Sports

Utah Jazz: Enes Kanter eager to take next step in NBA career

Comments

• byronbca Salt Lake City, UT
    July 11, 2012 7:08 p.m.

Because Kanter was ruled ineligible to play NCAA, I don't think anyone in the NBA was hurt more by the lockout than he was. He would have had a better year last year had he been in Summer League and had a full camp

I don't think we'll see huge improvement from Kanter this year,(but we may get that from Burks) but I do think he will steadily get better. Next year he will be a starter and by year 4 he could be a top 10 center.

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    July 11, 2012 2:04 p.m.

I think he's a gem. Anybody watching closely last season could see that he (by the middle of the shortened season) had cut down the bonehead mistakes by about half. In the second part of the season, he was reliable and showed flashes of brilliance. I'm looking for Kanter to become a guy who doesn't make mistakes and uses his teammates better this year. As has been mentioned--he is a beast. More beastliness should be expected this season. He and Favors will become a force to be reckoned with. Book it.

• your_sangoma Reality, UT
    July 11, 2012 7:35 a.m.

I hope that Kanter will turn out to be good, but I have my doubts.

He is 20 and he just barely learned not to bring the ball down when he grabs rebounds?

He is only scoring 10 pts per game at the summer league?

• Jazz Source Alpine, UT
    July 11, 2012 12:08 a.m.

re:Rationale

I only have 200 words here and the list of unmotivated big men is even longer than that in recent years. Of course there are exceptions and there always is but a ton of big men don't put forth the effort to take advantage of their abilities.

If you have physical gifts like Kanter does AND you work hard he should have a nice career.

Self-fulfilling prophecy only goes so far. Conversely there are plenty of guys who work hard and made some progress but ultimately were limited by their talent and ability.

It goes both ways.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    July 10, 2012 11:09 p.m.

"Big guys usually aren't self-starters and he is. That's why he'll have a good career."

Scottie, Scottie, Scottie, Scottie, Scottie.

It's called prejudice, the Pygmalion Effect, a self-fullfilling prophecy. People live up to your expectations, or are limited by them because you limit their opportunities, or don't invest as much in them.

Do the names Malone, Harpring, Bird, McHale, Jabbar, Russell, Hakeem, Barkley, mean anything to you?

• Captain L Provo, UT
    July 10, 2012 10:20 p.m.

I'm a big Kanter fan and think he will eventually be very good but he does have alot of work to do to learn how to use his talents. The good thing about that is like the coach said he is a hard worker. He had a better game today in the summer league and would have probably had better stats if he could touch the ball more often. Burks had 31 points but he doesn't know how to pass, all he knows how to do is drive, and force shots, hoping for a foul. Today he scored well but I wasn't impressed with the rest of his game. All Burks thinks he needs to do is score and that isn't the case he needs to show he can pass and be a team player and make his teamsmates better, I hope he learns that sooner rather than later.

• scalman Temecula, CA
    July 10, 2012 10:15 p.m.

When Kanter was drafted, he told a reporter he thought that his best position might be power forward. I think that he was right, but it's good to know that he is a self-starter. Intrinsically motivated individuals never stop learning, and, unlike many guys his size, he has a soft touch and can make free throws. He is also a beast. Whichever position he ends up playing the most at, I think he and Favors are going to be a dynamic duo. In an interview during halftime of today's game, KOC said that Enes really just has one good move so far in the post. KOC reminded us all that Kanter is working hard, but we have to all be patient.