mormon, abdication, mormon, were, mulekites, benjamin" itemprop="keywords">
Faith

Defending the Faith: We can learn from history and the sins of Nephites

Comments

• Rikitikitavi Cardston, Alberta
    June 7, 2012 6:40 a.m.

All who have taken Moroni 10:3-5 to heart clearly know the power of this witness for Christ. Page after page testify of the Savior and especially in Mosiah teach of the Atonement and in III Neph recount the visit to the American continent of the Lord himself. This volume is indeed written for our day. All the misdeeds of the Nephites are examples for us to learn from and certainly to avoid.

• Thinkman Provo, UT
    June 7, 2012 10:07 a.m.

I took Moroni 10:3-5 to heart each time (12-14 times) I read the Book of Mormon cover to cover. I thought I KNEW it to be a true account of ancient Americans as claimed by the title page and Joseph Smith.

After using logic, reason and doing some research on from LDS church historical sources, I later realized that I KNEW without reservation, that the Book of Mormon was a concoction promoted, if not written by Joseph Smith.

• Twin Lights Louisville, KY
    June 7, 2012 2:43 p.m.

Thinkman,

Obviously either your first conclusion was true or your second was.

Other than the application of logic and reason (which certainly many converts have had to do when entering the church) was there ANY other difference between your first and second conclusion?

I am curious because I know a lot of very well-versed LDS with pretty substantial "logic modules" who still have a testimony of the BOM.

• airnaut Everett, 00
    June 7, 2012 3:11 p.m.

Dr. Peterson left out what the Anti-Christs taught the people with those flattering words…

That they were better [more blessed] by God,
    That they deserved what God blessed them with,
    [That whole PRIDE of materialism]

About the same things I hear on AM talk radio.

BTW – It was not the sexual immorality that caused their ultimate demise,
    But their OFFENSIVE wars and allowing greeding Gadianton’s to direct their Government into War-Profiteering by going into the Lamanites lands, seeking to utterly destroy them, to rob, and plunder once and take all [rather than defensively protecting their lands and families and religion on their own turf] that God withdrew his blessing and allowed the “un-believing” yet less-wicked Lamanites to wipe them out.

Materialism, Greed, and Pride was their down-fall.

And in the end, God saved --
    the long-haired,
    pipe-smoking,
    Commune living,
    1/2 naked,
    unbelieveing Lamanites.
    The Liberals.

• sharrona layton, UT
    June 7, 2012 3:15 p.m.

RE: We can learn from history,and Biblical languages.

All who have taken Moroni 10:3-5 to heart clearly know the power of this witness for Christ?
    OK,read Moroni 10:34. Jehovah( YHWH )The Eternal Judge.

From LDS revelation, we learn that Jehovah is the English form of the actual name by which the Lord Jesus was known ANCIETLY (D&C 110:3 ,Jehovah appears to JS, ‘Abraham 2:8 ‘,My is name is Jehovah) 788 Mormon Doctrine. s/b YHWH, JS was unaware of the poor KJV and didn’t know the Personal name of God(LORD)YHWH.

• Abeille West Haven, Utah
    June 7, 2012 6:06 p.m.

Sharrona,

I've seen you write this stuff several times before, and I don't understand your point. Are you trying to say that Joseph Smith didn't know who YahWeh was (YHWH), and that he confused him with Jehovah? The LDS people believe that Jesus was the God of the Old Testament. He was known as YHWH, or Jehovah. He was the Creator of all things. Even Wikipedia shows that YHWH = YahWeh, and the first line of text even says, "Yahweh, often rendered Jehovah or the LORD (in small capitals), is the god of Israel in the Hebrew Bible." Seems like more than just the LDS understand this. Also, you say 'JS was unaware of the poor KJV and didn't know the Peresonal name of God (LORD) YHWH.' First, by his own history, he quotes James 1:5 verbatim out of the KJV version of the Bible (see JSH:11). Second he, along with other church leaders, studied Hebrew in the School of the Prophets. So, I'm quite certain he knew that YHWH was a name of Jehovah - the Lord, Jesus Christ. But more importantly, he had met him - something neither you nor I can claim.

