U.S. & World

Ann Romney tweets retort after Dem adviser says Romney 'never worked a day in her life'

Comments

• lqqk pocatello, ID
    April 13, 2012 4:27 p.m.

As far as a silver spoon, shall we compare them to the Kennedys? How about Jackie?

• RedShirt USS Enterprise, UT
    April 13, 2012 1:17 p.m.

To "LDS Liberal" you did say that it was ok to say mean things to you wife as long as everybody else did too. You said:

"What’s the Big deal?

My wife (a stay home mom) gets told this all the time,
    by the "working outside of the home" Sisters in our ward."

You made it quite clear that it isn't a big deal (no problem) as long as everybody else was doing it also. Saying that stay at home moms don't work is not ok for a non-Member Democrat, the same as it is not ok for anybody else to say the same thing.

There is no hypocrisy in what was done. Hilary Rosen said something that should have irked every stay at home mom in the US, and around the world.

Too bad for those countries that have to pay mothers to stay home with their small children. In the US stay at home moms love their family enough that they don't require the government to pay them to stay home and raise their kids. (In Sweden the liberals are trying to eliminate this benefit because they think women should be employed.)

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    April 13, 2012 11:33 a.m.

RedShirt – I said nothing of the sort.

I never would say such a thing because it isn’t true.
    Stay at home moms work harder than those who don’t.

I said – Why is it OK for Utah Mormon “sisters” who work outside of the home to say this very same sort of thing at Church to the Stay at home Moms – but it’s not OK for a non-Member Democrat to say it?

The Double-Standard hypocrisy is what I’m pointing out.

Ann Romney should not be accused of something this outlandish from a Democrat OR a “good” Latter-Day Saint.

[FYI – In Socialist countries where people are the happiest [Sweden, Norway, Denmark, etc.] Mothers are PAID to stay at home with their children. They discovered and recognize that a Society as a whole is best when a Mother stays at home and raise her own children, than it is for that same Society to pay for the all the Social ills of children dropped off at a daycare businesses. People Factories they call them.

• Getting it Right Sunnyvale, CA
    April 13, 2012 10:06 a.m.

@cpafred
    @Furry1993

Even if you're Romney's friend or personal acquaintance, you have no idea.

• RedShirt USS Enterprise, UT
    April 13, 2012 9:39 a.m.

To "LDS Liberal" you try it, you go home and tell you wife that she hasn't had to work while staying at home with your kids.

According to what you are saying is that I can say anything that is rude or demeaning to your wife as long as "everybody else is doing it". Since when is something ok just because others are doing it also?

• Gramajane OAKLEY, ID
    April 13, 2012 6:22 a.m.

A few corrections to Bro S. ( though more corrections still needed)
    "1. Romney's positions are the most radically anti-women of any candidate in a generation: He supports banning all abortions,
    (not true - allowed if mothers life in immenent danger or if rape or incest)
    "backed a so-called "personhood" amendment that could make certain forms of birth control illegal, "
    ( like partial birth abortion - where a baby is killed just as it is born!!
    "and says he would "get rid of" federal funding for Planned Parenthood that provides preventive services like cancer screenings for millions of women."
    ( I understand PP does not do cancer screenings. )
    --- I'm not saying all must vote for Mitt but how about
    " the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth"
    when discussing any candidate?

• awsomeron Waianae, HI
    April 13, 2012 1:27 a.m.

When people are that far off Track it is jest best not to pay attention to them. The less attention that they get the better.

• awsomeron Waianae, HI
    April 13, 2012 1:25 a.m.

If being a Mother is Not Working I do Not know what is. If a Mother works outside the home it means that she just has 2 jobs. Evan though I have taken care of the kids through all theses years, they still go to her when she comes home. She likes and wants it that way.

Many Women have the choice to stay home, and have chosen not to. Many do not have a choice, they either did not Merry Well or something happened that they did not expect.

Greed and Not living within your means is also a major Factor. In homes where both parents work the parents are often inactive or less active. Evan with two jobs Tithing is the 1st thing to go by the way side. Then the Calling and then the Going to Church. This attitude is of course passed on to the kids who often use the issue of Church to divide and Concur.

If you work different shifts in order to raise the kids, not pay for Day Care etc, the couple will lose each other. The divorce rate is huge among separate shift workers. Mom at home is best.

