U.S. & World

Writer suggests Democrats — not Mitt Romney — have a Mormon problem

Conservatives say the media has a Mormon problem instead

• owlmaster2 Kaysville, UT
    April 26, 2012 10:00 a.m.

Why is Hatch bringing up any Mormon problem??? Hatch is trying to stir the pot. It's Hatch with the problem, in his attempt to stir emotion against Democrats.
    This is a Hatch problem, not a Democrat problem.

Hatch declared in his first campaign against Frank Moss that 18 years was too long and after 18 years a politician was out of touch with his constituents. With that declaration Hatch won 36 years ago. Who's out of touch now Hatch????

Hatch is attempting to create a hostility between Mormons and Democrats. How pathetic is that????

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    April 26, 2012 7:06 a.m.

I'm not saying you can't be a good LDS member and a democrat. I am saying that being a democrat and being liberal are two different things. I highly doubt President Faust was as liberal as some democrats make him out to be.

Again, I invite you to read the talk.
    But there are some indicators in there that oppose some liberal beliefs.

I’ve read the talk, many many times – as well as most of his others – He was very Liberal.

But even more recent….
    Have you read Pres. Dieter F. Uchtdorf’s talk about “Canned Peaches”, or “You are my Hands”, or “We are All on the Same Team”? – Ya, all Liberal concepts and teachings.

You see, you – like so many other Utah Mormons – don’t know the definition of the word “Liberal”. Look it up in an English dictionary, and quit using the AM radio’s twisted version of it.

You will find that the ancient prophets, New Testament, Nephites, U.S. Founding Fathers, and early LDS members….dare I say even God himself, is extremely Liberal.

But you have to use the proper definitions to know what I’m talking about.

• Kith Huntington Beach, CA
    April 26, 2012 1:50 a.m.

atl134, that is exactly why Europe's economy is in the tank.

• On the other hand Spanish Fork, UT
    April 25, 2012 1:23 p.m.

@Riverton Cougar, many, many Utah Democrats are not Democrats as [some] people today think of Democrats. I invite you to read the Utah County Democrats' platform; I think you will find it consistent with Elder Faust's talk.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 25, 2012 1:18 p.m.

@Riverton Cougar
    "I'm not saying you can't be a good LDS member and a democrat."

No but you're strongly suggesting you can't be a good LDS member and a liberal, which would surprise many European LDS members considering liberals in the US are moderates over there.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 25, 2012 1:13 p.m.

@Counter Intelligence
    "Does that mean Jews, gays, Catholics, women, blacks, and minorities, crying foul should also be summarily discounted as having a thin skin?"

I find that whenever any of them do that conservatives tend to tell them to get over it. See: any article about gay marriage, pay disparities, disproportionate incarceration lengths...

• Max Charlotte, NC
    April 25, 2012 3:45 a.m.

I was always hoping Harry Reid would speak up at some point. It is amazing to me that the media almost never mentions that Harry is LDS. It appears that they do not want people to know this because it will reduce their ammunition against Mitt if people also know that the Democratic Senate Majority Leader share the same religion as the Republican presidential nominee.

I am still hopeful that Harry will do the right thing in the fall when the church is under fire by his democratic colleagues.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    April 24, 2012 11:34 p.m.

LDS Liberal,

Again, could you please provide dates for when Faust was the President of the Utah Democratic Party? And then, after doing so, tell me with a straight face that the party is the same now as it was then. I'm not saying you can't be a good LDS member and a democrat. I am saying that being a democrat and being liberal are two different things. If I changed party affiliation and nothing else, I would be a democrat. However, I would still be conservative. I highly doubt President Faust was as liberal as some democrats make him out to be.

Again, I invite you to read the talk. It's not a political talk, and I'm sure any LDS member would enjoy it. But there are some indicators in there that oppose some liberal beliefs.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    April 24, 2012 9:04 p.m.

Riverton Cougar
    Riverton, UT
    "Pres. Heber J. Grant and Pres. James E. Faust must be rolling over in their graves right now…."

