Sports

Utah football: A quarterback named Manning commits to the Utes

Comments

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    July 23, 2012 10:32 p.m.

"Bad behavior by Y fans = bad pub for the church."

And bad behavior by utah "fans" = bad pub for both the church and the state.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    July 23, 2012 7:41 a.m.

"Bad behavior by Y fans = bad pub for the church."

And the 'non existent' anonymous bad behavior by Ute fans, which we can assume could represent a high percentage of LDS members, does not?

So I exhibit 'bad behavior' now because of an opinion. Really?

So what do we call standing idly by when our 'brothers' rail against BYU, its sponsoring institution, its coaches, etc.

Entertainment?

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    July 21, 2012 10:59 p.m.

"U 90
    Corona, CA

I like you duck, that's why I have never mentioned anything about your mysterious disappearance for 3.5 weeks to a certain city in Oklahoma."

------------

Ha ha ha ha ha! That NEVER gets old.

Tulsa. Ha ha ha ha ha! I love it.

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    July 21, 2012 10:49 p.m.

Clearly the kid is underrated.

He broke every record held by Matt Barkley.

End of story.

• U 90 Corona, CA
    July 21, 2012 11:43 a.m.

duck,

There's nothing about byu fan posts that hurt me as a U fan. Bad behavior by Y fans = bad pub for the church. If you find anything in my posts that are offensive to BYU, by all means call me out bro. Most of the time you will notice that my posts are geared toward keeping some of by blue brethren in check.

I will continue to challenge any Y fan (and sometimes U fans) that post contradiction, hypocricy or hate. I like you duck, that's why I have never mentioned anything about your mysterious disappearance for 3.5 weeks to a certain city in Oklahoma.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    July 21, 2012 10:53 a.m.

I love sammyg! The truth is he is funny, clever and hits the nail on the head as far as utah and its "fans" are concerned. That is what bothers utah "fans" so much.

U 90 sammyg is nothing like your very own christina b, nothing like her. christina b is neither clever nor funny and all she is is a hater. There is a huge difference.

Nothing sammyg has posted here is hateful, all of it is probably painful to utah "fans" because the truth hurts.

I'm a big sammyg fan.

• Proud Ute ,
    July 20, 2012 10:16 p.m.

sammyg

Don't flatter yourself....you're a troll. At least man up and own it.
    At least you did last Septemeber after your troll brother-in-arms threw you under the wheels of the airplane he said he was sitting on.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    July 20, 2012 8:22 p.m.

U 90

Josh Q is transfering from BYU. His brother died in a horrible accident a while back and the classless comments are coming in about him leaving BYU... from Ute "fans".

And people get upset with me for simply yanking a chain or two with some sarcasm and a snarky comment once in a while about some recruiting, trailers, and some facts.

There's your hypocrisy.

• U 90 Corona, CA
    July 19, 2012 8:45 p.m.

sammy,

When you post 100 times and 99 of them are derogatory toward the Utes you have established your track record and "writing style". Are we to believe that you have suddenly turned over a new leaf and are now well wishing Utah and their recruits? When I read your posts all I see is sarcasm and disdain. Case in point, refer to some of your other statements of the day...

"maybe he liked the trailers, a smaller stadium, a commuter college, or the frequent smog reminding him of LA". Like I said sarcasm and disdain.

So which is it sammy, well wishing the Utes or dising them? It's comical to watch you frantically attempt to put down Utah when they absolutely own your Cougars.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    July 19, 2012 4:53 p.m.

Jenny

If USC really wanted him, they would of really tried harder and won this recruiting 'battle' for a #65. They are quite superior to anything at Utah, believe me.

Of course there are always other factor, maybe the locality, maybe he liked the mountains, the trailers, a smaller stadium, a commuter college, or the frequent smog reminding him of LA or something. We just don't know.

Please don't fool yourself in thinking that Utah 'beat out' USC. That's too funny.

I'll give you Montana State, be happy with it.

• Jenny83 OGDEN, UT
    July 19, 2012 4:34 p.m.

Sammy G == How about reading the article first before you comment. USC did want him! Read the article.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    July 19, 2012 4:30 p.m.

U 90

I'm so sorry that most Ute fans have such thin skins and poor reading comprehension. Sorry you don't like my writing style, it's specifically tuned and honed to a certain frequency.

"Might be a good pickup for the Utes, time will tell."
    Overlooked that in my post?

I'm sure Montana State was counting on this kid. Congratulations to the Utes, you beat out Montana State.

USC, Oregon and Stanford passed on him, he's ranked #65. I'm sure they would of picked him up if they really needed him.

