U.S. & World

Romney: Regular people teach him about struggles

Comments

• terra nova Park City, UT
    May 9, 2012 10:59 a.m.

Pride looking up is just as bad as pride looking down. Some of the comments left here seem to be of the "pride looking up" variety. Time to curb that behavior.

Romney may not be very warm and cuddly, he may have some trouble really getting a handle on the plight of those living within one standard deviation of the mean, but I think the campaign may have made him more aware of his disability and possibly, made him a bit more humble.

Hard to imagine that it has not. This political season has been a meat grinder. And you have to give him credit. The guy does not give up. He "stays the course." He has put himself in the spotlight and let it shine while the haters looked for any hint of impropriety. He has been consistent. And he just kept slugging away at it.

There is a lesson there for all of us.

He won't give up. Nor should we - as individuals or a country.

Romney is the best man for the job. I pray he will be blessed to do so with wisdom, equity and empathy. It will not be easy.

• LValfre CHICAGO, IL
    May 9, 2012 10:19 a.m.

Can't wait for Romney to lose the general election. He's the same as everyone else that's been stuck in the US political system for too long.

All these candidates are putting bandaid on cancer.

We need someone like Ron Paul who's going to chemo everything until it's dead and we can start a rebuild with principles.

• raybies Layton, UT
    May 9, 2012 7:24 a.m.

I'm glad Romney's reaching out to everybody he can. I, honestly, can't figure out why he'd bother. I'm a regular dude, and I think if I had his means, I'd divorce myself from humanity, rather than trying to be a leader of it. Kudos to Mitt for trying to make a difference, despite the naysayers and political slanderers.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    May 7, 2012 5:07 p.m.

Iaggie, prove that Mitt is a dishonest person. Don't accuse, give chapter and verse. Empty and untrue accusations don't add anything to the discussion. Everyone that I know that knows Mitt say he's honest to a fault.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    May 7, 2012 5:05 p.m.

I'm pretty sure that Romney has a very good idea of what us regular people are all about due to his being a Bishop. I for one wish that he would bring it up more since Bishops have to deal with all kinds of stuff be it spiritual, physical, mental, economic, marriage, etc all across the economic spectrum. I can see why he doesn't bring it up due to confidentiality, but I wish he'd at least mention it as being pertinant.

By the way, if he wants to meet with people off the record, that's totally fine with me.

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    May 7, 2012 6:48 a.m.

Romney seems to be doing his best to emphasize with the 'common man'. This said,

Unless a person has actually experienced the fear / the pain that comes with not being able to support a family or themselves due to lack of a job or jobless benefits or Social Security or food stamps .. when push comes to shove, they aren't as likely as they would be otherwise to go to bat for the poor vs other legitmate interests competing for those dollars.

Let me add .. were charity enough, federal programs for the poor, or out of wor, or the old would never have been implimented in the first place. Before food stamps, there were families including children in America who didn't have enough food, charity only went so far. We need to remember this when conservatives say the war on poverty has failed. Now there is no reason for any family to go hungry. If that isn't a major success in the war on poverty, I ask what is?

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    May 6, 2012 4:38 p.m.

re: EightOhOne 8:48 a.m. May 5, 2012

Don't you mean let them eat cake?

Is it just me or do Mitt's apologists on this site try to make Thurston Howell the 3rd (Romney) appear to be the Professor?

• 1aggie SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    May 5, 2012 9:00 p.m.

Let's face it folks... rich dishonest people ran the rails off the track in 2008, during the last Republican administration, almost bringing our society to an end. What spectacularly bad timing it is for Mitt, being a rich dishonest person himself, to be running (as a Republican!) against the guy who brought us back from the precipice. It's really just unfortunate bad timing for Mitt.

• wilson-kelly Vale, OR
    May 5, 2012 7:41 p.m.

REGULAR PEOPLE?? Seriously?
    Can you say condescending?
    I can't believe anyone is actually going along with Mitt.
    Oh, well, I won't disc you for your choice and don't you disc me for mine.
    Reminds me of fiddler on the roof...."If I Were A Rich Man"....
    "When your rich, they also think your wise!"
    Sorry, it just takes more than a few shekels to impress me.
    So glad he is impressed with the American Spirit.... Brace yourself, there is more coming!

• worf Mcallen, TX
    May 5, 2012 3:01 p.m.

Donating his inheritance away, than building up his own success is just awful. Shame on Mitt for being successful. It's no longer American to be prosperous, because others didn't make it.

