Sports

BYU football: Cougars enjoying exposure on ESPN as an independent

Comments

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    June 9, 2012 7:55 a.m.

@uteology

And BYU's OVERALL 10-3 top 25 ranked record eclipses utah's OVERALL 8-5 unranked record. You see according to the pollsters, jusr as in your south carolina example, BYU was superior in every single way to utah. I know you want to have it both ways when you make a tortured attempt at making a point but it just doesn't work that way, especially when there are plenty of people around here to point out the hypocrisy and lack of logic utah "fans" display.

@patriot

Don't you think it is time to quit pretending to be a BYU fan? You are obviously not one and the thing is your posts are not even vaguely smart, clever, or insightful. They are angst ridden and obtuse.

• CordonBleu Park City, UT
    June 9, 2012 12:04 a.m.

"It seems you two don't understand the term "overall"."

NO, it seems that U are having a hard time grasping the fact that OVERALL, BYU had a better season than Utah.

Despite the hyperbole of some of the kids on the hill, finishing #25 Coaches and #26 AP places BYU on a HIGHER footing than a team that didn't get a single vote in either poll.

btw, patriot, BYU SIGNED the MVP of the prestigious ELITE ELEVEN quarterback camp; Utah signed a player who wasn't even good enough to make ELITE ELEVEN.

Utah was BLOWN OUT by California, Washington, and ASU and U didn't even play Stanford. U finished with a LOSING record in the PAC 12 playing FIVE of nine conference games at home and U didn't even play the two best teams in the other division. U didn't beat a single PAC 12 team with a winning record. With a gift-wrapped PAC 12 South there for the taking, you couldn't even beat one of the worst teams in the country, lowly 10-loss Colorado. It doesn't matter who U play, if you're incapable of beating them.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    June 8, 2012 10:17 p.m.

come on people - pretending that the Y and U are still on equal footing is a stretch at best. I like the Y - at least I did for a long time when they had great coaches like Norm Chow and players like Detmer. The Y was just like Boise is today - wide open and dangerous to any team in the nation on a given day. They were fun to watch and there were always big games in Provo to watch like Notre Dame and Penn State. Today BYU recruits little 5'9" QB's and looks more and more like Air Force. Home games against Idaho and Idaho State and this year Weber State. Whose next - Dixie College?? The excitement of BYU is gone. The respect is gone. The lime light is dimmed. Utah on the other hand is on equal footing now with Arizona and Arizona St. They play in the PAC 12 and they compete for a BCS berth every year in football. The U plays CAL and Stanford which not only elevates athletics to national prominence but helps academics. To be in the same conference as CAL, Stanford and UCLA is nice resume material.

• Elmer Fudd Sandy, Utah
    June 8, 2012 8:31 p.m.

@ Cougars - Foolish Little Brothers

"It's laughable that TWO YEARS after our little brothers supposedly left us in the dust, they're still here obsessing about their big brothers.

Utah still OWNS BYU. 54-10 and 55-34-4 shows just that!

"Independent BYU - TOP 25"

Congratulations on beating up on cupcakes and losing to all three good teams on your schedule. You must be proud!

"PAC 12 bottom-feeder - UNRANKED"

Utah was tied for 6th in the Pac-12. That isn't exactly a conference "bottom feeder" as you wish it were.

"one game does not a season make"

Beating the snot out of BYU was fun and entertaining to watch. But, the Sun Bowl victory was by far the best win for Utah last season.

Now go away little brother!

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    June 8, 2012 8:06 p.m.

@Ducky and PAC

Here let me try to explain it one more time with another example:

Georgia 7-1 in the SEC finished 10-4 OVERALL
    South Carolina6-2 in the SEC 11-2 OVERALL

Which team is better OVERALL? According to the polls it's #9/#8 South Carolina.

Just because ASU, UCLA, and CAL had better records in the conference they were not the better teams OVERALL.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    June 8, 2012 7:54 p.m.

@PAC man and Ducky

It seems you two don't understand the term "overall". The 8-5 record puts Utah 4th overall, not just conference play. UCLA finished 5-4 in the PAC-12 and 6-8 overall. Now please share with us your logic on how UCLA is a better team overall than a 8-5 or 7-6 team.

"U didn't even have to play the two best teams in the conference"

And you played only 4 real games and lost three (Texas, Utah, and TCU) yet you are proud of your ranking thanks to USC. Go figure!

Again, thanks for your opinions but I will stick with ESPNs analysis:

"The initial verdict is fairly positive. While the grind of Pac-12 play is far different than the Mountain West Conference, it's clear that Utah can compete in the Pac-12. They figure to be a long-term fixture in the South Division race."

• PAC man Anaheim, CA
    June 8, 2012 5:18 p.m.

up-in-the-night

Hyperbole is claiming that finishing UNRANKED with an 8-5 record is better than finishing in the Top 25 with another 10+ win season.

-------------------------------

Uteology

"With MWC talent, lack of PAC-12 depth yet still finishing 8-5 #4 overall in the PAC-12..."

Nice spin, but the reality is

Only a delusional Utah fan would think that overall record is more important than conference record in determining conference standings.

U finished EIGHTH in the PAC 12 with a LOSING 4-5 conference record.

U didn't even have to play the two best teams in the conference, yet, U still weren't good enough to win a pathetically weak division where the only team besides Utah to finish with a winning record was on probation and ineligible.

You got lucky with a 7-turnover, gift-wrapped win early in the season, then suffered through a very mediocre final two months ending with that embarrassing meltdown against Colorado.

• NightOwlAmerica SALEM, OR
    June 8, 2012 3:11 p.m.

sammyg said:

"The only fans I know that are happy in the lower half of their conference are Ute fans.

Is playing 5 BCS schools, which includes Utah, considered a WAC schedule?

