Utah Jazz suffer disheartening loss to the Toronto Raptors, 111-106

• Anonymous Infinity American Fork, UT
    Jan. 27, 2012 4:57 p.m.

Unexcusable loss. Please foul someone, and let them go to the line and we get out of their in regulation with at least a one point win. Why didn't the Jazz start Kanter at center, for pete's sake? Number 15 hasn't got the size or the meat to play the 5 position. The team is lacking more bigs, as in 7 footers with some weight. Inconsistency in the backcourt and small forward is hampering the Jazz big-time. Jefferson is playing too many minutes. He won't last the compressed season at the rate he is getting banged up. Bring Karl Malone back to work with the bigs....and get some more bigs.....please.

• Sega South Salt Lake, utah
    Jan. 26, 2012 5:42 p.m.

We need a shooter. Hayward is not producing anything, Bell is hitting some, but not enough for a 2. CJ is playing well, but he has never maintained consistency throughout his career. Devin Harris can't hit a wide open free throw, or even get 10 assist.

I read the other day here that maybe Hornacek is part of the problem. To me it seems he's never really developed a shooter in any way. Bell has sucked, Hayward has sucked, Kirilenko was inconsistent, Korver was inconsistent, Miles struggles and so on.

I'm not going to sit and play coach here, but we do need to make some changes. We have a solid low presence but our shooting and P.G play are really holding us back. Either one of these guys need to step up, or we hopefully make a trade. Anything to get our front court more aggressive.

Makes me wonder how good this team would be if it still had an that one guy....

• Draft dumbie Farmington, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 2:59 p.m.

I'm not upset with the way the Jazz are playing. In fact, if they keep playing and progressing as well as they have been, I will not care either way whether the Jazz make the playoffs this year, or don't make the playoffs and get another lottery pick in the draft.

I was just disappointed that they didn't win the game, which was winnable with just a few small tweaks of the lineup, most notably, a substitution of one or two starters to stop Toronto's run in the late first/early second quarters, and a substitution of Miles for Hayward sometime near the end of the game--at least no later than at the beginning of the second overtime.

I was encouraged by Harris' improved play. Now if he could only regain his confidence enough to want to demand the chance to make a game winning shot, a la Deron Williams (or to make game winning foul shots). I think with this shortened season under his belt, and a full offseason, he is beginning to look like he could settle in and be the Jazz starting point guard for a long time.

Also, I hope the Jazz can figure out how to help Gordon Hayward regain his confidence--it seems to be at an all time low. I think the lockout not only hurt the development of the Jazz rookies, but also hurt the development of the Jazz second year players, as well. Perhpas the Jazz need to play him at the SG position where he has a size advantage over most other SGs, rather than at the SF position, where he does not seem to be very comfortable.

• Carnak Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 2:53 p.m.

Hayward needs to spend more time on the bench and let's see Burks. Shooting a poor percentage is one thing, being afraid to shoot is much more damaging.

• JBQ Saint Louis, MO
    Jan. 26, 2012 1:15 p.m.

If you are playing for the future with the "power pups", then you have to do a lot of experimenting. That is what Corbin is doing. In "Heart Break Ridge", Clint Eastwood had to freelance. You can't play to win with your best players when you are rebuilding. If you do, then you stifle development. So far, the Jazz do not scare the Lakers with their twin towers. Jefferson could not cope against them. Eventually, the "power pups" will take over and make Jefferson expendable. The bottom line is the need for a young long range point guard. That would probably be in the next draft. What's the story on Tomic?

• toddfromsantaana Santa Ana, CA
    Jan. 26, 2012 1:08 p.m.

Fortydam: The Jazz are not defending the 3 again. Penetration hurt the Jazz, Minnesota started to make 3s when this opened up. The Jazz rotation was JER like..Slow. No one is giving Gordon and Earl a pass. They did not have great games. I can bag on Harris for his short shots, and missed free throws. Even last season in close games, you need good point play. Devon has good skills. Again if he does not improve his shooting we are going to have a long February and March

• fortydam OREM, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 12:47 p.m.

