Sports

Utes' Lotulelei, White named preseason All-Americans

Comments

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    May 23, 2012 6:57 p.m.

What, nobody from that NATIONAL POWERHOUSE down in Utah County has been named an All-American? What in the heck has this World come to? Don't these people know anything at all????????

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 23, 2012 4:29 p.m.

Obsession = 13 posts by Ute-hater Ducky, out of 62 on a U of U story.
    Disdain = 1 post by U of U fan reminding Ducky of his "promise" to leave.

LOL!

May 23, 2012 3:42 p.m.

I see naval vet has run away now that he has been proven wrong.

LOL!

@johninslc

I own you. You are obsessed with me.

LOL!

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 23, 2012 11:44 a.m.

Ducky:

Just remember:
    Pac-12 Network, tick . . . tick . . . tick.

Bye-Bye!!!

LOL

• Utah-Hawaii Alum Dallas, TX
    May 22, 2012 6:01 p.m.

@ Billybubba,

At least I know what going college is all about, and not being an extra in the movie "Deliverance." I know you are proud of that. Cheers!

May 22, 2012 2:31 p.m.

@reasonableUTE

Well Star is inarguably a stud, I wish he could have attended BYU but it is obvious he wound up at the right place for him.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    May 22, 2012 1:31 p.m.

@ reasonableUTE: "I don't know why this ridiculous argument started"

Someone is trying to start a ridiculous argument to deflect attention from his "Fangupo" debacle!!

Go Utes!! Go Star!! Go Wolfman!!

• reasonableUTE Provo, UT
    May 22, 2012 10:59 a.m.

@Duckhunter,

as a ute fan, I thank you for giving props to Star where props are due. I don't know why this ridiculous argument started, but I for one am excited about the talent that the utes have this year. The Wolfman is possibly my favorite ute of all time, aside from Weddle of course!

• billybubba South Jordan, UT
    May 22, 2012 9:47 a.m.

The only troll that makes me think of Maj Winchester is Utah-Hawaii Alum you know the one who brought up the fact that he was a full ride scholly Div 1 athlete that competed for Hawaii from 1983-85 on their golf team now that sounds like Maj Winchester

May 22, 2012 7:06 a.m.

@MiP

Are you asking where I attended? Both BYU briefly and UVSC. UVSC is my alma mater.

As far as Gurney is concerned I actually don't care where he went to school or who he covers I just find it amusing that utah "fans" like naval vet, chris b, stg, and so many of the others spend so much time claiming he is a "BYU homer" when in fact he attended the university of utah. I suppose it is entirely possible he is one of the thousands of utah students that are actually BYU fans, I know a lot of those, but like you said I see no indication of it from his articles other than he does write positive things about BYU recruits and commits. It is his job afterall to cover BYU recruiting and no one that covers recruiting for any school writes a bunch of negative stuff about their recruits. When guys commit or sign it is always positive because no one knows how they will turn out yet, it is an optimistic moment by nature. But some of these utah "fans" want everything about BYU to be a negative and that includes media coverage.

• Carson Provo, UT
    May 21, 2012 10:22 p.m.

Just a thought...... does anybody else ever think of Maj Winchester from MASH when they read one of the trolls posts?

I do, and sammy makes me think of Klinger

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    May 21, 2012 8:11 p.m.

Congrats to Star and Wolfman. Here's hoping both can stay healthy this year.

====

Looked up Brandon Gurney on Facebook and one of the first ones on there was THE Brandon Gurney, who "studied at the University of Utah."

Duckhunter is right.

But as far as being a Y-homer? He's employed by DesNews (as well as scout.com and KSL) to cover BYU recruiting. As it is the DN, I'm sure there is an obligation on him to be pretty positive about the recruits---hence the appearance of being a "homer." Yet, I've not seen him say things disparaging about the U, so there I don't belive he is a turncoat.

But based on his profile, he's a part of "Clipper Nation" which I found interesting.

I also find it interesting Duckhunter is breaking out the studied at/graduated from smack amist the hair-talk. Why? What is his alma mater anyway?

• Carson Provo, UT
    May 21, 2012 4:59 p.m.

I bet Ducky looks like Major Winchester and Sammyg probably looks like Radar!

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    May 21, 2012 4:23 p.m.

