Readers' forum: Our next president

• Give Me A Break Pullman, WA
    Feb. 26, 2012 10:25 a.m.

I was privileged to work at the '02 Olympics, (yes I got paid) and I saw how Mitt Romney's leadership and know-how turned around the most disastrous Olympics into one of the most successful. I can't imagine anyone who wouldn't want that for our country, unless you are not a citizen. But being a citizen myself, and seeing the menu for who could reasonably be our president in 2012, Mitt Romney is our best bet. I am more concerned about turning around our economy than I am with which Church he attends, which investment he has, or how many people with unnecessary jobs he had to eliminate. I know Mitt is a very concerned man who knows, and that is important, he knows how to improve the business environment, and we need that.

I will support Mitt this election, and by so doing, I will support America's turn around.

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 24, 2012 7:07 a.m.

The President is center left and Romney is center right pandering to the Fox radical Limbaugh right.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    Feb. 23, 2012 9:07 a.m.

Pagan, the 1.3 billion was the total budget. Less than 10% came from direct federal and state subsidies. Sponsors and media contracts paid for most of the Olympics. The most came from whichever TV network broadcast the olympics.

• homebrew South Jordan, UT
    Feb. 22, 2012 8:25 p.m.

Utah is totally infatuated with Willard. The rest of the GOP and the country does not share your infatuation. Mitt will say anything to get elected. He is the worst example of a pollitician one could ever imagine. Thats why the GOP is clamouring, "Anyone But MITT" He will never be president. EVER. Obama 2012

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 22, 2012 4:54 p.m.

1- The current President will also be the next President. The repubs have lost it.
    2-If Mitt were elected nothing would change. Wall Street would still own the US Government. Stop pretending Mitt would go back to DC and "fix things".
    Nothing is going to change.

• The Real Maverick Orem, UT
    Feb. 22, 2012 4:50 p.m.

I think we're truly seeing how utterly desperate Romney is.

He once campaigned on being a moderate. Now that he sees that he cannot win his party's nomination with that, he's attempting to campaign on being a radical conservative.

This circus is getting old. I'm just thankful that Santorum is finally putting Romney out of his misery.

• 1aggie SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Feb. 22, 2012 4:45 p.m.

I had a good laugh at the title of this letter: "Our Next Presidemt". Hillary Clinton isn't mentioned anywhere, nor is the year 2016 mentioned, so I don't know how DN could have possibly come up with such a misleading title (for a letter about Mitt).
    The only thing Mitt is ultimately going to accomplish by running is finally bringing attention to (and causing congress to abolish) the unfair 'carried interest rule' that has made him so wealthy.

• Jl Sandy, UT
    Feb. 22, 2012 4:36 p.m.

West Jordan, UT
    FYI, Mr Romney was home from his mission a few years before the draft lottery came about. I know because I lived in the era. Like many things Romney states that doesn't match the facts. I think many of the supporters support the faith rather than the opinions and if he is elected that's what you'll need. Faith.

• Brother Chuck Schroeder A Tropical Paradise USA, FL
    Feb. 22, 2012 3:32 p.m.

Re: Truthseeker
    SLO, CA

Reply: Show me the reciepts then. Just like peas in a pod, milk and cookies, wheels on a bicycle and matching socks, most things in life are better in twos.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 22, 2012 1:37 p.m.

I will never vote for a candidate who accepts the Democratic platform which allows an unborn baby to be destroyed in the womb without due process... - Mike Richards | 11:40 a.m. Feb. 22, 2012

** Romney Maintained Massachusetts Contraception Requirement That Mirrors Obamas Rule' - By Igor Volsky - Think Progress 02/07/12

In 2002 the very same year Romney campaigned for governor of Massachusetts the state enacted a contraceptive equity law that REQUIRED insurers that provide outpatient benefits to cover hormone replacement therapy and ALL FDA-approved contraceptive methods. article

The problem, with pandering to every side of a debate...

...is that people can then criticize you, on any part of the debate.

Romney is against birth control (not abortion) now.

Not Massachusetts.

Also, I've given an example of Romney changing stances in just x24 hours.

9:00 a.m.

Whever you are?

I hope you enjoy the rest of your day.

• Mike Richards South Jordan, Utah
    Feb. 22, 2012 1:35 p.m.

LDS Liberal,

In America, no one is forced to join a party. When a party lists on its platform that they believe in abortion, that candidate knows BEFOREHAND joining that the people he will serve with on committies, the party leaders who will determine which committies he will serve on, and the people who voted for him will expect him to follow party line.

BECAUSE he joins a party of his own free will, I will use MY FREE WILL to vote against him - every time. I do not join organizations whose values contradict my values

It's that simple.

When conception takes place, there are three years lives to consider, not just one.