• filovirus Salem, OR
    June 7, 2012 6:14 p.m.

@ airnaut
    "That they were better [more blessed] by God,
    That they deserved what God blessed them with,
    [That whole PRIDE of materialism]
    And that they should despised the poor and needy, saying they brought it upon themselves as a judgment from God himself and so they should not be inclined to re-distribute the wealth they’d been given so freely."

I think Alma's and Mosiah's sons were more following the Order of Nehor than teaching what the people of land of Antionum believed. The Zoramites were probably more associated with Lamanites than with the Nephites, whereas the Order of Nehor was a competing religion who had a differing view on Christ and the atonement.

Also, the Nephites didn't work in a re-distribution of wealth system, but rather a system where everyone worked for their own needs. Or rather, they didn't believe that the upper class should get rich at the lower class' expense and not actually earn their own keep.

• A Scientist Provo, UT
    June 7, 2012 6:21 p.m.

I have taken Moroni's Challenge too, a number of times, and all I got was a firm conviction that the book is contrived fiction with a lot of King James Bible passages quoted in it.

Of course, you must not dismiss my testimony out of hand. Read my words carefully. Pray about it. Study it out in your hearts and in your minds. Ask the Holy Phantom if it is not true. If you ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith that it is true, the truth of my words will be manifest unto you.

Trust me.

• User41 Provo, UT
    June 7, 2012 9:58 p.m.

From the article: "Do we know, though, how to recognize their modern counterparts?" -- Oh, come now Dr. Peterson... The comment sections of your articles are always rife with these counterparts! How could we miss them?

• ScottH MEDFORD, MA
    June 8, 2012 8:59 a.m.

"Do we know, though, how to recognize their modern counterparts? And, please, don't doubt that they exist." If you know they exist, are you not doing everyone a grave dis-service by calling them out by name, rather than by innuendo? "We know that terrorists exists and are plotting to destroy us... I know who they are, I know them by name". It seems that a threat like you describe, with the information that you have, needs to be shared broadly - for the sake of the souls that you are so desperate to save.

• MarkH England, 00
    June 8, 2012 9:01 a.m.

So professor Peterson calls out the sins of the Nephites and then tosses it over the wall with his question "how to recognize their modern counterparts?" No hints, no analysis or rational indiction? Looks like now anyone who reads this can simply apply it to anyone who doesnt share his or her particular beliefs or view of the world. Political idealogies? Scientific community? social and cultural activists? people who drive jeeps and wear Tommy Bahama shirts? All are fair game. Sorry, professor, your article doesnt go far enough and amounts to a bunch of sunday school class pablum with big words.

• skeptic Phoenix, AZ
    June 8, 2012 9:17 a.m.

How very interesting it would be to know on what planet the Book of Mormon people were inhabitants. There certainly is no evidence of their having lived on planet earth. Anyway, the BOM is only secondary to a believe and acceptance of the LDS faith: Joseph Smith is the key issue: if in deed the greatest unique event in all man's history the Personal appearance of God Himself and Jesus the Christ did congregate and speak with Joseph Smith then that is of such gigantic significance that all other following events are just frosting on the cake. If indeed there is a cake, and that is the question.

• JLFuller Boise, ID
    June 8, 2012 10:15 a.m.

If there was ever a correlation to today's political scene in America, Dr. Peterson hit it on the head. The flattering words of the socialists leading the children away is as obvious as anything ever was.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    June 8, 2012 10:26 a.m.

Wow. An incredible amount of hubris, and I'm not talking about the Nephites.

• Samuel the Liberalite Farmington, UT
    June 8, 2012 10:36 a.m.

filovirus
    Salem, OR

Read the prayer given from the Rameumptom;

“…but we believe that thou hast elected us to be thy holy children;
    “…thou hast elected us that we shall be saved, whilst all around us are elected to be cast by thy wrath down to hell;
    “…O God, we thank thee; and we also thank thee that thou hast elected us,
    “…And again we thank thee, O God, that we are a chosen and a holy people. Amen.”

Now it came to pass that after Alma and his brethren and his sons had heard these prayers, they were astonished beyond ALL measure.

