Utah

Praying for rain: Sustainable strategies deliver water, hope to East Africa

How one man's faith is helping end famine with help from LDS Church

Comments

• TheAtheist SLC, UT
    April 19, 2012 4:49 p.m.

This article is silly. Two hands working can do more than 1000s of hands clasped in prayer. If you really want to see a change, make it happen. Put forth the effort to see change. Your will is only limited by your hands ability to accomplish them.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 18, 2012 12:41 p.m.

Re: The Atheist Provo, UT

The non-believer views the known universe through a telescope, expounds on his knowledge, and proclaims that there is not God .... and is satisfied.

• The Atheist Provo, UT
    April 17, 2012 6:24 p.m.

Don't you just love how demeaning and insulting "Christians" are when speaking about non-believers?

And then you wonder why we find no value in your beliefs?

Go figure.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 17, 2012 6:20 a.m.

Re: Red Corvette SACRAMENTO, CA
    "I know of no atheists who pray to god when they are dying. That is just another myth."

The gnat surveys the world from it's home on the tail of the elephant and expounds on it's knowledge of the universe. The gnat proclaims that there is no God ..... and is satisfied.

• Twin Lights Louisville, KY
    April 16, 2012 12:50 p.m.

A Scientist,

I am no scientist. But I have friends who are and who still value their religious faith.

There is no need to toss science in order to embrace religion or vice versa.

Red Corvette,

Prayer is neither superstitious nor ignorant. Though it may be passive itself, it often leads to strong action.

As to education and action. I believe in and recommend both.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 15, 2012 6:05 p.m.

Re: Red Corvette SACRAMENTO, CA
    "Prayer = superstition = ignorance. PASSIVE"

It is interesting how many people who distain religion chose to ask God to save them when they are facing death. Probably why the saying "There are no atheists in foxholes" became so popular in WWII.

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    April 15, 2012 3:57 p.m.

@ Heart and Mind

I don't disagree. But, to me, that means that 1) God doesn't exist or 2) God is within as any Gnostic knows.

• Heart and Mind BUENA VISTA, VA
    April 15, 2012 1:45 p.m.

As an engineer and analyst with a doctorate I have seen too much evidence that God is there. Some scientists refuse to look for the evidence. I pray but I also take action like buying the water purification bottles sold at the LDS Distribution centers. As a wise person said, "Pray as if everything depends on God; and work like everything depends on you."

• Tekakaromatagi Dammam, Saudi Arabia
    April 15, 2012 7:59 a.m.

Yes, when fasting and praying for rain fails, just call in the scientists. God's way of answering a prayer. Not exactly like they were expecting, but an answer to prayer nevertheless. (I can say that because I am a scientist.)

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    April 15, 2012 7:52 a.m.

The first two comments are brilliant. And one wonders why the US finds itself in the situation that we do today.

• A Scientist Provo, UT
    April 14, 2012 7:09 p.m.

When fasting, praying, and having faith for rain fails, just call in the scientists.