• NeilT Clearfield, UT
    April 12, 2012 9:29 p.m.

I have no doubt Ann Romney is a wonderful mother and fine person. The issue is she has never had to worry about how to pay for braces or back to school clothes or anything like that. I have no doubt a lot of working mothers would love to stay home and be a full time mom. Unfortunately many jobs don't provide enough income to provide for all the needs of a family. I am single and I barely survive paycheck to paycheck. I marvel at those who can provide for a family on a teachers salary. I don't know how they do it. There is an income inequality in this country. I am not a liberal or socialist. I just want to see beter wages for low income and middle class workers. It does appear that the rich are getting richer and the poor poorer. The question is when do the rich have enough? We need to do more for those who are struggling financially. There are some among the upper class who appear to despise the poor and needy.

• Furry1993 Clearfield, UT
    April 12, 2012 8:53 p.m.

To David Kig, 10:46 a.m.

The problem, David, is that Mitt Romney pushed Ann Romney into the political spotlight when he said she was his advisor on women's issues. If he hadn't done that . . . if she were just willing to be a political wife and play the traditional "political wife" role . . . I would agree with the comment that she should be left alone. BUT when she allows herself to be named an advisor, she becomes fair game for comment and criticism. Let's face it -- she does not have the experience of wondering whether to buy food or pay the rent, or wodering how she could earn enough money to support her children. She hasn't had to live with the need to make the heart-wrenching choices the majority of women and families do. She has never had to walk the walk. She's not qualified to advise concerning now the majority of women live and think. She (and Mitt) are out of touch with the majority of the people in the United States. They aren't what the country needs in the White House.

• Gordon Wilson SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    April 12, 2012 8:03 p.m.

Wow! Women in our country have really evolved to this lamentable point, i.e., that women such as Hilary Rosen no longer regard the formidable work of raising honorable, upstanding children as a noble calling or virtue--or even as work! Without great women who raise children to be contributing members of society, we'd be in a world of hurt. Oh, I almost forgot, we are in a world of hurt. I wonder why? Could it be that day care centers aren't quite measuring up to the quality work mothers used to do? A village can't raise a child as well as a great mother.

• JSB Sugar City, ID
    April 12, 2012 6:34 p.m.

The comment made by Ms. Rosen reveals clearly the contrast between family value conservatives and liberals. Liberal contempt for women who choose to forgo professional careers to raise children is usually unwritten and unspoken but often implied. Ms. Rosen slipped up and said how most liberals really feel.

For those that say Mrs. Romney has never struggled, they are out of touch. Everyone struggles, whatever their wealth or status. It's a fact of life. Nobody escapes pain, sorrow, grief; espcially people who choose to raise children. Even Rose Kennedy struggled.

• cpafred SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    April 12, 2012 6:27 p.m.

Re:Pavlova
    Neither Ann nor Mitt worked while attending college. They lived off income from selling stock George Romney gifted Mitt on his birthdays. Ann and Mitt also purchased a home in Boston while attending Harvard using money from George. I wouldn't exactly say they made their way on their own. Mitt and Ann had a lot of advantages growing up but it seems like they pretend otherwise.

• Bubble SLC, UT
    April 12, 2012 4:26 p.m.

@jmho

"Do you think the people running for office in this country came out of the slums? The class warfare has to stop."

what an interesting statement. In light of this statement who do you think started and has been aggressively waging class warfare?

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    April 12, 2012 4:24 p.m.

atl134,
    the BO camapaing is only telling Rosen to shut it because of the negative backlash.

VocalLocal,
    see Pavalova's comments about when the Romney's did struggle. Don't let your envy of their ability to overcome their struggles bite you too hard. (nor your disdain for stay-at-home moms)

As for their ability to connect with the poor - what do think he did as stake president? he was responsible for the spiritual and temporal welfare of all (not just LDS) within his stake. you don't think he viewed each with compassion and a desire to help and uplift? do think NONE of her church responsibilities involved helping others and dealing with the less fortunate? get a clue before you jump on the class-warfare bandwagon.

• williary Kearns, UT
    April 12, 2012 4:15 p.m.