To me, it's like those who listen to Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck and Sean Hannity.

and you said, "Also, the Nephites didn't work in a redistribution of wealth system"

[I disagree - Having ALL things in common IS precisely the definition of re-distribution of wealth. Just as the Family unit, the United Order, Zionism, and the Kingdom of Heaven are all Socialist/Communist organizations – I know Conservatives have a hard time with that, but the facts are the facts.]

• -RJ- South Jordan, UT
    June 8, 2012 10:40 a.m.

An insult to my TBM faithful parents sir.

• Vin Harrisville, UT
    June 8, 2012 10:55 a.m.

The beginning of Mosiah 26 explains clearly some factors that caused this rising generation to fall into unbelief:

5: "because of the dissensions among the [church] brethren they [the unbelievers] became more numerous"
    6: "For it came to pass that they did adeceive many with their flattering words, who were in the church, and did cause them to commit many sins"

I think Dr. Peterson has been involved in this himself, but just like him, I'm going to coyly omit specifics.

• sharrona layton, UT
    June 8, 2012 11:18 a.m.

RE: Abeillehe, JS studied Hebrew in the School of the Prophets.

Joseph Smith said,“Eloheim is from the word Eloi, God is singular number; and by adding the word heim ,it renders it “Gods.” ( H of C, 1844),Wrong.
    In Hebrew the form of the word Elohim, with the ending -im, which normally indicates a masculine plural, however with Elohim the construction is usually grammatically SINGULAR, (i.e. it governs a singular verb or adjective) when referring to the Hebrew God, but grammatically plural (i.e. taking a plural verb or adjective) . See # 430 Strong’s Hebrew concordance translates Elohim to God in the on (KJV),.Not Gods.
    “In the beginning God” (Genesis 1:1 Greek Septuagint) ,not Gods.

Q. What is the Father? A. He is a personage of glory and of power. (5:2.). Lectures on Faith. School of Prophets. JS agrees God is Spirit..…”(John 4:24).

• sharrona layton, UT
    June 8, 2012 11:32 a.m.

@Abeillehe,JS studied Hebrew in the School of the Prophets. Also theology.
    The School of Prophets. Q. What is the Father? A. He is a personage of glory and of power. (5:2.). Lectures on Faith.

J S,“Eloheim is from the word Eloi, God is singular number; and by adding the word heim ,it renders it “Gods.” ( H of C, 1844).
    In Hebrew the form of the word Elohim, with the ending-im, which normally indicates a masculine plural, however with Elohim the construction is usually grammatically SINGULAR, (i.e. it governs a singular verb or adjective) when referring to the Hebrew God, but grammatically plural (i.e. taking a plural verb or adjective) . See # 430 Strong’s Hebrew concordance translates Elohim to God in the on (KJV),.Not Gods.

“In the beginning God” (Genesis 1:1 Greek Septuagint) ,not Gods.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    June 8, 2012 11:48 a.m.

• VocalLocal Salt Lake, UT
    June 8, 2012 12:07 p.m.

Look at the examples Daniel Peterson uses-Alma with sons of Mosiah and Korihor. How were these apostates stopped? Angelic visitations to Alma and Korihor was miraculously struck dumb the moment the prophet said he would. How were other apostates stopped and/or shown their errors in The Book of Mormon? How were Laman and Lemuel dealt with? What happened to Sherem that made him stop his false preaching? If the Book of Mormon is a guidebook for our day shouldn't we be expecting the prophets to take similar actions to deal with apostates?

• LValfre CHICAGO, IL
    June 8, 2012 12:23 p.m.

@A Scientist

"If you ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith that it is true, the truth of my words will be manifest unto you." - Again you have to be asking and wanting it to be true for it to be true. This works for anything, much like the "i think i can, i think i can" little engine that could. Repetitive reinforcement leads to belief.

"If you conclude that my words are false, then you lack sincerity, lack humility, lack faith, or are otherwise unworthy." - Of course ... the good old guilt trip that keeps you fighting for that temple recommend and showing up for those splendid callings.

@Ernest T. Bass,
    "Why doesn't FAIR/FARMS & Mr Peterson just answer the questions? Their spin and convoluted possibilities make Fox New look outright objective by comparison."

