Glenn Beck unleashes his dogs of war

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    June 4, 2012 11:16 a.m.

If Beck & his loud-mouthed cohorts have all the answers, the way they believe they speak the truth, then why don't they run for office and fix everything?
    The fact is, almost none of their so-called solutions would actually work in the real world. They prey on the ignorant and it makes them very wealthy. That fact is the only "truth" when it comes to Beck, preying on the ignorant to make himself rich.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    June 4, 2012 9:19 a.m.

A Guy With A Brain
    Enid, OK
    Glenn Beck speaks the truth.

7:17 p.m. June 3, 2012

This is what scares me more than anything Glenn Beck ever says --
    Those who believe he is truely a Prophet.

• coltakashi Richland, WA
    June 4, 2012 2:07 a.m.

Attacking conservative commentators as ignorant is a display of ignorance. For example, both Ann Coulter and Laura Ingraham graduated from law school and served as law clerks for justices on the US Supreme Court. That is the most significant honor that can be awarded to a tecent law school graduate. It is the most sought after legal position in the nation, and only the best of the best get to be selected. Those selected are essentially the top one tenth of one percent of recent law school graduates, and the entry to prestigious positions in the profession. Your chance of becoming a Supreme Court justice some day is greatly enhaced by having that on your resume.

Similarly, those who criticize Mitt Romney's intelligence are not smart enough to understand what it means to earn both law and.business.management degrees from Harvard.

• coltakashi Richland, WA
    June 4, 2012 1:51 a.m.

Beck's programming has transformed substantially over the years, from a huge amount of almost The Daily Show style satire abput current events, to a much more serious demeanor, though with the irony that one gets on programs like Fox News' Red Eye program. And it is not scripted, and goes for several hours a day. I can generally take it.only in limited doses of half an hour at a time, because I prefer the more cerebral conservative discussion of Michael Medved, but I have frankly not heard Beck say anything that was presented as serious truth (distinct from obvious satite) that was not arguably a true interpretation of the obhective facts. I once thought Beck had.gone.ovrr the edge, but it was when.he was.talking about Obama winning the Nobel Peace Prize one month into his presidency. What a silly joke, I thpught, it has not even enough plausibility to be good comedy. Then I switched over to NPR and found that Obama had created a world that is so ridiculous only satirists like Beck can truly capture its looniness.

• A Guy With A Brain Enid, OK
    June 3, 2012 7:17 p.m.

Glenn Beck speaks the truth.

Sure, like any person, he's wrong sometimes. But that's the keyword, "sometimes".

Glenn gets it right waaaay more than he gets it wrong.

There's a reason his ability to get his message of America, patriotism, personal responsibility, small government and God, out to the masses. It's called "divine assistance". Don't like that? Tough. I'll say it again: "divine assistance".

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    June 3, 2012 9:23 a.m.

I have a friend who is stock up on guns & ammo because of Beck's doom & gloom. He also cashed out his money to purchase gold & silver.
    He's convinced the dollar has no value and hyper-inflation is right around the corner.
    Those on the far right have been making these same claims for decades yet here we are, still living in a society that works.

Anyone who claims Beck has more credibility than NBC is just simply wrong on every level. Take a step back, take a deep breath and try to look at the world objectively. If you believe Beck has credibility, you are not capable of understanding reality.

• Wally West SLC, UT
    June 2, 2012 5:38 p.m.

re: Hutterite 5:30 p.m. May 30, 2012

Hank Hill would call GB a giblet head & rightly so.... All GB needs is a baseball cap and sunglasses and boom... we have a real life Dale Gribble.

But seriously (?), after reading the title, I can sleep easier tonight knowing who let dogs out... right after I call the Baha Men.

• Rick2009 MESA, AZ
    June 2, 2012 1:24 p.m.

I think Glenn Beck is a great Mormon and a great American. He stands up for what he believes, and is willing to tackle unpopular subjects. He has done a lot of great work and will continue to do so for a long time. I support him 100%, so there.........

• durwood kirby South Jordan, UT
    June 2, 2012 8:42 a.m.

