach for being idiots returns the entire 3 deep. The offense lost 1 WR and 1 lineman and returns the entire 3 deep. I hope your DB's are are tall and fast as well cause Leach will play 8 and the are all tall and can fly. We might not win, but this ain't gonna be a cake walk as successful coaches like Leach do not go to jobs where they will lose.

Google Jeff Tuel dominate Crimson and gray game and watch the video, he is good.

• Utah-Hawaii Alum Dallas, TX
    July 24, 2012 9:50 p.m.

Wazzu is a big time sleeper. They have some seriously speedy talent on that team. Tuell with carve up BYu's pathetic secondary like a Xmas goose. Wazzu by 21+ points.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    July 25, 2012 12:09 a.m.

Re: Utah Hawaii Alum

I've actually heard Wazzu is one of the slower teams in the Pac-12 so I don't know where you got that information. I'm not saying they are, that's just what I've heard from other people.

BYU might have a "pathetic" secondary, but BYU was ranked higher in pass and pass efficiency defense last year than the mighty Ute's defense. Make no mistake Wazzu will be good throwing the football, but if I had to choose a pathetic BYU secondary to go up against this team, I'm glad it's a pathetic secondary that has Preston Hadley, Joe Sampson, Jordan Johnson and Daniel Sorensen as the projected starters, all of which average 6'0" tall and average 4.45 40 times collectively. Two have scored touchdowns on turnovers, and three have interceptions. It also doesn't hurt having linebackers Kyle Van Noy and Spencer Hadley that can blitz the quarterback either. BYU faced balanced offenses last year that could run the football well and throw the football in TCU and Tulsa. BYU held a much more athletic TCU team to 272 total yards of offense last year.

• Utah-Hawaii Alum Dallas, TX
    July 25, 2012 7:08 a.m.

@Cougar Claws,

You are dead wrong sir. And, I could really care less about BYu's bogus defensive stats. The Y played a terrible schedule. USU, Utah, TCU, UCF and Tulsa all moved the ball against BYu.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    July 25, 2012 9:51 a.m.

Leach has big motivation to win this game, beacause it's his first game back as a coach and it's against his alma mater.

Playing a team like WSU is a wildcard, with a new coach. Crowton delivered an exceptional year at BYU in year 1 before he crashed and burned. Other head coaches like Neuheisel never got their team to respond. Leach was loved and hated by his players at Tech. Nobody knows how the team will respond to his leadership. I think WSU has the talent to finish in the Top half of the PAC12 this year, if the team embraces the changes of a new coach.

I'm a BYU Coug through and through, but I don't think we have the best D in the country. Although this may be the best defensive unit we've ever had at BYU. Van Noy may be the only superstar, but every player is solid.

I also agree that the offense is the key to this win. If our offense is on the field at least 10 minutes more than WSU's offense, we have a good chance of walking away with a W.

• Papa Smurf UTE Herriman, UT
    July 25, 2012 10:32 a.m.

The Y has never had a good secondary, and if Tuel can come in and runs Leach's offense, the Y will get beat. The Bronc has a great track record of losing games to start out the season. This may be one of them. The Y's defense starts with Van Noy. He is their only real threat on D. If WSU's O line can contain him, and the RB can pick up his possible blitz packages, the Y's defense will be in for a looooong afternoon. I believe that the Y can win this game, with it being at home, but it will be a lot closer than the Y fans expect it to be. Then, if the Y actually loses this game, the spin that will come from Provostan will be epic. They will have lost to a bottom feeding, Pac 10.2 pathetic team. Off to the Poinsettia bowl.

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    July 25, 2012 11:08 a.m.

@PAC12Fan
    South Jordan, UT

Got it! :0)

Thank you my friend.

• Utah-Hawaii Alum Dallas, TX
    July 25, 2012 2:42 p.m.

@ Papa,

BYu doesn't have the athletes or depth to beat Wazzu. Leach will just whoop them, badly!

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    July 25, 2012 5:54 p.m.

Re: Utah Hawaii Alum

"You are dead wrong sir."

Um . . . about what? I checked my facts and . . . nope, all of them are accurate. So perhaps you are "dead wrong" about me being "dead wrong."

BYU didn't play a "terrible" schedule. BYU faced some pretty good offenses: Utah State, UCF, New Mexico State, Hawaii, TCU and Tulsa all had very good offensive teams. Some were run heavy like Utah State and UCF, while others were pass heavy like New Mexico State and Hawaii, while some were very potent and balanced like TCU and Tulsa.

"USU, Utah, TCU, UCF, and Tulsa all moved the ball against BYU."

'Moved the ball?' SO WHAT? Lots of teams 'move the ball' in football. Montana St. 'moved the ball' against Utah's defense so I don't know what your point is.

"Bronco has a horrible track record of losing games to start the season."

Bronco Mendenhall has won every season opener in his coaching tenure since 2007 so I don't know what you're talking about.

"depth and athletes bleah bleah bleah"

That argument has been refuted how many dozens of times at BYU? What else can you be wrong about?

• JJL Eugene, OR
    July 25, 2012 6:22 p.m.

Runner
    Chandler, AZ
    "Motorbike...yes you are correct. BYU should win this game because it is against a bottom tier team of the most overrated conference in the country."

Runner: If you are basing your comments on last year, try looking at the only head to head match-up that counts from last year and tell me with a straight face that "BYU should win this game because it is against a bottom tier team..."

2011 Results:

BYU lost to Utah at home 54-10.

WAZZU lost to Utah at home in overtime 30-27.

BYU will get owned on Aug. 30th.