You do realize the whole purpose of these groups is to defend the faith. All studies, research, polls, archaeology finds, etc are all hand picked for what fits the faith. Evidence found that is non supportive or worse yet against the faith does not get brought to light by the groups.

• Twin Lights Louisville, KY
    June 8, 2012 1:43 p.m.

LValfe,

That is not how the promise works. Scientist misquoted it. I have found it useful in my life and the lives of those I have taught. Also, for none of us was it repetitive reinforcement. As converts, the reinforcement was in the total opposite direction. Believing it went against all we were taught.

But, if the promise has not worked for you, fine. No problem. Move on. Nothing to see here. Right? Why bother with it or with us? Surely you have better things to do with your time and mess with a bunch of folks who are fooled by their own wishful thinking, true?

I left the church of my youth over 30 years ago. Never have I gone back to its newspaper or magazine sites to make any comments. Despite my disagreements with their beliefs, I respect those who hold still them. Plus, I have other things to do.

• Jeff Temple City, CA
    June 8, 2012 2:02 p.m.

@ "A Scientist": You have claimed previously to have taken Moroni's promise, sincerely attempted to have found an answer, then were disgusted/surprised/disappointed (I'm searching for the right adjective here; you can supply it if I haven't) that the promise was not fulfilled.

At the same time, you have been very clear about your disbelief in God. In your current post, you even lampoon God.

With all due respect, one cannot claim to have attempted Moroni's promise while disbelieving in God. Moroni presupposes a belief in God, and Moroni's promise requires a previously held belief in God to quualify the questioner for the answer. You must first resolve the issue of God's existence (resolve it in the affirmative, I mean); then, you may ask God if the Book of Mormon is true; if you fulfill the conditions, then and only then can the promise be fulfilled.

@ Thinkman: My experience is exactly the opposite of yours. I finally stopped using blind acceptance of academic orthodoxies and began to logic and reason, which led to the Spirit, which taught me that the Book of Mormon is true.

• Jeff Temple City, CA
    June 8, 2012 2:09 p.m.

@ LVAlfre: I am astounded that you took "Scientist's" post seriously. S/he wrote a parody, intended to show mock believers' trust in Moroni's promise.

• Wally West SLC, UT
    June 8, 2012 2:51 p.m.

We can learn from history. But, do we really?

I can't help but thinking the the US is making mistakes similar to Rome (Republic & Empire).

• the truth Holladay, UT
    June 8, 2012 4:45 p.m.

RE: airnaut

God didn't save those "long haired" "liberals",

he allowed them (the lamanites) to destroy the nephites, and eventually the whole country.

The nephites had moved way from God so God was no longer under any obligation to protect them or help them or bless them.

And what I gather from Moroni, the lamanites ultimately destroyed themselves as well (and the country) from their incessant warring.

Yours is an interesting twisting of scripture to justify a political ideology.

I believe you miss the point when do that.

• LValfre CHICAGO, IL
    June 8, 2012 4:51 p.m.

@Jeff,

"I finally stopped using blind acceptance of academic orthodoxies and began to logic and reason, which led to the Spirit, which taught me that the Book of Mormon is true."

Please explain this logic. All my logic on the church led to disbelief.

@Twin Lights,

"But if not, why not? In other words, why are you here? Not meant to be a dig. Just a question."

I'm just a missionary of the truth, sharing my love with all. Hopefully others can embrace it and receive the tremendous benefits that I now have.

No offense taken about the dig, it was an honest question.

• Gildas LOGAN, UT
    June 8, 2012 8:57 p.m.

I think that Daniel Peterson has offered some good insights, especially about the favored, rebellious, arrogant, sinful and sneaky sons of Mosiah and Alma the Younger.

Where I would somewhat differ with the article is the idea, of which I didn't notice any scriptural confirmation, that the Nephites had problems assimilating the Mulekites, the people of Limhi and of Alma the elder. I have always thought that it was the Mulekites who assimilated the remnant of the Nephites rather than the revers. The majority of the Nephites having been abandoned to their unhappy fate by a minority of righteous followers of the prophet Mosiah I. The Mulekites seemed to have been impressed by them and to have gained from them greatly. The peole of Limhi and of Alma had been just people of Zarahemla having returned from an ill-advised trip to the Land of Nephi. Scripture attests that the people of Zarahemla had been deeply touched to hear of their experiences.