As a BYU fan I will be the first to apologize for such a crummy schedule when you likewise apologize for chest-thumping for 6th or 8th place in your conference.

On the other hand the national stage and those that really judge football success have already weighed in on the matter for the 2011 season.

BYU tipped the scales and once again was voted a Top 25 program. Utes, not so much.

BYU has nothing to apologize for. It's moving on and the schedules will improve."

Another BYU fan trait is hyperbole. You express it very well.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    June 8, 2012 2:49 p.m.

@uteology

Isee you want to continue to propogate the fallacy that utah "finished 4th overall" in the pac12. Of course they did not. They finished tied for 6th but as losers to the two teams they tied with actually fall to 8th. That is where they "finished overall IN the pac12".

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    June 8, 2012 12:07 p.m.

With MWC talent, lack of PAC-12 depth yet still finishing 8-5 #4 overall in the PAC-12 is that success? I guess I will just have to go with ESPN:

BYU was a top 25 program as much as UCLA was the best team representing the PAC-12 South in the championship game. Thanks to USC.

Yes BYU's schedule will improve but judging by the NFL drafts not sure your talent will. With all that exposure in Season I your 2012 class ranking tanked, #60 according to Scout.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    June 8, 2012 9:17 a.m.

Insecurity is running at a fevered pitch to the North. BYU football will always the the fuel for their inferiority.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    June 8, 2012 7:50 a.m.

Night Fouled

Is playing 5 BCS schools, which includes Utah, considered a WAC schedule?

Good luck, maybe the Utes can upgrade their participation trophy to runner-up in South division this year.

• NightOwlAmerica SALEM, OR
    June 7, 2012 10:31 p.m.

Riddles in the Dark said:

"It's sad that Utah fans have lowered their standards so far that finishing 8th in the conference, with a losing record, is now considered a successful season."

Lower standards = jealous BYU fans make negative remarks about the Ute's first season in the Pac 12.

Lower standards = BYU fans that think a WAC schedule will mean that the rest of the football world will pay attention to them. You are going backwards as an Independent.

It's sad that BYU fans don't understand that.

• CO Ute PARKER, CO
    June 7, 2012 7:45 p.m.

I find it very interesting that every article turns into Red vs. Blue in the comments. Wasn't this one about ESPN and independence? BYU made a decision to go their own way and do their own thing. Some fans think it was a good move while others don't but regardless it has nothing to do with my alma mater. Well I made a post of a Y article so a half dozen of you can now claim I'm another obsessed U fan trolling the Y articles.

• Cougars - Wise Older Brothers Anaheim, CA
    June 7, 2012 6:43 p.m.

Independent BYU - TOP 25

PAC 12 bottom-feeder - UNRANKED

one game does not a season make

• Riddles in the Dark Olympus Cove, Utah
    June 7, 2012 5:20 p.m.

patriot

"The U may not be on ESPN much but playing in the Pac12 elevates them far beyond the Y"

2012 Results
    BYU 10-3, #25 Coaches, #26 AP, #34 Sagarin
    Utah 8-5, NO VOTES Coaches/AP, #39 Sagarin

In the delusional world of the crimson-glasses wearing kids on the hill, finishing behind BYU in every major poll, and with a worse record, is considered being "elevated" far beyond BYU.

Did U have a winning conference record in ANY men's sport in 2011-12?

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    June 7, 2012 12:48 p.m.

Duckhunter being reasonable? How could that be?

"I don't think it will ever be a dominating pac12 program, but it should be ok."

Since we're having a lovefest, I agree wholeheartedly with your final point. I think Utah will have a good year every few years (Rose, Alamo, or Holiday bowl appearance) mixed with several 7 and 8 win seasons. Any Utah fan that thinks otherwise is not in tune with reality or is delusional. Perennial powers are in the conference - USC, Oregon, and more recently Stanford. It will be tough to keep up with them consistently.

Where I think we differ, though, Ducky, is that I think the trend of Utah beating up on BYU will continue. 7 of the last 10 and every reason to believe another win is coming.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    June 7, 2012 7:32 a.m.

@gdog

Of course there are concerns with both and from a stability standpoint BYU's are probably greater, from a competitive standpoint utah's are much greater. But I don't worry about either. The reason I don't worry about BYU is because I have faith in its purpose. Not just the athletics but the university itself. I believe it will always be exactly what it should be so I don't worry about it.

The reason I don't worry about utah is because I don't have an emotional bond to it. As the flagship school of the state, and representing the name of our state, I prefer that the programs be quality, representative programs, I generally hope they do well, but if they lose I don't suffer over it and when they win I'm generally glad they did. It's well run, I've told you guys I know many of the leaders there personally and they are not the types to allow it to be an utter failure so I don't worry about it. I don't think it will ever be a dominating pac12 program, but it should be ok.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    June 6, 2012 11:02 p.m.

@Duckhunter

I don't know that I think BYU's independence is mostly positive, but I do think it was a bold, necessary, and smart move on their part. I actually think BYU should of done it before the PAC 12 invited Utah. Maybe BYU was hoping for a MWC with Utah, BYU, TCU, and Boise State in it. That way, the MWC would have had solid football schools with other markets like San Diego State and UNLV that maybe could rise up at some point. Anyway that is not pertinent now.

I also think BYU might have not wanted to upset Utah by bolting the MWC before Utah's departure to the PAC 12. It was a no brainer for Utah to go to the PAC 12. As it is, both the Utes and Cougars are better off now, but there are some unknowns to worry about for both. I would say more so for BYU, but not because I am a Ute fan. The unknowns that I would be concerned about if I were a Cougar fan would be mainly how conference alignment plays out over the next couple of years or so and the November schedule.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    June 6, 2012 8:22 p.m.