LDS Liberal,

As for James E. Faust,....

President of the Utah Democratic Party
    [You know, THE #1 Democrat from the State - and LDS Apostle - and LDS 1st Presidency.

Believe it or not,
    You CAN be a good LDS member and a Democrat, Socialist, Communist, Non-American...
    no matter what Elder Ezra T. Benson said.

• Wildcat O-town, UT
    April 24, 2012 6:58 p.m.

Joe Moe,

Thank you for providing some sanity. This I hate all things liberal or all things conservative approach has to go. It is what is ruining this country. Personally, I would like to see the two party system go so people would really have to consider a candidate's stance on all issues, and so corporations or big money wouldn't have a hold on the political process, it would be up to the people. Of course there would have to be term limits and campaign finance reform, but thanks to the Supreme Court the Corporations, PACs, and billionaires have the control now.

Riverton Cougar,

Let me respectfully point out that you may not have known Faust's political stances unless he directly told you. Let me ask you, where are the Eisenhowers or Teddy Roosevelts of the GOP today? I don't think Reagan would make it through a primary today. Most of the GOP is far-rightening today.

Most LDS are overseas and don't care about Republican/Democratic ideology. Really, I don't care to be like most Mormons. I want to follow the values of the Gospel as I understand them and follow my heart.

• janean Huppi HAWTHORNE, NV
    April 24, 2012 3:45 p.m.

I am proud to be both a Democrat and a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Please remember that Senator Reid is also a member of the Democratic party and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints as are many others.

• eagle Provo, UT
    April 24, 2012 3:28 p.m.

Not all, but a good deal of Democrats, don't like religious people period. They wouldn't vote for Santorum either based on his religious views. What Mitt Romney needs to worry about is getting the evangelicals, which normally turn out well and vote Republican, to vote for him in November. Focusing on getting the votes of San Francisco liberal atheists isn't the winning formula for Romney.

• no fit in SG St.George, Utah
    April 24, 2012 2:23 p.m.

Joe Moe,

Many, many women won't be voting for Mitt Romney and it is not because of polygamy.

• Bored to the point of THIS! Ogden, UT
    April 24, 2012 1:48 p.m.

Romney's a Mormon?

I thought he was a Republican?

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    April 24, 2012 11:57 a.m.

LDS Liberal,

When was Heber J. Grant alive? Were politics different then? As for James E. Faust, I invite you to read his talk called "Serving the Lord and Resisting the Devil" in the September 1995 Ensign. He was not a Democrat as people today think of Democrats, and he certainly wasn't liberal. He was more like a Republican in his ideologies. It's not simply black and white with liberal/conservative, nor are all repubs/dems strictly one or the other (as Joe Moe points out), but most LDS believe the right is more often correct.

• John20000 Cedar Hills, UT
    April 24, 2012 11:05 a.m.

I think most people think Mormons are weird until they get to know some. Then they say stuff like "when I found out you were Mormon, I was surprised. You are so normal."

As for Obama, Obama's leadership, policies, and attitudes don't sit well with me; especially his anti-capitalism leanings, deficit spending increases, increased borrowing, naive foreign policy campaigns, and the fact that he seems to be playing strategic games instead of having his decisions based more on morals and deep standards. His speeches come across as condescending like I am a child being lectured to by a parent. That may work with a certain "please take care of me" crowd, but for the "ask not what your country can do for you" crowd, it is a turn-off. I guess we will find out which crowd gets more voters to show up.

• Joe Moe Logan, UT
    April 24, 2012 10:54 a.m.

Hawkyo says: "LDS Lib, you have a very skewed view of reality. your very name is oxymoronic."

As an LDS conservative, I whole-heartedly disagree Hawkyo. There are components of the liberal agenda that are praiseworthy, other components that are defensible (even if I personally disagree with them), and then there are those components that are totally wrong-headed.

Wow, sounds kind of like the conservative agenda, when I stop to think about it. I say I am "conservative" not because I agree with all things "conservative," but because on balance that philosophy appears to me to be more correct more often.