It's hard to blame this one on anyone! That entire second unit looked flat. Those double screens they were setting had that second unit baffled. It's the first time I've seen Kanter lost on his defensive rotation. But he wasn't the only one, they were all struggling to defend. The zone also stopped them in their tracks again. This team better find someone with enough courage to shoot a wide open three. The last two quarters of this game were lost because the defense against the Jazz just packed down the middle and prevented anything in the paint. They weren't even trying to defend the perimeter. I think Hayward needs to either shoot his way out of the slump, or get benched. I've seen plenty of players shoot ten times before the hit a shot, Hayward will take all season to get out of this funk shooting six times a game.

I guess this loss was a real team loss, except for Millsap.

• The Great Houdini Rye, CO
    Jan. 26, 2012 11:40 a.m.

This is where a Korver or especially a Memo really earns his pay. Memo a big who can not only hit from outside but drags at least one big out with him.Millsap got pounded cause they all stayed inside knowing we have no one who can make a shot,no one.I keep thinking how good we could be with Memo,Brewer,Maynor and Williams,I know I`m livin in the past,I`ll get over it.sad

• Johnson72 Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 11:20 a.m.

I'm feeling like them McDonald's commercials... I'm loving it... It was toatally awesome.

• sportsfan2k10 Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 11:10 a.m.

I have an idea, Let's all freak out and trash the ESA and demand the Jazz trade all their players... Uhhhhh

Or wait here's a better idea, since the Jazz are 9-3 in January and lost all 3 of those games by a total of 11 points and lost two of them in OT, let's give them a break and realize that half of our team is below the legal drinking age!

These kids are learning and they are going to get much MUCH better with time and experience. All you haters are going to look really stupid in a couple of years, or maybe next year and possibly even this year.

07'-08' (Durant's rookie year): 20-62
    08'-09': 23-59
    09'-10': 50-32
    10'-11': 55-27
    11'-12': 15-3 (favorites to win the west)

It takes time to devolp good teams in the West. We are a year or two away from being SERIOUS contenders to win the NBA Finals. Everyone take a deep breath and chill the eff out. Thanks!

Jan. 26, 2012 11:10 a.m.

@ Hugh G Hater

You and I agree on one thing though and that is the point guard play. I think Harris is a good player, but a shoot first point guard. I think the Jazz should start Watson because he is a pass first point guard and then Harris could provide some offense off the bench. Play Harris about 20 minutes per game. That is what his role should be in my opinion.

• Iowa Jazz Fan 2 Cedar Rapids, IA
    Jan. 26, 2012 10:19 a.m.

When KOC drafted Hayward in 2010, to the howls and protests of many fans, he said: "Give him two years -- then you can judge him".

I liked the selection. However, in three months the two years is up. Gordon has a long way to go in three months.

• Hugh G. Hater Swat Lake City, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 10:01 a.m.

My comments about poor guard play have been consistent.
    As have others'.
    Blind loyalty doesn't always produce a good team.
    If the end product is bad, no one is going to show.

My issue is that there are certain trouble spots on the team that aren't
    getting any better and aren't being addressed by mgt. They get addressed
    here by fans when they lead to a loss . . .

Jan. 26, 2012 9:59 a.m.

I would like to see the Jazz get Darren Collison or Jarret Jack. Those are 2 good point guards who can pass the ball but are good shooters too. I also like Gary Neal on the Spurs. I don't think Mo Williams would be a good fit. He is another shoot first point guard, which we do not need. The Jazz could also use a player like Wes Johnson that the T Wolves have. He has size and can shoot the rock. Our interor is good, a big front line, just need to get some more shooters and more reliable perimeter players.

Jan. 26, 2012 9:29 a.m.

@ Hugh G Hater

Just funny how when the Jazz win it is all sunshine and roses, fine and dandy, but they drop a game and the world has ended. Fire the coach! Blow up the roster! Jazz fans are passionate but also completely ridiculous too.

• Doug10 Roosevelt, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 9:04 a.m.

Seems obvious Hayward should not have seen floor time during OT and arguably the 4th quarter.

Hayward is a facilitator but when none of the Jazz want to or are able to shoot the ball, it means all his fancy passes to Harris and Bell are worthless.

