Sports

Randy Hollis: One can hardly blame John L. Smith, but it is still wrong

Comments

• BYU/USU/JAZZ Wellsville, UT
    April 26, 2012 2:47 p.m.

Maybe Weber State can get him back next year. Yeah Right!!!!!!!!!!!! My question is why did they have only a $25,000 buy out in his contract?

• Cougar Passion Salt Lake City, UT
    April 25, 2012 12:02 p.m.

As I was reading this--actually, it happens whenever I see *anything* about John L. Smith--I was immediately reminded of "Groingate" involving USU vs Utah before it was mentioned in the article. I remember not being upset at that surprising USU win, until I heard how Chris Fuamatu Ma'afala couldn't play part of the game from being repeatedly punched there. Then, when John L. was confronted with it and shown clearly on tape his players doing just that, he said something like, "I don't see anything." A person like that has little in the way of morals, so nothing he does should surprise us.

By the way, BYU players also said Louisville under Smith tried the same tactics on them in the Liberty Bowl a few years ago.

• Provo4Life PROVO, UT
    April 25, 2012 11:06 a.m.

No Weber St fan here, but what John L Smith did was ridiculous! After making the statement he planed to retire at Weber St, firing old staff and bringing in new and recruiting players to play for his system, he leaves. Not only that he contacted Arkansas! Where was his head, season is 3 1/2 months away. Now he left a team high and dry with no head coach and a new system to learn with little time. All this for a chance at what? $850,000 I guess was just to much to keep your integrity. He won't become the head coach, it's just a 10 month stint and then they want a big name. And as for his name it is now synonymous with "runaway".

• Scott1 Quiet Neighborhood, UT
    April 25, 2012 10:09 a.m.

Anyone believing a coach would bring a national championship to Weber St. probably deserves to be jilted.

Coaches frequently get shabby treatment with quick firings, so I say what comes around goes around. Unfortunately, the almighty dollar rules and almost all people under the same circumstances would have done the same thing.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    April 25, 2012 9:12 a.m.

I don't get it. Arkansas fires a coach for hiring his mistress, but hires someone who was just signed by another team. Double standard?

Is there any honesty in this?

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    April 25, 2012 8:02 a.m.

This would be a good job for Bronco. He would get a lot of walk-on players and would never be bothered again by 4 star recruits with loads of talent.

• bgl Santa Monica, CA
    April 25, 2012 7:30 a.m.

Please explain==if the author claims that this is an awful thing for Coach Smith to do to WSU, but it is--at the same time, "totally understandable," why write the article?