• chicagoborn WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Feb. 22, 2012 12:33 p.m.

"So I will NEVER vote for ANYONE who accepts a platform that brushes aside life."
    Can anyone else see the irony in that?

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Feb. 22, 2012 12:24 p.m.

All I can say is I don't see Mitt ever becoming President. Lately I have wondered if he regrets even getting into this quagmire. What a mess, and that includes Mitt not being able to be himself in a party controlled by looney extremists. I'm beginning to feel sorry for him. Obama, 2016. Maybe the GOP can pull itself together in 2016, but it ain't happening this year.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Feb. 22, 2012 12:17 p.m.

Mike Richards | 11:40 a.m. Feb. 22, 2012
    South Jordan, Utah

"I will never vote for a candidate who accepts the Democratic platform which..."

Therein lies the root cause of your Political error.

I know Plenty, PLENTY of Democrats who do not cow-tow the Party-line, and regularly vote AGAINST the party platform.

These are men/women of "principle",
    They vote their Conscious,
    They Represent their Constituants....NOT their Party.

You keep putting the cart before the horse.
    You and your politically pure Party-Line ideology is the most dangerous form of tyranny in America, and is THE biggest threat to Democracy I have ever seen.

I see no differnce to your hard-line Republican Party stance,
    than say Nazi Germany, the former Soviet Union, Castro's Cuba, Kim Jong Il's North Korea, Taliban Afghanistan, or the Islamic Republic of Iran.

Believe it or not;
    No Party is perfect,
    No Party can fully represent any one person,
    No Party is always the same,
    No one needs to lock-step to pure Party Political ideologies.

But why am I wasting my breath, and 25% of my comments with you anyway?

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    Feb. 22, 2012 12:12 p.m.

I think we as a society can change social norms to reduce the incidence of abortion, just as we did with smoking. However, Republicans/Conservative policies run counter to that effort. Such as their ridiculous opposition to contraception (yes, even apart from the church/state issue), their oppposition to social programs to help the needy, including needy children and their opposition to public education.

on a related note:
    The NY Times recently had an article about unwed mothers. It said "the fastest growth of unwed mothers in the past two decades has occurred in white women in their 20's. In 2009, 59% of women were married when they have children. But 2/3 of the unmarried women giving birth are younger than 30. College graduates overwhelmingly marry before having children. Almost all of the rise in nonmarital births has occurred among couples living together. While in some countries such relationships endure at rates that resemble marriages, in the U.S. they are more than twice as likely to dissolve than marriages."

Another interesting factor, not mentioned, is the mean age of women at the birth of their first child, lowest (OECD countries) in Eastern Europe and the U.S.

• J Thompson SPRINGVILLE, UT
    Feb. 22, 2012 12:11 p.m.

It seems to be a favorite tactic for many peopl,e who post comments, to bash Romney without giving specifics and without giving context. They use "sound bites" and "snip its", out of context to bash him and those who favor him.

Every time any of us does something, we do it in a context based on conditions and expectations. Sometimes the choice that we have to make is not the choice that we would make if we controlled the context and the situation.

Abortion is one of those issues, and it is an issue where Romney has been accused of "flip-flopping". His life's experiences gave him a reason to change his mind on abortion. He thought about it outside the context of HIS life's experiences. He thought about it in the context of what is best for the mother, the unborn child and society. He changed his mind AGAINST popular opinion and AGAINST mainstream American, and yet he is criticized and called a "flip-flopper". Mr. Obama has done just the opposite. He counted the possible votes and decided that life was not as important to him as getting the votes.

Context is everything.

• Mike Richards South Jordan, Utah
    Feb. 22, 2012 11:40 a.m.

LDS Liberal,

I will never vote for a candidate who accepts the Democratic platform which allows an unborn baby to be destroyed in the womb without due process, without requiring extensive counseling and without medical tests that show exactly why the mother is in danger. In many States, that unborn child has been deemed a person when the mother is killed. I also deem that unborn child to be a person, so I will NEVER vote for ANYONE who accepts a platform that brushes aside life.

You have the right to vote for whomever you want. I have that same right. Not you, nor anyone else in America, has the RIGHT to know how I vote. That decision is mine and mine alone. It is finalized as I cast my PRIVATE ballot for the candidates of MY choice.

That's the way we do things, here in America.

• isrred Logan, UT
    Feb. 22, 2012 11:11 a.m.

"He STANDS for something."

The biggest flip-flopper in the race STANDS for something? How laughable! Yeah, he stands for something: whatever it is he thinks that will get him elected.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Feb. 22, 2012 11:07 a.m.

@Mike Richards | 10:51 a.m. Feb. 22, 2012
    South Jordan, Utah

On the contrary,
    I vote for Republicans every election.

