Sports

Sharp shooters: As the men's game focuses on dunking, women are shooting free throws better

Comments

• Aggie238 Logan, UT
    Feb. 15, 2012 11:13 a.m.

Nothing at all against women's basketball (skills wise, they are certainly on par with the men, as demonstrated), but all the team shooting percentage numbers that are compared in the article are within statistical error, and can be largely accounted for by the difference in ball size. There is virtually zero difference between 134 teams shooting a given percentage and 131 teams. Perhaps an argument could be made for the top and bottom of the bell curves, but both of those are outliers in their respective gender categories anyway. If women are better free throw shooters, it's because they are shooting a smaller ball through a hoop of the same size.

• Pavalova Surfers Paradise, AU
    Feb. 14, 2012 5:55 p.m.

It's the ball silly.

• Ry Guy SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Feb. 14, 2012 2:04 p.m.

Have you ever played with a girls ball? I never miss with those things. When they switch to a real ball you can compare the two.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Feb. 14, 2012 9:34 a.m.

millerdu, Utah has been 76% from the line over the last 7 games, and was 94% last weekend.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 14, 2012 9:33 a.m.

Interesting article with a lot of qualified opinions. Well done. I agree the smaller ball has a mathematically better chance of going in and I do believe there is a difference when 10,000 people are screaming and yelling versus 1,000 or fewer.

• thebig1 SLC, UT
    Feb. 14, 2012 8:49 a.m.

Interesting, however in the top 16 players only 4 were females. I wonder why and what that means?

• millerdu PROVO, UT
    Feb. 14, 2012 6:33 a.m.

My take away from this is that the U of U men are the worst free throw shooters in the state! Nothing new in that!

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    Feb. 13, 2012 9:58 p.m.

Ball size is the main thing. Further, it seems to me that the women are more likely to be ladies and don't let their emotions get out of control as men often do. One might also add that they don't have a lot of fans behind the goal trying to distract them. Further, the men never use nail polish.

The women's game has gotten better and better. They can't beat the men in overall talent but they are just as fun to watch, maybe more. I love the BYU ladies team and wish I lived nearby so I could attend the games. BYU is fortunate to have coach Judkins running the women's program. You can tell the ladies love and respect him.