Utah

Family of Josh Powell withdraws plans to bury him in same cemetery as his sons

Comments

• On the other hand Spanish Fork, UT
    Feb. 18, 2012 2:03 p.m.

@Rifleman, it was insensitive of the Powells to want Josh to be buried in the vicinity of his victims. I don't know specifically what they were thinking when they made that decision; people who have undergone extreme emotional distress often don't think rationally. There was a justified public outcry, and Crime Stoppers bought the plots adjacent to the boys. The Powells still could have tried to have Josh buried elsewhere in the cemetery, like the plot 25 feet away that they had reportedly selected. Heck, they could have sued to try and block Crime Stoppers from buying those plots, or they could have done any number of monstrous, vicious things. Instead, they elected to let it drop and to bury him elsewhere.

I agree with what you say about human decency. But in choosing to have Josh Powell buried in a different cemetery, the Powells have satisfied human decency.

Your concern for the Coxes and for the memory of Susan Cox Powell is impressive. I imagine Susan wouldn't want her in-laws vilified over this issue, particularly now that it has become a non-issue. Susan has a better idea than any of us how insignificant this incident is in the grand scheme of things.

• Johnson72 Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 18, 2012 12:24 p.m.

Can't we just all get along for Charlie and Braden's sake?

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    Feb. 18, 2012 10:44 a.m.

Re: On the other hand | 7:39 p.m. Feb. 17, 2012
    "They made a mistake; they corrected it."

No, they didn't correct their mistake. Crime Stoppers had to purchased the burial plots on both sides of the grave for $4,000 to prevent them from burying Josh Powell beside his victims. How insensitive does a family have to be to not realize that how inappropriate that idea was?

Christian compassion definitely has it's place but it can't be allowed to overrule basic human decency. Would Susan Powell want the man who killed her sons buried in the same cemetery?

• Love Utah Draper, UT
    Feb. 17, 2012 10:15 p.m.

The only way the Powells will avoid inevitable desecration of Josh's grave, is to bury him in an unmarked grave (preferably as far away as possible) or, better still, have him cremated and hold onto his ashes. However, if they want ongoing personal heartache, burying him with a headstone will provide them with that. They should think themselves lucky, they have a choice, unlike the Coxes, who have still to find their daughter.

• On the other hand Spanish Fork, UT
    Feb. 17, 2012 7:39 p.m.

I see there may be some misunderstanding about my earlier comments, so let me be clear. I have never wanted or advocated for Josh Powell to be buried next to his victims. I'm sorry if you got that impression. I would like nothing more than for Susan Powell to be found and, if dead, buried next to her sons. I was pleased to hear that Josh Powell will not be buried in the same cemetery as his victims.

What I was and am advocating for is compassion toward Josh Powell's mother, sisters, and brother. They don't need to be called brainless, devoid of conscience, or lacking in judgment. They made a mistake; they corrected it.

Yes, I need to work on my compassion too. Yes, I eat gnats and camels for breakfast. Great. Let's recognize what the Powells did right here and let's be compassionate.

• ke7ejx REDMOND, OR
    Feb. 17, 2012 3:03 p.m.

"How can you feel sorry for a family that there loved one killed there two boys and then kill himself when he wasn't all there. I am glad that he isn't going to be buried next to the boys. I wish people would understand that this man was very sick and needed the help but wasn't willing to get the help and admit to what he did to his wife."

I can because Josh is the one who took a hatchet to his sons before blowing the house to kingdom come. His family did not. I can't even imagine the guilt they feel. Not to mention, as a follower of Christ, I could never make someone pay for what their relatives do.

• Flying Finn Murray, UT
    Feb. 17, 2012 2:31 p.m.

On the other hand writes, "The last thing they need is more derision from the peanut gallery."

Those unaffected by the actions of Mr. Powell can afford to be magnanimous and generous with their exhortation to show Christian compassion. If the shoe were on the other foot however and it was these people's children who had been so cruelly killed they might think twice before wanting the killer buried beside them. Frequently those who cry loudest for Christian compassion have the least of it themselves.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    Feb. 17, 2012 1:59 p.m.

Re: On the other hand | 10:12 a.m. Feb. 17, 2012
    "They're not going to try to bury Josh next to or even in the same cemetery as his victims."

Thank goodness they came to their senses. No one is blaming Josh Powell's family for his evil actions but they are questioning their judgement in wanting to bury a killer alongside his victims. The one who belongs beside her children is their mother.

Those who cry loudest for Christian compassion are the ones who would choke on a gnat and swallow a camel.

• On the other hand Spanish Fork, UT
    Feb. 17, 2012 10:12 a.m.

Rifleman writes, "Perhaps his family should give a bit of a break to the family of these boy's mother."

Those who read the story will know that the Powell family is doing just that.

Look, what Josh Powell did was atrocious. But directing your indignation toward his mother and siblings is counterproductive. They're not going to try to bury Josh next to or even in the same cemetery as his victims. If you can't muster any Christian compassion for these people, at least back off and leave them be. Josh and Steve Powell have caused them more suffering than you or I will likely ever experience. The last thing they need is more derision from the peanut gallery.

• Julianne North Salt Lake, UT
    Feb. 17, 2012 9:30 a.m.

RE: ke7ejx

• Furry1993 Clearfield, UT
    Feb. 17, 2012 9:28 a.m.

To MrsB1971 | 8:28 a.m.

One thing -- as K said, the grave sites were not "next to" each other. There was a significant separation between them.

• MrsB1971 Kissimmee, FL
    Feb. 17, 2012 8:28 a.m.

