Sports

Utah Utes football team deep at running back position

Comments

• CO Ute PARKER, CO
    March 30, 2012 3:14 p.m.

@Cougar Claws - In 13 games last year JJ DiLuigi had 3 rushing TDs which is the same number the Wolfman had in the 2nd half against your team. There was a reason White carried the ball 316 times and DiLuigi didn't.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    March 29, 2012 5:32 p.m.

Re: motorbike

Haven't you watched BYUs offense? I think it's pretty obvious when BYU is going to run. So I think teams knew when JJ, or any other back for that matter, was getting the ball.

JJ wouldn't have survived the season with the same number of carries? Based on what facts? He was never even given the chance to prove that. He averaged 7 carries per game for his career. He did a pretty good job with what he was given. No where near the same yardage? He had the same ypc average so who's to say it wouldn't have been anywhere close. He had a better average last year when he almost had 1,000 yards, and as a sophomore he averaged 5.5 ypc.

Besides, what powerhouse defenses did Utah face in the PAC? Colorado? UCLA? Oregon State? Maybe they were a little better than the WAC defenses but not by much.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    March 29, 2012 5:20 p.m.

Re: Utards

All I'm saying is don't run down BYU's backfield because no one BYU back had 316 carries. Who's to say if John White IV averaged 7 carries per game (which is pretty much what JJ got) that he wouldn't have got only 50 yards a game.

Besides which, what powerhouse defenses did Utah play in the Pac-12 on their schedule last year? Colorado? UCLA? Oregon State? True they are probably better than the WAC defenses BYU played, but honestly, by how much? BYU played half decent defenses too like Ole Miss, Texas, and TCU.

Finally, John White probably would have had 4000 yards against the WAC teams because Coach Whittingham does things like run up the score, give players their "stats," and kick onside kicks when Utah is up by 50 points. They probably wouldn't have even thrown the dang ball. They would have played John White all 4 quarters and given him the ball 70 times per game. So, thanks for confirming your non-classiness Utah fans.

• jersey Mt Laurel, NJ
    March 29, 2012 4:43 p.m.

If White rushed 316 times against teams like New Mexico, Idaho, San Jose, Hawaii, Tulsa, and Idaho State, like JJ did, he would have rushed for 3000 yards...with all that said JJ rushed for 601 yards and White rushed for a school record.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    March 29, 2012 1:03 p.m.

"I don't have any problem with you being unjustifiably unrealistic about your team, you guys are like that all of the time. You just don't allow BYU fans the same luxury"

How is that? Are they all moderators and DN employees, too?

• Magna Ute Fan Magna, UT
    March 29, 2012 11:38 a.m.

Oh man! Won't we ever learn not to feed nuisance critters?

This Ute team is looking deep at most of the skill positions. I am excited to see how they fair on October 4th!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    March 29, 2012 11:02 a.m.

@devlishute

"False! You're a lot less."

Great point, and I agree 100%. No matter how hard I try I cannot come anywhere close to matching the volume of trolling utah "fans" do on BYU articles. Thanks for pointing that out.

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    March 29, 2012 10:27 a.m.

"Remember I am the balance, nothing more."

False! You're a lot less.

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    March 29, 2012 10:25 a.m.

Cougar Claws,

"I don't think anyone is saying BYU had Oregon's backfield last year, but they had a 160 yards per game average."

Against a bunch of JV HS teams........

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    March 29, 2012 10:10 a.m.

Lotsa "frantic and emotional", if I can borrow a phrase from a certain utah "fan", responses from utah "fans". Love it.

LOL!

@motorbike

I don't have any problem with you being unjustifiably unrealistic about your team, you guys are like that all of the time. You just don't allow BYU fans the same luxury and until you do I will be here giving it back. If you doubt this go ahead and read any of the BYU articles for the posts from howie, naval, otis, or any of the other utah "fans" that post ad naseum on them. Remember I am the balance, nothing more.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    March 29, 2012 12:12 a.m.

Correct you are motorbike [re: 10:08 pm]. Furthermore, if we were really comparing apples-to-apples, if JW IV faced all those WAC defenses DiLuigi had been running through, it's reasonable to conclude that White would have finished with WELL over 1,600 yds.

The bottom line is White > DiLuigi.

• Qwest Perfected Salt Lake City, UT
    March 28, 2012 10:34 p.m.

@ducky

I would love to see you "pull up the archives" - the only thing you will find is how completely obsessed you are with Utah. It's ridiculous how many times you post on every Utah article.

I would think by now you would have convinced yourself that the cougs were a good team, and therefore you would focus your attention to your own team but that is still not the case. Instead you spent the winter going to all the Utah basketball games to verify the "actual" attendance and now it's evident that you are nervous about how good the Utes football team is.

Really I think your team is going to need your support this year - so go out and get yourself the new motto tee shirt at Zion's bank and the perfect the art of you face painting skills. LOL

It's a great time to be a Ute!