There are many a good soul, including most of my family, who live and die with every word that comes out of Beck's mouth. I find it really difficult to believe that anyone gives this guy any credibility. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that this guy is mostly on his own errand, and loves every ounce of attention that comes his way.

Want truth? Try the scriptures and conference addresses, and a little time for reflection. Your time will be much better spent. Seriously. Seriously.

• one day... South Jordan, UT
    June 1, 2012 9:41 p.m.

Honestly...that guy is c r a z y!
    I'm LDS, more conservative than liberal, I didn't like Bush or Obama now, but Mr. Beck is "wow" but the worng type of it!
    There are a lot better ways to tell and say the truth (the truth, not what you think or believe is happening) he is like a religious extremist (I'm Mormon but not crazy)he doesn't know the limit of what is right to say or not, doesn't have the diplmacy to say things or in a respect way.
    This guy for me like many other from the other side is NUTS!!!
    Because of people like this the US is fighting with each other, instead of seeing things that the do good and things that we can do better...TOGETHER

• Whatever Springville, UT
    June 1, 2012 3:10 p.m.

I'd like to listen to Glenn Beck more, but Obama has me trapped in a FEMA trailer.

• Archer Salt Lake City, Utah
    June 1, 2012 7:02 a.m.

Glenn claims he is a student of history.

• mark Salt Lake City, UT
    June 1, 2012 1:46 a.m.

"The one thing I really like about Beck is that he encourages his listeners/viewers to do their homework and not take his word."

Yes he does. So, Hawkyo, the question is: Do you actually do what Beck suggests? Because I do. And the guy is lying.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    May 31, 2012 2:07 p.m.

FYI --

I would tend to listen and believe Glenn Beck more is was more - shall we say - Fair & Balanced.

But his schtick is bent hard Right-wing.
    And the far-Right is just as wrong as the far-Left,
    but that convienently goes un-noticed, reported, or discussed.

And a 1/2 truth, or exagaration, is just another way of telling a lie.

The truth,
    The WHOLE truth,
    and nothing BUT the Truth.

And thing more or less, is a lie.

• Midwest Mom Soldiers Grove, WI
    May 31, 2012 7:45 a.m.

"He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings, perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself." (1 Timothy 6:4-5)

• iron&clay RIVERTON, UT
    May 31, 2012 5:24 a.m.

When you go against the flow like Glenn does, it will create rapids.

The flow that I am referring to was exposed by a congressional investigation into elite tax exempt foundations.

The president of the Ford foundation disclosed to this investigative commitee that the purpose of their grant making power was to effect and alter the media, academia and government so the the citizens of the United States would more easily be willing to accept and become slaves to an international socialist collective.

• RedneckLefty St. George, UT
    May 31, 2012 12:53 a.m.

Beck is inches away from started his own church, and half of Utah is inches away from joining it.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    May 30, 2012 10:01 p.m.

Beck preaches the Gospel of Man, the selfish worship of wealth and power. It is opposite of the Gospel of Jesus. Do yourself a favor and listen to General Conference talks instead. You will be a better person for it.

• Hawkyo SYRACUSE, UT
    May 30, 2012 8:18 p.m.

You're ranting again old man, the guilty take the truth to be hard. The one thing I really like about Beck is that he encourages his listeners/viewers to do their homework and not take his word. I wonder if you've ever honestly even tried to see things from another perspective.

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    May 30, 2012 7:24 p.m.

I used to listen to Beck more when he was getting started and he was more funny than serious. I liked the format better than. I am a conservative but I get a little concerned, not by what Beck says, but by how many people take his word as gospel. He is right on the issues, but he is a little too dramatic and emotional (which is a large part of why he's so successful) for my taste.

Beck is correct on a lot of points, but I prefer to take the Gordon B. Hinckley view of things. He was always good to stress not being too doom and gloom. I think it's a better way to live. Just my opinion of course.

Having said that, Glenn Beck has more credibility in his little finger than everyone at NBC and MSNBC news combined. At least I know what I'm getting with Beck. He doesn't pretend to be a journalist.

