Sports

High school girls basketball: All-Region Teams

Comments

• BBall Fan 67 Bountiful, UT
    March 27, 2012 11:43 a.m.

Good list except the Point guards. Amber Daly was the best point guard in region 1 hands down. And proved against Weber twice winning both games by a big margin. She was short changed.

• UtahHSFan LAYTON, UT
    March 28, 2012 9:59 a.m.

Amazing! The region 1 teams are pretty poor. Layton loses 2 games all season(only to Syracuse) and plays one poor game in the state tournament(which allowed Weber to play lesser teams) and they are not represented well. They beat Weber, Davis, and Northridge twice handily during the regular season. So if one team plays mediocre all season and then has a couple decent games in the state tournament, they must have good players? After looking at the deseret news all state teams...I shouldn't be surprised.

• What ? Northern, UT
    March 30, 2012 10:36 a.m.

I don't take anything away from Layton as a team, they proved they belong at the top of team play. All-Area and All-State are individual honors and "team" has nothing to do with it. An example is Dezz Ramos, a sub-par team with an exceptional player. Numbers tell the story, Layton had great team numbers but no one individual stood out. What happened to Layton’s stats? Maddi Smith 1 rebound? I would blame the coaching staff for not reporting correct stats.

• UtahHSFan LAYTON, UT
    March 30, 2012 1:37 p.m.

Is that how these teams are picked? Based on what stats are turned in by coaches? I'm not sure what happened to the stats, but I agree with you about Maddi Smith. I watched that team play several times this season and she was consistently the best player all year long on what most considered to be the second best team in the state. Yet, she gets no recognition or accolades. Having a great season like Layton did, and not being recognized, it's a shame.

• What ? Northern, UT
    March 30, 2012 2:11 p.m.

The coaches select the teams based on what they see during the season. Stats are an important tool because coaches might only see a player 2 or 3 games all season. In a perfect world coaches would be able to recognize the most talented and deserving players but......

• UtahHSFan LAYTON, UT
    March 30, 2012 3:57 p.m.

Right, I agree, but it seems like while some teams report every stat possible, others tend to report maybe points scored 80 percent of the time. It just seems like an imbalanced way to look at it. I think it may be more likely whoever is the loudest whenever these coaches get together is who gets players chosen. I notice there are 2 girls from Weber and one from Davis who, in my opinion, are questionable considering I watched Layton play Weber and Davis twice. Both times they were severely out-talented. Just my opinion.