When Devin airballed a three during OT he and every other person in the arena knew he would not shoot the ball again. He then fell out of the group of people worthy to guard. In fact the Raptors had a hard time finding anybody worth guarding. Good thing they had two or three people on Millsap otherwise they wouldn't be able to say they played any defense. In Ot none was needed.

The Jazz are the second worst shooting team in the NBA. That means out of 360 players, there are 12 worse than the Jazz. How bad does it have to get before a change is made in shooting coaches?

The Jazz are able to play good defense but when crunch time comes and there is only one person on the floor opponents have to guard, it is a shame.

• Hugh G. Hater Swat Lake City, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 8:59 a.m.

Those who don't like hearing negative comments might want to refrain from reading them. I belive there is alot of sunshine and roses over in the religious section.

The 800lb gorilla in the room no one wants to face is the fact that no one apart from Millsap or AJ can hit a wide open field goal. The team cannot break the zone. Very few players can create their own shot.

Tough losses are fine as long as the team develops. The same impotent starters performing bad night in and night out are not leading to development.

Give Burks some time and let him increase his offense ability.

Jan. 26, 2012 8:30 a.m.

Typical Jazz fans.... Bashing Ty after a loss.

-I did not agree with the minutes Hayward played

-I would have had Miles in at the end with the rustiness of Josh Howard and the ineffectiveness or Hayward

-I would not have had Harris on the bench the whole second quarter when he was on fire in the first quarter

-I would have called a time out when Toronto started to come back from the 18 point deficit and put the starters back in...... However........

Ty has had line ups in all season that have at times made me question what he was thinking, and the line up comes through and the Jazz win. Corbin knows his team better than us. He will make mistakes but who would have thought the Jazz would have made the strides they have so far. This is probably not a playoff team so quit moaning and understand this is not the Jazz team we are used to. They will make mistakes and blow some games, but they will pull out some nice wins too. They will be fortunate this year to be an 8th seed. That said, the future looks good.

• Unlucky HEBER CITY, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 7:51 a.m.

Big frustrations are about to come. February and March are brutal and the Jazz are going to lose more than they win. Things have been good because of the easy schedule. Stars are not made by getting more minutes in games. Stars are made in the off season, look at how Malone, stockton, Kobe, Jordan improvrd yearly.

The Jazz have plenty of talent but only Milsap and Watson have shown the desire to become great. Milsap has become the Jazz's best player because of his work in the off season. He is far from having the most potential.

Hayward, Favors and Miles have lots of talent, but nonee of them will ever reach their full potential because they don't have the personalities to work hard in the off season. They say the do, but performance shows different.

I'm not bagging on them, but it is unfair for fans to put such high expectations on them. They will be serviceable pieces for years, just never reach the stardom fans expect. You can't expect them to compete for a championship without having the drive to out work everyone else in the off season.

Quit being critical, thaey are wilting under pressure.

• KD Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 7:32 a.m.

I agree with Fresno the game was shameful. The Jazz build an 18 point lead then the second string comes in and within a matter of a few minutes it's cut in half. Basic strategy would be to call a time out and pull the 2nd string out then put the starters back in who were hot when they were pulled out. But no, the 2nd string is left in until around 4 minutes left in second quarter and the starters have gone cold by now. What was Ty thinking?? Practice free throws for crying out loud and quit giving the opponents three and four shots every time they have the ball. A couple of the losses would have been wins if we would have made a couple more free throws and we were more aggressive on the boards. This is basic stuff and this is professional basketball. The Jazz need to start acting like they're pros instead of collecting a pay check.

• Hugh G. Hater Swat Lake City, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 6:52 a.m.

Hayward and Harris are killing this team.
    The starting lineup needs to change.

And yeah, give CJ a shot.

• ThatsSoUtah Fredericksburg, VA
    Jan. 26, 2012 6:42 a.m.

I only caught the second half of the game last night, but during most of that time I was wondering why Hayward was still in the game. It was pretty horrible. He hasn't been shooting great for the most part this season, but he can usually help out in other ways. It didn't seem that way last night. Even if Howard wasn't shooting well, he probably would have shot as well as Hayward did and not did as much damage elsewhere. For one of the first times ever, I think Miles would have been the best choice at that position late in the game. It was horrible to watch.

Jan. 26, 2012 6:36 a.m.