• delasalle Sandy, UT
    May 30, 2012 7:24 p.m.

I can't believe we are giving this man more free air time. It's embarrassing that a paper from Utah owned by the Church goes to such lengths to cover this man who will one day by a black-eye for Utah and Mormons in general. Don't say I didn't warn you.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    May 30, 2012 5:30 p.m.

In spite of his intense appeal to hyper conservatives, pardon the pun but 'somethin' ain't right about that boy...'.

• Evets Eagle Mountain, UT
    May 30, 2012 5:15 p.m.

Excellent article and it does not even cover all of Beck's empire. He still has advertisers on his TV program. GBTV has more programs than the ones listed not counting the specials he produces. Real News his TV news program is excellent. He is into so many things....I don't know how he does it. Lots of energy.

I always find it interesting when the Nay Sayers come out of the woodwork on any Beck story. It is obvious by what the say that they have no idea of what Beck says. They repeat ridiculous things that have no bases in reality. Anyone that listens to or watches Beck knows in an instant how wrong these anti-Beck people are.

• Doogie South Jordan, Utah
    May 30, 2012 4:26 p.m.

LDS Liberal

Unfortunately truth has been labeled as conspiracy theories by the nay sayers. Truth to the nay sayers does not come with peace and comfort because they can't or won't accept it. We live in a world where our politicians have their own agendas and aparently from all the troubles our country is experiencing they don't have the best interests of their constituents in mind, so the truth hurts when they are exposed. They just keep lying to cover up their misdeeds. So what if Beck may exagerate at times, he is getting people's attention and mustering to support to take our country back. Do you have a problem with that? Do you think the country is headed in the right direction? If you do, I feel sorry for your blindness.

• JWB Kaysville, UT
    May 30, 2012 4:19 p.m.

We have plenty of good men and women in the United States of America that Israel could honor. However, our countries leadership has made it very difficult for Israel to continue a relationship with those in charge. At least, Mr. Beck has continued the relationship on his own without the Government's help. Israel is surrounded by countries that have people that would love to destroy that country and those people in their government. Good for Israel to find someone to recognize in our country of 300,000 plus people.

• Fred Bastiat Provo, UT
    May 30, 2012 4:19 p.m.

LDS Liberal

your information is wrong. Glenn Beck has criticized birthers, never said Obama is muslim, and actually discredited the FEMA camp story.

Do your research before you criticize someone. Especially when you criticize them for half truths and wrap yourself in the banner of the gospel.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    May 30, 2012 2:28 p.m.

Fitness Freak
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I listen to Glenn Beck all the time in the morning and haven't ever heard him lie about anything...

Somewhere in Time, UT
    I wish the people who claim Beck lies, etc. would actually listen to...

1/2 truths, Mis-Speaks, exaggerations, and implied guilt toward others are guess-what?....
    all LIES!

It called: Bearing False Witness, and it's God term for a liar.
    It's one of his 10 commandments.
    And believe it or not - Communism and Socialism didn't even make the 1st cut on God's short list of sins.

Obama is a Muslim
    Obama building Secret Government FEMA Camps for Republicans

Shall I go on?

Glenn Beck has become notorious for his conspiracy theories and incendiary rhetoric.

Truth - which is given via the Holy Spirit is received with Peace and Comfort -- not hysteria and incendiary rhetoric.

• Dadof5sons Montesano, WA
    May 30, 2012 2:21 p.m.

@ one old man,

So please list the lies that Glenn has told! I am sure you have them right? Oh wait you don't because he does not lie! He exposes the facts!

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    May 30, 2012 2:20 p.m.

@ Cats

Help me out here. Who else is it who will tell a 100 truths to get you to believe 1 lie?

To truly understand Glennie's character IMO look at the cover of his book "Being George Washington"... a picture truly is worth a 1000 words.

Then, there is the article in Forbes (I think) about 18 months ago where he states he is an entertainer.

• Mad Hatter Provo, UT
    May 30, 2012 2:16 p.m.

