Sports

BYU rugby poised for second national championship

Comments

• Utah-Hawaii Alum Dallas, TX
    May 16, 2012 7:51 a.m.

@ patriot,

I think BYU rugby is more popular BYU's football team now. I saw a few of last year's WAC games at LES........man O man? Half the stadium was empty. The U sold out every PAC-12 game they hosted at RES last year by the way. Enjoy your "November" again this year at LES! Yikes!!!!!!

• localblue Sandy, UT
    May 16, 2012 2:49 a.m.

So why isn't Cal involved this year? I think without the team that has dominated the sport for years participating in the playoffs, a championship is a little hollow. Not to take anything away from the team as there's nothing they can do about it but it's too bad it's not Cal and BYU again. I'd like to beat those guys from Berkeley rather than some second tier rugby schools from the East.

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    May 15, 2012 2:59 p.m.

Slight correction needed in the above post:
    BYU rugby will start drawing more fans than Utah football soon!

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    May 15, 2012 2:34 p.m.

Rugby will start drawing more fans than football soon!!

• lasermann Orem, UT
    May 15, 2012 11:01 a.m.

According to BYU's rugby site, the Championship begins at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday. There are a bunch of other division championship games earlier in the day. I was at the Cal game last year, I'll be at this one as well.

The game will also be shown live on ESPN3 and tape delayed on ESPNU ... I'm guessing that's why BYUTV can't show the game.

GO BYU!

• RockOn Spanish Fork, UT
    May 15, 2012 9:33 a.m.

Nice review, but... what time is the game. I'd like to go. And, how about a quote from BYUTV on why they are not broadcasting a championship game for BYU???

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    May 15, 2012 9:14 a.m.

So, what time does this begin on Saturday?

• hymn to the silent Holladay, UT
    May 15, 2012 8:55 a.m.

Good luck to the boys down south from a U fan. Arkansas is a very good team, perhaps better than Cal...and Life was outstanding this year. You win this one and you will have earned it.

• Unca Bon OREM, UT
    May 15, 2012 1:25 a.m.

Let's do this Cougars! Bring home that Championship!

• footballisgood Holladay, UT
    May 14, 2012 7:07 p.m.

Since we are naming high school programs, thought I would mention that Roundy, Lasike, and Forrester all played for Highland Rugby in High School

• runnerguy50 Virginia Beach, Va
    May 14, 2012 5:43 p.m.

BYU Rugby is in an elite class. There is a reason for the saying "rugby is the game played in heaven". For the life of me I do not understand why BYU TV stopped showing BYU club sports. BYU TV is seen around the world and is a great missionary tool. Too bad.