U.S. & World

Romney may be in danger in Michigan and beyond

Comments

• dumprake Washington, UT
    Feb. 11, 2012 10:12 p.m.

The quotes Eric provides in this article underscores the reason the founding fathers insisted the United States of America not be a democracy, but a republic. It's for these reasons the Seventeenth Amendment is so horribly bad, it eviscerates the states and eliminates an element in government that refuses to vote on "passion" "emotion". If voters are making their decisions on passion, emotion and fluff, then Obama is your guy, now and forever. Obviously, that stuff does not make good presidents.

• Wally West SLC, UT
    Feb. 11, 2012 4:34 p.m.

re: BYUalum 12:13 a.m. Feb. 11, 2012
    South Jordan, UT
    A Guy With a Brain: I agree with your thinking. Thank you for your remarks!

The Main Stream Media (including DN who published this) try continually to tell us what and how we should think about Mitt Romney. I listened to his cpac speech, and I thought it was great, inspiring. I think Mitt would make a great President of the United States. He's got all the credentials to do a great job. He is the complete antithesis of BHO who had no experience and only hype which he called "hope".

"I am deeply annoyed by the Darth Vader remark." I'm sure George Lucas is too; DV was interesting & charismatic.

"Look to God, seek his guidance not that of men... We need to save this country from economic ruin, and Mitt Romney has the knowhow to turn things around and help bring stability and strength back to this country. We must not continue to be fooled by slick reporters and politicians anymore. Please stand up to this, turn to God, and help save our great country!"

Mitt is yet another yahoo w/ an Ivy League sheepskin which makes him no different than the rest of Wall St & DC who have pushed this county to the brink.

What is Mitt supposed to do have Bain payoff China, get us in economic shape, then turn around and sell us to the highest bidder?

"Go Mitt Romney!" Where?

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    Feb. 11, 2012 4:26 p.m.

per LDS Liberal 10:15 p.m. Feb. 10, 2012

Thanks. I was thinking the same thing and wondering how this will play in Mitty's 'home' state?

per A Guy With A Brain 10:51 p.m. Feb. 10, 2012

The truth hurts!!? I fail to see how any of the descriptions you cite aren't in the ball park.

Though, calling Williard a pirate is unfair to Blackbeard, Jack Sparrow, Captain Morgan, etc... they all had personalities. Further, Buccaneers preferred Jamaica to the Caymans.

VC firms are nothing more than House flippers on a grander scale.

p.s. you did miss one crucial adjective... insincere.

• Pugman TREMONTON, UT
    Feb. 11, 2012 4:06 p.m.

I think folks it's time to face the music. That music is.....that America has become fat, lazy, and a society where people no longer want to think for themselves. There's no one on this blog that convince me that Obama should even have a chance at relection.....so why does he? Because most Americans anymore want to sit on their duffs and get a handout. And what's worse, they expect hard working, rich Americans to pay for it. This has been a plan put forth by the left years ago. The reason it hasn't worked until now is because you have to go through generations of people before anyone who ever resembles what America stands for is gone. Look at our schools, in a recent national poll, 77% of kids in high school believe that America gained it's independence in the cival war....Unbelievable!!! And we wonder what's happened. We are continually bombarded with policies that make evil seem good, and good seem evil. We're in trouble folks. But I know how this ends, so does many people. I'm greatful for a living God who will teach the inhabitants of the earth what happens when we forget him. I'll gaurentee you this....it's not a pretty ending for most. Call me a religious zealot or a kook all you want.....it's not going to change these facts. And while we're on facts....what makes a normal persons thinking tell him that he's entitled to the hard work and efforts of others. Get off the sofa and carve out a niche in our society for yourself.

• Howard Beal Provo, UT
    Feb. 11, 2012 12:22 p.m.

I agree with SLMG--the real Romney enemies are from "within".

• There You Go Again Saint George, UT
    Feb. 11, 2012 12:04 p.m.

A Guy...

So, people who don't agree with me or vote like I vote, are "TREASONIST"?

byualum

"...The Main Stream Media (including DN who published this) try continually to tell us what and how we should think about Mitt Romney...".

There is some crossover between OPINION and NEWS, at the DN, as well as most other "media".

Positioning the DN as "Liberal Press", might be "a bridge to far".

• SLMG Murtoa Australia, Victoria
    Feb. 11, 2012 11:50 a.m.