@gdog

Why are you upset about this? I'm not trying to anger you. As I said we just don't agree on this. The fact is I do understand how many of these utah "fans" see things, I understand them perfectly. Now I am not saying every single utah fan is the exactly the same and I am not saying you are exactly like every other utah fan. But as a fan of one particular school we all see things through the viewpoint of being a fan of that particular school. For instance I see BYU's football independence as mostly positive, BYU is one of a very few schools capable of pulling it off. As a utah fan you don't see it that way because frankly utah couldn't do it. So to you being in a conference is the best way and nothing I say will change your mind.

All I can say is don't take it so seriously, I certainly don't.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    June 6, 2012 6:15 p.m.

@Duckhunter

I take back my compliment. Part of intelligence is being able to see things from another's perspective. Do you really think I am threatened by opposing views? I am not at all threatened by alternate views about my community, my politics, my sports affiliations, or anything else for that matter. We all put in our flavor right?

I do try and inject opposition to prejudice. I don't really know if you fit that bill. It actually seems to me like you mostly enjoy and share the antics of many you banter back and forth with. If so, it is allowed and carry on I guess. That is not the game I wish to play.

I was enjoying challenging you for some reason, but you have chosen to try and fry too many Utah fish to adequately respond accurately to hardly any of them (Ute posters). If you guys enjoy taking shots at each other, then I don't oppose your free expression.

I will take your shots (literally). You never invited me to play tackle football. So go ahead and bring on your wrecking ball and LOL afterwards if it makes you feel better.

Good day.

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    June 6, 2012 5:51 p.m.

Bloated -

BYU abandoned BYU blue years ago.......

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    June 6, 2012 5:47 p.m.

@ Duckhunter

Your last comment is not true, not fair, and irresponsible even for you.

You said "We aren't going to agree on this. You spend your time trying to get me to see things your way because you are a utah fan and don't like to read disparaging comments about your team/school. I get it. It does not bother you to see utah "fans" post similar things about BYU because you are not a BYU fan. In actuality you see many of the things utah "fans" post about BYU as simply "truth" and "reality" while the exact same thing written by BYU fans about utah are "dogmatic", "hateful", etc. I get it.

What? I have no problem with comments blasting my Utes if they have some sort of premis and conclusion pattern. And I rarely try to get you to see things exclusively my way. I do try pushing you to see things differently (however that may take place from within yourself). Also, I do get bothered by Ute fans ripping BYU just for the sake of ripping them. Disagree with me, but don't represent me, especially when you don't try to understand me.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    June 6, 2012 4:32 p.m.

@Devilish Ute

BYU Blue is a patented pantone color..

It's not Navy (remember, they had it first)/ Aggie blue.

Perhaps Navy has a bone to pick with USU.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    June 6, 2012 4:29 p.m.

Why is Naval Vet now posing as Utah-Hawaii Alum???

He has lived in Utah, Texas, Pennsylvania and now Hawaii?

He has degrees from Utah and Hawaii and an MBA from Penn's Wharton Business School?

That's a whole lot of contortions in order to persueade us, Naval.

Forrest Gump is alive and well.

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    June 6, 2012 11:17 a.m.

Duckhunter,

And you don't think you view the world through the Aggie-blue colored lense of a BYU fan?

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    June 6, 2012 9:55 a.m.

@gdog

Now just because those 1st few comments written by utah "fans" on this article weren't "extreme" it doesn't mean they weren't "dogmatic" and weren't intended to be disparaging because they all undoubtedly were meant to be disparaging. But to you they weren't any big deal because you read them as a utah fan. The truth is I post stuff that to me is just the way it is but utah fans find it "offensive" or "dogmatic" because anything other than praise for their team is perceived as an insult. Just the way it is.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    June 5, 2012 10:22 p.m.

@Duckhunter

I take exception to your comment stating "said through the crimson lense of a utah fan". That is not true. I am a Ute fan but please don't lump my comments into a fan base. My thoughts are independent of group thinking.

I actually don't agree with some thoughts I think you see me as defending. I was saying I didn't think they were extreme. Your response to that I agree with. That response was "whether something is "extreme" or an insult is all in the eyes of the beholder". Right on. I used 'extreme' as a general way of hoping you would look back and see those comments as something you disagreed with but not something without merit.

Things that lack merit are often blanketed labels with prejudice (lacking objectivity). I don't see the comments you lambasted as worth mocking.

Some of my Ute fans make crazy comments. I focus on you though because I think you have intelligent thoughts that lack objectivity. Am I wasting time trying to get you to realize that? You spend your time admittedly trying humiliate Utah fans and then LOL at the end. Is that mature Duck?

• Unca Bon OREM, UT
    June 5, 2012 10:11 p.m.

Also, regarding the Ute blowout victory (well done by the Utes), I really don't think it was indicative of the quality of team BYU had or that the Utes had. Considering both teams made drastic changes to the quarterback spot, who knows what would have happened had that game been played at the end of the year. It may be that BYU has a deeper team, and that the Utes have more high-end talent (that was definitely the case for the quarterback position).
    It's also common that good but not great teams take weeks off. For BYU, Jake Heaps thought he was wearing a red jersey that week. We should actually thank you for showing us Heaps' true value! Utah checked out during the Colorado game. Is Colorado the better team?

I don't want it to sound like I think BYU was the better team, the Utes won fair and square and I respect that. But the Utes definitely weren't 44 points better than BYU, much like Colorado isn't better than the Utes simply because they won 17-14. The better teams doesn't always win, and the score isn't always truthful.

• Unca Bon OREM, UT
    June 5, 2012 10:02 p.m.