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    March 28, 2012 10:08 p.m.

Cougar Claws -

Your thought process is severely flawed. You need to realize that John White IV got as many yards as he did when defenses knew dang well he was getting the ball. If defenses were keying on JJ DiLuigi the way they keyed on JWIV I highly doubt two things ... 1) that he survives the season, and 2) that he gets anywhere near the same yardage.
    It's simply naive to take a guys yards per carry and think he'd have a 1500 yard season if you doubled his carries.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    March 28, 2012 9:19 p.m.

Re: utahcountyute

John White IV also had 316 carries. If JJ DiLuigi had the same number of carries he would have had 1580 yards.

I don't think anyone is saying BYU had Oregon's backfield last year, but they had a 160 yards per game average. That's nothing to sneer at.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    March 28, 2012 6:08 p.m.

Ducky, Ducky, Ducky ...

Again, Utah fans were HOPING the RB spot would be good last year but we knew Palamo, Langi and White had a combined 0 carries of D1 experience.

There's a difference between having hoped for depth and claiming we already had it.

If anything it was cougar fans claiming depth at RB last season with your 3-headed monster that wasn't a monster at all.

Now if the Utah RB's happen to crash and burn this season and you want to call me delusional for having proclaimed how great their depth was going in ... I'll be happy to eat that humble pie ... well, not happy, but I'll eat it because this year I'm absolutely proclaiming that depth and I'll stand by it.

I'm look forward to your silence ... ha, who am I kidding, we know that won't happen regardless. You'll always make something up to justify your dislike of Utah "fans". LOL

• AntelopeValleyUte Palmdale, CA
    March 28, 2012 5:46 p.m.

LOL! I haven't seen a whole lot Ute haters posting lately up until Duck duck goose posted. I was like...they finally got tired of seeing Utah football articles on the front of the Deseret News front page or sports page almost everyday or every other day. I guess can't help it if Utah football is just that exciting! Go UTES!

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    March 28, 2012 5:08 p.m.

Please don't feed the ducks!

You say that dub45 was deflecting? Funny cause that is exactly what YOU did. He totally proved your point wrong and that is all you could come back with? Pathetic.

Was it not the running game of byU that was labeled the "best ever" with Kariya, Di Luigi and Quezada? Riley had more yards than Quesada. LOL. In fact White had more yards than Kariya, Di Luigi and Riley combined! LOL!

Too funny

• KH Holladay, UT
    March 28, 2012 4:32 p.m.

Duckhunter,

Remember how much "hype" you byu fans gave Jake Heaps? (Heisman, NC, etc.) Where is he now? Benched and gone.

The most ironic thing I have ever heard in my life is a byu fan telling a Utah fan base that they overhype their team.

• afro14 Sandy, UT
    March 28, 2012 3:15 p.m.

@ Duckhunter

Considering the results that John White had last year, I'd say the talk was justified. Many Ute fans talked a lot about the depth that the Utes had last year at RB, and while Langi didn't get much playing time, White was an absolute beast and Vakapuna performed very well when he had to come in and take over for an injured John White in the last game of the season. Palamo didn't play out as expected, so the coaches have switched him to DE, where he is making great progress.

If you have doubts about Kelvin York's abilities, go to YouTube and look up a highlight video of him, doing so put the doubts I had to rest. I also liked what I saw from Oliver in the spring practice that I watched last weekend. Overall, the Utes looked strong at every position, which goes right along with what Coach Whit said in the article.

• yankees27 Heber, Utah
    March 28, 2012 3:14 p.m.

Well, he's back at it. The Hunter couldn't leave a Ute article alone. Oh well, we know that the one thing that is safe from Duckie are the Ducks he supposedly hunts, there is no way that dude could hit anything, even with a 12 gauge. Well, maybe, you know the saying, even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while.

• Aloha Saint George Saint George, Utah
    March 28, 2012 12:16 p.m.

You can all you want about the RBs. However there are good RBs without a solid line. I expect RBs to explode this year, especially with all that beef on the line. And they are deep too.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    March 28, 2012 12:05 p.m.

@motorbike

That is 100% false. yes utah "fans" were claiming that the rb's were stacked last year and white was actually the one none of you gave any credit to. langi and the rugby player were the 2 you were really claiming were going to be studs and neither did a thing, they certainly didn't "come on" LOL!

I love utah "fan" revisionist history, especially when you try to revise it twice in one post. LOL!

It is all in the Dnews archives, I won't bother looking it up since I know the truth of it but you should do it and then come back and apologize.

@dub45

Ah the old deflect to another topic tactic. Fail. LOL!

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    March 28, 2012 11:59 a.m.

Duckhunter:

"You utah 'fans' sure like to claim BYU fans are guilty of pre season hype but the truth is you guys are far, far worse at it. It isn't even close as to which fanbase is more delusional..."

