Opinion

Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Could Love oust Matheson in Utah's new 4th District?

Comments

• davewhittle Springville, UT
    May 8, 2012 10:53 a.m.

I've long respected Jim Matheson, and when my family and I visited DC, his office was very helpful, giving us a great tour of the Capitol. There's a reason Utah keeps sending him back to DC even as a member of the minority party. Utahans are, above all, fair-minded and politically open minded.

That said, I hope Utahans vote for Mia Love. This year, party matters. Nationally, Democrats are now the party of unwed mothers, same sex marriage, abortion, disrespect for the rule of law, free contraception, and spend like there's no tomorrow.

This year, especially, the anti-LDS narratives (i.e. "racist church," male-dominated society) and anti-Republican narratives ("war on women," "party of racism") will be strong, raising their false and ugly heads again and again. Mia defies the narratives with class and simply by being elected will attract positive attention to Utah and our values. Thanks, Jim Matheson, for your many years of service, but this is the year I hope you can retire and enjoy those tremendous retirement benefits Congress enjoys.

Mia will simply be a great representative of Utah and Utah's values.

• crodier LAYTON, UT
    May 7, 2012 3:47 p.m.

Mia Love could definitely oust Matheson and breath new life into the tired GOP and the politics in Utah. Nothing against Matheson, I just think he has been their too long. It been 12 years, and 12 years is too much for anyone.

• Ellis_Seth Salt Lake City, UT
    May 7, 2012 10:02 a.m.

I see a lot of comments asking where Mia stands on issues. There is an easy way to find out: ASK HER.

I think you will find that she is extremely accessible. Just attend one of the events on her website. There will be plenty of chances before the election. I think you will find as I have that she is an honest person that can lead and bring people together. By bringing people together she can be an effective representative for all of us regardless of whether you are moderate, teaparty, or even Democrat.

• UtahBlitzz West Jordan, UT
    May 7, 2012 3:29 a.m.

"we are hearing the Love campaign is currently suffering from disorganization." - Frank Pignanelli

How does a "disorganized" campaign win over 70% of the votes at the convention against two very organized candidates (Wimmer and Sandstrom)? Methinks Pignanelli is (again) grasping at straws. I don't believe for one second that a campaign can dominate the vote so much and be "disorganized"; Love obviously has tremendous organization.

• RockOn Spanish Fork, UT
    May 6, 2012 10:31 p.m.

Nice job, guys. Good analysis. "Tea Party" seems about as relevant a label as "Hope and Change" -- people see the shell and fill in the blanks with whatever they want.

In truth Mia Love seems to be very solid in her rational approach -- we're broke so something has to go to balance the budget. That's as opposed to national Democrats who say, cut nothing but bring in more revenue from their defined "under-taxed." But, their numbers don't add up. Take everything away from the 1% and we're still in enormous debt.

So we'll see if Frank P. is right -- Love had better have a well-run, positive campaign. Matheson isn't the devil. He's a good guy with some liberal leanings. Mia Love is a good person too with conservative leanings.

Let a rational debate begin... for once.

• Bomar Roberts, ID
    May 6, 2012 9:01 p.m.

I don't buy the idea that most Utahans despise the "Tea Party". If I am not mistaken the Tea Party played a big part in retiring Bob Bennett. Go Mia, Go.

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    May 6, 2012 7:37 p.m.

Matheson is conservative and well mannered (as is his opponent). Nancy Pelosi is a conservative in many ways; she and Matheson both believe in family, faith, children and marriage. They both have lived beautiful lives. Say something positive about your enemies sometime. Don't believe everything you hear about them. Pelosi never ran for office until her many children were raised.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 6, 2012 5:46 p.m.

I don't like Matheson since he votes against everything important that I support, and Mayor Love seems decent for a Republican... but no way will I contribute to this insane Republican leadership potentially having the House, Senate, and White House.

• IdahoStranger NEWDALE, ID
    May 6, 2012 5:42 p.m.

@ Prodicus
    "We'd control the Senate if it weren't for O'Donnell, Angle, etc."

Correction: We'd control the Senate if it weren't for voter fraud and rigging the election computers.

• Prodicus Provo, UT
    May 6, 2012 3:12 p.m.