"Liberal" and "conservative" are huge categories, embracing many things (fiscal, social, cultural, etc.). If anyone thinks that one is perfect and the other atrocious, they are not looking very close, or thinking very hard. And they are doing themselves and everyone else a disservice.

• Hemlock Salt Lake City, UT
    April 24, 2012 10:18 a.m.

Tempted to play anti-Mormonism? It's an article of faith for the Dems. Publicizing and acting indignant about Romney's theology or his great grandfather's marriage practices while smiling about the extra-marital affairs of Bill Clinton and John Edwards and ignoring Rev. Jeremiah Wright is the ultimate act of hypocrisy.

• Hawkyo SYRACUSE, UT
    April 24, 2012 10:14 a.m.

LDS Lib, you have a very skewed view of reality. your very name is oxymoronic.

• Joe Moe Logan, UT
    April 24, 2012 9:53 a.m.

"(Women are) not great fans of polygamy, 86 percent were not great fans of polygamy," Schweitzer said. "I am not alleging by any stretch that Romney is a polygamist and approves of (the) polygamy lifestyle, but his father was born into (a) polygamy commune in Mexico."

I find it so obnoxious when political commentators pretend to be predicting how the public will respond to certain tidbits; when in fact, they are trying to CREATE that response, by throwing the information out there without being willing to own it themselves.

In other words, because it would be absurd and self-destructive to say, "I don't think women should vote for Romney because his dad was born in a polygamy commune in Mexico," they dare not say it but instead say things like, "Women won't be comfortable with the fact that Romney's dad was born in polygamy commune in Mexico" (I don't even know if that's true, and I don't care). Thus they achieve their goal of originating the propaganda without being willing to own up to it themselves. It is intellectual cowardice.

Politicians of all stripes use this technique. Watch for it, don't get manipulated.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    April 24, 2012 9:44 a.m.

• Ross Madison, AL
    April 24, 2012 9:42 a.m.

Romney is so different from any candidate who has ever run for president in my over 60 years of voting. Typical electioneering tricks will not work this time, the Dems will have to find the restraint that seems so unnatural to them or they will find they have become victims of the largest landslide victory in US history.

• JM Lehi, UT
    April 24, 2012 9:30 a.m.

I appreciate the effort to reduce bigotry in his party. The Democrats have repeatedly claimed they will not smear based on religion, but the left has been attacking the Church of Jesus Christ for quite a while (especially gay activists, even before prop8). I’m not saying Obama controls everything done by Democrats, but if the same sort of mocking, profaning, etc were directed towards Muslims, or others, Obama would speak out against it.
    I’ve been paying attention to the numbers of hateful or misinforming anti-Mormon articles, comments, etc, and liberals are doing far more of it than Conservatives. The NY times ran four anti-Mormon articles in one day.
    They might not realize that when they stoop to mocking, or lying about the religion of another, then it shows that they have little to offer to improve the world.
    Obama has his pastors also, but he also has the likes of O’Donnell, Maher etc etc. Liberal anti-Mormonism generally works through the media, and liberal activists are among the most vocal and hateful people when it comes to Mormon bashing.

• Utes Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    April 24, 2012 9:15 a.m.

"Wo is me..another Mormon story and how they are so persecuted. I swear..Mormon's oddly seem to WANT to be persecuted. They love wallowing in it...it is so strange."

Mormons don't claim to be persecuted today. They just don't like non-truths being told about them.

Critics cry "PERSECUTION COMPLEX!" when Mormons justifiably correct their spins on Mormonism.

We Latter-Day Saints can take criticism far more than our critics and those who hate us. Just don't expect us to not make corrections to things we think misrepresent us and out

• JP Chandler, AZ
    April 24, 2012 7:55 a.m.

Hang on--Romney's an albino zombie?

• tenx Santa Clara, UT
    April 24, 2012 7:46 a.m.

Then it tracks that Lawrence O'Donnell must be a Democrat. I love the snarl on his face when he talks about us. Cute!