Duckhunter:

"All you have to do is look up his facebook profile. I've now given you 3 references you just refuse to look at them...You are obviously incapable of looking up the easiest of info. All I did was google Brnadon Gurney and his facebook link appeared right there on the 1st page."

You have NOT given me 3 references. I specifically asked for the Google search engine requirements for the publication, article, author, and date of ANY of the articles you referenced, and thus far, you have provided NONE!

As for Brandon's Facebook, I looked again, and the first hit was for a guy named Brandon Gurney who had a giant "Pulp Fiction" wall on it, but nothing related to the UofU. Of the other Brandons, none looked like the one the DNews shows. I'm not willing to spend any more time searching for that which is not there. You can either post the name of the articles you referenced earlier, or tacitly admit that you have nothing.

May 21, 2012 2:29 p.m.

@naval lint

You are obviously incapable of looking up the easiest of info. All I did was google Brnadon Gurney and his facebook link appeared right there on the 1st page. I clicked on it and there it is right on his homepage "studied at university of utah". LOL!

May 21, 2012 2:26 p.m.

@naval vet

All you have to do is look up his facebook profile. I've now given you 3 references you just refuse to look at them. Or more precisely you have already looked at them, know I'm right, and now want to pretend otherwise. Yes that gets an LOL!

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    May 21, 2012 2:25 p.m.

Obviously Duckhunter does not want anyone to pay attention to the actual article that says the Utes have two pre-season all-American selections.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    May 21, 2012 2:04 p.m.

@ hymn to the silent: "Somebody lives in a Napoleon Dynamite world."

LOL!

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    May 21, 2012 2:02 p.m.

Way to go Star and Wolfman!!

Let's stick to the subject of the story and not be lead astray from some Fangupo-lovin' southie!!

Go Utes!! Onward and Upward!!

• hymn to the silent Holladay, UT
    May 21, 2012 1:47 p.m.

Hang on...slow day at the office so I read the comments on this thread. Happy to see the boys on the hill getting some pre-season attention, that should help with recruiting, but other than that, doesn't really matter. What I find funny is Duckhunter calling out Naval Vet: "Let's settle this at a ward flag football game!" Somebody lives in a Napoleon Dynamite world.

• Utah-Hawaii Alum Dallas, TX
    May 21, 2012 10:43 a.m.

@ gdog3,

I think he looks like Yoda actually.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    May 21, 2012 10:35 a.m.

Duckhunter (3 of 3):

There are a lot of "Brandon Gurneys" on Facebook, but in the few minutes I looked, I didn't find THAT guy. Furthermore, I took a couple of classes at UPenn, but that didn't put me on the Wharton Alumni distribution list, and neither do I consider myself a cougar alumnus despite studying there my Freshman year.

And, for what it's worth, Brandon Gurney's "Linked In" profile makes no mention of the University of Utah.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    May 21, 2012 10:32 a.m.

Duckhunter (2 of 3):

"Speaking about running away I invited you out to Highland this fall for one of my football teams games."

I never replied because I don't recall you having ever extended such an invitation. And for what it's worth, even if you HAD, it wouldn't be reasonable to expect that I would have accepted it. And why? Not because I'm "running away", or being I'm being "willfully ignorant".

It's because I live in Philadelphia.

FYI....that's in Pennsylvania. Do you know how far Philadelphia, PA is from Highland? Why would a Philadelphian fly all the way out to Utah to verify the validity of an anonymous poster of dubious reputation? That would be like going on a snipe hunt. You could hunt all night, but you wouldn't find one. Besides, there are plenty of Ute fan posters right there in northern Utah County and southern Salt Lake County that you could invite. Seems awfully "convenient" that you'd only do so for a working professional who lives over 2,100 miles away, dontcha think?

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    May 21, 2012 10:25 a.m.

Actually, I think Dallin Oaks looks solid to me (tough old guy).

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    May 21, 2012 10:21 a.m.

Duckhunter (1 of 3):

"Dnews doesn't allow links. I told you where you can find it."

I know that the DNews does not permit links, but it DOES permit Google search engine keywords. In case you hadn't figured it out, all you have to do to link someone to a site is provide the articles' publication, title, author, and date. Those keywords would easily link one to the site you had allegedly referenced.

And for the record, you had NOT referenced the title or date of the article where Brandon ever mentioned his association with the Univ. of Utah. Ergo, you had NOT "told [me] where [I] could find it."