I'm Republican, but would hate to see the Legislature's gerrymandering tricks succeed in taking out Matheson. Matheson would probably flatten Stewart if he were running against him; Stewart seems to be a preposterously weak candidate with nothing to run on but Glenn Beck's backing.

Lots of the problems with our government are due to the disappearance of moderate Democrats under Pelosi's leadership. I'm no fan of Clinton, but a politician making the decisions he did (NAFTA, welfare reform, DADT, DOMA) would today be attacked by the left as a reactionary anti-labor social darwinist woman-hating homophobic bigot. I wish Blue Dogs like Matheson had more influence.

Love has said some things that sounded far to the right, but my impression is that she's more interested in facing reality and getting things done than many Tea Partiers. I fully agree with the principles the Tea Party folks claim to espouse, esp. limiting government to Constitutionally enumerated powers which can only be added to by amendment and not by legislative whim. But tea partiers' actions have generally been counterproductive. We'd control the Senate if it weren't for O'Donnell, Angle, etc.

• sherlock holmes Eastern, UT
    May 6, 2012 2:42 p.m.

It is not difficult to figure out what these two candidates will stand for. Here it is:

Less government
    Less spending
    Economic growth
    Balanced budget
    Reduce the deficit
    Adequate military
    Adequate social net

The issues will not decide this election, (do they ever?) though Matheson's voting record may become one.

How she performs on TV and how effective her campaign is will decide. It is her race to lose.

• EW HENRIETTA, NY
    May 6, 2012 1:25 p.m.

"Rational" Republicans can't participate in the Tea Party now, according to whom? All the Tea Party wants is accountability in Washington. It's a bad year to be an incumbent, something else unmentioned about Matheson.

• ljeppson Salt Lake City, UT
    May 6, 2012 1:03 p.m.

Ms Love, if elected is it your intention to eliminate in part or totally the senior safety net, i.e. social security and medicare?

• IdahoStranger NEWDALE, ID
    May 6, 2012 12:58 p.m.

Gildas
    LOGAN, UT

"Yes, but what do the candidates STAND for?
    What a waste of print; it seems that everything but the essential was touched on."

Exactly!

Once again I will suggest that the Deseret News perform a truly public service by listing the "in print" stands on each of the issues for each of the candidates to assist the voters.

I believe the real purpose of a campaign is to inform the voters. There are way too many polls and too much hearsay. Let's hear from the candidates on each issue, one issue at a time, and let each have their say. One issue, both candidates so we can compare.

Then hopefully, we will apply the "measuring stick" - our divinely inspired Constitution - to pick our candidate. After all, that is the oath of office that they will take.

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion;..."

Its about our Constitution - not about parties.

• Cato the Elder Salt Lake City, Utah
    May 6, 2012 12:18 p.m.

LaVar says Mia Love is not "right-wing". What? A simple check of her website shows that no one will out flank her on the right on the 15 issues she lists. I don't think the candidate would agree with LaVar's assessment. Either he hasn't done his homework or he is deliberately misleading the readers to portray her as more appealing to moderates.

• Dutch Bellingham, wa
    May 6, 2012 12:16 p.m.

Come on Utahans! Get rid of the Democrat.

• uthejazz Saratoga Springs, UT
    May 6, 2012 11:52 a.m.

the overall state of politics in this county is truly disheartening. today all it takes to get a voter excited is a fresh face, or a first timer, or an interesting background, or a well groomed person. no longer is a candidate judged on ideas, platforms, participation, performance, and so on... if utahns want to vote for the best candidate in this congressional race, imagine that both candidates are the same race, the same gender, have the same heritage, both are pleasing to the eye and dynamic speakers. That only leaves judging them on their knowledge of programs, solutions to real world issues, and how to move the United States of America back to relevance. that is our responsibility as voters. to bad we do not live in an ideal world.

• Owl Salt Lake City, UT
    May 6, 2012 11:24 a.m.

It's a difficult choice for moderates. Matheson has been a good representative, but Love has the potential to be a even greater leader and representative. The influence of outside groups will be a determining factor. If extremist elements get involved on either side it may be the negative deciding factor. Mayor Carroon was not served well by his negative campaign consultants.

• Gildas LOGAN, UT
    May 6, 2012 11:20 a.m.