@ Todd- Well said, this loss counts for 2 losses

@gdog3finally- I agree about the fools gold, but I do think the Jazz are ahead of where we thought they would be. I also think the future is bright, they just need some more shooting from the perimeter and a more traditional point guard.

• Draft dumbie Farmington, UT
    Jan. 26, 2012 12:49 a.m.

I thought that CJ played well enough in the third and fourth quarters that he deserved to be in the game in the late fourth quarter and in the overtimes over Hayward, who was just awful.

Until tonight, Corbin has seemed to be going with the "hot hand" in most games, rather than going with the type of (awful) set-in-stone rotations for which Jerry Sloan was infamous. However, tonight Corbin subbed Harris out when he was hot in the first half, and subbed CJ out when he he was hot in the second half--both bonehead decisions on his part, in my opinion.

Even after Corbin frittered away a big first quarter lead with bad substitutions in the late 1st and early 2nd quarters, and even though the Raptors got some confidence and hit some lucky shots late in the game, I think substituting CJ for Hayward in the overtimes would have probably been enough to win the game--at least CJ is not afraid to take a shot, and he was playing great both offensively and defensively in the second half of the game. The Jazz only needed a couple of points here and there from someone other than Millsap in the overtimes to win the game.

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    Jan. 26, 2012 12:46 a.m.

Two words: Corbin Hayward. Both were awful tonight.

Why would you give Hayward almost 40 minutes on a night like that??? Sit him down.

While you give CJ a little over 20 minutes.

Corbin you need to wake up and realize that Hayward needs to sit for awhile. Watson wasn't much better tonight.

Why is everyone ripping on Harris. He actually played well for a change?

The comments are right in the fact that when Watson and Hayward mess up, everyone on here turns their backs and ignores their bad play.

• toddfromsantaana Santa Ana, CA
    Jan. 25, 2012 11:58 p.m.

Lot of good points. However, this is a loss to a (5-13) team you never get back. It is like 2 losses especially with all these Road games coming up. We have to deal with West and Terry Friday, lucky no Carter or Dirk. Lamar can shoot also. The problem brewing for several games has come back--not guarding 3s. Kleiza and Bargnani and Calderon are shooting 3 balls. Paul good as he was offensively was inconsistent covering the shooter. Gordon and Favors stunk especially Derrick. Devin is not a house of fire either. Devin cannot make winning plays down the stretch and in OT with his erratic shot, nor his poor foul shooting. Look at the games close we lose. He usually plays poorly at the end. We had no AJ then they had not Bargnani in Overtime either. Miles did enough he should have been in for Gordon who got too much rope. This was similar to how Toronto beat Phoenix. We cannot handle a zone

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Jan. 25, 2012 11:29 p.m.

As exciting as much of the season has been so far, I think it's been fools gold. The heavy home schedule will soon end and this time better find itself quick.

I was looking forward to watching young talent this year, and hoping it would develop with chemistry. So far I have been pleased, but have had more letdowns than I thought I would. That despite the Jazz having a better record thus far than I expected.

The problem is the talent shines bright at times and the potential is to great to be patient for me. But patient I must be. This Jazz team still has holes.

The SG and SF positions are still confusing me. Who to play where and who to be committed to? Hayward has taken a step back this year despite being a facilitator. Miles is still Miles to me. People are always trying to sell us on how he is still young and starting to take off. Not so, that ship has sailed. Bell fills a solid role, but is no longer a 30 minute a night guy. How many minutes should Alec Burks get? So many questions, so little answers.

The bigs are solid and deep. Still developing them while dividing minuted is tricky when nobody from the outside can knock down shots. The Jazz go inside out first. When teams zone up on them, they struggle to provide space for their bigs because we have no shooters. Zone defense on the Jazz is usually smothering with no respect for the outside. Things are different, yet the same.

Jan. 25, 2012 11:12 p.m.

What I am interested to see is how Utah plays the next couple of games. I will be watching:

1- Defense. The Jazz have played good defense this year, but tonight, they looked like the Jazz in recent years that could not guard anyone.

2- Hayward and Miles. Can Hayward pick it up? Can Miles continue to slash to the hoop?

There will be many other things I look at, but I just hope the Jazz do not have a mental break down and start back to their old ways on defense.

