Family

Living with same-sex attraction: Our story

Comments

• Swedish reader Stockholm, Sweden
    May 28, 2012 7:16 a.m.

Not that I know this couple, but from reading the article I get the impression that their relationship is based on genuine love and friendship - which is what makes a marriage work long term. Thank you for sharing your story!

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    May 27, 2012 10:37 p.m.

*'In doing so, recognize that marriage is not an all-purpose solution. Same-gender attractions run deep, and trying to force a heterosexual relationship is not likely to change them. We are all thrilled when some who struggle with these feelings are able to marry, raise children, and achieve family happiness. But other attempts have resulted in broken hearts and broken homes.'

- Title: “Helping Those Who Struggle with Same-Gender Attraction,”
    - Author Elder Jeffrey R. Holland - Oct 2007
    Source? LDS website.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    May 27, 2012 10:36 p.m.

*'Psychologists nix gay-to-straight therapy' - AP - 08/05/09

'The American Psychological Association declared Wednesday...(sic) No solid evidence exists that such change (to orientation) is likely, says the report, and some research suggests that efforts to produce change could be harmful, inducing depression and suicidal tendencies.'

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    May 27, 2012 10:36 p.m.

*'Gay man says 'reversal' therapy did not change him' - By Lisa Leff - Associated Press - Published by DSNews - 01/20/10

'A gay man testified Wednesday in a federal same-sex marriage trial that the "reversal therapy" he underwent as a teenager to change his sexual orientation drove him to the brink of suicide.'

• mattrick78 Cedar City, UT
    May 27, 2012 12:38 a.m.

RanchHand: Yes, some mixed-oriented couples don't work out same with same-sex and hetero couples. All have the potential to be heartbreaking as with all break ups.

• Nan BW ELder, CO
    May 24, 2012 7:32 p.m.

I read the story, and I wish them nothing but the very best. It appears to me that he did indeed place his faith in the Lord and this is the result. We've had relatives who chose to pursue life with partners of the same sex, and eventually became too disabled to work, and disullusioned with life. Before he died, one of the men told his parents he regretted his choice. I like Chris B's parting comment too.

• George Bronx, NY
    May 23, 2012 5:05 p.m.

sorry that last comment was suppose to be @chris B

• George Bronx, NY
    May 23, 2012 4:46 p.m.

you can be as sure as you want that you are right but it does not change the fact that you do not live in this man or any other persons body so you could not possibly know what they think and feel about their sexuality. I am happy this choice worked out for him, it is not for everyone but to each his own.

• AZ Blue & Red Gilbert, AZ
    May 23, 2012 3:36 p.m.

Excellent article if you have not read it.

Wish them the best. (and others too). Know a few myself.

Chris B agree with you 100% on your last comment.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    May 23, 2012 3:27 p.m.

Clearly this guy is bisexual then if he had a child, and just one year after marriage! I know the lefties will argue this. But I'm 100% positive I am would be physically incapable of having sexual relations with another guy. Similarly, this guy must be attracted to both women and men if he was physically capable of producing children. It would have been impossible otherwise.

Though not Mormon, I'm glad to see someone who has bisexual feelings realize that right is right and wrong is wrong.

• RanchHand Huntsville, UT
    May 23, 2012 1:41 p.m.

I trusted "Him" to take care of tomorrow and he did. He put me in touch with my life-partner.

I hope it works out for you two, but I know far too many mixed-orientation couples where it didn't work out. The end result in most of those cases was heartache; especially if there are children. In several of these instances, there was never any sex at all, which really made the poor girl feel unwanted (one of these couples included a girl I knew from school and church - she was in my ward). She was never really happy until after the divorce and re-marriage; a marriage in which she was able to have sexual relations and children.

I do wish you the best of luck though.