• elarue NEW YORK, NY
    April 24, 2012 7:37 a.m.

They're not going to throw Mormonism at Mitt Romney. They're going to throw his record at Bain Capital at him. When most voters are aware that he was responsible for Bain Capital buying up companies, shipping their jobs overseas, and in the end, bankrupting those companies, hurting thousands of middle class families, they're going to want to make sure he never becomes President.

Remember, it was Romney himself who shied away from talking about his faith and focused on his business record. There was plenty of discomfort from the right about the church, but he still managed to pull off the nomination because the anti-Romney crowd couldn't coalesce around a single candidate.

Liberals overall don't care about religion, but they do care about religious zealots trying to infringe on their values, and I'm not just talking about stuff like Prop 8 - I'm talking about the numbers of Christian Conservatives who are anti-union, anti-environment, anti-Medicare, etc, etc, even when there's nothing specific in their doctrines against those things. You give me a Mormon Dennis Kucinich, and liberals will love him all the same.

• Liberal Ted Salt Lake City, UT
    April 24, 2012 7:10 a.m.

The only things obama has on Mitt Romney. He has to attack his religious clothing, the founder of the religion, and that Mitt was successful and became wealthy. If that is all of the horrible things Mitt has done, then Mitt is our new president.

obama on the other hand, has 4years of policy making that is on the books and a record he has to defend and speak for. Which most of the nation is not happy at all with his policies and the direction of the nation.

Just compare the two and it's obvious who the the better choice is.

• Midwest Mom Soldiers Grove, WI
    April 24, 2012 6:55 a.m.

I live in "the mission field," and virtually no one is talking about Romney's personal beliefs. Utah media needs to stop promoting, dare I say encouraging, this bias. Although I know that a lot of newspapers could be sold by re-igniting the old persecution complex, people are a lot more tolerant of religious differences than this article would suggest. In fact, such prejudice is more likely to come from the far right, than the left. As for Romney's fitness for office, his religious affiliation is only significant to me in the ways that he does not hold to his own standards. Romney's speeches in Wisconsin were full of inaccuracies and downright misrepresentations. Integrity is more about acting in good faith than it is about the practice of personal faith.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    April 24, 2012 6:29 a.m.

Funny, I seem to have a problem with 'Brother' Harry Reid's politics.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    April 24, 2012 4:41 a.m.

The Obama campaign will not attack the LDS Church or Romney's Mormonism. Their surrogates like Lawrence O'Donnell will. Just get used to it. They have to do it because they have nothing else.

• Swedish reader Stockholm, Sweden
    April 24, 2012 12:47 a.m.

Everyone should be judged by his or her own actions, not by those of their relatives, ancestors, ethnic group,or other members of their faith. The very nature of prejudice is to pre-judge someone by thinking that if they belong to a certain religion, or party, or ethnic group (or any grouping at all), they must have the same characteristics as other members of that group. (And when there is prejudice, there is usually also a more or less capricious definition of what those characteristics are.) The only way to get the right person for the job of President is to see that person him- or herself, rather than their ancestors, other people in their church, etc.

• sjgf South Jordan, UT
    April 24, 2012 12:41 a.m.

"Let's remember that President Obama has had so many things hurled at him — birth certificate questions..."

And when the questions were hurled at him, he dodged them, and the main stream media helped him dodge them. I've seen the birth certificate that he finally put on his web site. I've seen the obvious alterations that indicate that it is a fraud. Yet the main stream media just tells everyone that it is authentic, so most people believe it without ever looking at it. Sheeple.

The question will not go away for many of us just because many reporters keep telling us to believe the party line.

• Eugene2 Bear Lake, ID
    April 23, 2012 10:52 p.m.

Almost anything media writers pen is to bring attention to themselves and promote bogus issues that sell newspapers, attract viewers or gain additional "visits" or "likes".

Americans have got to be brain dead to not vote for Mitt Romney! Another 4 years of this current president will destroy the nation and bankrupt the country.