I'll be the first to admit that many of the teams BYU plays are cupcakes, but at least they beat those cupcake teams and usually quite handedly. Utah State, even though they aren't a tough team, have definitely not been a cupcake team. They nearly took it to Auburn the first game of the season, @ Auburn. San Jose State played a good game, but it was never really close. The rest of the games were all blowouts. It's nothing to boast about, slamming those teams, but it's not like we're losing any of those games. Beating cupcake teams by blowing them out does not make BYU a bad team, that's just bad logic.
    I am not saying BYU was a great team, in fact, I don't even think they were worthy of that #25 ranking at the end of the year, but it's wrong to say they weren't a good team. Besides the ugly loss to the Utes, a one point loss to Texas @ Texas and a 10 point loss to TCU in Texas is nothing to moan about.

• Utah-Hawaii Alum Dallas, TX
    June 5, 2012 9:51 p.m.

Does anyone think that the Big Sky Conference would invite BYU to join? The MWC would never offer BYU anything again and the WAC is pretty much toast.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    June 5, 2012 9:42 p.m.

@ Canyontreker

Troll alert! troll alert!
    Some of the Ute trolls are so rabidly obsessed they can't even recognize one of their own trying to pose as a BYU fan.
    funny stuff.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    June 5, 2012 9:21 p.m.

@SLC sports fan

Your same old schtick is really quite comical. You are so insecure about your favorite non-BYU teams competing against BYU you beg for the Church to pull the plug on athletics at the Y. It's not going to happen. You can't compete so you just want to lobby to eliminate the competition? really? That is pretty sad.

• Utah-Hawaii Alum Dallas, TX
    June 5, 2012 8:13 p.m.

BYU printed this season's new "glory" t-shirt finally..............."New Mexico Bowl, or Bust!" It seems that they've toned it down a tad compared to past years delusional creations........... thank goodness.

• Razzle2 Bluffdale, UT
    June 5, 2012 6:59 p.m.

@Canyontreker

LOL, the only reason BYU is not in the Super Bowl is because of Church meetings.

• Utah-Hawaii Alum Dallas, TX
    June 5, 2012 6:55 p.m.

@ Canyontreker,

BYU was never considered for the PAC or the Big 12. They NEVER spoke to either conference ONE TIME. Tom Holmoe's frantic calls were never returned. The reasons are because BYU doesn't fit in with either conference and are vehemently disliked for a myriad of reasons. BYU is last century's problem.

• Canyontreker TAYLORSVILLE, UT
    June 5, 2012 5:52 p.m.

The only reason Utah was picked over BYU for the PAC-12 is because BYU doesn't play football on Sundays. And the reason BYU turned down the Big 12 is because we make so much more money on ESPN than if we were in the Big 12 conference. The truth is BYU is bigger than any conference; and the Independent champions of the world.

• Razzle2 Bluffdale, UT
    June 5, 2012 5:40 p.m.

"Especially on Friday night, because every team in America is in a hotel somewhere, laying there in their hotel bed, watching college football."

But they will be asleep by the end of the game.

• Wildcat O-town, UT
    June 5, 2012 4:59 p.m.

Good for you! If it makes you happy, it can't be that bad. The East Coasters are asleep, but I admit I surf over and check the scores and watch about 30 seconds of the game combined while I watch meaningful conference games. I know BYU really, really, really likes money...I mean they really, really, really do because they gladly accept minimal peak viewing hour slots and non-Saturday games. I still think if BYU gets an offer from the Big 12 or Big East, they ought to fall over themselves to accept it, but that might mean tougher competition...so a date at Las Cruces doesn't seem so bad.

Get ready Cougars for Weber State to bring the smack down on you and get a pay day in the process! GO WILDCATS!

• Utah-Hawaii Alum Dallas, TX
    June 5, 2012 4:49 p.m.

@ BlueHusky,

Please enjoy BYU's 2012 "November" schedule..........the worst schedule in college football history EVER!!!......a bye, Idaho at home, then SJSU and NMSU on the road.............nice!?

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    June 5, 2012 4:24 p.m.

Again with the Utah-troll defamers. You can only hope BYU doesn't succeed as an Indy. As for U, you can only hope U break .500 in the PAC12. Enjoy your experience in Seattle. The Dawgs certainly will.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    June 5, 2012 3:57 p.m.

Poor Tommiehawked

Just can't stand the thought that a WAC team beat the snot out of your precious Utes, huh?

Of course I heard the controversy. As predicted here you are protesting so much.

I was rooting for them. Nothing like seeing a proud and haughty fanbase go into a fetal position. Just like that Colorado game too.

As Hedgehog says... "It's delicious"

• esodije ALBUQUERQUE, NM
    June 5, 2012 3:47 p.m.

Someone at the DN must get a kick out of publishing troll-bait like this article. I'm not saying anything new, but at least BYU's independence in football got them off "The mtn." and put all their games on national TV; that in itself turned me into more of a Cougar fan last year than at any time since I was a student at BYU thirty years ago. There must be tens of thousands of similarly situated former BYU students and/or LDS church members; thus, from a fan-base perspective, football independence (and joining the WCC otherwise) was a stroke of genius. Does BYU, never mind the church, really want to screw that up just to chase after the fool's gold of membership in a power conference? Character and athletic ability aren't mutually exclusive commodities, but BYU can't give itself the luxury of recruiting the same sorts of "bohemian" athletes that Utah can go after. On the other hand, it's moronic to assume that membership in the Pac-12 will always translate into Utah's having a better football team--what goes around comes around.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    June 5, 2012 2:37 p.m.

CougFaninTX:

"...is playing New Mexico State and Idaho in November really that much different than playing Wyoming and UNLV?"