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    May 21, 2012 10:14 a.m.

Duckhunter:

If you're hearing crickets, it's because the moderators wouldn't let my last post through.

• Utah-Hawaii Alum Dallas, TX
    May 21, 2012 10:05 a.m.

@Duckhunter,

I'm the exact same size and age as you, with a full head of blonde hair. I would have guessed you looked like Dallin Oakes......me bad!

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    May 21, 2012 9:59 a.m.

Didn't realize this was a dating profile website. Also still hearing crickets for a rebuttal on the bowl invitation process. Any more authoritative of a source for your seeding system than "google it?"

May 21, 2012 9:44 a.m.

@utah-hawaii

I'm 6'3" about 215 pounds, reddish/brown hair starting to gray on the sides but still thick and full. Mid 40's but look more like mid 30's. What else do you want to know?

My guess for you.

5'8" about 215 pounds. Bald. Nothing else matters after that.

May 21, 2012 9:40 a.m.

naval vet?

*crickets*

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    May 21, 2012 9:21 a.m.

Congrats to Star and John. Both great players and a well deserved honor.

• Utah-Hawaii Alum Dallas, TX
    May 21, 2012 9:09 a.m.

I know we all sit behind our computers anonymously talking smack. But, I have always wondered what Duckhunter looks like? I wish he would post a link to a happy snap pic for all of to enjoy. Any guesses what he actually looks like?

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    May 20, 2012 10:12 p.m.

Wallbanger, very topical and thoughtful reply. As already seen, those do not go over well here. But I agree with you, with offensive strengths already identified going into the season, the potential is definitely there. The difference between having that potential while displaying it a few times a year, and using it consistently is what I think set the 2008 season apart from several other decent years. The USC game will definitely be the biggest game this year, but every game needs to have the same attention to detail in preparation.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    May 20, 2012 9:57 p.m.

@Duckhunter

You are still doing the LOL thing with yourself after every post you make eh? Why is this? Because Gurney went to Utah. Please listen duckhunter, there really are more important things to worry about.

Okay let's have some fun now. Are you going to invite me to play football as well?

May 20, 2012 9:37 p.m.

@naval vet

So I see you have already "frantically and emotionally" run away.

LOL!

• Wallbanger Spanish Fork, UT
    May 20, 2012 8:53 p.m.

StGtoSLC

I definitely agree, it will be awesome to see Rowe and Kruger develop more this season. I cannot remember a time when we were more loaded on offense than we are now. If our D is as good or better than last season, and the offense shapes up to be as good as we are all expecting or hoping for...then the Utes, I think, will be VERY good this year. The game I'm most looking forward to is the one on October the 4th, if you know what I mean;) I love being in the Pac 12, so many awesome games to look forward to. Best of luck to Star and John and to all the Utes this season, may all stay healthy. And here's to a very exciting upcoming year. Go Utes!!

May 20, 2012 5:18 p.m.

@navl vet, hedgehog and other utah "fans"

So I found Brandon Gurney's profile on facebook. It say's right on it "Studied at University of utah". It does not say he graduated from utah only that he "studied" there. So I guess I was wrong that he "is a utah graduate" since it doesn't appear he graduated, just attended. Regardless that makes him a ute, he didn't attend BYU although as I hypothesized earlier he may very well be one of the thousands who attended utah but are BYU fans. LOL!

May 20, 2012 5:10 p.m.

@gdog

I was actually responding to this post of stg's on the "Blue Chip Signings" Article.

"StGtoSLC

SALT LAKE CITY, UT

Duckhunter, obviously Y-homer Gurney is going to remember every single one of these guys that signed with BYU, and forget half of the ones that went elsewhere"

I'm not sure why it posted to this article as I had never even read this article until I got the email reply from the dnews that I had posted to it. I suppose I could have clicked on it by accident instead of the other one when I went to post but I doubt it. Technical srew up probably but no big deal as this has been fun.

Now for you and on topic for the article, I agree Star is a stud, might be the best dlineman in the country and will no doubt deserve whatever honors he receives.

May 20, 2012 5:04 p.m.

@naval vet

Dnews doesn't allow links. I told you where you can find it. Another place to find it was in the signing day conversation threads. Some utah "fan" like yourself asked him that question and he answered it. I'll tell you what I love, I love how obsessed you are with me. It is extremely satisfying to know you care so deeply about the things I write. Speaking about running away I invited you out to Highland this fall for one of my football teams games. You know it is an opportunity to meet the people that live around here that I am friends with and associate with. You have not made a reply and I doubt that you will. LOL!

