Quantcast

Comments about ‘Utah Jazz: Coin toss may determine Golden State Warriors’ draft pick’

Return to article »

Published: Wednesday, April 25 2012 12:24 p.m. MDT

Comments
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Most recommended
RBN
Salt Lake City, UT

I thought that draft order was determined after the lottery. So, even if Golden State finishes, for example, 8th, if they landed in the top 7 of the lottery, the Jazz wouldn't get the pick. And similarly, GS could finish 6 but end up 8th in the lottery in which case the Jazz end up with the pick this year.

atl134
Salt Lake City, UT

@RBN
I don't think so because the Cavs and Jazz picks last year that they got from other teams probably were top 3 protected.

LindonMan
Lindon, UT

RBN is correct. The Golden State pick is determined after the lottery decides positioning. If Golden State is 1-7, then they keep the pick. If the ping-pong balls land Golden State 8,9, or 10, then the Jazz will receive the pick.

Mike W
Syracuse, UT

I'm also seeing varying ideas on what happens if say, the Warriors finish 8th and jump up higher in the lottery... if a pick is "top 7 protected" does that mean season ending order, or actual pick order?

Henry Drummond
San Jose, CA

@Mike W

If before the lottery itself, Golden State is at 8 through 14 we get the pick. If the lottery ping-pong balls go the right way we could parlay that in a No. 1 pick.

Its going to be a coin flip. We have a 50% chance of getting the #8 pick. I'm sure KOC is loading up on four leaf clovers and who knows what else.

Mark from Montana
Aurora, CO

I am pretty sure that RBN is correct. It is after the lottery that matters, not before. Once the ping-pong balls are bounced around, and the final order set, if Golden State is #8 or lower, the Jazz get the pick. If they are #7 or higher, they keep the pick.

Even if they end up at #6 after the season ends, if two lower teams get a lucky bounce and top 3 picks, pushing Golden State to a #8, the Jazz get the pick.

112 Pack
Spokane, WA

I was asking the same question. Whether it's order of finish; or the ping pong ball that determines who gets the pick. You would have thought they would have clarified that in the article. Hopefully, it's order of finish: for the Jazz's sake.

UJ47
FRUIT HEIGHTS, UT

let me clarify this up, so you guys understand, i did a report in high school on the nba draft and lottery so i understand it very well.

if gs wins tonight they currently would have the 8th pick, if they lose they would do a coin toss between gs and the nets or raptors, if gs wins they get the 7th pick, if they lose they get the 8th.

so now the lottery comes around, they have the 8th pick, but if they get a luck of the draw and land in the top 3 it is theirs, if they don't it is ours whether it be 8 9 10 11, depends on if 3 teams below golden state gets in the lottery, ya see only the top 3 is lottery dertermined, after that 4-14 is dertermined by record.

but if they end up going into the lottery with the 7th pick, they would get, unless at least one team below them jumps into the top 3, if that happens, they bump back to 8 9 10,

i keep explaining in the next post.

UJ47
FRUIT HEIGHTS, UT

breakdown of chances of keeping the pick

with a gs win tonight we have 97.2% chance of keeping the pick(that is 100% minus the 2.8% chance of them winning the lottery as an 8th pick)

with a gs loss tonight and coin flip win, we would have a 7.2% chance of keeping the pick(that is the percent that a team that is picking from 8-14 could jump into the top 3 , that is all their chances added up)

if they do lose tonight, going into the coin flip toss we would have 47.2% chance of keeping the pick(calculated that they would have a 50% chance of losing, then subtracting 2.8% chance of them winning lottery as an 8th pick, but if they lose we would tack on another 50% of getting the pick, but if they win we would take off 40% chance of getting the pick).

so the route of least resistance would just have gs win, then it would be gs lose, but also lose the coin toss, then it would be for gs to lose, win the coin toss, but have someone jump them from 8-14top3

UJ47
FRUIT HEIGHTS, UT

but to answer your question in simple terms, yes the lottery determines if we get the pick, and not their record in the regular season.

Geo guy
Layton, UT

I did a report in high school on the Civil War. Didn't make me an expert on that.

It is where the PICK is. Not how the teams finish at the end of the year. Where the picks are is determined by the lottery. The PICK is top 7 protected. So if the PICK is in the top 7 it is protected and the Warriors keep it. If it is not in the top 7, the Jazz get it.

Looks like the only thing the coin flip will do is give the Warriors more ping pong balls (if they win the flip) increasing their chances of being 1, 2, 3, or remaining at 7. Possibilities are their pick is 1, 2, 3, 7, 8, 9. 10, or 11. The greatest chance is that it is 7 or 8 depending on the outcomes of tonights games and the outcome of the coin flip. Have to wait for the lottery to see where the PICK is to see if it is protected.

UJ47
FRUIT HEIGHTS, UT

Okay, Geoguy first i didn't say i was an expert, i just said i understood it very well, second off, the civil war is far more expansive and more complex then the nba draft and the lottery, thus doing one report would not make anyone an expert on the civil war, but since the nba draft is much more simpler, one could become more of an expert on it then the civil war with one report, third unless you didn't read what i posted it basically says the samething as yours so you really don't need to attack me on saying i did a report in high school on the nba draft, and the lottery. The only reason i included that is because i was giving myself credibility so they could believe what i said, because a lot of people were confused on what conditions the jazz were able to get the pick this year.

Kakashi
Tokyo, Japan

let's just hope golden state wins...they are up by 1 at half time...if they win...we have a higher shot of keeping it...unless golden state sold their souls to the devil so they could go top 3

to comment

DeseretNews.com encourages a civil dialogue among its readers. We welcome your thoughtful comments.
About comments