Sports

Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga returns to Chicago to make NFL dream work

Comments

• Riddles in the Dark Olympus Cove, Utah
    May 25, 2012 1:04 p.m.

Utah-Hawaii Alum

"He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone..."

EVERYONE makes mistakes, but unlike many, Harvey was willing to own up to his mistake and has gone on to be a GREAT example of redemption and learning from mistakes.

Trying to argue that not announcing his mistake immediately after it happened is the equivalent of lying about it, is simply the desperate claim of a hater who obviously hasn't learned anything from the above admonition.

• Pavalova Surfers Paradise, AU
    May 23, 2012 9:48 p.m.

I loved watching Harvey tear up the UW defense in Seattle. I am a bit confused as to why he would need financial aid from BYU to finish his schooling. Shouldn't that be set aside for students that are in worse financial circumstnaces than he is. Perhaps his contract is not that financially rewarding at this point.

@Utah-Hawaii...you need to let the hate go. For a team that has spanked BYU in recent memory, just stick to the positives.

• Utah-Hawaii Alum Dallas, TX
    May 23, 2012 6:47 p.m.

@BigCougar,

The baby bump sir.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    May 23, 2012 6:34 p.m.

@Utah-Hawaii Alum
    "He lied, and got caught.

Huh?! What did he lie about and what did he get caught doing?

• Utah-Hawaii Alum Dallas, TX
    May 23, 2012 5:14 p.m.

Harvey is cool now because he obedient. He lied, and got caught.

• MESOUTE SLC, UT
    May 23, 2012 4:43 p.m.

Good luck Harvey. I am aghast at the mindless fans who make reference to his time at BYU. Really low.

• HerbSewell Las Vegas, Nevada
    May 23, 2012 12:07 p.m.

"I've had a lot of curveballs thrown my way and a lot of it, I would say, was brought on by myself..." This to me is a great statement by a young man that shows a lot of character and wisdom beyond his years.

• So. Cal Reader San Diego, CA
    May 23, 2012 11:49 a.m.

Re: vatrachos- “It was important for him to take a break from the NFL(!!) for his family and his schooling.”

I think we might be reading a little too much into the article. Yes. Very commendable that he would graduate and “take care” of family priorities. But, let’s also not lose sight that Unga was also damaged goods, injury-wise. He couldn’t offer the Bears much at all any way the 2 years he “sat out.” I’m a Cougs fan and loved to watch Unga carry the ball, but he never finished a college season free of pretty substantial injuries. And that was is an admittedly weak conference. I don’t think there’s any way his body can absorb the hard hits of the NFL. I hope I’m wrong. I’d love to see what he can do in the NFL. That’s way I said earlier the college degree will do far, far more for him long-term wise than this extremely brief NFL “opportunity.”

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    May 23, 2012 10:59 a.m.

@So. Cal Reader "This guy is one solid NFL-caliber hit away from another "season-ending" injury."

Bro, EVERY football player is one solid hit away from a season-ending, or career-ending, injury. With the way Harvey plays, I wouldn't be surprised if he dished out some of those hits. The guy's tough and a total bruiser.

Basically, he's a stud :)

Great story of redemption, good luck to you, Harvey!

@Jenny83 "Harvey has sex with his girlfriend at BYU and you think he's a role model?"

Classic Ute fan/BYU hater comment. It's comments like these that made Max say what he did about U. Thanks for validating Mr. Hall, little sis. I know he'd be proud.

Go Cougars!

• So. Cal Reader San Diego, CA
    May 23, 2012 9:01 a.m.

Sorry Unga faithful. This guy is one solid NFL-caliber hit away from another "season-ending" injury. Good for him if he was able to actually obtain his degree. Perhaps he can then do more than sale cell phones at a mall kiosk.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    May 23, 2012 8:36 a.m.

Met Harvey a few times. Good dude and one of a short list of Cougars I admired watching. He should be alright.

• KamUte South Jordan, UT
    May 23, 2012 7:32 a.m.

We all make mistakes. He paid for his mistakes. Good job Harvey. Good luck.