The comment was not presented in the best manner, but that doesn’t change the fact that it’s accurate. This election will be a great test to see if Mitt Romney can actually lower himself to the level of ordinary Americans. He’s lived the priviledged life, and lets it be known at times when he’s actually being himself on the campaign trail. With the way Republicans have taken the last 3 years to fight vigorously for the continued growth of wealth for the rich, while the middle class falls further and further behind, it will be interesting to see Mitt try and transform himself from the Tea Party, Fiscal Hawk, Social Conservative he morphed into the last 8 months, back into the moderate candidate he truly is, and will certainly try to be again in the General.

• mecr Bountiful, UT
    April 12, 2012 4:00 p.m.

Being a mom is one of the hardest jobs ever, of course, if you want to do a good job. Of course there are some mothers who really shouldn't be called mothers and others that should be called heroes,but from this working mom, working as a manager was piece of cake in comparison with being a mom at home.

I read once not all men can be a sucessful pastor or politician without a good wife. Ms Romney is a wife for both roles.

I am still upset after reading being a mom is not a real job. For crying out loud.....

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    April 12, 2012 3:59 p.m.

What’s the Big deal?

My wife (a stay home mom) gets told this all the time,
    by the "working outside of the home" Sisters in our ward.
    or
    Is it just suddenly not OK or only becomes an issue when it's a non-Mormon Democrat saying it about a Romney?

• VocalLocal Salt Lake, UT
    April 12, 2012 3:56 p.m.

I think regardless of the work Ann Romney may have done in her home, which I'm sure was considerable, the fact of the matter she is the wife of a multi-millionair and unlikely to be very in touch with the difficulties of average Americans. That I think is the point the CNN commentator was trying to make though she chose a poor way of saying it.

• RedShirt USS Enterprise, UT
    April 12, 2012 3:50 p.m.

The ironic thing is the fact that with the Obama campaign, and many liberals, is that they claim to fight for women's rights, yet mock a woman who stays home to raise her kids.

Mitt Romney would like the US to have the financial freedom to allow women to choose to work or stay at home. As some women have pointed out already, they have not had the choice to stay home or not because of personal economic issues.

• Chris from Rose Park PROVO, UT
    April 12, 2012 2:56 p.m.

I find it interesting that the topic of whether or not Romney can relate to us keeps coming up. I don't know that he has struggled to put food on the table but I don't think Obama has either. Both candidates come from successful families and to me that is appealing. To me, honest success is a great thing. I don't think success means you can't relate to others.

I think it's great Ann could stay home. I was raised in a single parent home. We were poor. I used my paper route money to help pay bills, not every month, but often enough. I am about to graduate college and I still help my mom with bills. We made it through because of family and community support, not because of government run programs (some were good, like subsidized school lunches). I saw government programs had a harder time focusing on individuals than other organizations. For this reason, I support shifting the burden of service away from government and towards community organizations.

Mainly, I am thankful to live in a nation where we choose together how we wish to be governed.

• Lane Myer Salt Lake City, UT
    April 12, 2012 2:15 p.m.

Please people. This is a very shallow reporting of this issue. Read what Hillary Rosen said before you jump to conclusions.

By the way, Hillary Rosen IS a mother of twins. She knows how hard a mother works.

There is also a follow up blog today that she wrote explaining exactly what she meant.

Do not take this as the whole story. There is more...

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 12, 2012 1:47 p.m.

@wildfan
    "Look, it's pretty obvious what happened here. Obama's campaign used a "surrogate" for this comment to try to widen the gap between Romney and women voters, and they come out publicly against it"

That's not obvious at all, Axelrod and other top Obama surrogates/campaign officials criticized Rosen's comment.

• Pavalova Surfers Paradise, AU
    April 12, 2012 1:46 p.m.

Hey chuck, let us all know when your wife puches a clock to stop taking care of kids at 2am. Btw, Ann and Mitt were living in a $62 a month apt in provo while going to school after marriage. They lived the life of poor college students, just as there are students today. Nothing was handed to them. (See an interview done in 1994 for reference)

There are so many false comments from people who suggest because the Romney's are wealthy now, they must have lived a life of luxury for the past 40 years. Let's all get a clue and quit commenting on people's lives when we don't have the facts to support it.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    April 12, 2012 1:34 p.m.