Jan. 25, 2012 11:07 p.m.

@Freson Jazz fan

You hit it right on the head. The Jazz were tentative to shoot down the stretch.

• Fresno fan clovis, Ca
    Jan. 25, 2012 11:05 p.m.

@ Jazzledazzle- I agree Howard was rusty, but he's a veteran and in a game like this i rather have him in than Hayward. Just seems like Hayward passes up on open shots and is hesitant with the ball...He gets to the rim and then passes up the shot. If anybody watched the game tonight, we had no go to guy besides Millsap. Nobody wanted to shoot, and when they did it was horrible.

• B Russ Ephraim, UT
    Jan. 25, 2012 11:04 p.m.

Harris played good tonight, but not when it mattered. Besides whats this one game in twenty some, against one of the worst teams in the NBA?

We need a point guard! Do you guys agree?

Jan. 25, 2012 11:00 p.m.

I still think despite a bad loss, the Jazz have exceeded some expectation to this point. I only had them winning 18-20 games this year. I did not think they would have their 10th win until sometime next month. That said, I will have a hard time sleeping tonight. I know, I care way too much about a game, but I love the Jazz. I think we all need to understand this won't be the last time this happens this year. The Jazz are going to make mistakes with a lot of youngsters, and the loss of D Will. However, at least the Jazz are entertaining, and win some games while rebuilding. The Jazz are a proud franchise. The Bulls just barely got relevant after MJ retired. He left Chicago 14 years ago....

Jan. 25, 2012 10:54 p.m.

I am defending Harris tonight. I will go on record to say I am not a huge Harris fan. I like him, he plays for the team I love, and I am as frustrated as every other Jazz fan about the blown free throws. I would even like to see a trade if the situation was right because I think Harris is a fine player, but does not fit the Jazz system. The Jazz need a pass first, run the offense point guards, and one who can set good off the ball screens. Again, I just think it is unfair to rip him apart tonight when there were plenty of other players who did not do their job tonight.

• ImaUteFan West Jordan, UT
    Jan. 25, 2012 10:54 p.m.

Pathetic effort at home after the 1st quarter.

The 3-point shooting on this team is abysmal. The airballs are utterly embarrasing.

Bad, bad loss tonight.

Jan. 25, 2012 10:50 p.m.

Boise Bill. I have not missed a Jazz game in 27 years. I have seen every minute Harris has played. I just find it funny that certain Jazz fans single out players (Boozer, Harris, Jefferson) and then go after them when the Jazz lose, yet when the beloved Hayward or Watson or Millsap (I love those guys too) do something wrong, they just look the other way. Watson screwed up a sure fast break near the end of regulation by show boating, Hayward was down right awful tonight, and collectively the Jazz played bad defense tonight. Devin Harris is not the reason the Jazz lost this game.

Jan. 25, 2012 10:45 p.m.

Hayward played awful, he kept fumbling the ball tonight and lacked confidence. Although I would have liked to see Burks get some more minutes (not in crunch time) I think Ty was trying to let Gordy get out of his slump. Not saying I agree or disagree but I think that is why Hayward was left in.

• Boise Bill Meridian, ID
    Jan. 25, 2012 10:39 p.m.

Jazz dazzle- it would be one thing if tonight was a fluke for Harris. He's been a horrible shooter ever since we picked him up. Have you been watching the last few games? He air balls at least two 3 point shots per game. Seriously?????? Doesn't he see what we all see- that they aren't falling and he should stop?

I wont argue about Hayword, but he's is still young and Harris is a former all star. You're talking apples and oranges.

• LVJazzFan Glendale, AZ
    Jan. 25, 2012 10:35 p.m.

Devin acutally had the highest shooting percentage (8-12 fg, and 7-11 ft) and had the most assists in this game. I realize the bandwagon wants Harris' head, but who are you going to get for him? Earl has been beasting it, but he struggled this game.
    The bench lost this game (including Watson) by letting the Raptors get back in the game.

• B Russ Ephraim, UT
    Jan. 25, 2012 10:35 p.m.

Hayward needs to realize he is getting paid to produce on the basketball court not on the x box!

Jan. 25, 2012 10:35 p.m.