I keep reading on these comments that the "liberal" media is tearing Mitt Romney apart. Perhaps you all should take a closer look at Fox news and Rush & Hannity. Fox news is doing Romney no favors, the other mainstream media are much more balanced in their reporting.

• Howard Beal Provo, UT
    Feb. 11, 2012 11:09 a.m.

I support Romney say over the other three R candidates. However, Romney had never won over anyone. His candidacy was always a paper tiger at best. He was always vulnerable.

I think Santorum's poor performances in Florida and SC and Nevada actually helped him. He kept a low profile and concentrated his forces in CO, Misouri and Minnesota. Meanwhile Gingrich was torn apart by Romney's machine and basically by Newt himself. As for Ron Paul, he's a non-factor now, later a factor surely. But as this happened Romney hurt himself. And by flying under the radar for a few states and letting Romney look like a bully and out-of-touch mega- rich person, and letting Gingrich's own candidacy unravel (with plenty of help) he has emerged as the new "conservative" candidate and the alternative to Romney.

I think Romney is in trouble. Santorum, unlike Newt, has the looks. He isn't quite as grating. But sooner or later people will find out about him and why he lost his last Senatorial election by 18 points. There are significant reasons for that. He can't hide out forever and I think nominating Santorum will lose the R's the election.

• RShackleford Saint George, UT
    Feb. 11, 2012 10:02 a.m.

He (Romney) would have been better suited to be a cadidate on the Democrat Primary And I really think he could beat Pres. Obama there. He has a record in MA. Why are so many people still convinced he is somehow a conservative or a Republican?

• DonO Draper, UT
    Feb. 11, 2012 9:27 a.m.

Noonan nailed it. "Romney as better at dismantling than at mantling." I like his economic credentials but his plans and policies are worthless if he can't get elected. Romney's inability to connect with people (and I don't mean the far right wingnuts) could well cost him the nomination and, if he clears that hurdle, will almost certainly cost him the general election.

• Informed Voter South Jordan, UT
    Feb. 11, 2012 8:04 a.m.

I truly wish Romney could win, but Noonan hits the nail on the Noonan is looking for passion and purpose: A particular problem is that he betrays little indignation at any of our problems and their causes. He's always sunny, pleasant, untouched by anger. This leaves people thinking, 'Excuse me, but we are in crisis. Financially and culturally we fear our country is going down the drain. This guy doesn't seem to be feeling it..." Where is the indignation and evidence he will truly take on the left?

• Grammy3 SOUTH JORDAN, UT
    Feb. 11, 2012 1:40 a.m.

You know all of you who put nasty things on here because you must watch Fox news and listen to Rush and Hannity. I am sorry but I have a lot of faith in Mitt Romney and he will turn this thing around. He knocked the ball out of the ball park today with his speech at CPA and even got a few standing Ovations as well. So it is not over that is for sure.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Feb. 11, 2012 12:13 a.m.

A Guy With a Brain: I agree with your thinking. Thank you for your remarks!

I am deeply annoyed by the Darth Vader remark. How cruel and insensitive a comparison to a really good, honorable man. Will we allow the liberal press determine this year's election? I say, "NO!" Look to God, seek his guidance not that of men. We need to save this country from economic ruin, and Mitt Romney has the knowhow to turn things around and help bring stability and strength back to this country. We must not continue to be fooled by slick reporters and politicians anymore. Please stand up to this, turn to God, and help save our great country!

Go Mitt Romney!

• A Guy With A Brain Enid, OK
    Feb. 10, 2012 10:51 p.m.

So Romney is having trouble getting conservative Republicans to back him in the primary, eh?

Gee, maybe if the mainstream media portrayed him ACCURATELY and HONESTLY he wouldn't have this problem.

I'll be blunt: it makes me want to throw up when I see how the treasonist mainstream media relentlessly portrays Romney: "plastic", "fake", "inauthentic", "corporate pirate", "tax dodger", "out of touch", "liberal", "uncaring". Did I miss anything?

Is Romney perfect? Of course not. But I can guarantee you that he's nowhere near the dweeb the treasonist media portrays him as.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Feb. 10, 2012 10:15 p.m.

Let's see....

Michigan,
    Detroit
    Automobile Industry
    Unions Workers

"Let them fail" ~ Mitt Romney

Elect me, I have Millions in the Cayman Islands.

Mitt has no one else but Mitt to blame.

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    Feb. 10, 2012 9:56 p.m.