The Nephites most usually suffered from Pride which led them into sin and warfare. Flatterers succeeded with them because they loved to be flattered in their waywardness as well as from the superior vocabulary Nehor etc.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    June 8, 2012 11:00 p.m.

What does Mr. Peterson say about the many anachronisms?

• bamball Mesa, AZ
    June 8, 2012 11:09 p.m.

Maybe if we can get Harold Bloom and Daniel Peterson to work together on a single article, WITH a good editor, now, that may something worth reading.

• James Garrett Salt Lake City, UT
    June 9, 2012 2:01 p.m.

I found the tone in this article to be very condescending and like another poster said, "An incredible amount of hubris, and I'm not talking about the Nephites". I have read comments before about FAIR/FARMS being a reason a person would leave the church and this is a prime example of what turns people off from being Mormon. A little understanding and respect goes a long way when dealing with people having a crisis of faith instead of labels and guilt trips that DCP is laying on quite thick here.

I am also reminded of a story I read recently where someone viewed an inappropriate video online and it showed up on their Facebook page as being viewed by them. Rather than owning up to the "mistake", an excuse was made that was a mockery to honesty. I wonder if Nephi would have made such an excuse or would he have been a man and faced up to the mistake.

• Michael_M Scottsbluff, NE
    June 9, 2012 7:54 p.m.

The World Council of Churches "Denounces the Doctrine of Discovery as fundamentally opposed to the gospel of Jesus Christ and as a violation of the inherent human rights that all individuals and peoples have received from God".

The World Council of Churches also "Calls on each WCC member church to reflect upon its own national and church history and to encourage all member parishes and congregations to seek a greater understanding of the issues facing Indigenous Peoples".

We cannot learn from history if we cling to 1 Nephi 13:12-16.

• Jeff Temple City, CA
    June 9, 2012 8:07 p.m.

@ LValfre: Your question requires more than 200 words to answer. As you know, logic can sometimes be sinuous. I'll try.

1. The non-existence of God is illogical. It is a question of faith that there is no God, but the belief that there is no God has no evidence, whereas there is overwhelming evidence that God exists, including eyewitness accounts. The disbeliever must reject the eyewitness accounts, but there is no reason to do that but faith that they are false. There are also accounts of people hearing the voice of God and seeing angels that testified of Him.

2. There is no rational excuse for the existence of life beyond the intervention of a God. Non-believers suggest that a combination of cosmic rays and "primordial soup" caused life to spontaneously begin, then--in defiance of the laws of entropy--progress upward, branching out into complex and intelligent forms. There is absolutely no evidence that life can or has ever spontaneously begun. (This, to me, is the ultimate superstition and magical belief.)

3. The sudden beginning and ending of consciousness is not logical.

4. The complexity of nature logically betokens a governing intelligence.

• sharrona layton, UT
    June 10, 2012 8:11 p.m.

RE:Jeff, The sudden beginning and ending of consciousness is not logical. True,

Christians and Jews believe that God created all that exists ex nihilo (out of nothing).

Mormonism is quite different in its cosmology, claiming that God fashioned the universe out of preexisting material. God is eternal in some forms of LDS theology, but so is preexisting matter, including the material used by God to create human beings.

Mormonism has more in common with ancient Greek philosophy(polytheism) than it does with the Judeo/Christian belief in creation ex nihilo. Plato and Sarte understood the finite makes no sense without the infinite.

Creation relates to other significant world view issues, such as the source of moral values, the problem of evil, and God’s power. It is important that one’s belief in creation has significant consequences and, in the case of Mormonism, the solutions are inadequate. For instance, is the Mormon God too weak to create ex nihilo? If so, then is he less than omnipotent?.

Ecc 12:7)… the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

In (2Tim 1:9 & Titus 1:2)God existed before time, He created time.

• Bill in Nebraska Maryville, MO
    June 10, 2012 9:29 p.m.