This is typical of the left's constant disparagement of women who choose to be homemakers and raise children. Rosen did finally apologize, but only because she was forced to. The Obama Campaign used her as a surrogate and it crashed. Now, they have to back peddle like crazy.

Some women have to work, but many professional types work because they want to and because it is easier to go out to work every day rather than take care of children. I spent many years in Washington, D.C. and found that most women there cared more about their professions than they did their children. I knew one woman lobbyist who was about to deliver her third child. I told her I was sorry that she couldn't stay home with her kids. Her reply was, "Oh, I couldn't stand to stay home with them. I'd much rather be working."

Rosen is one of those "Washington types" who see no value in the work of mothers--so typical of the far left. They even make fun of the title "homemaker." It's sad.

• no fit in SG St.George, Utah
    April 12, 2012 1:33 p.m.

Wondering how Ms. Romney can relate to a woman who also has five children, but who doesn't have a husband bringing home $19,000 a day?
    Can she relate to the woman who will do what ever job she can find that provides the health insurance for her family? Can she relate to a husband who has been downsized and can work, but now works for employers who pay him much less and do not provide benefits? Can she relate to the woman who has contracted the same health issues she has, but now can no longer work?
    Can she relate to the family who because of these problems can no longer afford their home and living expenses?
    Just wondering.

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    April 12, 2012 1:11 p.m.

this whole controversy just shows the disdain dems, including female dems, have for motherhood and the positive influence moms can and should have on their children.

• iron&clay RIVERTON, UT
    April 12, 2012 1:10 p.m.

When you look in the dictionary under the word for wife: n. 1.Queen, having eminence or supremecy in a given domain and personified as a woman. In chess, it is the most powerful piece. 2.Priestess to husband.

Remember, Ann is the one who told her husband to "go fix the country". Most women just tell their husbands to "go fix the plumbing".

• Just a Mom Vernal, UT
    April 12, 2012 1:04 p.m.

I have raised 9 children of my own, and helped raise 4 step-children. Part of the time I've been able to be at home with the kids, but much of the past 25 years I've had to work. Some of my jobs have been ones I didn't like, such as a motel maid, but I did that because I could take my kids with me. We worked together for 5 years until I was able to get a job at the school as a teacher's aide. Better job, with benefits, and I was where my children were. I would have preferred to be a stay-at-home mom always, but even with my husband's job, it was not possible financially. I do not resent Ann Romney for being able to be a stay-at-home mother. I'm happy for her. Each mother and family has a different set of circumstances, and we shouldn't criticize each other for the choices we have to make...to work, or to not work...but instead give each other all the support we can. I'll never be rich, but my greatest treasures call me "Mom".

• JWB Kaysville, UT
    April 12, 2012 12:52 p.m.

One other note. I think of this reporter's treatment of Mrs. Romney like the Utah Legislature looks at Utah's Public School Teachers. The legislature treats the dedicated and most highly valued public teaching profession as low class citizens. Most of these teachers do what Mrs. Romney does plus being a school teacher. These Utah teachers are stake presidents, bishops, leaders in Boy Scouts, Young Women, teachers and advisers, etc. and are not just low class citizens. The values these teachers bring to the classroom are the highest. The reporter was wrong and since she is not apologetic in her behavior, attitude nor profession, that shows you how much value she has on human character and high moral issues.

• Jeanie b. Orem, UT
    April 12, 2012 12:52 p.m.

Bro. Schroeder "All she did was raise her kids. Not punched a time clock"

There were so many days when I was a stay at home mom of 5 that I wished I could have clocked out at the end of each day - and I wasn't struggling with difficult, life threatening health issues.

Truthseeker - yes it is harder on women to do both jobs at the same time, but that does not exclude Ann Romney from having legitimate opinions on the subject. To use the same logic your opinions would be excluded automatically if you happened to be a working male.

All of us struggle in this life. No one is exempt. To think the wealthy are somehow an exception is incorrect.

• JWB Kaysville, UT
    April 12, 2012 12:46 p.m.