The GOP wants a candidate who can throw a tantrum at the drop of a hat OR who has charm and charisma----Mr. Romney can do neither. It appears the GOP does not like Mr. Obama, but they would rather have him re-elected than have one of their own be victorious.

• MAYHEM MIKE Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 10, 2012 9:38 p.m.

Let the tea party conservative "purists" go ahead and reject Romney in favor of no-compromise Santorum, and watch Obama roll to easy victory in the next election. This country doesn't need flag-waving "patriots" who think they're back in Concord, Massachusetts, but a smart, free-enterprise candidate who can reach across the aisle and consolidate the Democrats and Republicans and break the pathetic congressional stalemate that adversely affects us all.

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    Feb. 10, 2012 9:30 p.m.

It seems like we are going in cycles here. Romney dominates and the news is full of articles about his ability to organize and run a smooth campaign and how he has all but wrapped up the nomination. Then he loses a primary and all of a sudden, he is in big trouble. And then the challenger loses momentum after a few days. My guess is that the media is more interested in selling news than reporting it.

• no fit in SG St.George, Utah
    Feb. 10, 2012 8:33 p.m.

One cannot even say that Romney is a good actor. He simply appears annoyed and insincere in the majority of his speeches. He comes across with a "why can't all this minutia be over with so I can be inaugurated President". Sadly, Romney's behavior tends to remind one of Donald Trump and his goals. Mitt has everything else money can buy.....but the US Presidency.
    Watch Mitt as daily his frustration appears to increase.

• Well Read SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Feb. 10, 2012 8:00 p.m.

It seems to me that the Republicans have cooked the goose of whom ever they choose to run against the President. They have been the party of no for so long that much of the public is turned off. To add to that they are so fractured and the fight is taking so ling and there is so much blood spilt that the party probably will not gather around whom ever wins. It is either Romney is not conservative enough or one of the many that win here and there are too conservative. Or they have too much baggage. I expect and have expressed my opinion many times that the Republicans can not win this time around.

• DSB Cedar Hills, UT
    Feb. 10, 2012 7:26 p.m.

One of Romney's biggest battles is that despite being a turnaround specialist with every single endeavor he faces - by implementing free-market principles - every media outlet in the country repeatedly reinforces a false belief that he is not conservative, and always refers to his competition as the "conservative alternative" to Romney.

The guy said he would repeal or give waivers for Obamacare, would serve as a pro-life President, and will not raise taxes. What exact purity do they require? Every candidate has some non-conservative elements of his past. If Romney loses, I think it will be primarily because he has allowed the media and his opponents to establish and perpetuate the narrative, without direct challenge.

• UTAH Bill Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 10, 2012 7:13 p.m.

I don't think Romney even knows what he believes anymore. He seems to believe whatever the audience in front of him wants to hear.

• Cougar Blue N. Las Vegas, NV
    Feb. 10, 2012 6:56 p.m.

The Mitt just doesn't seem to be able to "connect" with the common man. Rumor is running strong that he may lose Maine also tomorrow, a place where he's always run strong. Are the wheels coming off?

• Brother Chuck Schroeder A Tropical Paradise USA, FL
    Feb. 10, 2012 6:08 p.m.

Now why would Romney be in danger in Michigan and beyond, oh I forgot, he's no Ike Eisenhower that got rid of all the illegals, nor will he ever be. The best Republican President since the 50's and all Eisenhower gets as general and president would be represented in stone on a smaller scale?. In the park, a statue of "Ike" as a boy would seem to marvel at what would become of his life. That will inspire us by Eisenhower's greatness?. The Grand Old Party has been going against the Constitution since the ReaganBushClintonBush-villes economics started with Reagan, with deregulated for kickbacks for the Koch Brothers and Grover Norquist, in their "Field Of Dreams," (of corn and sugar cane), with more corruption, and "crony capitalism." I guess us consumers like being forced to use this garbage ethanol fuel and live with all the damage and problems. It's time to tax the 1 percent and shut down all off shore tax safe-havens. Let Bush Celebrate Saddam Capture. The GOP are done in 2012. They'll see this at the polls. Blame this on your liberal icon Reagan.

• iron&clay RIVERTON, UT
    Feb. 10, 2012 5:49 p.m.

This Deseret News article is trying to brace it's readers for the facts to be revealed about Santorum's record in the Senate. His record is dissonant with the image of conservatism that he has, up to this point, been able to hide behind.

It is not Romney that dismantles his so called conservative opponents. It is their voting records for big governmant programs during their stay in Washington that breaks them into pieces.