If an athlete wants to play in PAC 10.2 and his stats, history, etc. are outstanding it's very reasonable to assume an outstanding program he will go. Utes get him instead, a 4-5 conference program not nearly as outstanding as others it would seem. I believe this is 'supply and demand'.

"... learn football from the best..." This is a hilarious statement.

I understand the excitement of a fan all twitterpated about a recruit and his loyalty to his school but I cannot let this slide.

Just to clarify, my comments are about Ute recruiting, not this individual.

I wish him luck.

• U 90 Corona, CA
    July 19, 2012 11:58 a.m.

sammy,

every time you open your mouth I have to wonder if you forgot 54-10, Jake Heaps, the Quest etc. etc. You have potential, just think through it before you type it.

• Coach Biff Lehi, UT
    July 19, 2012 7:15 a.m.

Wow, Coug fans. Why are we going where the Ute fans go? This looks like a good get for the Utes. Good luck to him and the Utes. The only game I want to see Utah lose is against us. Sheesh.

• TheNun Granstville, UT
    July 19, 2012 6:14 a.m.

It appears the cougars are waiting to see if Manning leaves for a mission before they begin the recruiting process for him.

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    July 18, 2012 10:52 p.m.

ThomasJefferson boasted "Finally, after getting schooled by Bronco, Whitt is learning to "stockpile" QB's. Something Ute fans have repeated criticized the Y for doing. Good job lil bros, your learning!"

Whittingham recruits quarterbacks because they are good athletes. They often switch positions at the U. BYU stockpiles quarterbacks, but can't handle the attitude that comes with their talent. They switch schools.

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    July 18, 2012 10:44 p.m.

What was Riley Nelson rating ? Does anyone know ?

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 18, 2012 10:43 p.m.

@Duckhunter,

Why do you pretend to know what I think and say? Maybe you're just a little overzealous and hypersensitive. I challenge you to find one comment I've ever made about a BYU recruit that would vary from what I just said about this Utah recruit. As I stated in my own comment above, NONE OF US know much of anything about these early commitments anyway! These kids still have a year of HS football to play (Jr college for some) and could have great years or miserable ones - not to mention injuries.
    You should go back and read my comment a little more thoroughly and quit acting like there are that many Ute fans being hypocritical in regard to recruiting conversations. Are there some? Sure. But there are some BYU fans doing the same thing, so be sure to call them out as well if you are truly "the balance."

• Seminolebob JACKSONVILLE, FL
    July 18, 2012 8:51 p.m.

Duckhunter
    Highland, UT
    @motorbike

You only believe that speil you just gave us when it is utah signing a low rated and basicly non recruited kid. When BYU does the same thing you, like all other utah "fans" sing a completely different tune.

Now I know nothing about this kid other than this article. I do know that every single year kids that are low ranked recruits become really good players at schools all over the country and this kid might be one of those, we'll see. But I also know that utah "fans" are absolutely the worst hypocrites on this subject.

>>>>>>>

Jake Heaps worked out well for you didn't he?

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    July 18, 2012 8:33 p.m.

@ Thomas Jefferson

Little Bro's don't pound Big Bro 54-10...just sayin

• Rock Of The Marne Phoenix, AZ
    July 18, 2012 7:59 p.m.

Thomas Jefferson in Wellsville. Utah vs. BYU since 2005 when both coaches took over, Utah four wins, BYU three. Two Utah wins are a thrashing beat down of their overmatched lil bro (AKA BYU) by 24 and 44; BYU's biggest win margin 7 on a last minute "miracle" play. Looks like the mid major in Provo is the one who got "schooled."

• CO Ute PARKER, CO
    July 18, 2012 7:53 p.m.

I believe Alex Smith was also a 3 star QB out of California that came to Utah. That worked out pretty well. On the flip side Utah had a 3 star QB named Tyler Shreve that left the team after one year on didn't play a down. This is a solid looking kid and time will tell how he progresses.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    July 18, 2012 7:45 p.m.

@motorbike

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 18, 2012 5:17 p.m.

@sammyg

"Wonder why Oregon, USC, and Stanford didn't want him?"

First of all, Oregon doesn't run a system that works well with Manning's game so they wouldn't have had interest regardless.

Secondly, Stanford and USC already have QB commitments for this class. Meaning they could really like Manning for all we know but liked at least one guy more.

But tell me, is getting a guy who may not have had the offers but had attention from some of the big boy names a bad thing? I think not. Especially a guy whose TD/INT ratio is over 5 to 1 and broke Matt Barkley's yardage record.