Ann Romney has been the wife of a Governor, the head of the 2002 Winter Olympics and of an effective and very efficient businessman. She was the wife of a Stake President and Bishop besides having her own callings along the way in the LDS Church and supporting many activities over the years with five children. Most women don't have that kind of responsibility and unpaid responsibility in most of the cases. She still had to meet all the schedules of a busy family along with the formal activities required of a spouse (unfunded mandate) in any governmental, church and volunteer organization. The rigors of the campaigns she has been involved with since the 1990s and her MS illness is such a pioneer spirit to keep on going. These people that defame her and attempt to deride her are out of bounds if they had any knowledge of what all these things involved that she has devoted her life to. Mrs. Romney displays the highest dignity and integrity and should not be questioned about those things she has done in her life to better humanity and our nation's goals set by our founding fathers. She is pure American.

• Wildfan Ogden, UT
    April 12, 2012 12:37 p.m.

Look, it's pretty obvious what happened here. Obama's campaign used a "surrogate" for this comment to try to widen the gap between Romney and women voters, and they come out publicly against it. Well orchestrated if not obvious politics.

The Romneys do enjoy privilege, because they worked their tails off for it. They had support but what they have they earned, the exact opposite of the Obama philosophy.

• LDS Cedar City, UT
    April 12, 2012 12:20 p.m.

If we're going to be honest about the issue of not working outside the home and family, then we must apply this to men as well!

Would you vote for:
    1. A woman whose husband was a "house-husband"?
    2. A man who was a house-husband?

I dare say here in Utah virtually no man would vote for either.

So, how do we frame the Ann Romney issue? Or is it easier to just ignore the sheer gender

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    April 12, 2012 12:20 p.m.

Dem advisor: stupid comment

re:Nan BW
    Ann Romney was the one who encouraged her husband to run for president so, sorry, she opted to work hard, give up her leisure and private life.

Yes, being a mother can be hard work--even harder if one has to work 40+ hrs/wk and worry if there will be enough for the family to eat, get medical care, pay the electric bill and pay for transportation.

I don't buy that the Romney's know what it is like to struggle. Their many comments, insinuating they struggled, reveal as much. And Romney's policies are just going to make it harder for the people who are barely making it.

• Democrat Provo, UT
    April 12, 2012 12:14 p.m.

Rosen's comments were very unfortunate. But I am even more surprised that she failed to apologize. If she wants to make a point about mom's who have to also work outside of the home, that is fine. If she wants to say that Ann Romney is not really Mitt's econ advisor, I guess that's OK too if he has claimed she is. But she needs to apologize for saying that Mrs. Romney "never worked a day in her life" because that is clearly untrue and hurtful.

On another note: this is the sort of thing campaigns need to watch out for...supporters, surrogates and quasi-surrogates saying crazy things. Both Gov. ROmney and President Obama better watch out because their are a lot of nuts with a bone to pick this year and people will be trying to pin their statements on the candidates themselves.

• procuradorfiscal Tooele, UT
    April 12, 2012 12:10 p.m.

Re: ". . . Romney 'never worked a day in her life'"

And Democrats like to say Republicans are out of touch!

• Canuk SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    April 12, 2012 12:09 p.m.

It's amazing to read so much envy!
    Many women choose to stay and do the hardest, the most thankless (at least while they are doing it) job, that never ends. You don't punch a clock at the end of the day and walk out. You stay and continue to take care of all those under your wing. Thank goodness there are people like Ann. It doesn't matter if she had money or not, if you look at most of the working women on tv, in the movies, on the radio, they have plenty, but they choose to let others raise their children. Obama was making over $300,000, but he says they couldn't afford to have Michele stay home.
    It's funny that those who seem to want to identify as Bro, etc., have no idea about the teachings of the LDS Church, and how important the role of mother really is.

• TOO Sanpete, UT
    April 12, 2012 12:05 p.m.

I will be sure to tell my mom--who raised 11 kids--that she needs to get a real job.

Some of the comments on here are down-right insulting.
    My mom raised 6 boys and 5 girls. Of those came:
    6 missionaries
    9 temple marriages (so far)
    5 Eagle Scouts
    25 grandchildren (so far)--2 are already Eagle Scouts.

To say that just because she was rich and didn't have to worry about food for her family means she didn't work is completely ludicrous.
    I guess Michelle Obama--Law Degree and VERY wealthy as well has never worked.
    Oh wait, she has a degree, that must mean something right?

To top it off, Ann Romney has MS. Look it up you folks who don't understand what that disease does to you. She has worked harder than most of you people who make comments on this board.
    Get a clue.