Yes, but what do the candidates STAND for?

• If There is Anything Virtuous Salt Lake City, UT
    May 6, 2012 9:43 a.m.

When I first "met" Ms. Love at the GOP state convention I was blown away (i.e. when I heard her speak). She has more charisma in her pinky finger than most of us do in our entire personalities! She was phenomenal. If she can get organized (supposedly she is not, but I think that may be rhetoric), Matheson does not have a chance.

It's about time Utah was fully, 100% represented by the conservative principles the majority of us espouse. Go Mia!

• sherlock holmes Eastern, UT
    May 6, 2012 9:22 a.m.

Frank is way too optomistic on Matheson's chances in this one. He is very likeable and does well running against white male republicans. And in the past, it has been good to have a Dem because they were the part in power in the House. No longer.

THe playing field is now different. Even the Republican voters who would normally support Matheson can see the opportunity presented by Mia Love. Utahns could make a bold statement to the world. It is Mia's time.

• Roland Kayser Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 6, 2012 9:08 a.m.

I am a long time resident of the 2nd district and was happy to find that I am now in the 4th and still represented by Matheson. He is a realist and a pragmatist, which used to be the definition of conservative. That's why I like him.

• MGB Saint George, UT
    May 6, 2012 8:30 a.m.

"Love is now receiving all kinds of "love" from local and national tea party organizations. Initially a strength, this will be a real vulnerability for Love as these entities are despised by rational Utahns".

What is his definition of 'rational'? He says that in order to be a rational Utahn you have to despise the tea party organizations? Pignanelli is irrational if that is his definition of rational. That is a glittering generality without hard evidence.

• ER in AF Belgrade, Serbia
    May 6, 2012 7:53 a.m.

"Love is now receiving all kinds of "love" from local and national tea party organizations. Initially a strength, this will be a real vulnerability for Love as these entities are despised by rational Utahns."

My favorite statement by a DN writer. Ever.

As a rational Utahn, I can tell you the comment is correct. If Mayor Love goes with Tea Partying mentality I will certainly look to Congressman Matheson.

• Fitness Freak Salt Lake City, UT
    May 6, 2012 7:32 a.m.

Yes, Mia Love CAN and WILL defeat Matheson!

Matheson needs to start updating his resume!

• travelrus murray, UT
    May 6, 2012 7:12 a.m.

I want to know what Mia Love stands for. If she leans too far right thats not good, we don't need another Mike Lee obstructionist. We need someone working for Utah and everyone in America. I argee it would be great to have the first black woman, republican in congress from Utah but not if she doesn't know what she is doing.

• tenx Santa Clara, UT
    May 6, 2012 7:03 a.m.

I have always thought of Matheson as a moderate Democrat. But when Nancy cracked the whip on him recently I lost my appetite to vote for him again. He has been there long enough also. Retire Hatch, retire Matheson.

• Ex Pat Salt Lake City, Ut
    May 6, 2012 6:58 a.m.

Matheson for all the labals that he's a blue dog, is the one who waited until all the votes for health care were in, and he knew it was going to pass without his vote, then voted. However, he did vote for it in the long run. He has supported Obama all along, even when the administration went after Christians, with this ridiculous free contraception.
    We need a change and Mia Love will be a great representative for Utah.

• BrentBot Salt Lake City, UT
    May 6, 2012 4:22 a.m.

"real vulnerability for Love as (the Tea Party) is despised by rational Utahns" so says Mr. Pignanelli.

What makes you think reducing the national debt, managing the Federal Government with a budget, and adhering to the Constitution are "irrational"? It seems to me that Obama's plan to increase the debt astronomically, not use a budget, and subvert the Constituion are the heights of irrationality.

• Utah_1 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 6, 2012 12:23 a.m.

I have never been represented by Rep. Matheson. He is more liberal in his voting than most people realize.

I endorse Mia Love for the 4th Congressional District.

I have been watching and listening to her for some time. I have been impressed. She has consistently improved at each debate I have watched. The last one I saw, I scored her the best out of the 5 candidates. I have attended her town halls. She has listened. If she didn't know the answer, she would find out. We need more of that.

It is my hope that others will meet and listen to Mia and agree, and that she will be the 1st congressional representative from the new 4th Congressional District from Utah.