Who's to say that had he not committed early to Utah that 50 more programs wouldn't have offered him during or after another record type season if he has one? In fact they still may!

In other words, recruiting talk by us fans is pretty stupid especially at this time of year. Come February when recruits actually sign offers we'll know more about them and might be able to have more of an informed opinion of what our programs are about to get.

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    July 18, 2012 5:03 p.m.

Sammy

How did that #1 qb prospect pan out for your team? Oh that's right, he's now the back up at Kansas.

I'll take our #65 and moving up to your #1 and hitting bottom any day.

Go Utes!

• hymn to the silent Holladay, UT
    July 18, 2012 4:57 p.m.

I think BJ will have an offense that will be a lot of fun for this kid in the future...

• sammyg Springville, UT
    July 18, 2012 4:40 p.m.

Wonder why Oregon, USC, and Stanford didn't want him?

I guess at #65 they felt they could pass on him and that's how recruiting will be in the mighty PAC 'Conference of Champions'. The big schools get first dibs.

Might be a good pickup for the Utes, time will tell. It was definitely a harsh recruiting blow to Montana State to be beaten by the Utes on this one.

A great day for the UteNation Welcome Wagon.

"... learn football from the best..." LOL

• Proud Ute ,
    July 18, 2012 3:54 p.m.

Welcome to Utah Connor!
    Get a great education and learn football from the best, it don't get much better than that.

• SoCalUtahFan Irvine, CA
    July 18, 2012 3:40 p.m.

Obviously, he is a smart kid to choose Utah.

Welcome!

• AntelopeValleyUte Palmdale, CA
    July 18, 2012 3:32 p.m.

kitsutsuki
    South Jordan, Utah

#65 ranked QB; had an offer from Montana State. And that is the best an upper-eschelon team from one of the top 4 conferences in the whole country can do?

Sorry, I had to play the "Utah fan" card - you know, the posts that are made everytime BYU signs a player.
    -----------------
    Dude, I know it annoys you like it does me when annoying fans from both sides post stupid comments. They have nothing better to do. Don't entertain them! It just upsets you even more and makes them want to be more of a nuisance. I'll apologize for them, sorry.

• WACPaddingOurSchedule pocatello, ID
    July 18, 2012 3:02 p.m.

kitsutsuki
    South Jordan, Utah

Seriously though, good luck to this kid.

________________________

Not all power conference schools have top rated quarterback recruits to begin with.

• kitsutsuki South Jordan, Utah
    July 18, 2012 2:48 p.m.

Seriously though, good luck to this kid.

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    July 18, 2012 2:35 p.m.

@ hedgehog
    Utah IS the diamond in the rough.
    Welcome to the University of Utah Mr. Manning and the PAC 12 !
    It's good to be a Ute !

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    July 18, 2012 2:12 p.m.

Glad to have you as a Ute. You've picked a great school and some great coaches. They do a great job of developing talent and this is a great place to get an education and live. We'll see you next year.

• GoRed WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    July 18, 2012 2:06 p.m.

An outstanding recruit. Welcome to Utah and the PAC 12!

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    July 18, 2012 2:05 p.m.

Any relation to Archie, Peyton or Eli?

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    July 18, 2012 2:03 p.m.

It will be interesting to see if he's rating goes up this season. With big interest from WIS and USC the Utes may have picked up a diamond in the rough just in the knick of time.

• MLH SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    July 18, 2012 12:58 p.m.

Doesn't matter to me what rank or who offered, welcome to the University of Utah, you're a Ute and you are going to love it.

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    July 18, 2012 10:30 a.m.

Welcome to Utah Mr. Manning.

• Magna Ute Fan Magna, UT
    July 18, 2012 9:21 a.m.

Welcome Conner! This is good news. Good luck with your senior season. Can't wait to see you in red.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    July 18, 2012 7:51 a.m.

For my fellow Utes:

Per Rivals, Manning is a 3* QB. He had an offer from Montana State. His college list included: Colorado, Oregon State, Wisconsin, Hawaii and USC

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    July 18, 2012 7:42 a.m.

I wish they would expand a little on this kid. What was he rated? Who else did he have offers from?, etc.

I do like the way Utah is stock pilling QB's. After last season, it's easy to see that you can never have too many. It looks like you pretty much need to have one in each recruiting class.

• dwntwnute Syracuse, Utah
    July 18, 2012 6:58 a.m.

Welcome to the family!

• Qwest Perfected Salt Lake City, UT
    July 17, 2012 11:53 p.m.

It's great to get such an early commit form a quality QB! Welcome to Utah Manning!

• PAC12Fan South Jordan, UT