• Nan BW ELder, CO
    April 12, 2012 11:28 a.m.

I had ten years of not having a job outside the home. During that time my spouse was the mayor of a fast growing Utah town for four years, and then had a governor appointed position, in addition to regular employment. Those ten years were harder than the ones when I've had employment and had children home too. I also learned more about political issues, and many other issues during that time. I wouldn't trade places with Ann R. because she has been married to a political leader and business man, very hard tasks.

Bro Chuck S, you need to get a clue!

• VA Saint Chester, VA
    April 12, 2012 11:16 a.m.

I've never been fortunate to be a stay-at-home Mom, something I've always wanted to be able to do. I've had to work hard outside of the home to support my family. But that doesn't mean that Moms like Ann Romney don't know what's going on in the world nor are ignorant to the ways of the world. Just because a woman does not work outside of the home does not mean she is any less than one who does work outside of the home. The Democrat adviser who said such an insipid thing has clearly drawn the line and has shown her stripes regarding the "new" role of women. I have this to say: what is wrong with the traditional one?

• David King Layton, UT
    April 12, 2012 10:46 a.m.

Families of candidates should be off-limits, out of bounds, end of story, period. I don't care if it is Michelle Obama, Sarah Palin's daughter, Mitt Romney's wife, or Jimmy Carter's brother. Going after family is one of the most classless things that can be done in politics, and I'm glad President Obama's campaign said so as well. Kudos to them for disagreeing with Rosen's statement.

• Southern California Redondo Beach, CA
    April 12, 2012 10:33 a.m.

I cannot believe the previous comments! You have to work in the "real world" to know what's going on? Give me a break! Sounds like a bunch of jealous people.

• Pack Layton, Utah
    April 12, 2012 10:32 a.m.

@brother chuck schroeder, "all she did was raise her kids", too bad more parents haven't raised their kids in the responsible way that she has.

• JMHO Southern, UT
    April 12, 2012 10:07 a.m.

Let's get real. Do you think the people running for office in this country came out of the slums? The class warfare has to stop.

• Furry1993 Clearfield, UT
    April 12, 2012 10:03 a.m.

Ann Romney has always lived a life of privilege and opulence. She has never had to worry from where her next meal would come nor from where the money would come to put a roof over her head. She has no experience with the real world that the majority of women in the United States face. She has the experience to talk about the concerns of the top 1%, but NOT the concerns that the majority of women deal with.

Nobody doubts that raising children is a tough job. BUT most women, unlike Ann Romney, have to both raise their children and work to support them. She has no experience with that. As the comment accurately stated, Ann Romney has never had to work outside the home; therefore she has no knowledge or experience concerning the real issues most women face. She does not have the creditials to be Mitt Romney's cheif advisers concerning real world women and women's issues.

Mitt's programs and policies would be disastrous for women. He had better get a clue.

• Brother Chuck Schroeder A Tropical Paradise USA, FL
    April 12, 2012 9:13 a.m.

She was born with a silver spoon also. All she did was raise her kids. Not punched a time clock.

1. Romney's positions are the most radically anti-women of any candidate in a generation: He supports banning all abortions, backed a so-called "personhood" amendment that could make certain forms of birth control illegal, and says he would "get rid of" federal funding for Planned Parenthood that provides preventive services like cancer screenings for millions of women.

2. Romney would repeal Obamacare. Insurance companies would once again be allowed to run up premiums, unjustifiably deny coverage for pre-existing conditions, drop patients when they get sick, discriminate against women by charging them more for coverage than men, and spend more of your premium dollars on CEO profits and bonuses instead of your actual health care.

3. Romney is a risk when it comes to foreign policy and national security. On many of these questions, he has shifted his position for political reason.

4. Despite the lessons of recent history, Romney would double down on the disastrous tax policies that handed windfalls to the wealthy, Under Romney, millionaires and billionaires would get huge tax cuts.

• Bored to the point of THIS! Ogden, UT
    April 12, 2012 8:49 a.m.

Not to sound as if I agree with the statement... I'm curious if she's had a "job" outside the home?

Before you go wild and blast me... I agree that there is no greater calling in life than that of a parent. I wish more parents would take a greater interest in that responsibility. If she has been fortunate enough to be a "stay home Mom" that's a blessing in her life.