For the sake of patriotism, vote Romney 2012!! (And hopefully add Rubio to the ticket!)

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    April 23, 2012 10:44 p.m.

I do not care where Obama or Romney came from, I believe that they are both very thoughtful and caring people. However, I do not feel that Obama can run a country and deal with world issues and the economy. I think that he will make a great public speaker and can make more money at that, and Romney can fix the mess that Obama magnified when he inherited some of Bush's final dumb things that he did.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    April 23, 2012 10:27 p.m.

"Others were quick to point out that Romney's great-grandfather was the last in his family to practice polygamy, while President Barack Obama's father was a polygamist."

Facts. They can be so bothersome during the election.

• Caprice PROVIDENCE, UT
    April 23, 2012 9:43 p.m.

What I know is what Mitt and Ann Romney have done. They are the very antithesis of the media's aloof creation. Aside from their great generosity in alsmgiving, they have given of themselves, always. They care! They relate to you and me. They are as real as real gets, and those who have been touched by a personal experience can attest to who they truly are. Many individuals and families have experienced their empathy and caring love through anonymous acts of kindness. Further, their private lives are more like yours and mine than you might imagine. They do for themselves and their family what you and I do for ours; they do not live the life that many might expect.

For the Right Reason - Committed!

Mitt and Ann Romney's commitment to this country is heartfelt and self-evident in a sacrifice most of us would be unwilling to make, given their station in life. Amid their comfort, they and their family have chosen the greater good and set aside personal interest and greater ease to serve. They live above the fray.

• Wildcat O-town, UT
    April 23, 2012 8:35 p.m.

I think many people missed the point that LDS liberal was trying to make. The ideology that in order to be a good Mormon you have to be Republican is some folklore that is still passed around today, not by any official leadership, but by the overzealous members who try and steady the arc when the Lord's annointed leaders falter. I am liberal and LDS, but I would not try and sanctify my views and say people are less for thinking otherwise.

Democrats do not bring up religion. They prefer the clear separation between Church and State. When candidates feel like they have to advertise their holiness, it tends to scare most people off, but many of the GOP tries to inject this to look more holy (like the Pharisees): Perry having a religion rally, Huckabee being well Huckabee, W. saying he was picked by God, etc.

There will be a few oddballs like O'Donnell and Maher who seemingly have an axe to grind with the LDS religion that try and inject it into the debate, but it will not be picked up and advanced or discussed at all. Let it go D-News!

• The_Kaiser Holladay, UT
    April 23, 2012 8:29 p.m.

Romney's Mormonism should be irrelevant.

Besides, he has plenty of flaws otherwise to be usurped by the counter party. Far, far, far too many flaws.

Its already too easy.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 23, 2012 7:54 p.m.

I think a lot of it is that democrats score better when asked about willingness to be voting for catholics jews women blacks hispanics gays muslims and atheists. Republicans score better with mormons and old people. Notice how each party is more willing to vote for demographics that tend to lean their way. 4 years ago Democrats were more wiling to vote for mormons though, I have to think Prop 8 is responsible for flipping it.

• Pragmatic Salt Lake City, UT
    April 23, 2012 6:42 p.m.

Wo is me..another Mormon story and how they are so persecuted. I swear..Mormon's oddly seem to WANT to be persecuted. They love wallowing in it...it is so strange. My prediction is that Obama will not TOUCH Romney's religeon. It wouldn't be good for them. And Democrats have a much more "live and let live" view than Republicans do.

April 23, 2012 6:39 p.m.

Great points. I've noticed the liberal media's focus on the fringe or periphery of LDS beliefs, to make them seem extra strange or uncomfortable. They're certainly not going to write anything that would be unifying or reassuring in general election season! Breitbart has up a similar article to this.

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    April 23, 2012 6:18 p.m.

More evidence of the looney left fight against Mormonism ......choose you this day whom you will serve.....god or satan? Nice job Mormon Libs......voting forobama is like voting for 1960 USSR,

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    April 23, 2012 6:14 p.m.

