Utah

Utah candidate Mia Love drawing the attention of national media

Comments

• daver Provo, 00
    May 7, 2012 11:17 a.m.

Mia, you are a Godsend. Best wishes for your campaign!

• coltakashi Richland, WA
    May 7, 2012 2:35 a.m.

I understand Love is also a marathon runner and a mother of three, who put Saratoga Springs on a sound fiscal basis as mayor.
    She persuaded 70% of the delegates at the conventiin to vote for her, showing great judgment that she can defeat Matheson. I think she has a good shot at retiring Matheson.

I hope Romney flies her out for some photo ops soon. Her image with his will disrupt tons of lying anti-Mormon gossip in the ignorant news media.

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    May 6, 2012 10:43 a.m.

@ Cats 7:30 a.m. May 3, 2012

"As far as Jim Matheson being a Mormon and a Democrat....he is a marginal Mormon and a mediocre Democrat who tries to play at being a conservative to keep his seat."

I'm so glad that we have you a pious true believer such as yourself to clear up any misconceptions. Nah!! I 2nd what Counter Intelligence (9:41 a.m. May 3, 2012) said.

• IdahoStranger NEWDALE, ID
    May 5, 2012 9:25 a.m.

Travelrus says:

"Mia needs to tell us where she stands on policy before I can make up my mind. So far I haven't heard anything other than she's conservative."

From the Mia Love website, under Issues:

"Balancing the budget is only part of the solution. We must cut federal spending to begin to restore America’s economic strength and citizen liberties.

The federal government must be confined to the enumerated powers granted by the Constitution.

American society must return to valuing and rewarding hard work, independence and personal responsibility. Government dependency on entitlement programs and welfare is a failure.

Government does not create jobs, the private sector does. Government simply needs to get out of the way.

Equip our armed forces, and engage only when there is a defined national security objective and with the consent of Congress, not the United Nations.

Protect our borders and remove the magnets.

We must keep the promises made to our seniors to provide for their retirement while we move aggressively to more solvent alternatives.

The more socialized our health care becomes, the fewer choices people have."

Hopefully this will help you understand her policy.

You can search yourself.

• Mc West Jordan, UT
    May 4, 2012 8:18 a.m.

If Obama came to Utah to campaign for Matheson it would only help Mia Love!

This is it for Matheson.

Utah is anxious to show that we are in no way racist. We would gladly have voted for a black president if he was a conservative, constitution loving, small government, cut spending type of person. That is what Mia Love stands for. Being a black woman who can beat Matheson is just another plus.

I'm excited to cast my vote for Mia Love!

• btalk89 Provo, Utah, UT
    May 3, 2012 11:01 a.m.

Go Mia! She's the kind of no-nonsense leader that Washington desperately needs. You all can talk about race/gender/ideology all you want but she stands for more than that. She desperately wants to help this country and will make every effort to do so. She's different, but in a service-oriented way!

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    May 3, 2012 10:27 a.m.

Re: LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    "Jim Matheson is a Utah Mormon, and a Democrat."

There are a lot of Utah Mormons who are Democrats. Nothing unusual about that. I even know a Jack Mormon in Farmington who fits that description. Maybe Matheson will get lucky and get Obama to come to Utah and campaign for him. He is going to need all the help he can get.

• Janet Ontario, OR
    May 3, 2012 8:22 a.m.

@LDS Liberal: We don't use the term "colored" anymore. @Cats: "Marginal Mormon" is both judgmental and hard to define (reference to Huntsman intentional). These days, character and personality can be packaged on one hand and destroyed by media attacks on the other. Would that we could assess candidates' positions and make the best educated choices without ad hominem attacks.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    May 3, 2012 7:30 a.m.

Dear My2Cents: Ron Paul is not running for Congress in Utah--Mia Love is.

As far as Jim Matheson being a Mormon and a Democrat....he is a marginal Mormon and a mediocre Democrat who tries to play at being a conservative to keep his seat. I Hope Mia is elected and I wish I could vote for her. She'll be great in Washington and a great asset to our state.

• Jonathan Eddy Payson, UT
    May 3, 2012 7:08 a.m.