I vote for the Person, and never ever the Party.

Tell me Mike - Honestly....
    When was the last time you voted for someone who was NOT a Republican.

That to me is more telling, IMHO.

BTW - Mitt Romney may stand for something [as you say],
    it's which "Direction" he is standing on any given day that most of America can't seem to support the guy.
    Like a rudderless ship.

• Mike Richards South Jordan, Utah
    Feb. 22, 2012 10:51 a.m.

Again, those Democrats or "independents" who would never vote for ANY Republican are telling us Republicans how to vote. They're not satisfied pointing out any attributes of their own candidate, so they resort to bashing Republicans.

Let them praise Obama. Let them find something that he has done that was Constitutional and at the same time something that was good for the Country. Because he has done nothing to reduce unemployment; because he kept us from drilling in the Gulf and in Utah, Colorado and Wyoming where we have vast oil reserves; because he seized private property and violated the 5th Amendment; because he signed a law that allows American citizens to be jailed without telling them why, allowing them to have an attorney or bringing them to trial; because he extended everything that he blamed Bush for doing; HOW COULD they cheer for him. Because they can't cheer for Obama, they bash Republicans.

Romney is a GOOD MAN. He has principles that the Democrats long ago abandoned. He STANDS for something. That's why they bash him.

Misery loves company. They want us all to be miserable.

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    Feb. 22, 2012 10:37 a.m.

Sen. Kerry reported $395,000 in taxable income and paid $90,575 in federal income taxes, according to a campaign press release. Kerry's income included his senatorial salary and $89,000 in proceeds from his book, "A Call to Service."

Kerry reported $43,735 in charitable contributions.
    (CBS 2003 tax return)

Romney benefitted greatly from his father's wealth and to portray him otherwise is not truthful. How many college students live off money invested in the stock market or have parents who "loan" them money to buy a house while still in college? Ann Romney
    also came from a family with means.

• Mc West Jordan, UT
    Feb. 22, 2012 10:28 a.m.

Your post is the perfect example of someone who has only read or seen what others have said about Romney without reading the whole story or any of Romney's own writings. Each point you brought up is only part of the story (though I have no idea what your tree comment is about)

For example:

Romney voting democrat in 1992: He registered as an independent in Massachusetts because there was seldom a republican primary in that solidly democrat state. Independents could vote in the democratic primary, so he would vote for the least liberal or least electable democrat in an effort to have some effect on the candidates there. He was never a domocrat and never voted for a democrat in a general election.

Dodging the draft: Romney simply lived his religion and went on a mission at that time. When he returned he had a draft number, just like every other eligible male at that time. The fact that his number wasn't called up is not his fault. He has said he would have gone if called upon.

Building his fortune by destroying businesses: The Gingrich ad has been shown to be false. The four businesses used in it either didn't really close or closed long after Romney had anything to do with it, the result of union demands more than anything Bain Capital did. 80% of companies Bain invested in succeeded and led to thousands of jobs. That's a better record than most capital investment firms and, in reality, our free market system could not continue without companies, like Bain, who make it possible for start up companies to make it, especially when banks today are not as willing to invest in new companies.

Romney speaks of the contributions that unions made when originally formed in helping create better working conditions and child labor laws, but he has not changed his position on the threat that unions can be to the health of a company when they go too far in their demands. His business experience has shown him the results.

Mormon hispanics don't like his immigration stand. If he was really a flip flopper he'd be changing his stand to please them. Their opposition is also another example of not reading the whole story. Romney has said he wants to make it easier to come here legally. He is not anti-immigrant.

If you don't understand Romney's positions it is because you are not getting your information from the source- Romney himself. Read his book. Check out his positions on his website. Read the many op ed article he has written. Look at his record, not what others say about it without looking at the whole story. Quit relying on biased media reports and headlines.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 22, 2012 10:11 a.m.

However, your posts are always the perfect example of forming opinions based on headlines without knowing the rest of the story. - Mc | 9:44 a.m. Feb. 22, 2012

Go ahead and look up the story! :)

I did give you the:

And I didn't have to project any failings to you personally..

to do it.

• Brother Chuck Schroeder A Tropical Paradise USA, FL
    Feb. 22, 2012 9:48 a.m.

About Romney's sinful wealth. It just occurred to me. With all the noise the media is making about Romney's wealth, I don't recall such bluster and hang-wringing over the Kennedy fortune. Or, for that matter, John Kerry. Or the fact that John Kerry gave virtually nothing to charity while Romney gave something on the order of $4 million. Oh. Wait. I just remembered. Romney is a moderate Republican. Kerry and the Kennedys are Democrats. Also, Romney worked for his money. Kennedy inherited his. And Kerry married it.

• Mc West Jordan, UT
    Feb. 22, 2012 9:44 a.m.

