Utah

Candidates go through delegates' stomachs to win hearts, minds

Comments

• steve.jacks84 orem , UT
    April 13, 2012 1:16 p.m.

This seems like a great way to allow delegates to meet the candidates. I am excited for Mia Love, sounds like she really knows what she is doing and will be great representation for the state of Utah.

• crodier LAYTON, UT
    April 12, 2012 12:34 p.m.

At first, most delegates don't know Mayor Love, but when they get to know her, they like her. Not just because she is a different face but because she has accomplished so much economically and fiscally speaking for her city.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    April 9, 2012 8:33 p.m.

Yup. Politics as usual. If you can't win them over with your solid ideas and plans, you can always try to buy them.

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 9, 2012 4:42 p.m.

VIVA the delegate process!

Free chow might get delegates to show up to listen to a candidate they initially had little interest in.

However, I trust that nearly all of the delegates take their responsibility seriously and will use the opportunity to learn more about a candidate's position on the issues, and to judge their sincerity, and ethics. (And, yes, if it smells like they are just trying to bribe a delegate, they will pick up on that too!).

Contrast the hours spent by delegates during this wooing process with the barrage of one-way carefully edited sound bites, or brief editorials in the media, or unvetted TV commercials that would happen in an open primary. It is much easier to fool masses of uninterested voters in that arena than when working face to face with very inquisitive delgates who ask tough quesitons and listen critically to answers.

Being a delegate is a lot harder than some people think, and trust me, the free chow does not buy any (or many) delegate votes!

• sovereign joe Draper, Utah
    April 9, 2012 12:47 p.m.

I've been a delegate 5 times. Most candidates do not buy meals for delegates. Carl Wimmer is one who does not buy meals. Why did the writers headline this article "Candidates go through delegates' stomachs to win hearts, minds" then feature only a series of photos showing a rare Carl Wimmer restaurant meeting (where the delegates are clearly not eating a meal). Why not display a candidate who does purchase meals? What's the point? The writers owe Wimmer an apology and clarification to readers.

• wear2manyhatz Holladay, UT
    April 9, 2012 10:19 a.m.

I was a delegate from 2007 until 3/13/12. I will admit that having fun mingling and eating together was nice, may specific intent was to get to know the delegate. I'd make sure to meet the candidate, and talk with as many folks as possible about the delegate. I admire candidates like Seegmiller and Love who are trying something different. Whatever, delegates, and later voters, need to remember that it wasn't the great buffet, but knowing what the candidates stand for, are the only things that matter.

• Florwood American Fork, UT
    April 9, 2012 9:09 a.m.

Since I prefer legislators severely limiting the meals etc they get from lobbyists, I stopped accepting the meals in 2004, and since. Though I kept a nice print Mr. Lampropoulos sent out to the delegates, nice one of an American flag in an old time neighborhood. Guess that shows my price...

• Rhonda H. South Jordan, UT
    April 9, 2012 8:43 a.m.

I do not like the 'buy me a meal' idea, and appreciate the candidates who avoid this. I'm a delegate in South Jordan, and have been to some of these restaurant meetings. I insist on paying for my own meal, though. Some candidates were expecting us to all do this, some are grateful when we do, and others are baffled when we do.

As for David Kirkham's racetrack tickets- he has an annual friends & family free day at his track; he simply expanded it to include more people this year. I find it regrettable, though, in a way, because both this, and handing out his car posters, still feels like he's trying to buy votes. I'm surprised by his doing this, but I guess no more surprised than candidates buying meals. When I went to a Kirkham breakfast meeting, he did expect us to pay our own way. I was glad to see that.

Elections should be about principles and ideas, not food or freebies- on the personal , local, or national level.

• David B. Cedar City, UT
    April 9, 2012 5:49 a.m.

If you want to win our hearts and minds you don't have to go through our stomachs to do it! Just do your jobs that you were elected to do! You work for us we don't work for you so quit giving us the shaft!