Well, it IS from a SOS perspective...which your guys are really hurting from. In the past 5 seasons, NMSU and Idaho have gone a collective 35-90 [0.280], and had only ONE winning season, and ONE bowl game between them. UNLV and Wyoming have gone 46-80 [0.365], and had TWO winning seasons and 2 bowl games. UNLV and Wyoming have also played the cougars close in some of their games. Scores like 24-14, 42-35, and 25-20 are more watchable -- especially from within the context of meaningful conference games -- than blow outs like 42-7 in meaningLESS matchups amid rivalry week.

• couglifer South Jordan, UT
    June 5, 2012 2:10 p.m.

@Utah-Hawaii Alum
    The one thing I have learned from reading your comments is that you are well educated and have connections all the way up the ladder of the church.
    I have also said it before I do not buy that the church will shut down the sports program and if BYU is so old news why oh why are you here on every BYU article other than to just talk trash. I for one agree with what Jake2010 had to say.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    June 5, 2012 2:09 p.m.

CougFaninTX:

"How can any of U take shots at BYU's schedule this year. This is the toughest schedule the Cougs have ever played."

Easy. The toughest schedule you ever played...is STILL WAC-ish and MID-MAJORey. And it ISN'T the toughest you've ever "played" because you haven't played it yet. The toughest schedule UTAH ever played was last season. THIS season's schedule will eventually play out to be either our 1st or 2nd toughest season in Utah Football history. YOUR 2012 schedule comes NOWHERE NEAR our last 2. You've been playing weak SOS [i.e. FCS, WAC, C-USA opponents], BARELY squeaking by 1/2 those weak teams, and then bragging about your inflated W/L record as though you were proud of it.

In light of all that, how can we NOT take shots?

• SCCougar LEXINGTON, SC
    June 5, 2012 2:08 p.m.

Utah-Hawaii: You must've attended a few of the meetings to be so sure. What else did they say or not say?

• SCCougar LEXINGTON, SC
    June 5, 2012 2:04 p.m.

#1 Fan: What???

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    June 5, 2012 1:58 p.m.

54-10 WHOOPTY DOO! [aka Jake2010]

"Someone really needs to find a cure to the rosy red colored glasses so that people don't keep opening fingers and inserting foot."

That's TWICE you said that...albeit the other time you used your "Jake2010" handle at 12:43 over on the 2nd comment page of the "BYU sports: Two years later, WCC happy with partnership with Cougars'" article. Why so many login names? Trying to create an illusion that there are more Indy-WACey fans that think they're relevant?

And again...what does that even MEAN? Inserting feet into open fingers? Huh? It doesn't seem to me that you [54-10 WHOOPTY DOO!, OR Jake2010] should be impugning the intelligence of Ute fans when THAT is what you think passes for it down there in "WAC"istan.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    June 5, 2012 1:58 p.m.

@gdog

Said through the crimson lense of a utah fan. Whether something is "extreme" or an insult is all in the eyes of the beholder. Like all utah "fans" you see the comments utah "fans" make about BYU as simply 'real' or 'insightful'. You know just utah "classfully" helping their BYU brothers to see how things really are. You see the same or similar comments made by BYU fans about utah as 'denigrating', 'dogmatic', 'extreme', 'hateful', 'jealous', etc. It might interest you to know that many of my posts are just cut and copied posts from utah "fans", like those I mentioned, where all I do is change the "BYU" to "utah" or else something similar.

Thanks for exposing the utah "fan" hypocrisy once again.

LOL!

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    June 5, 2012 1:54 p.m.

re:sammyg

Arizona and Arizona St usually finish about where Utah ended up last year in the PAC12 and BYU is always more than HAPPY to be playing the Arizona Schools anytime. They are both BIG time programs in a BIG time conference and Utah has moved into that realm now. Recall last year that Mississippi St. finished dead LAST in the SWC but again BYU was more than happy to be able to play them - SWC is a the TOP conference in college football.

BYU fans (which I am one) have to face reality and realize that the conference you play in means everything - college football is all about the BCS and Utah is in and BYU is out. I suspect Bronco will be coaching in a BCS conference after next year one way or the other.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    June 5, 2012 1:19 p.m.

"There is NO Big 12 for BYU, PERIOD! I wish people would quit talking about it. BYU was never considered for joining the Big 12 at any point."

If you wish people to stop talking about it, start with yourself.

Oh, and don't talk about things you know NOTHING about.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    June 5, 2012 1:11 p.m.

How can any of U take shots at BYU's schedule this year. This is the toughest schedule the Cougs have ever played. Sept and Oct are fantastic, with games against Washington St, Georgia Tech, Notre Dame and Boise State. Next year the partnership will end with the WAC and U will see teams like Notre Dame, Houston, Southern Miss, Hawaii and Boise State fill the November slots.

Would I rather be in the Big 12? Sure. But independence is a whole lot better than the MWC even in it's best years. And really - is playing New Mexico State and Idaho in November really that much different than playing Wyoming and UNLV?

The trolls who promote that BYU's athletic programs are dying and will end soon have lost touch with reality. BYU football is not likely to challenge Michigan, Notre Dame or Alabama for most National Champions, but it's realistic to believe that BYU is a Top 25 performer most years.

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    June 5, 2012 12:43 p.m.

"I LOVE the exposure and being able to watch my Cougs on a real sports channel with real announcers."

The real sports channel that displayed a graphic with your coach as "Roscoe Mendenhall?"

• MLH SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    June 5, 2012 12:31 p.m.

Toosmart4u

Really....Go look at the last Utah article. And keep the smack going as far as that Utah vs Colorado game they did beat us unlike some other team we both know.