@ Fresno Jazz

Put Howard in who was 0-5 tonight, coming off an injury and all rusty? He was very ineffective tonight. That was expected, he was out for a while.

I do agree though, what was Hayward doing in? Why was Harris on the bench the whole second quarter when he was in a zone.

Again, I think Ty has done a fantastic job this year, I did not agree with many things he did tonight, however, sometimes coaches are heroes for decisions they make, sometimes they look not so heroic.

My lineup at the end of the game would have been:

The reason I think you have to put Raja in is he did go 3-6 tonight with 11 points, but his defense, and Burks is a liability on defense and has an iffy outside jumper. I am not in love with Raja Bell, but considering the way Hayward was playing, and Josh Howard coming off an injury, that's what I would have done.

Jan. 25, 2012 10:30 p.m.

Boise Bill, you go right after Devin Harris who scored 24 points and got the Jazz the early lead. What about Hayward?? Jazz fans are unfair some times. Even the great Michael Jordan missed a couple clutch free throws from time to time. Harris played well tonight.

Jan. 25, 2012 10:29 p.m.

I don't know how everyone else feels about Devin Harris, but I personally feel that Earl should be playing more minutes. He just knows and runs the offense better than Devin. He's more of a true point guard and that is what the Jazz need right now. I admit that I didn't see the entire game, in fact I only saw the two overtimes, but Harris has yet to impress me and going 2-6 on free throws in the 2nd overtime certainly hasn't helped his case. I have yet to see him come through in the clutch for his team. Not that all the pressure should be on his shoulders, but he is the one who directs the offense.

Overall the Jazz played hard and that's what we should want to see as their fans. Toronto just made some incredibly lucky shots and we couldn't hit a free throw in the clutch to save our lives.

Jan. 25, 2012 10:27 p.m.

I know there are going to be a lot of frustrated fans and a lot of negative comments on here. This is a frustrating loss. I called the Bill and Spence show today and told them I was worried about this game. 4 Days of rest, and no Big Al worried me. Here are some observations:

- I know everyone is going to blame Devin Harris. His free throw shooting hurt us, but what about Gordon Hayward? At least Harris put up 24 and 6. Hayward was awful and I don't know why he was even on the floor.

2- Why did Harris sit the whole second quarter? The Jazz blow a lead, and Harris who was on fire sat until the last 3 minutes. I think Ty is doing a good job, but I did not like that move.

3- Earl Watson made the knuckle head play of the game. Down the stretch the Jazz are up about 5, they steal the ball, he tries to get cute on the fast break. He turns it over, then Toronto goes and hits a 3. 5 point swing right there. Earl has played great this season, he was terrible tonight.

4- Despite blowing the lead the Jazz were up 9 with 7 minutes left, and 3 with 17 seconds left. Calderon got a stand up 3 pointer? How does that happen?

5- The Jazz shot way too many jumpers and their offense was stagnant most of the second half. Their defense looked like last year's defense. They could not have stopped Greg Ostertag out of retirement the way they played defense.

6- So let's put this one behind us. It was a bad loss,. but hey, the Jazz won in Denver, that was not expected. Let's go steal one in Dallas, take care of Sacramento, and the Jazz will make up for this.

• Boise Bill Meridian, ID
    Jan. 25, 2012 10:24 p.m.

Fresno- you it it right on!

• FresnoJazz clovis, Ca
    Jan. 25, 2012 10:21 p.m.

This loss goes on the coaching staff, mainly CORBIN... You have Favors, no offense, Hayward- no offense, Bell-no offense. 3 of the 5 playing cant shoot...It was obvious in the 4th Q and in the 1st OT, that we were struggling to score. Miles and Howard, should have been in the game instead of Hayward and Bell. I don't know what the coaching staff was hoping for. BOO wasted game. And yes we do need a new point guard, I'm hoping we can trade for Mo Williams.

• B Russ Ephraim, UT
    Jan. 25, 2012 10:18 p.m.

The bench should have sore butts after this disappointing loss. Maybe they deserve more time there.

• Boise Bill Meridian, ID
    Jan. 25, 2012 10:18 p.m.

Devin Harris needs to go. Air balls and missed free throws are getting old.