Dick Harmon: Upgrades to Marriott Center may impact students the most

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    April 16, 2012 5:42 p.m.

"WCC is more expensive for travel than the Mtn. West."

Huh? No it isn't. Plane ticketsw to the Bay area can be had for less than $100.00, same for tickets to SoCal. Portland and Seattle are fairly inexpensive flights as well. It cost much more to fly to Albuqurue, Ft. Worth, Laramie by way of Denver and then driving, or just plain driving their, than any of thoe WCC destinations. Going to Vegas is fairly cheap and San Diego is reasonable. At worst it is a wash, certainly not more expensive because the WCC destinations are much easier to get to.

April 16, 2012 3:26 p.m.

"It's decisions like this that make me question the reason BYU went independent in football. So how does basketball decisions relate to football independent you might ask? WCC is more expensive for travel than the Mtn. West. So bottom line BYU just moved down some more rungs on the ladder when it comes to being a good representation of the church they supposedly represent."

I disagree with the stadium renovations however football is far more watched than basketball and brings in far more money.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    April 15, 2012 5:15 p.m.

The students will be just as loud and rowdy on the west side as they were on the north side. It won't make any difference at all. And as I said before, once the current crop has graduated the new batch won't know any different and it won't matter.

If I'm not mistaken you have now sworn off attending both basketball and football games. Pity.

• CordonBleu Park City, UT
    April 15, 2012 3:58 p.m.

I don't have a problem with BYU maximizing revenue from football and basketball because it's revenue from those sports that funds all of the non-revenue sports.

It is a bit of a bummer for the students being placed behind the baskets, but the location is not nearly as bad as some describe it.

I do get tired of the "old people" and class warfare jealousy of some critics. Many Cougar Club members are not rich and although some of them are no longer youngsters, that doesn't mean they aren't just as loyal and enthusiastic about BYU sports as the most avid students.

• CWEB Orem, UT
    April 15, 2012 9:27 a.m.

I think Tom Holmoe, and the rest of the Cougar elite, should take off their suits and remember what it was like to be a student. Because the almighty dollar has taken the thrill out of the game! Moving the students, who are the only real reason there IS a team, away from the team, is one of the worst moves the school could make. Yeah, let's make more "blue" seats like they have at Edward's Field, and have the whole rich people section disappear from half-time to the 3rd quarter, and when the going gets tough? Who is left to watch the game? The students, because the wealthy have other things to do and they don't cheer, they make no noise, and they flock out of the stadium. Now reward them with more seats? Better seats? Shameful. I'm done buying tickets. I love the Cougars, but I'll have to just watch on TV from now on. I can't enjoy seeing the students paying the price every time there is a change. I don't see Holmoe giving up his seat.

• Couga Provo, UT
    April 14, 2012 6:52 p.m.

To all you students (and parents of students who are still cramming into the student section) who have "won" all these basketball games, if you would have just yelled a little louder, or had some more witty signs against Loyola Marymount maybe the Cougs would have won that game, and maybe then Tom Holmoe would have let you keep your premium seats. You only have yourselves to blame.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    April 14, 2012 6:27 p.m.

Having sat uncomfortably through many, many games I am glad this is finally happening. The MC is definately uncomfortable, expcially for tall guys like me (6'3"). As far as moving the students is concerned, well it is what it is, they'll get over it and within a couple of years it will be a whole new batch that will never know the difference.

• deseret pete robertson, Wy
    April 14, 2012 4:49 p.m.

I guess we will just have to grin and bear it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Hunt Spanish Fork, UT
    April 14, 2012 3:53 p.m.

Moving the student section is simply a horribly bad idea that the pencil pushers and money grubbers love. Enough said.

• BYUSU Wellsville, UT
    April 14, 2012 1:48 p.m.

As mentioned in the article BYU should take note of Utah State's seating. Having the student section mid-court has helped win alot of ball games. Then you look at St Mary's (Calif.) gym and wonder how they have the great teams they do in their cracker box of a gym.
    Also does someone know what the rules are for sitting in a empty seat in the reserved section when the person with the ticket for that seat doesn't show up?

• Uncle Rico Provo, UT
    April 14, 2012 1:47 p.m.

Re: Brave Sir Robin

Love your comment about Kitty Litter.

• byu_num_1 Salt Lake, UT
    April 14, 2012 1:43 p.m.

How about even more changes to the MC.

The Marriott Center has got to be one of the most uncomfortable places to watch a game.

Why not remove all the benches and put in seats? Widen the hallway. Takes forever to get out of a game, or walk around during halftime.