I didn't expect you to agree with me (I never agree with you.)

• isrred Logan, UT
    Feb. 22, 2012 9:09 a.m.

"I saw Romney organize us in an impressive way in order to maximize and direct our efforts. In my opinion, he is the kind of person who would be very effective as president because he knows how to bring people together."

*gasp* that sounds an awful lot like a COMMUNITY ORGANIZER!

Pretty sure the far right doesn't like those. Or maybe they only dislike the ones that are Black?

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 22, 2012 9:00 a.m.

...but those who have really studied his writings and record know that he has steadily become more conservative. He has not changed back and forth depending on who he's speaking to. - Mc | 8:48 a.m. Feb. 22, 2012

** Mitt Romney steers clear of Ohio health, union issues' - By Dan Sewell - AP - Published by DSNews - 10/25/11

** Mitt Romney reverses himself, supports anti-union law' - By Philip Elliott - AP - Published by DSNews - 10/26/11

FAIRFAX, Va. A day after he refused to endorse an Ohio ballot measure that limits public employee union rights, Republican presidential hopeful Mitt Romney said Wednesday that he is "110 percent" behind the effort. article

Time elapsed?

Just 24 hours.

** Ohio voters reject Republican-backed union limits By Julie Carr Smyth AP Published by Dsnews 11/08/11

I cannot agree with you on this, Mc.

• ugottabkidn Sandy, UT
    Feb. 22, 2012 8:48 a.m.

Which one are you talking about? The one that flew expletives at an Olympic volunteer, the one that was a democrat in 92, the one that supports a woman's right to choose, the one that dodged the draft in the 60's, the one that has never built anything but made his personal fortune by destroying businesses? Maybe it's the one that admires trees that are all the same heighth or the one that lives in ? where? I am just curious because I have yet to see how he can change anything especially if he has a Congress that vows to destroy him the day after he takes office or deal with the extreme right that wants to become the Christian Taliban. Speaking of religion he can't even get the support of Mormon hispanics. Now he is singing the praise of the contribution of auto unions. I just can't figure what his message is.

• Mc West Jordan, UT
    Feb. 22, 2012 8:48 a.m.

I totally agree with this letter.

The Real Maverick just repeats the mantra of the left and the far right in calling Romney a flip flopper. Romney gets it from both sides, but those who have really studied his writings and record know that he has steadily become more conservative. He has not changed back and forth depending on who he's speaking to. His life experience as a businessman and governor helped him become more conservative as he saw the results of liberal policies.

People need to stop reading the headlines and do some real research on their own. The media only scratches the surface in an effort to discredit or sensationalize. Their continual use of the flip flopper label for Romney when other candidates have shown blatant flip flopping shows not only their bias against Romney, but the fact that they just can't find anything else to use against him.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 22, 2012 8:45 a.m.

As a volunteer at the games, I saw Romney... - Letter

Good thing you weren't an employee:

** GOP rivals turn Romneys jobs record against him' - By Kasie Hunt - AP - Published by DSnews - 01/09/2012

A separate AP analysis found that at least 4,000 workers lost their jobs at 45 companies bought by Bain... article

** Mitt Romney as job creator clashes with Bain record of job cuts' - By Lisa Lerer, Bloomberg News - Published by DSNews - 07/20/11

Employees who lost jobs at Bain-controlled companies more than a decade ago say they still hold Romney responsible.
    "I would not vote for him for anything," said Phyllis Detro, 68, who lost her job... - Article.

The Olympics cost the US taxpayer, $1.3 billion of our tax dollars.

• Blue Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 22, 2012 8:44 a.m.

Mitt now finds himself awkwardly telling CPAC that he is "severely conservative."

As he said this, the CPAC audience glowered at him. (They'd throw rose petals before a portrait of Reagan, but rotten tomatoes at any of Reagan's actual policies.)

The rest of the nation has to strain to stifle giggles.

And now Santorum is the new leader?

Republicans, you brought this on yourselves.

• kibitzer Magna, UT
    Feb. 22, 2012 8:31 a.m.

Ron Paul for President! And how will Mitt change anything?

• The Real Maverick Orem, UT
    Feb. 22, 2012 8:14 a.m.

Michael, had you written this last election, you might have been right. However, Mitt no longer preaches moderation. He no longer is campaigning as a "middle" guy. He's campaigning as you described, "a far right."

For the last 3 1/2 years he has been trying to appeal and gain more support from the radical right/tea party ilk.

I'm not sure what he stands for as he's flip flopped so many times.

In my opinion, we need leaders who have a solid and well thought out political philosophy. Not someone who changes every week depending on who he's speaking to.

Mitt Romney isn't a leader, he's a politician. He'll do and say anything to become elected. That's scary.