• Hawkyo SYRACUSE, UT
    May 22, 2012 8:21 p.m.

Jenny, let go of the hate, it makes you ugly. Forgiveness is a beautiful thing, is a gift to all who repent. Harvey has moved on, you should too.

• Utah'95 FPO, AE
    May 22, 2012 7:42 p.m.

Good luck, Harvey.

• CA. reader Rocklin, CA
    May 22, 2012 7:27 p.m.

Yes Jenny83, that is what repentance is all about. Harvey could have attempted to cover up his mistake but he did the right thing. Now you may think that he had no choice because pregnancy is pretty obvious but he came forward. He taught young people that long-term pre-marital relationships can lead to big mistakes and consequences. I used Harvey's story to counsel a returned-missionary son and his girlfriend to illustrate the value of Church leaders' counsel.

• Jenny83 OGDEN, UT
    May 22, 2012 7:10 p.m.

Harvey has sex with his girlfriend at BYU and you think he's a role model?

• vatrachos Boston, MA
    May 22, 2012 3:07 p.m.

What a great guy Harvey is! Here is a great example of Bronco's "football 5th" mentality. It was important for him to take a break from the NFL(!!) for his family and his schooling. Harvey is a total class act in my mind. It may not have been Bronco/BYU who instilled this in Harvey, but it exemplifies what type of athletes/people BYU wants to produce. I think its great. Harvey, you are awesome!!

• Alaskan Ute Fairbanks, AK
    May 22, 2012 2:09 p.m.

Good luck Harvey. You were an awesome player in college and can succeed in the NFL. I loved watching you play. Go Utes!

• sid 6.7 Holladay, UT
    May 22, 2012 1:59 p.m.

I am a big Utah fan but I have always had respect for Mr. Unga. He is a class act and a great role model to our youth.

Best of luck to you Mr.Unga. I'll be cheering for you.

• Papa Smurf UTE Herriman, UT
    May 22, 2012 11:56 a.m.

I was happy to see Harvey go, and miss his senior year. His presence alone would have made a world of difference for Heaps and Nelson. Now that he is gone, I wish him well, and hopefully he can make it with the Bears or another team. Family does come first before anything. It's nice to see a player take a year off to go be with his young family, to then go back and try to make it again in football once things have settled down. Good luck Harvey.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    May 22, 2012 11:02 a.m.

I'm glad to see that Harvey valued his education enough to come back and graduate from BYU. That's important and setting a great example for others. I'm glad that Harvey is growing and working on the right values in his life and the life of his family.

• neltz Farmington, UT
    May 22, 2012 10:31 a.m.

Best of luck Harvey! We're pulling for you!

• Utah-Hawaii Alum Dallas, TX
    May 22, 2012 10:11 a.m.

Harvey Unga broke the honor code! And, he knew it!

• COUGARNATE Lyman, WY
    May 22, 2012 9:44 a.m.

Good luck Harvey, oh yeah and by the way push your second cousin Jabari to Provo, Please.

• IDC Boise, ID
    May 22, 2012 9:24 a.m.

I've always been a big fan of Unga, now I am even more. Love to see guys who are good at their sport, and great at life. Go Harvey!

• Grouper Loveland, CO
    May 22, 2012 9:06 a.m.

a complete and total man. Good story. Proud to share an alma mater with Harvey. Go get 'em

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    May 22, 2012 7:57 a.m.

Good luck and have FUN!

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    May 22, 2012 7:30 a.m.

Good Luck Harvey. Maybe I will be a Bears fan again in the near future.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    May 22, 2012 7:21 a.m.

Here's an Aggie pulling for Harvey. Time to shine Unga!

• metamoracoug metamora, IL
    May 22, 2012 5:46 a.m.

Best wishes to you, Harvey! You will be the ONLY reason I cheer for the Bears.

• Utah Teacher Orem, UT
    May 22, 2012 1:25 a.m.

Harvey, your old 7th grade science teacher still believes in you! I can't wait for the day when I see you on the field in the NFL. Maybe one day your team will go up against Matt's team. That will be a proud day for us at CMS!

Congrats on being a Dad! It is the best job of all!