They ever considered putting in suites in the arena?

Should be able to make some better upgrades with all that ESPN money.

April 14, 2012 1:07 p.m.

As a student at BYU many years ago my friends and I would make fun of the lack of involvement of the non-student sections of both the football and basketball venues. It seemed like at most they would make a little noise, but seldom move.

Unfortunately, I suspect opposing teams will be very happy about this change! It will be interesting to see if the Marriott Center becomes easier to play in for opposing teams as many of us believe?

• Gary Kinney Huntington Beach, CA
    April 14, 2012 11:48 a.m.

Having lived away from Provo for 30+ years and watching probably every basketball game broadcast from the MC I can agree with those students who have been swept to the side for the almighty dollar. That is all it is, pure and simple and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. To the administration: "Whatever happened to loyalty? You ask it of your staudents but don't want to give it in return. Loyalty should run both ways, however you are showing how keeping up with other institutions is more important than your own fan support. Remember, it is those rabid courtside fans who give you such an advantage when teams eneter the MC. Let's hope they don't turn on you and go silent. Don't think the latecomers and the empty seats seen at most games will give you that advantage. BYU ticket holders for years have been notorious for not being vocal enough and helping their teams. Let's see what this change gets them. Good luck Cougs. Too bad loyalty does not matter to the BYU administration. Sad day for the students!

• eagle Provo, UT
    April 14, 2012 11:39 a.m.

I thought the university was for the students...Oh well.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 14, 2012 10:33 a.m.

Good for BYU on finally addressing the uncomfortable seats of the Marriott Center ... my Coug fan friends have often enjoyed bragging about the large stadiums in Provo but as someone who's 6'4" I can't stand how someone's knees are always in my back and my knees are in the back of the person in front of me.
    I can tell you that Rice Eccles and the Huntsman Center are far more comfortable ... yes, even back in the days when the HC was full - might as well beat the hypersensitive people to the punch. Nice, comfortable stadiums beat cramming everyone into a barn any day of the week.

• Don't Feed the Trolls Salt Lake City, UT
    April 14, 2012 10:29 a.m.

I'd have sympathy for the students if they didn't hold up signs like "Ainge built, Jimmer remodeled."

If you don't know any more about the history of the program than that (it was open for 6 years before Ainge arrived), you are just a transient.

• hoost Walnut Creek, CA
    April 14, 2012 9:42 a.m.

"This move will open up more premium seating and the plan is to make the bowl area more consistently filled."

What a joke. More consistently filled with people who show up 30 minutes late and don't ever stand up or yell. The home court advantage is going to be reduced dramatically. Unsafe bench seats? Gimme a break. If it aint broke, don't fix it.

• BigRich Orem, UT
    April 14, 2012 8:53 a.m.

Being six feet four inches in height, I loved watching the team but hated being cramped with my knees poking four inches into the back of the person in front of me. Now I watch at home in comfort. Looks like the seats will widen, but unless they do something major to increase the leg room, what's the point? You'll still jammed like a sardine into the person in front of you. And watch for tickets prices to take a big hike now that there will be more chair seating. The thirst for money is obvious with the amount of commercialism thrown at us during each game. Instead of continuing the momentum through noise and cheers, we are bombarded every time out with with a series of stupid commercials. Pretty soon we'll hear, "this injury is timeout is brought to you by Intermountain Health," and three people will be racing for layups on crutches. We already have the wheel chair competition.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    April 14, 2012 8:26 a.m.

I don't have a strong opinion on this, but one thing is certain. It is mostly about money, not students. Football and basketball no longer are about students. That's a concept of a prior age.

• Riddles in the Dark Olympus Cove, Utah
    April 14, 2012 7:48 a.m.

Having been a student who camped out for tickets in Section 24 EVERY GAME during the Danny Ainge era, I can understand the frustration some students will have with this decision. On the other hand, there are alumni, like me, who are just as loyal and just as enthusiastic about BYU as any student. Having had five children attend BYU, I've been able to sit/stand in the student section with my children for many games. With the student section moving to the West end behind the basket, I'll miss that experience of watching games from courtside, but I understand why BYU is doing this. The cardstunt section at LES was a similarly great experience, but times change.

• RonBergundy SANDY, UT
    April 14, 2012 7:03 a.m.

Ha honestly who cares? Many many students aren't there to watch the game but are for just a social event. So who cares if the view is worse? People that pay the money are usually there for the game.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    April 14, 2012 6:35 a.m.

