Sports

Ty Detmer will be enshrined to the College Football Hall of Fame

Comments

• golfrUte SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    May 15, 2012 4:01 p.m.

I'm a loyal Ute alum but I have to give credit where credit is due. Detmer was an amazing college QB. He had an uncanny ability to sense the rush from the blindside, elude tacklers and find the open receiver. I've never met Detmer, but from all I have heard and seen on TV, he seems like a class individual. Well deserved honor. Congratulations.

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    May 15, 2012 3:16 p.m.

Dear KamUte, was Utah part of that weak WAC schedule?

Just ignore Hedgehog, bitterness against BYU is his forte. Just look at all his comments and you will see 99% are putting down BYU.

• BleedsBlue Salt Lake City, UT
    May 15, 2012 12:43 p.m.

Hands down, my favorite Cougar to watch over the years. His cool head in the pocket and his ability to scramble and make things happen were great. Congratulations on an award well deserved!

• UtahBruin Saratoga Springs, UT
    May 15, 2012 12:09 p.m.

Very well deserved!!!!! I have never had the opportunity to meet him. But from what I have seen in interviews and appearances. He is a class individual. I enjoyed the time watching him play at BYU, he has a great football mind. From what I hear and it seems a few people who have posted here know Ty personally, it seems he is just as great of a person as he is a football player. Thank you for being an example to us all. You career and humbleness of the elite career it was is motivating. Thank you for the years! Congratulations Ty Detmer Elite Football Player and NCAA Hall of Fame Quarterback!!!!!

• morganh Orem, Utah
    May 15, 2012 10:33 a.m.

@Hedgehog, College maybe??? Detmer's 15,031 yards ranks him 3rd on the all-time college list in passing. He didn't have a great pro career but he is not the only prolific passer to struggle. Timmy Chang who is #1 on that list didn't pan out in the pros. Your comment shows a lack of respect for B.Y.U. and I am sure if Ty had chosen to play somewhere other than B.Y.U. your attitude would be a lot different. Congratulations Ty from a fan who bleeds Cougar blue!!

• patjan Flower Mound, TX
    May 15, 2012 8:34 a.m.

Ty won most BYU people's hearts during his playing years. It wasn't just football, it was his personality, service, politeness, and class. "Everyone's adopted son".

• Central Texan Buda, TX
    May 15, 2012 7:54 a.m.

It's fun for us to have the Detmer's here in the Austin area. Truly one of the best college QBs ever.

• Lone Star Cougar Plano, TX
    May 15, 2012 7:52 a.m.

Congratulations from one Texas boy to another.

• KamUte South Jordan, UT
    May 15, 2012 7:42 a.m.

Duck

Doesn't appear that Hall of fame amounts to wins and losses now. All against weak WAC schedules.

BYU was really good. BYU had great teams. Again, all of this is in the past. Glory days came and went with Lavell.

I personally like Ty Detmer as he made great reads and showed that skinny, non athletic guys can compete very well.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    May 15, 2012 6:34 a.m.

You have to admit, BYU has the greatest football legacy of any team in the immediate region. Oh it would be fun to relive some of those moments again. Oh wait, we have BYU tv to thank for that so we can watch some of those classics over and over.

Way to go Ty! Great day for BYU fans all around the world!

• Steven11421 AUSTIN, TX
    May 15, 2012 6:02 a.m.

Congratulations Ty - Well deserved. I do have to confess, I hope you don't get on the coaching staff as we enjoy you and your families contributions to the community and church.

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    May 14, 2012 11:16 p.m.

I was at the Miami game. Greatest performance I've ever seen from a college QB. Detmer was the best.

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    May 14, 2012 9:02 p.m.

That boy was flat out fun to watch. I remember watching him scramble during the Miami game. Congrats to him.

• Rocket Science Brigham City, UT
    May 14, 2012 7:37 p.m.

While he set many NCAA records at the time he played they did not count the post season yardage in as total yardage. That statistic was later changed to include all yardage including post season - Ty's yardage would have been even more impressive.

Ty should have been the 3rd Heisman Trophy winner with Young and McMahon before him.

Mainly due to size Ty did not have a tremendous amount of starts in the NFL. He was however considered to be extremely valuable to teams because of his knowledge of the game and ability to learn an opponents plays each week to play against the starting defense in practice.

How many years did Ty play in the NFL? I am not sure.

Aside from being a great athlete always a real gentleman and class act.

• eagle Provo, UT
    May 14, 2012 6:34 p.m.

He might have been the best college football player I've ever seen in person, right there with Marshall Faulk. Yes, he wasn't a great pro but a terrific college player and this honor is well deserved.

• 4601 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 14, 2012 4:18 p.m.

hedgehog; a spiny, short legged insectivore that rolls into a boll for defense. Evidently you are what you eat.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    May 14, 2012 3:58 p.m.

@Hedgehog,

College MAYBE?? What does a guy have to do to qualify in your book? You show your lack of knowledge and class.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    May 14, 2012 3:57 p.m.

@Oatmeal

From the article.

"Detmer will be the fifth Cougar quarterback in the Hall of Fame, along with Gifford Nielsen, Marc Wilson, Jim McMahon and Steve Young. Legendary coach LaVell Edwards and tight end Gordon Hudson are also in the Hall of Fame."

That's 7 Cougars. Not a ute to be seen there and none on the horizon.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    May 14, 2012 3:18 p.m.

Kudos for one of the best quarterbacks ever at BYU. His win against Miami in 1990 is still the most important win BYU has ever had (and against best competition). I would love to see him get hired on the coaching staff. He's at least as talented as anyone we have now.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    May 14, 2012 3:11 p.m.

College maybe. NFL no way.

• Anne26 West Jordan, UT
    May 14, 2012 3:10 p.m.

Hands down my favorite quarterback to come out of BYU! It couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Congrats!

• Oatmeal Woods Cross, UT
    May 14, 2012 3:07 p.m.

BYU's recognition by the Hall of Fame is in the article. I think Utah State has Merlin Olsen. Are there any other athletes or coaches connected with Utah universities in there?

Please note that this comment/question is for informational purposes, not based on any rivalry.

• Oatmeal Woods Cross, UT
    May 14, 2012 3:00 p.m.

A well-deserved honor for a great LDS athlete.