Tomahawk Red

Couldn't agree with you more about this sammyg,some of the other cougs have good comments and add to the rivalry but this guy comes up with stuff that makes you wonder if he has ever watched anything other than BYU and BYUtv.

and sammy "jealous and bitter" everytime you are on this that is comes out of you. There is nobody on these threads that is more jealous and bitter than you. Love your team, the U has passed you buy and you should be jealous because we are having so much fun. Just think we are going to be playing USC in RES with both teams undefeated, wow talk about exposure. If it wasn't a Thursday game the boys from Game Day would be there (again). BYU fans talking about exposure-"jealous and bitter".

• Utah-Hawaii Alum Dallas, TX
    June 5, 2012 12:21 p.m.

@ Jake2010,

Regardless, BYU will never be good again, EVER.......so your opinion is mute dear sir. I look forward to all PAC games and hopefully never to see BYU EVER again. BYU is last century's aberration is all. Gooooooo Utes!

• 54-10 WHOOPTY DOO! bountiful, ut
    June 5, 2012 12:08 p.m.

Yes, indeed tomahawk red.... Have you also remembered how they didn't lose even once to the cellar dwellers of their conference? Let alone to those said dwellers on their home turf! Of also how they rose up to the occasion and beat teams from the more 'stellar' conferences? Someone really needs to find a cure to the rosy red colored glasses so that people don't keep opening fingers and inserting foot.

• Jake2010 bountiful, ut
    June 5, 2012 12:00 p.m.

The talk of senior church leadership dropping the byu football program has got to stop. That is what will NEVER happen. It isn't broken there is no reason to fix or eliminate it. Besides oh ye of narrow minds, the college football landscape of the future is still unfolding and won't be done for decades. It will be the millenium and the end of life as we have known it for more than 4000 years before BYU EVER drops its football program. So, Ute fans... Wake up and grasp tight hold on this reality and quit clogging up our comment boards with your pure nonsense! As for the Utes...... a prior post is probably right that it will be rare happening if the Utes and Buffaloes play at the end of the season for the birth in the Whacky 12 championship game.... What is real news in sports right now is that the Pac-12 who broke away from 10 teams after how many years is now all about tradition... Said they, "we will not reduce the meaning of the already submeaningless Rose Bowl." AKA we wanna keep it as meaningless as it now is.

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    June 5, 2012 9:14 a.m.

It does not matter when we play. It does not matter if we win. The only thing that matters is that Riley gets to play. (He field punts in practice and he likes Bronco.) We can play with a quarterback who can't pass and who panics in the pocket. It does not matter how many times he fumbles or how many interceptions he throws. The important thing is that he knows how to stroke Bronco's ego and of course, he fields punts.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    June 5, 2012 8:15 a.m.

All I no is the exposure we get is 100% better than anyone in the PAC gets. The PAC used are ESPN contract as a bargining chip when they work working there TV deal.
    When you get $3M to $5M per game from ESPN then your richer than PAC teams.

• So. Cal Reader San Diego, CA
    June 5, 2012 7:21 a.m.

Bingo! Exposure is simply all that BYU admin, Bronco and the coaches care about. It's as obvious as the nose on their faces, and this article points it out. There's no way BYU joins any other conference so long as their linked to this ESPN football contract. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE the exposure and being able to watch my Cougs on a real sports channel with real announcers. I just wish all Cougs football officials would admit just that. Exposure is numbero uno; not trying to get into a BCS conference. They can't have both. No way would a BCS Conference afford them the same sweet football contract they currently have with ESPN.

• Silent Lurker Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 5, 2012 6:51 a.m.

The cougar haters are out in full force this morning. The truth is you kinda asked for it with this re-hash of old news and hype. Does the D News have a quota on how often it runs BYU hype article?

• Max Charlotte, NC
    June 5, 2012 6:44 a.m.

It is encouraging that BYU is able to hold down the fort -- but for how long? This ESPN thing seems like a band aid that is going to have to be replaced at some point. Hopefully they will have a good season and be invited to join a good conference soon.

• couglifer South Jordan, UT
    June 5, 2012 6:21 a.m.

Life is good and BYU is still relevant as Utah-Hawaii Alum is here again and again and again. I for one will know when BYU does become irrelevant and that day is when no Ute fan will show up on here to comment and before you go and start bashing me yes I am a Cougar fan but I also do cheer for and follow the Utes and Aggies.

• junkgeek Agua Dulce, TX
    June 5, 2012 5:10 a.m.

I'd rather have my team compete for something. Competition brings exposure, not playing on your own little TV station (with some of the worst broadcasters in the business).

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    June 5, 2012 4:48 a.m.

"sammyg
    Springville, UT

I never hear anyone disparage and nag Boise St. for waltzing through their WAC cupcake schedule."

------------

I simply cannot believe this guy. Has he ever even paid attention to college football?

Constantly, for the past several years, the national media has questioned Boise State over and over and over again because they play a lesser schedule in a lesser league.

Seriously, I think you would actually have to make an EFFORT to have missed hearing that with such frequency.

Unbelievable.

• Ricardo Carvalho Provo, UT
    June 5, 2012 12:51 a.m.

I am glad that ESPN is working out for the program. It is not working out of this long-time fan. I guess it is time to leave BYU sports behind. If the powers that be choose to cater to fans other than me with their scheduling, I suppose it is only right that I choose to follow them no longer.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    June 4, 2012 11:31 p.m.

@ sammyg

Well, the Utes fortunes will rise as they become rivals with and consistently beat Colorado----as soon as Colorado has a team, that is. (Insert laughter here.) That Colorado/Utah game last year was a true measure of the Utes and their tremendous PAC 10.2 potential. If WSU had any kind of team Utah would have lost that game, too. Above a Ute poster brags that the Utes will consistently go 7 - 8 wins in the PAC. Seems a lot like what Arizona said when they persuaded Arizona State to join along with them. Somehow Frank Kush never won a national championship when his Sun Devils were undefeated but we all know who did, as well as having a Heisman Trophy winner and the stadium named after him, which incidentally seats thousands more on a regular basis than the Utes. But then we always have the Ute partisans to remind us how they have SUCH a program on the hill and we don't---TV ratings and season ticker holders to the contrary.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    June 4, 2012 10:46 p.m.