• SLMG Murtoa Australia, Victoria
    May 5, 2012 2:24 p.m.

Exactly who are these "regular" people that Romney is meeting with in secret? Are they just people off the street or hand picked Republican supporters? For this article to have meaning we need to know who these people are and how they are chosen. I do not mean Identify the people personally by name but more information is needed as to their back ground and how they were chosen.

• travelrus murray, UT
    May 5, 2012 10:01 a.m.

Hey I'm a regular person, I would love to sit down with Romney and tell him what I think. He wouldn't even have to keep it a secret. Lets see where would I start. How about everyone should pay their fair share of taxes. A tax break on intrest and capital gains is not going to work out so much for me. I'm not so fond of the fact that the American Legislative Exchange Council is endorsing him, thats more like a curse. I think affordable health care is a civil right (single payer plan). I don't want a Presedent that would bust up businesses and sell them off to the highest bidder. Oh my so so many things I would like to tell him if only he would listen to a regular person like me.

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    May 5, 2012 9:40 a.m.

Regular folk? Hmmmm

So that explains Romney's brilliant suggestion the other day that young folk just borrow money from their parents.

I'm not sure these meetings with "regular" folks are doing him any good.

Romney's job at Bain was to create money for wealthy investors. If it was accomplished by laying off employees, leveraging up a business or moving a factory, so be it. They could still make money from the fees they charged even if the business folded.

But the main problem is Republican's economic policies of deregulation and tax cuts as the answer to everything.

• EightOhOne St. George, UT
    May 5, 2012 8:48 a.m.

for willard's sake, i hope they served him the kind of cookies rich guys eat, and not the cheap stuff from 7-11 us regular people buy

• Rob Logan, UT
    May 5, 2012 8:23 a.m.

Isn't that what both sides call us regular people? I like the fact that he doesn't parade people around to have to prove his point. The United States of America is like a big business. We need someone who can understand how to keep big businesses profitable. It is not by going more and more into debt. I think it is sad that we are saying people who have lots more money than I will probably ever see are evil or did something wrong. This is what has made people do anything they can to live in America. They had a chance to be successful. Let's not pit one American against another. That is so wrong. Let's celebrate what we have in common. We live in the best Country in the World. I love the USA.

• Rita52 ANN ARBOR, MI
    May 5, 2012 7:43 a.m.

@furry. I suppose the only thing that would make you happy about Romney spending time with possible constituents and actually listening, instead of turning every movement into a photo-op, would be for him to sell everything, give all the money away, and take his family to the projects to live. That may work for those who have dedicated their lives to following the Master on a full time basis, but is extremely impractical for someone who is running for President. Somehow, I don't see our current President taking himself out of the limelight long enough to sit down and listen to those who have no voice, out of camera's reach, in a low-key, low-pressure venue. Gov. Romney genuinely cares about people, his millions notwithstanding, and wants what's best for America and her people. He is doing, as best he can, the work the Master has set out for all of us, as are millions of others who work in anonymity for the good of our fellowmen.

• no fit in SG St.George, Utah
    May 5, 2012 7:43 a.m.

Another day of political confusion...
    Repubs tell voters there is absolutely no way President Obama can relate to what is going on in American society, thus he is the cause of the problems in our government, etc.
    However, if Mr. Romney says he speaks to "regular people" (in situations he will not disclose), we citizens are supposed to be little sponges and soak up Mitt's tall tales.
    Whoa!

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    May 5, 2012 7:40 a.m.

@ Furry. What we need in this country is more welfare, more food stamps, and free healthcare! We don’t need more jobs, more personal responsibility and more self reliance do we? And anyone who has worked hard, been responsible and made better choices in life should be punished by wealth redistribution, right? Anyone who is successful in their life just doesn’t understand the struggles of “ordinary” people do they? After all, we all know the reason people are poor in America is because the “rich” took away all their opportunities! Right on brother! Power to the people!

• Dixie Dan Saint George, UT
    May 5, 2012 7:35 a.m.

I wonder if Mitt tells the people why he was a strong supporter of abortion and legalizing gay marriage at one time? I would be interested to hear his rationale as he violated his own religion by taking this stand.

• cris Hamilton, IL
    May 5, 2012 7:22 a.m.

@Furry
    Just because someone has wealth, doesn't mean they don't understand the struggles. If I see a begger on the streets, I will help them. I am not a begger nor am I wealthy, but I have compassion for them. I can feel for people who are in different walks of life.