Get rid of all those burnt yellow seats all together! Put in all blue seats with white BYU seats everywhere. Yeah those big money people don't cheer like they are suppose to do. Keep those students down near the prime area of this great MC.

• RockOn Spanish Fork, UT
    April 14, 2012 12:20 a.m.

Last comment from me on this (sighs of relief)... I've given up my season tickets to BYU football because it has become such a crass commercialized effort. "That 1st down was brought to you by ...." and the delay of games from TV. It's lost so much of the great pace of college football. Now this in basketball and we're soon to hear "and that 3 pointer was brought to you by..." Who gets this money? Certainly not the students who are the entertainers. (yes, yes, they get scholarships, but the disparity is too great.)

• trueblue87 Provo, UT
    April 13, 2012 11:48 p.m.

Not a student but may as well be since just about every game I attend I'm in the student section. I love the intensity of sitting on the North side benches. They say it is in the name of safety. I wonder how many people have been seriously injured. It's usually so packed that if you do stumble there are at least 2 people to catch you. There will still be an intensity from the students if they are moved to the west side, but definitely diminished. I agree that this sounds like a case of the all mighty dollar playing a role in these moves. With the loss of nearly 2000 seats I wonder where most of those seats are going to come from. More likely from the student section. People are going to start camping out even sooner outside the Marriott Center because there will be fewer available seats for the students. Not happy about this.

• fresh.air OREM, UT
    April 13, 2012 11:45 p.m.

I have been writing BYU for years that they need to replace every seat in that building with a blue one. I guess this will be a start to that change.

• Calbrode Vernal, Ut
    April 13, 2012 11:09 p.m.

• Mom of Five Orem, UT
    April 13, 2012 11:05 p.m.

I'm a BYU graduate from 20 years ago, and I have to say I see both sides of this issue. When we go to the game, we usually have nosebleed seats, and we yell and cheer like crazy. We also pay quite a bit more for those seats than the students do for their prime seats. We would probably go to more games (thus spending more money) if we could get better seats--both comfort and position wise. We used to have season football tickets, but now just my husband goes, as I find the LES seats too uncomfortable for that length of time. If I could get comfortable seating with a back, I'd probably go to lots more BYU sporting events. That's just life with a bad back.

• RockOn Spanish Fork, UT
    April 13, 2012 10:08 p.m.

Not a student. Was one when MC was built. Don't like this move at all. Another school that pushes the students back so they can squeeze some more dollars in with older folks who, like me, do NOT rise and shout. Take a look at the student section at tip off -- packed. Look at the chair seats -- half empty. Taking the students away from the floor is antithetical to the purpose of the University. Put the students nearest the floor and the rest of us elsewhere.

I am disgusted by this move.

April 13, 2012 9:50 p.m.

Being a student at BYU this feels like a slap in the face. I have attended countless games in support of the BYU Basketball team and now we are being moved to the worst view in the arena. It doesn't take extensive research to see what the BYU administration is doing. They are making way for the all mighty dollar. The student body at sporting events as always been a low priority for BYU sports, and the one sport that had a great student atmosphere is now getting the ax. Thanks Tom Holmoe for forgetting who really keeps college sports special.

• Rob of NV Las Vegas, NV
    April 13, 2012 6:53 p.m.

This is a bad change. I have not attended a BYU basketball game in years. That being said, when I was a student having the student section at the center of the court was where most of the enthusiasm and cheering was coming from. Like the student quoted said, the "paying" fans seldomly if ever show the enthusiasm of the student section. I doubt that in football the students would be relegated to the end zone seating, but perhaps that is next. Is the almighty dollar so important, that students who attend the university are given a second-class status? The administration's rhetoric about researching other schools, etc. is just trying to put a positive spin on a slap at the student body. Just the other day, Harmon wrote an article about how grateful Dave Rose was for the fans and increased support. This took Cleveland and Rose many years to build back up. If I remember correctly, Cleveland began with the students to restore interest and fan support for basketball. A shame to see their hard work destroyed in one press conference. The administration should pad the existing chairs on the southside and leave the students alone.

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    April 13, 2012 5:16 p.m.

A few students will be upset, at first, but the seating change will soon be forgotten. Students used to be able to walk up to Cougar Stadium just before game time and get in just by showing their student ID. The student section in LES also once included all of the East side seating below concourse that is now reserved for BYU's fat cat donors.

Times change. Padded, blue chair seats replacing the bench seating below concourse will be a welcome addition. The students will adjust to their new seating just fine.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    April 13, 2012 4:48 p.m.

Will the upgrades include installation of plexiglass walls so BYU fans can't litter their own court with garbage?