Boy o boy, one little article about BYU and ESPN and the 'frantic and emotional', 'bitter and jealous' whiners swarm to their keyboards!

It's got to be tough being second fiddle in the media category. And this is how it's been for ages. It still happens even when the Utes beat the Cougars 54-10.

It's like the score and game were just summarily dismissed by the nation when the Coach's Poll awarded BYU that coveted #25 and the Utes got nothing for beating BYU, just bragging rights.

Get used to it Utesies, ESPN loves BYU, always has and after the PAC 'draft' for tv game slots I think we will see where the Utes are truly looked upon by the media partners and conference fathers.

No worries though, KJZZ, that local media leader, is there to catch you!

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    June 4, 2012 10:09 p.m.

Oh yippee. More comments on how the BYU football program is doomed. At death's doorstep. No hope whatsoever. The end of the world. Except that it's not. Everybody knew there would be two or three years of crap schedules. Things will get better. They always do.

• No Conference Will Take Us SEATTLE, WA
    June 4, 2012 8:46 p.m.

A world wide fan base BYUfaninWashSt?
    More follies from fellow BYU fans. I doubt alleged BYU fans in S. America care about american style football. What we call soccer is their game.

• WACPaddingOurSchedule pocatello, ID
    June 4, 2012 8:42 p.m.

toosmartforyou
    Farmington, UT

________

Uh huh, well your avatar says it all about your comment.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    June 4, 2012 8:34 p.m.

Once again an article that talks about ESPN and BYU and has nothing to do with Utah brings out the best of the U fans-----all filled with poison. My, what a piece of work it must be to be a Ute fan and be so obsessed with anything that BYU is doing that you just can't help yourself from going into a trance about it. I think that borders on addictive behavior that is manic/depressive. In fact, I'm sure of it.

• BYUfaninWashSt Everett, WA
    June 4, 2012 8:33 p.m.

I visited my daughter in Pullman last week (Wash St) where she's going to school. If that little podunk town can have a school in Big 12, BYU is completely overqualified. With BYU worldwide fan base, stature of overall sports programs, etc, they should be easily included in a major conference. That said, I agree with "Patriot" that BYU football will never go anywhere with their current cheer leaders and poor schedule. No vision.

• Utah-Hawaii Alum Dallas, TX
    June 4, 2012 8:26 p.m.

@ Uncle Rico,

BYU already blew it with the Big East........"The BYU representatives are a piece of work," Big East. BYU needs to give up athletics. They soon won't have a choice if/when ESPN dumps them.

• RedBlood Happy Valley, UT
    June 4, 2012 8:20 p.m.

Always fun to read these comment boards after an article like this. Fans on both sides thinking they're both right. It all comes down to preference. If consistently winning 9 or 10 games against soft schedules does it for you, seriously, good for you. I can't figure out why anyone would have a difficult time understanding why as Utah fans we would prefer consistent 7-8 win seasons with an occasional trip to the big show interspersed every few years. We have already shown we are not bottom feeders in the south. Mark my word - this season will prove that point. I for one find more satisfaction in a close loss on the road at USC than a home win versus a cupcake opponent. Utah's program will get better and stronger as we consistently play top notch opponents. Seriously, USC is coming to town this year! Life in the PAC-12 is a dream come true. Last year was simply fantastic. Week in, week out, games to look forward to. Good luck to the Cougs this year. They have a much better schedule. Good luck to the Utes! Cannot Wait!

• International Cougar Fan Tacoma, WA
    June 4, 2012 8:16 p.m.

Eddie from Syracuse got it right.

BYU will continue to get exposure as the Utes become more and more irrelevant just like Arizona and Arizona State. Love it!!

• Utah-Hawaii Alum Dallas, TX
    June 4, 2012 7:55 p.m.

BYU will most likely be 1-3 after week #4. I'm sure ESPN the ocho will be chomp'n at the bit to broadcast BYU's "awesome" November schedule.

• Uncle Rico Provo, UT
    June 4, 2012 7:42 p.m.

Who care how many times BYU is on ESPN, if they have no shot at the new playoff system? 2011 and 2012 home schedule, with horrible bowl tie ins. Time to move on to a conference. Big East would be a step up from independence. Start some new rivalries, be in a conference and have something to play for.

• Cougarista Salt Lake City, UT
    June 4, 2012 7:36 p.m.

Bronco, thanks for making the best of this situation. You're a gem and from the tone of the trolls, you've definite;y made them nervous.

• Utah-Hawaii Alum Dallas, TX
    June 4, 2012 6:48 p.m.

Thanks for the great laugh DNews!

• BigCougFan Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 4, 2012 6:32 p.m.

I find it funny that Utah fans still fantasize about beating the Y and can't stop themselves from commenting on these stories. Silly utes.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    June 4, 2012 6:24 p.m.

Yes Duckhunter I saw the the comments (4 of the first 5). They were from Ute fans. And maybe they should have spared us with ribbing on a BYU article. But the comments weren't really that extreme, and there is nothing to expose or humiliate there. The comments are legit. They just aren't pro BYU (that's all).

• Utah-Hawaii Alum Dallas, TX
    June 4, 2012 6:08 p.m.

• Utah-Hawaii Alum Dallas, TX
    June 4, 2012 5:59 p.m.

This is the funniest article I've ever read. BYU, their coaches, players, fans and biased reporters are a "gift" that keeps on giving 24/7. There is nothing like it on the face of the earth. Thanks DNews! Bwahahahahahahahaha!