• Utah-Hawaii Alum Dallas, TX
    May 20, 2012 4:44 p.m.

All BYU/Utah fans know that another epic beat-down will occur on 9-15-12 at RES. Utah will embarrass BYU AGAIN. Then, Dr. Hill will not schedule BYU for a few years. I'm glad we don't need to deal with BYU anymore! Colorado is the Ute's rival nowadays. Gooooooooooo Utes!

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    May 20, 2012 10:45 a.m.

gdog3finally:

"...who cares if Gurney went to Utah or not."

Duckhunter does. Obviously. That's why he went entirely off-topic in a frantic and emotional attempt to posture himself -- due to his Indy-WACey allegiance -- as somehow having some sort of "one-up" on the Pac-12 Utes. Ducky also likes to call out others as "liars", but can never back up any of his desperate claims. I know it embarrasses him when he gets called out on these threads. It just satisfies my morbid curiosity to see if he'll "run away" as he is oft known to do -- sometimes even running all the way to Tulsa [*snicker*] for effect -- or if he'll just respond with his typical "I just know" or "research it yourself", which is just his tacit admission that he has nothing, and that he frantically and emotionally made it up.

Looks like THIS time, he chose to run away.

• CO Ute PARKER, CO
    May 20, 2012 10:35 a.m.

Spin it any way you want, it is nice to have some pre-season recognition for the Utes. Star is going to get double and triple teamed this year and JWIV will be sharing the ball with two other RB's - the numbers might not be a big as last year but the talent speaks for itself.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    May 20, 2012 3:12 a.m.

Hey hedgehog, naval vet, and duckhunter, who cares if Gurney went to Utah or not. What major dish on each other can you really serve if Gurney graduated in Poland or anywhere else?

If Gurney went to Utah and is a BYU fan and is employed by the Desnews, then good for him I guess. I have no bad blood with the guy. He hasn't insulted anybody that I know of. The comments here on this forum contain more insults in one hour than Gurney would produce in a lifetime.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    May 19, 2012 2:52 p.m.

Star is a beast. It's easy to be happy he chose to come back for senior year. I hope he can stay healthy and be a top level NFL pick next year.

Star will be double and triple teamed in the PAC 12 this year. Utah's success on defense will be on the Star's massive shoulders and the rest of the D-Line that needs to step up and take advantage of all the attention Star will get at the line of scrimmage. The inexperienced linebackers will also have to plug up the leftover holes.

I have faith in Whitt, Sitake, and Star to set the foundation for a defense that will quickly develop into one that will get the Utes atop the PAC 12 South.

• Proud Ute ,
    May 18, 2012 4:19 p.m.

So the story is about two Utes being named as pre-season All Americans and all the troll has to add is some random, irrelevent nonsense about where the author went to school?
    Sounds frantic and emotional for sure.

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    May 18, 2012 3:42 p.m.

Who cares about Gurney?

Can't wait to see what JW4 will do with a capable passing game keeping the defense off-balance. I think he will have less carries this year due to the rise of Langi and insertion of York and replacing 2 Tackles that are on NFL rosters will be challenging, but I think the Wolfman is poised for a great year.

I am also really excited to watch Lotulelei play. He was one of my favorite players to watch last year (the other was Asiata). As good as the D-line was last year, it might be even better this year. Lotulelei will be an integral part of it!

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    May 18, 2012 2:55 p.m.

Ducky,

Would you be able to provide a link to the video stating that Gurney went to Utah?

Thanks a bunch!

• Ibleedcrimson Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 18, 2012 2:00 p.m.

May I say before this thread becomes 3 pages of off topic ankle biting from the regulars who haunt these forums, congrats Utes!!! Make us proud!

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    May 18, 2012 1:56 p.m.

Duckhunter:

So in other words, what you're saying is, you can't back that up about Brandon Gurney having ever graduated from the U. I thought not. Typical.

May 18, 2012 1:10 p.m.

@naval vet

Back before signing day there were a number of video interviews posted by the dnews that involved Gurney and some guy that covers utah. In one of those interviews Gurney stated he was a utah grad. I'm going to assume he isn't publicly lying about it but I suppose if you don't want to believe him that's your business.