@ K

How would you feel if someone murdered a family member and then was buried next to them like nothing ever happened?

• K Mchenry, IL
    Feb. 17, 2012 7:20 a.m.

It's necessary to bury the dead. He is dead. Who cares if he is 25 feet away. Next to would be tacky but 25 feet away isn't next to. I do not see why he needs an entirely different cemetery. He will be buried next to somebody.

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    Feb. 16, 2012 10:59 p.m.

At least he did not claim to be going to medical school. He was one of the most wicked individuals I have seen and I think his father can take most of the credit for that.

• thoughtful observer Reno, NV
    Feb. 16, 2012 3:22 p.m.

I'm relieved to hear Josh will be buried elsewhere. My heart goes out to Terrica Powell. I can't imagine the depth of her sorrow to know that her grandsons were brutally murdered. By her son. As a mother myself, I cannot imagine anything worse. I'm sure she is in her own personal hell. Thank you for honoring your grandsons' final resting places as well as the Coxes' and the public's wishes. I hope you can eventually find peace over what has happened.

• Brahmabull sandy, ut
    Feb. 16, 2012 2:09 p.m.

I don't see how the Powells thought that anybody would want to be buried next the the murderer who killed them. How on earth could they have even considered that? Anybody else want to be buried next to the person who killed you? I didn't think so.

• annewandering oakley, idaho
    Feb. 16, 2012 2:00 p.m.

What a horrible situation for the family of Josh Powell. Can you imagine how terrible it would be to wonder every day what you could have done to prevent what happened? Not feeling any sympathy for Steven Powell but his exwife and children have suffered a great deal, I am sure. Their lives are changed forever. Josh and the kids, and probably Susan, have gone on to whatever rewards they have earned in this life but the rest of the family is still here to try to put together the pieces of their lives. Hopefully we can respect them and understand the difficulties they are undergoing and will always undergo because of what Josh did. Let's not blame them or condemn them for something they did not do.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    Feb. 16, 2012 1:49 p.m.

Re: On the other hand | 12:58 p.m. Feb. 16, 2012
    "Give them a bit of a break."

It is beyond insensitive to want to bury a cold blooded killer next to the children whose lives he took. Perhaps his family should give a bit of a break to the family of these boy's mother.

• Nan BW ELder, CO
    Feb. 16, 2012 1:35 p.m.

It would be so hard to be in the Powell family. They have to all have emotional issues stemming from being in a home with Steven Powell. I can't imagine what it would be like to be Terri Powell. Mothers love their sons, and want to believe the best, even when it is nigh impossible. I'm with those who extend them sympathy, despite the horrid things the two messed up men have done.

• On the other hand Spanish Fork, UT
    Feb. 16, 2012 12:58 p.m.

@gramma b, when you're as close to a situation as the Powells are to this one, it's hard to be objective. These people have suffered a lot. Give them a bit of a break.

• gramma b Orem, UT
    Feb. 16, 2012 12:01 p.m.

His sister, Jennifer, is the only one who seemed to consistently have a conscience. His sister Alina was blaming others for the murder of his children. His mother was writing letters a few months ago, trying to get those innocent children back into his clutches. How could anyone with half a brain have believed his nonsense story about a midnight camping trip that just happened to coincide with his wife's disappearance? As long as there was that much of a cloud over him, anyone with a conscience would not have tried to get the children into his clutches. Especiallly his mother, who knew about his previous suicide attempt, whom he had threatened with a knife, and who knew how unbalanced he was.

• ke7ejx REDMOND, OR
    Feb. 16, 2012 11:51 a.m.

I actually feel sorry for the Powell family. What he did was despicable, and I can't imagine how he could even do what he did, but it breaks my heart that his family is paying for his crimes. I don't support what the man did. I've been praying for the Coxes and their grief. But I also pray for the Powells. I am glad they decided to move him to another cemetery, as putting him next to his murdered children would be so wrong. But I also pray that they'll find peace in their hearts with time.

• NedGrimley Brigham City, UT
    Feb. 16, 2012 11:29 a.m.

In spite of his actions, he is still someones son and brother. You can still love someone, even when you don't love what they have done. Would anyone really think the original idea was any attempt by his family to be malicious? Obviously not since they have changed their minds. Lighten up a little and see the whole picture.

• Johnson72 Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 16, 2012 11:15 a.m.

The big question is.... Why it's family even think about something like that?

• Igualmente Mesa, AZ
    Feb. 16, 2012 11:12 a.m.

Bless you Terri Powell for doing the right thing. Your grief over the events wrought by your son are unimaginable to most of us. I felt you were slighted when Kirk did not mention your family as also suffering during his benediction at the boys funeral, but realize that you are carrying an incredible burden.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    Feb. 16, 2012 10:52 a.m.

Thanks Crimestoppers. I hope for the Powell family that they can find some way to be able to find closure with a terrible situation that thier son and brother brought upon them. What part or role that Steven Powell played in this tragedy is yet to be determined...and so I have to be sympathetic to his wife and daughters... for it is they who once again will severly suffer the stigmatic damage of the consequences brought upon them in all of this.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    Feb. 16, 2012 10:45 a.m.

Good.

• washcomom Beaverton, OR
    Feb. 16, 2012 10:42 a.m.

@ Rifleman - My thoughts exactly! Thank goodness people are still looking out for the best interest of the boys and their mother. This whole story has touched many, many lives. I'm sure there will be a good ripple effect from all of this.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    Feb. 16, 2012 10:04 a.m.

How about cremation? This would allow his family to keep his ashes at home. What this man did was pure evil and I certainly wouldn't him buried beside one of my loved ones.