Mia Love has a handle on the Constitution. This is what make her platform so "novel".

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    May 3, 2012 5:58 a.m.

Re: LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    "Jim Matheson is a Utah Mormon, and a Democrat."

Mia Love's greatest asset going into this election campaign is the man currently sitting in the White House. Conservative Utahns are going to send Obama a message and unfortunately for Mr. Matheson he is going to be collateral damage.

• My2Cents Taylorsville, UT
    May 3, 2012 4:24 a.m.

Her only problem is she is a socialist republican proponent of welfare, that believes in oppression, repression of rights, and poverty in low paying jobs.

Republicans are bad for this economy, they do not believe in prosperity or the pursuit of happiness of the American working people, meaning the citizens of america. This is why she and Romney will finish the destruction of what the president and begun. They have no plans or means to offset a recession, they just plan to ride it out in hopes it will repair itself with the help of socialist governmnet intervention called welfare.

Ron Paul has been the only candidate with a plan of reconstruction and rebirth of the prosperity of the American dream of the working american. Every one condemns the president, but no one else has a plan of restoration.

• AlanSutton Salt Lake City, UT
    May 2, 2012 9:15 p.m.

She is the most exciting candidate to come along in decades.

I wish I were in her district.

• travelrus murray, UT
    May 2, 2012 8:43 p.m.

We need common sense, moderation and a willingness to work together to solve our problems. As long as Mia associates with the tea party I will have a hard time supporting her. The tea party and their social agenda are too extream. Mia needs to tell us where she stands on policy before I can make up my mind. So far I haven't heard anything other than she's conservative. What is her substance? I don't care if she will be the first black, republican, woman from Utah I want someone to do the job! If it is Mia great if not I will vote for Matheson.

• InspectorC Wasatch Front, UT
    May 2, 2012 5:34 p.m.

Rifleman @ 1:26 PM---

When "One Old Man" from Ogden said that Congresswoman Love... errrrr.. Mayor Love is a "novelty", I don't believe he was "dismissing her" AT ALL!!!! Quite to the contrary, I took it to mean he was ironically turning the A.G.'s tacky quotation into a **POSITIVE** characteristic (in her favor).

In other words, Shurtleff said it in a negative, demeaning way; but Ogden-Man turned the use of the "novelty" label into a beneficial, refreshing, uplifting and positive word, for HER benefit!!

Touche' Ogden Man!!!

Otherwise.... I concur totally with the remainder of Rifleman's statement!

I'm SO impressed with this woman. What a breath of fresh aire in the political arena!!

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    May 2, 2012 4:52 p.m.

Jim Matheson is a Utah Mormon, and a Democrat.

Which makes him even more of a minority than a colored, Utah Mormon, woman who is Republican.

Go Jim!

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    May 2, 2012 3:44 p.m.

Dear Mountanman, most likely not with open arms.

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    May 2, 2012 3:11 p.m.

How will the black caucus treat her?

• Leesha Kearns, UT
    May 2, 2012 2:04 p.m.

Mia Love offers Utah some real Hope and Change!! Let's go get Matheson!

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    May 2, 2012 1:53 p.m.

Matheson is toast. Should have stayed in the second district so that Stewart could beat him.

• Robroy Murray, utah
    May 2, 2012 1:41 p.m.

You go girl! Totally Awesome!

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    May 2, 2012 1:26 p.m.

Re: one old man Ogden, UT
    "She is a novelty?"

You may want to dismiss her but you can bet your very last dollar that Jim Matheson isn't looking at Mia Love as a novelty. She is a formidable opponent that will give him a real run for his money.

She is a woman, an African American, and she is a conservative Republican. As a bonus she has Obama sitting in the White House to remind Utah voters why we want her to represent us. It just doesn't get any better than that!!

• Mom of Six Northern Utah, UT
    May 2, 2012 1:19 p.m.

Right on....I hope you win...and win BIG!!!!

• Clarissa Layton, UT
    May 2, 2012 12:45 p.m.

I wish you were in my district. I would SO vote for you.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    May 2, 2012 12:34 p.m.

So Shirtliff was right? She is a novelty?

Golly.