• #1 SLC Sports Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    June 4, 2012 5:37 p.m.

Patriot is VERY correct when he talks about a very slow death, but senior LDS leaders can alleviate the pain and just do the right thing and drop the program since LDS Church operated universities shouldn't be in the business of competing with the missions of state schools. More than likely BYU won't be able to schedule anyone except foes from the MWC, C-USA, MAC (I even saw a proposal today on a SB Nation MAC Board) & Sun-Belt in the years ahead and increasingly drawn out over the season as the years pass. The Cougars might win, but attendancece will dwindle and eventually the program will start to lose money, so a move to end it and cash in the chips might be the best thing in order. If a reclassification comes down, I think BYU will end up in the middle rather than the top and join Utah State, since I'm sure some want them there if they insist on keeping a program. Perhaps rejoining the MWC is in order down in Provo in such a scenario.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    June 4, 2012 5:32 p.m.

Have to agree with Lux et Veritas. Half the country will be asleep.

• Eddie Syracuse, UT
    June 4, 2012 5:32 p.m.

I will still take the exposure of ESPN with a soft schedule and winning games than sitting in the pac 12 on the bottom half of the southern division and going no where real fast. Don't believe me? just ask AZ and AZ State. They are totally irrelevant on the national scene.....same as Utah is and will be from now on.

• Austin Coug Pflugerville, TX
    June 4, 2012 5:25 p.m.

Lux,

Schedule and time smack is week. I can watch the games which is a vast improvement of years in the MNT when we were all limited to the radio.

Dave

• Pavalova Surfers Paradise, AU
    June 4, 2012 5:20 p.m.

It would be awesome if we could have a home game against the Buffs to go to the chamionship...oh wait. That'll never happen...again!

• Lux et Veritas Draper, UT
    June 4, 2012 4:56 p.m.

If you call 8:15 on a Thursday night (10:15 eastern) against the likes of Utah State "exposure."

Nice try, Deseret News.

• WaybackCougar Salt Lake City, UT
    June 4, 2012 4:50 p.m.

Why gripe that there's no new news in this article? Obviously there's nothing new to report on and won't be for weeks. It's a dead time of the year. I'm glad they try to write something every once to renew my excitement for the upcoming season. It's a long wait until late August.

Personally, I love night games early in the season when the weather is warm. Not so much in November, though. And while Thursday is tough for a late game due to work the next day, Friday is great. I'd have no problem with all Friday night (or Sat. night) games through late October. As a season ticket holder traveling from SLC, Saturday day games end up eating up most of my day.

• NightOwlAmerica SALEM, OR
    June 4, 2012 4:30 p.m.

Yeah if I was BYU I would be talking about the ESPN exposure as well. You are going to get bumped by other ESPN contracts and games of more interest to college football fans. Its not in the best interest of ESPN to cater only to green jello and funeral potatoes on a stick fans.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    June 4, 2012 4:24 p.m.

The Y is going to get its ears boxed this year with little Riley Nelson at QB. Boise, Utah and others are licking their chops. Nelson was a gimmick last year and now that teams understand what doman-ball is all about there is going to be alot of repeats of the Utah game last year .. this year. BYU is no fun to watch anymore - BYU is like watching Airforce. Bronco has ruined BYU football.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    June 4, 2012 4:20 p.m.

Let's see, 4 out of 5 comments, negative blather from utah "fans". Do you understand now why I am the balance gdog?

• sammyg Springville, UT
    June 4, 2012 4:17 p.m.

Yes, Patriot... of course winning 4 games and losing 5 in your conference is a signinficant accomplishment.

I never hear anyone disparage and nag Boise St. for waltzing through their WAC cupcake schedule of yesteryear and destroying the Utes.

Why is that?

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    June 4, 2012 3:56 p.m.

it doesn't matter if you are playing on ESPN a 1000 times if you are playing cup cakes like Idaho State or Weber State. You soon become known as a lesser program. The U may not be on ESPN much but playing in the Pac12 elevates them far beyond the Y . The goal of the program shouldn't have anything to do with ESPN appearances but rather playing in a viable and respected conference. BYU can't schedule ANY good teams at home as an independent and that isn't going to change. It is either get into the Big12 conference or die a slow death into obscurity as an independent.

• Madden Herriman, UT
    June 4, 2012 3:21 p.m.

I support continuing to play Utah State on the Friday before conference as usual, and maybe 1 other home game and 1-2 road games on a Thursday/Friday. Beyond that, you ruin the home game experience for too many fans who actually attend games. I want to head to the stadium for some nice Saturday afternoons and evenings. I find the 2011 date scheduling a big disappointment (especially when the I-15 construction is going to be a disastrous nightmare all through the Fall).

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    June 4, 2012 3:19 p.m.

Jeff,

What was new in this article that I and many others didn't already know. This is old news. It has already been reported in the Deseret News or other news sources. BYU happy with ESPN? That is a real revelation.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    June 4, 2012 3:11 p.m.

Did the Big12 call yet?

You guess must be freaking out.

• SundanceKid27 OREM, UT
    June 4, 2012 3:03 p.m.

BYU fans don't enjoy the poor competition at home games.

• Ldsfan South Jordan, UT
    June 4, 2012 3:03 p.m.

You are exactly right Bronco. If you win, especially early, you will enjoy a lot of benefits especially in recruiting locally. To get blown out by Boise State and Utah within a 5 day period could be devastating. Utah State, Oregon State, Georgia Tech and Notre Dame is also a rough stretch.

Exposure is a double edged sword.Keep winning and the exposure will do wonders for the program. A few losses in a row will also do wonders for the exposure as millions will watch it happen.

Good luck on the exposure.