Utah

Ogden distillery wants 'Five Wives' vodka on Idaho shelves

Comments

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    June 12, 2012 12:34 p.m.

@Mark from Montana
    "they don't want to carry it because it alludes to polygamy, which might offend the many LDS citizens in the state. However, most of those that they say might be offended don't drink in the first place, so why would they be offended?"

Just because LDS members don't drink doesn't mean they can't be offended by the naming conventions used for this vodka since. Same logic that says non-LDS members should be able to be offended by LDS proxy baptisms.

• SLC gal Salt Lake City, UT
    June 12, 2012 8:06 a.m.

My husband and I have been to Lava, and made the mistake of wandering into the local dive. None of those guys, I guarantee, would be offended by a label making fun of polygamy. In fact, I still don't see where the offense is at all, unless you still practice polygamy, which most of the church stopped back in, oh, the early 1900's???

• doingmyway Salem, UT
    June 11, 2012 5:52 p.m.

Today at Cal Ranch they had on display, Chicken Poop lip Balm. Now! this is funny. Perhaps the guy who named the Vodka just has a good sense of humor, or perhaps he has been married 5 times and the thought of it makes him want to drink vodka. It's all fun and games in crazy product names. Just read and enjoy!

• Lowonoil Clearfield, UT
    June 11, 2012 12:43 p.m.

Utah's Own has done a commendable job scoring free marketing for and building a mystique around what is essentialy an industrial chemical. 40% ethanol in water makes a very good cleaning solvent and topical antiseptic. And it also works good for getting you drunk.

• A Scientist Provo, UT
    June 11, 2012 11:03 a.m.

Once this completely unconstitutional restriction on free speech is resolved - and Five Wives Vodka gets a huge boost in sales as a result! - can someone please challenge the completely stupid law in Utah County prohibiting the sale of alcohol on Sundays?!

Please, people! Keep your religious nonsense OUT of the legislatures and courts! Stop trying to moralize those who do not believe as you do!

• Mark from Montana Aurora, CO
    June 8, 2012 3:33 p.m.

OK, so I don't drink and am not going to start.

I do not see the reasons why Idaho made the boneheaded decision in the first place. Lets review....they don't want to carry it because it alludes to polygamy, which might offend the many LDS citizens in the state. However, most of those that they say might be offended don't drink in the first place, so why would they be offended?

Anyone that is going to be offended can likely find 100 other things to take offense about, so what is one more thing?

The whole thing is just silly and Idaho needs to not take life so seriously. Plus, I don't really think many LDS people are going to be offended anyway.

• bobdc6 park city, UT
    June 8, 2012 11:15 a.m.

This isn't about alcohol, but "offensive" speech protected by the Constitution. Idaho knows that they will lose any law suit connected with this ban, so they will fold instead of continuing.

• March Hare Clearfield, UT
    June 8, 2012 10:54 a.m.

Ok I live in Utah...I am a recovering alcoholic. It is a medical condition where the body lacks certain chemicals to properly processes the substance. Hitting yourself with a hammer is a volintary choice...Now that I am in recovery mode so are alcoholic drinks.
    On to 5 WIVES...Who said they were married to the same man...God save me from narrow minds
    I thought that Mormons are to abstain from alcohol... God save me from Hypero-crypts

• non believer PARK CITY, UT
    June 8, 2012 10:46 a.m.

If you are not a drinker at all, then your opinion really does not carry much weight for this article! Alcohol is legal so it should be offered, especially if it is a locally owned and operated facility. As for the name offending anyone, that should be left up to the consumer to decide by purchasing or not purchasing.

• Clark Griswold Cedar City, UT
    June 8, 2012 10:46 a.m.

All my wives are thrilled by this decision, and raise a glass to the success of Utah's Own.

• Bebyebe UUU, UT
    June 8, 2012 10:24 a.m.

I'm not a vodka drinker but might buy just to support a local business.

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    June 8, 2012 9:41 a.m.

I have known far too many people with drinking problems and the very first thing I learned is that 100% of them thought they were drinking responsibly, until it was too late!

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    June 8, 2012 9:19 a.m.

"Why not just hit yourself in the head everyday with a hammer, the effects are about the same"

Is it safe to assume that you have no personal knowledge of the subject.

The majority of drinkers do so responsibly.

That fact is difficult for many in Utah to accept.

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    June 8, 2012 8:34 a.m.

Yep, I would be so proud of producing a product that harms people and destroys lives! Even if I sold it with a lame attempt at humor! Why not just hit yourself in the head everyday with a hammer, the effects are about the same and think of the lives and money you would save!