"18 percent of Republicans saying they would not be willing to vote for a Mormon as opposed to 27 percent of Democrats."

I keep seeing this stat over and over.

So, does it say that Dems are more anti-Mormon than the GOP?

I doubt it.

The LDS in general, are extremely religious people. Religion is central to many (most?) faithful LDS. I believe more so then those of other faiths.

I believe that Dems in general are less likely to vote for those that they believe to be deeply religious regardless of the religion.

But, I could be wrong.

2nd point.

I sincerely doubt that the Obama campaign, ie those working for the campaign will touch the Mormon thing. Others will, just like some on the right did during the GOP primary.

But, do not confuse ever left leaning journalist or pundit as part of the campaign.

There are those on the left and those on the right that say crazy things. That does not make them representative of either group, and it does not elevate them to candidate or party spokesperson.

• Clark Griswold Cedar City, UT
    April 23, 2012 6:03 p.m.

Many of my tribe are fundamentalist Christian, and to them, "Mormon" might as well be "Satanist." I know that's not the truth about Mormons, but it's a real perception, that's really out there, and mostly found within the core base of the Republican Party. The main thing working in Romney's favor here is that many of those people, like many Mormons, would vote for a bag of rocks if it had an (R) after its name. And many of them are still convinced Obama is a Muslim, who are even more terrifying than Mormons.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    April 23, 2012 5:59 p.m.

Mormons have a thin skin problem.

• Eddie Syracuse, UT
    April 23, 2012 5:46 p.m.

@LDS Liberal,

How about Democrats who put Party Politics WITH Anti-Mormon antics?

• coltakashi Richland, WA
    April 23, 2012 5:24 p.m.

Barack Hussein Obama is too vulnerable himself on issues of "weirdness", religion and polygamy, for him to tolerate making it an issue in the campaign. Look at the whole "dog" thing! People who never had a large dog are clueless about how much dogs love to catch the air stream in a moving vehicle. But Obama wrote in his biography that his stepfather in Indonesia fed him dog meat and promised to get him some tiger meat--so he would have been eating an endangered species!

Obama's Muslim father and Muslim stepfather, and attending elementary school for several years in Indonesia, certainly raises questions about the religious tenor of his upbringing. Even apart from Jeremiah Wright, Obama does not want to make discussion of his own relgious heritage a topic of conversation.

Obama especially does not want to have people comparing the polygamy of his own father, BHO Sr, against the polygamy a century ago of Romney's great grandfather.

Obama cannot afford to look like a bigot by not condemning attacks on Mormons.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    April 23, 2012 5:12 p.m.

Yes some Democrats have a Mormon problem and some of it is understandable.

Look people; all Mormons aren't bad, all Republicans aren't bad, all Democrats aren't bad, and all Muslims aren't bad ect...

No religion, corporation, government, or group of any kind taps the market of perfection. They are all imperfect human organizations of one kind or another. Skip the Wiki definition and the vernacular, and just see people as a constant roller coaster of influx.

• non believer PARK CITY, UT
    April 23, 2012 5:05 p.m.

Obama's religious status is still part of the conversation with conservatives! So why does Romney and Mormonism deserve any special hands off treatment? I have already seen and heard several comments that Obama hates Christian's! When he is a Christian and so is Romney! If you are running for President of the United States, all is fair game!

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    April 23, 2012 4:59 p.m.

Do Democrats have a Mormon problem? - article

Uh, no I don't.
    I do have a few problems with my fellow Mormons.

Mostly those who put Party Politics ahead of their Mormonism.

• On the other hand Spanish Fork, UT
    April 23, 2012 4:54 p.m.

If Democrats have issues with Mormonism, they ought to take them to Harry Reid before they take them to Mitt Romney.

• kishkumen American Fork, UT
    April 23, 2012 4:42 p.m.

I think the Prop 8 issue still impacts some liberals' view of Mormons (since 50% of the money backing the proposition came from members of the LDS church).