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    May 18, 2012 12:45 p.m.

@Duckhunter
    The answer is C ... non of the above.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    May 18, 2012 12:39 p.m.

"By the way, Gurney is a utah grad."

Yes, but his job is to report recruiting news and updates related to BYU. Ya know, make BYU look as good as he can. Like claiming that if you count returned missionaries (who have already been counted on recruiting rankings, also while ignoring the number of recruits not joining the team this year leaving on missions), then BYU has a top 25 recruiting class. Now there wouldn't be any motive for bias in this situation, would there?

• Wally West SLC, UT
    May 18, 2012 12:26 p.m.

@ cougarfanzz 11:18 a.m. May 18, 2012L

So? All the gum flapping about the Y being a legacy program and past accomplishments is rubbish?

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    May 18, 2012 12:26 p.m.

Duckhunter:

Per Brandon Gurney's DNews bio...

"Brandon Gurney covers recruiting, high school sports, and BYU athletics for the Deseret News. Previously, he worked with scout.com for eight years, covering BYU, with an emphasis on recruit coverage. He joined the Deseret News full-time in the summer of 2011."

That's it. That's all it said. Nothing about having ever graduated from the U.

In 2007, the Univ. of Utah published a 1,555 pg. Alumni Directory consisting of over 230,000 Utah graduates. But in THAT edition, there were only 5 "Gurneys":

(1) Allen Gurney - BS 1970, MS 1973;
    (2) Clinton Gurney - BA 1967;
    (3) Eric Gurney - BMT 1985;
    (4) Kathryn Gurney - BS 1971;
    (5) Walden Gurney - MEd 1976

...but NO "Brandons". So where was it published that Brandon Gurney is a Utah alumnus? Don't tell me you know HIM too!

You didn't frantically and emotionally make THAT up as well, did you?

• Rock Of The Marne Phoenix, AZ
    May 18, 2012 11:29 a.m.

Okay Duck, once again the answer to the question nobody asked. Amusing in it's own way I guess. Possibly two #1 NFL picks from U of U in eight years; impressive. Go Utes.

• cougarfanzz american fork, UT
    May 18, 2012 11:18 a.m.

Dumb. Heck, If the media where not so liberal then there would be tons more of my cougs on all american lists. But you know how it is. All hype!

• KH Holladay, UT
    May 18, 2012 11:08 a.m.

"By the way, Gurney is a utah grad. So if, as you say, he is a "Y-homer" he must be one of that huge list of guys that couldn't get into BYU so he went to utah as a fallback and kept his BYU love despite attending utah. I wonder which it is?" - Duckhunter

This quote right here by Duckhunter is one of the reasons I, along with many Utah fans, cannot stand byu fans. FYI, duckhunter, I graduated from Utah and never even considered byu.

• MJB Tooele, UT
    May 18, 2012 10:58 a.m.

Congrats on the pre-season honors. Let's hope they can live up to the honors and not go down with an injury this season. Hope the whole team can withstand the injury bug and it could be a great year.

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    May 18, 2012 8:54 a.m.

Copngrats and stay healthy to both of these amazing players. Star simply makes Utah's linebackers better by eating so many blocks and the Wolfman will be the best running back in the Pac 12 this season. The Utes are going to fly, baby.

• couglifer South Jordan, UT
    May 18, 2012 7:59 a.m.

props to both of these fine players

May 18, 2012 7:48 a.m.

@stg

• Utah-Hawaii Alum Dallas, TX
    May 17, 2012 11:17 p.m.

The mighty Utes are gonna be DANGEROUS this season!

• Qwest Perfected Salt Lake City, UT
    May 17, 2012 9:35 p.m.

Nice props for both Star and John. I wish them both the best for the upcoming season.

I hope both guys can stay healthy and hopefully have a big impact for the Utes this year. I'm assuming that White won't get as many carries as he did last year considering our depth at running back - but I would like to see him go over 1,000 yards.

I can't wait for the season to begin - its a great time to be a Ute!

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    May 17, 2012 7:17 p.m.

Joe Kruger and Eric Rowe should have at least been third team all-conference. But it's whatever, preseason lists aren't really anything much more than a list of players you can expect to watch for during the season. If both of them keep improving the way they did last season, I expect they'll both be voted either first or second team all-conference by the coaches this year.