NO fanbase is as delusional as the Indy-WACer's. As motorbike already pointed out, Utah fans were NOT boasting of the depth in our offensive backfield last season. The most common refrain was, "If Wynn stays healthy..."; not, "This is as deep a backfield as has ever suited up on the Hill." And THAT's why you won't be able to link us to any articles where Ute fans boasted of the depth which you've accused. Quit being so frantic and emotional.

Now, speaking preseason hype...

Do you deny that your "fans" HAVEN'T been suggesting that any of your backup QBs would be clear starters at the U? Now THAT's preseason hype! Your starter is an undersized 2-star transfer from Utah State. And his much ballyhooed/3-star backups couldn't beat him out. And, as dub45 already pointed out, all went 2 for 30, with 2 INTs. Any TDs?

• RivertonUte Riverton, UT
    March 28, 2012 11:57 a.m.

@Duckhunter

I'm sensing some jealousy, glad byu fans are concerned about Ute preseason hype. The Utes never came out with Quest for Perfection t-shirts or had over hyped freshmen holding a press conference declaring National Championships.

@motorbike

Couldn't agree more, what an exciting time to be a Ute!

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    March 28, 2012 11:17 a.m.

Duckhunter -

Feeling a little jealous?

Your own comment shows the flaw in your argument as to which fanbase is more delusional. Your comment is laughable - you're really reaching for new ways to belittle your opposing fan-base ... and I mean REALLY REACHING ... it's pathetic.

There were very few if any Ute fans who would've made a comment about having great depth at RB prior to last season. We had high hopes for Langi but between he and John White IV we all knew they had 0 carries at the D1 level - no one ever called that situation "depth" and no one predicted John White IV to win the starting job let alone run for 1,500+ yards.

Here's the great thing, none of us thought we had depth last year and it turns out we had more than we thought ... White was WAY better than we thought, Langi wasn't great but came on late, and Vakapuna helped when needed. So now imagine this year when we actually DO feel we have depth ... will they exceed expectations again???

Man it's good to be a Ute.

• dub45 SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    March 28, 2012 11:10 a.m.

@duckhunter, I heard that the BYU QBs were 2 for 30 with 2 int. in spring practices, including Riley, how is that for hype, and you forget that John White was one of the best backs in College last year, he was 2nd in the PAC only to LaMichael James, if thats not hype I dont know what is. Be concerned about Star, and the Kruger brother hurting Nelson next year than our running game.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    March 28, 2012 10:06 a.m.

@motorbike

"It's amazing how deep the Utes are at RB this year."

That is exactly the same thing utah "fans" were claiming last year at this time and we all know that was not the case.

You utah "fans" sure like to claim BYU fans are guilty of pre season hype but the truth is you guys are far, far worse at it. It isn't even close as to which fanbase is more delusional and you guys prove it on here all of the time.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    March 28, 2012 9:20 a.m.

What isn't being talked about much is that Oliver and Langi have been as impressive as York and White so far. And Langi is getting some reps at Fullback too.
    There has been little separating the 4 of them in Spring practices up to this point ... there's also been mention of Lucky Radley looking good.
    It's amazing how deep the Utes are at RB this year.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    March 28, 2012 7:54 a.m.

Naval Vet and MN Ute, he's coming off a significant time loss injury and naturally he's just a big boy, he's gonna put on weight. I'd heard reports of him coming in closer to 245 in January. The good thing is that fans' speculation at his weight holds no importance. Coach Elisaia knows what he's doing, whether it's at 225 or 200, he's going to have him ready to go by August.

• BamaUte Owens Cross Roads, AL
    March 28, 2012 6:20 a.m.

How can a Ute fan not be excited for 2012 and 2013. Witt's got everyone saying and doing all the right things as the talent level increases annually. Langi may end up the best of them all and hardly gets a mention, but his time will come.

• Qwest Perfected Salt Lake City, UT
    March 28, 2012 12:45 a.m.

The Utes have some much needed depth at some key positions for next season. That was obviously a huge problem last year and the coaches did a great job of addressing our needs.

I can't wait to see both White and York in the backfield they will keep defenses on their heels. I wonder where Langi is going to fit in to the mix or if perhaps he will redshirt?

I'm looking forward to this season more and more each day. Also can't wait for that new football facility to be completed!

It's a great time to be a Ute!

• MN Ute SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    March 27, 2012 10:22 p.m.

Typo, Scout and Rivals have him between 219 and 225. Either way, I'm happy that we have another fast RB, especially since York has a bit more power RB talent than White, so I think they'll balance each other out well.

Can't wait for 2012.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    March 27, 2012 10:13 p.m.

This article lists York at 235-lbs, but the roster on Utah's official athletic website lists him 10-lbs lighter at 225. Was that a typo, or has there been another weigh-in? I would LOVE to see a 235-lbs tailback who runs a 4.5 forty, but I'm doubting the accuracy of this report. PLEASE tell me I'm wrong!

GO UTES!!!