• Fern RL LAYTON, UT
    May 5, 2012 7:14 a.m.

Sometimes I think Romney understands a lot more about "the common man" (and woman) than the common person understands about living with a 6 digit (or more) annual family income. Even understanding how to run a business that makes more money than it spends is an attribute that could really come in handy in Washington.

There are probably even a lot of couples who together earn in the 6 digit figures for their household who still see themselves as part of the masses struggling to make ends meet. (I have a hard time understanding them, really.)

• AmPatriot Taylorsville, UT
    May 5, 2012 6:43 a.m.

Condescending is a good way to describe Romney and Obama and why neither one of them are what this country needs. They are not leaders and they have proven that with all the continuous flopping around with their ever evolving changes they keep making. Neither one has a plan and neither one knows what wrong with this country and continue to live and bask in each others lies. They do have one thing in common though, they both think government must be doting parents continuously patronizing the citizens of america as imbeciles.

If only I could have suffered the hardships and misfortunes in life this man suffered as a socialist on welfare. There was a time when you had to take a test and pass it to get in to college. Now these young just apply and the rest of their life think they are educated.

Romney doesn't know what hardships are as he had doting government to feed and house them and help raise their children while he could amass his fortunes thorough white collar crime and fakery. Hardships and poverty are something you live, hardship is no public welfare, wages, or 2nd hand stores or church handouts.

• LetsBeRational Spanish Fork, UT
    May 5, 2012 6:26 a.m.

Come on Furry1993, You are drinking Obama kool aid. Those two comments are taken out of context. If you were really honest, you would look at those comments in context and know that he said that the poor have a safety net that the middle class doesn't, and so he must work harder for middle class people. And the firing comment was in reference to people who do not perform. How were either of those comments condescending to regular people. If Romney were a "regular person" he would not have the skills to bring about the economic reforms that will help us regular people have jobs and greater prosperity. I want a chance to work--not have the government hand me a dole and tell me what medical care I can and cannot have. Obama may have BEEN a regular person, but he is not one now. All his policies have done is increase prices on the necessities of life--food, fuel, gasoline, etc. He is sinking us. Romney was way down on my list 6 months ago, but I'm totally behind him now.

• no fit in SG St.George, Utah
    May 5, 2012 1:15 a.m.

Ah, the regular people.
    How nice of him!

• WestGranger West Valley City, Utah
    May 5, 2012 1:12 a.m.

It is quite evident that a presidential candidate who is actively reaching out to understand regular people is not one who is out of touch. Yes, rich people are humans to. They can be understanding and genuinely want to help. Despite what the mainstream media would tell you, they can even be republicans.Obama has to mount a personal attack because he needs to distract voters away from his very poor record as presiden, Besides, it's not like Obama goes home to poverty. He and Michelle go on frequent posh and opulent vacations. Does that mean that he doesn't care or can't understand the poor?.

• Diligent Dave Logan, UT
    May 5, 2012 12:35 a.m.

I'd like him to meet with me. While I plan on voting for Romney in the fall for various reasons, this does not mean I agree with everything he advocates, nor that I disagree with him very strongly in some areas.

Romney is still, very much, a country club candidate. Whether is has, does, or doesn't even belong to a country club, those who know the type know what I'm talking about. His wife's $1000 blouse she wore the other morning on CBS' The Morning Show demonstrates an aspect of being out of touch with regular Americans (though Michelle Obama wears far more expensive stuff, and hardly receives the time of day from the media for it)!

Yes, we understand, Mitt and Anne, you've both done—not only well, but super duper well!

But what Mitt says and his attitude seem to greatly reflect a business landlord I had. He thought businesses renting from him were struggling because they hadn't done things right. My business neighbor, who just moved out of this landlord's complex, use to keep a year or more of capital on hand. No more! He's working elsewhere!

• no fit in SG St.George, Utah
    May 5, 2012 12:21 a.m.

The fact that Romney refers to all of us as "regular people" is quite telling.
    Poor, out of touch guy looks like he will never figure it out.

• Furry1993 Clearfield, UT
    May 4, 2012 10:39 p.m.

The difference, of course, is that Romney can hear about struggles and then go home to affluence and opulence. RR\egular people LIVE their struggles, and can't evade them. Romney is, once again, showing how condescending he is to regular people (as he said, he doesn't really care about the poor, and he LOVES to fire people). We don't need that.