Sports

BYU football: Cougars pick up 2013 commit from Bingham offensive lineman Keegan Hicks

Comments

• Don't Feed the Trolls Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 31, 2012 9:23 a.m.

Anarskow
    SALT LAKE CITY, UT

Keegan Hicks is not to blame for his statement/attitude. It starts at the top and I think some of the coaches and athletes at BYU should take a minute and realize they are not saving souls, but rather, just playing a game.
    --------------

Judging others is what is "holier than thou." Judge not, my friend. Judge not.

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    Jan. 31, 2012 9:18 a.m.

He sounds like a really intelligent young man. It is a mark of maturity and good judgment to change your views and make a commitment based on growth factors. I wish there were more young people who could have this kind of vision for their life.

• SUNNY ALL DAY Saint George, UT
    Jan. 30, 2012 9:53 p.m.

riverton cougar

Hines?

If your going to talk weak smack, at least get the kids name right.

• Anarskow SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Jan. 30, 2012 7:15 p.m.

The athlete in this article says something along the lines of "I'm excited to play football for the team that represents the church". He sounds like a good person and I'm glad that he is happy with his choice, but in my opinion his statement is incorrect.
    Obviously, BYU is a unique place that encompasses the LDS lifestyle. And quite often, the university fields very successful athletic teams. However, in my mind the two are not related.
    It's more than fair to say that the Mormon Church doesnât believe itâs judged based on the success or failure of BYU's athletic department. On the flip side, I doubt God mandates that one team should beat another because they ârepresentâ a certain faith. That notion is what fosters a "holier than thou" attitude and creates a dislike for BYU athletics by outsiders.

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    Jan. 30, 2012 5:50 p.m.

Elmer Fudd was known for being oblivious to reality.

Utah would have taken Hicks in a heartbeat if he'd been interested in Utah.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    Jan. 30, 2012 3:24 p.m.

"Obviously Utah didn't want him!"

Utah didn't want Hines, either. Or anyone, for that matter. Utah only wants what Utah gets, and are very glad that they didn't get what BYU got. Does that sum it up?

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Jan. 30, 2012 3:14 p.m.

@elmer fudd

Of course that is the predictable spin.

• Elmer Fudd Sandy, Utah
    Jan. 30, 2012 1:56 p.m.

@ Daffy Duck

""I was a Utah fan growing up and really didn't think BYU was where I'd play football if I was lucky enough to play in college," said Hicks."

"Don't let christina b, wedgie or howie read this. It will absolutely destroy their tenuous grasp on reality. This just isn't the way it works according to them".

Obviously Utah didn't want him!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Jan. 30, 2012 12:54 p.m.

Don't let christina b, wedgie or howie read this. It will absolutely destroy their tenuous grasp on reality. This just isn't the way it works according to them.

LOL!

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Jan. 30, 2012 11:34 a.m.

Good luck Keegan, you were a great leader at Bingham, on the field and in the locker room. Best wishes!
    Miner Pride!