Beck? As long as he has his choir, he will enjoy a sumptuous lifestyle. We have all known that there are immense career opportunities pandering to the wingnut wack-os of the Tea Party. And in Sean Hannity, Ann Coulter, Michelle Malkin, and the others pseudo-intellects of the Right-Wing and you have more than enough propaganda to fill one's needs. However, all take a backseat to Beck. He is the mostest. Even Newt Gingrich conceeds that no one can do it like the Beckster!

• one old man Ogden, UT
    May 30, 2012 2:11 p.m.

(here is part two)

I later went to Beck's website and found a transcript of the broadcast. It contained a "correction" changing what he'd said to the correct number. Then I noticed that on this and most other transcripts, there were a large number of similar "corrections." It became apparent that Beck was using wildly inflated numbers on the air and then "correcting" them in writing.

The problem is that very few people check transcripts after hearing a statement on the air. Even though Beck has "corrected" his "misstatements," the false idea is still floating around out there. His unthinking followers swallow it, hook, line and sinker. If something is not true, and is not corrected so all his listeners will have a chance to hear it, isn't that a lie?

• one old man Ogden, UT
    May 30, 2012 2:11 p.m.

Star, although I don't listen to Beck very often, I've heard enough to know that he's quite full of it much of the time.

I don't have a list handy, so how about one incident from about a year ago? In that broadcast, we told listeners that the reason real estate costs were so high in California is because the Federal government owns 80+% of the state's land. (I don't recall the exact number but it was 80 something.) This meant, he claimed, that there was so little land left over on which to build houses, that it explained the high costs of living out there. The actual number is 45%.

(This has to be done in two parts because of DN's 200 word limit)

• IDC Boise, ID
    May 30, 2012 1:31 p.m.

He is a little further right than me and likes to entertain through a bit of sensationalism but I say, good for him. I hope he gets 50 million subscribers and we can get this country turned away from big government and back to what made America great - us, the people, not the government.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    May 30, 2012 1:11 p.m.

I wish the people who claim Beck lies, etc. would actually listen to what he says instead of just repeating what they hear on liberal media outlets. If they did, they'd find out that Glenn is actually a reasonable, decent, down-to-earth guy and NOT a liar.

I don't always agree with Glenn and, it's true, he sometimes becomes rather emotional, but he's not out of wack or extreme. He backs up everything he states with documentation.

• Fitness Freak Salt Lake City, UT
    May 30, 2012 1:00 p.m.

Maybe some of the commentators here call things "lies" when they just don't like the message?

As far as the amount of money he earns; the left-wing liberals can always start their OWN program and see if they can make that much money.

THATS what makes America great!

• AZRods Maricopa, AZ
    May 30, 2012 11:17 a.m.

LDliberal, is "it" really pathetic or is it more pathetic that you apparently listen to Beck's free radio program, then come on here to comment on how pathetic it is?
    Bitter, party of two;)

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    May 30, 2012 11:05 a.m.

If ever there was a dynamo, it is Glen Beck. He is a very able person. I wish he had a more accurate sense of what is right.

• Star Bright Salt Lake City, Ut
    May 30, 2012 10:40 a.m.

Please, one old man, tell me what he has lied about? I would like a list that you can give me a link to, not just what the left has said he said.
    "he has many Americans completely fooled into believing him." You mean obama, is that who you were talking about?

Thank you Mr Askar, I was very upset with you about your other article about Glenn in Israel. Thank you for an article that tells the straight story. It is so fun to watch his progress after all the doomsayers in the left.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    May 30, 2012 10:24 a.m.

His daily AM radio show that airs for free
    has devolved into nothing more than a 2 hour advertisement for GBTV, the Blaze, and Mercury Radio.

"Like I said last night on GBTV - for those of you who turned in - you'll remember when I said..."
    "But there's more, much much more. That's just a taste, just a small snippet of what you'll discover tonight on GBTV...."

It's pathetic quite frankly.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    May 30, 2012 8:26 a.m.

This is downright frightening. Beck is dangerous. It might be different if he was truthful. But he's not. Even more frightening is the fact that he has many Americans completely fooled into believing him.