Michael M: No it just proves that what was written in the Book of Mormon actually became fulfilled prophesy. Whether you want to believe it or not doesn't matter to me. It does matter to the our Father in Heaven. Again it is fulfilled prophesy. Now the question should be why did they have to be scattered. The latter is that they shall also blossom as a rose. That too is being fulfilled even as we speak.

• Michael_M Scottsbluff, NE
    June 11, 2012 4:32 a.m.

Bill, one could also claim that Rafael Castillo Valdez was just following the BofM to fulfill prophecy when he petitioned the U.S. to resume military aid. But read the Guatemala Memory of Silence report -

"Why did the violence, especially that used by the State, affect civilians and particularly the Mayan people, whose women were considered to be the spoils of war and who bore the full brunt of the institutionalised violence? Why did defenceless children suffer acts of savagery? Why, using the name of God, was there an attempt to erase from the face of the earth the sons and daughters of Xmukane’, the grandmother of life and natural creation? Why did these acts of outrageous brutality, which showed no respect for the most basic rules of humanitarian law, Christian ethics and the values of Mayan spirituality, take place?"

The world is recognizing the errors of the Doctrine of Discovery. In the future, only Mormonism will cling to the belief that God's wrath was on the Indians and his blessing on the Europeans.

We cannot learn from history with the BofM. Read Native America, Discovered and Conquered by Robert J. Miller

• Samuel the Liberalite Farmington, UT
    June 11, 2012 9:33 a.m.

the truth
    Holladay, UT
    •4:45 p.m. June 8, 2012

RE: airnaut

God didn't save those "long haired" "liberals",
    he allowed them (the lamanites) to destroy the nephites,
    [Sure he did]

[Correct – Read their “sins”, sexually immoralality was never mentioned.
    These Good MEMBERS of the Church - instead chose vanity, money, Gold and Silver, shunning the poor and the needy, and allowed the War-profiteering Gadiantons to control their Government.
    But the ultimate sins were when they shifted from Defense to starting OFFESIVE wars into Lamanite lands. At which point, Mormon refused to lead them – He became a War passifist, and Consciencous observer.]

The Lamanites never destroyed themselves, I see them all day everyday.

Yours is the interesting twisting of scripture to justify a political ideology.

I believe you miss the point and are being deceived and lulled into a sense of All is Well In Zion, when in fact – you are following the very same pattern warned about at the end of the Book of Mormon.

• Commonman HENDERSON, NV
    April 29, 2014 6:06 p.m.

One of the most compelling reasons for me to continue at accept the Book of Mormon as of divine origin (aside from the promise in Moroni 10:4-5), involves the deep insights into human nature that came down through its pages. I cannot conceive a young unlettered farm boy from upstate New York being even remotely capable of putting together a record of this length, nature and complexity in a matter of months.

The accounts of "dissenters" in its pages ring absolutely true, and even those commenting on this page seem oblivious to the fact that they mirror the dissenter's tactics and thus fulfill the prophecies about the world's reaction to both the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith.

As a student of history and as a historian, my research into logic, and
    church history have strengthened rather than weakened my convictions of these truths.

• d_rolling_kearney Sacramento, CA
    April 30, 2014 12:03 a.m.

To say that "the United Order, etc., are all Socialist/Communist organizations" is to misunderstand the basic facts. These organizations are what Socialism/Communism CLAIM to be! In reality, all forms of Socialism believe that humans are worthless, and elite groups always end up ruling over them after they inflict all forms of meddling into people's lives at the point of a gun. It is Satan's plan. Under REAL principles of Zion, all contracts are entered into willingly and it is always possible to end those contracts willingly- not just by dying, which is the only way out of most modern Socialist states.

The rest of you: if you truly don't believe, then go get a life and make yourself happy! Stop trolling the comments section of Deseret News.

For what it's worth: the Church IS true, there's a ton of evidence to support the BoM's claims, and definitely to show that JS could never have written it. And sharonna, sweetie, JS was a prophet; the editors of Strong's Hebrew concordance were not. Read the BoM and get a testimony from God of its truthfulness, and you will know who to believe.