Utah

Elizabeth Smart is engaged; summer wedding planned

Comments

• Craigo Ivins, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 10:02 a.m.

Congratulations! We love you Elizabeth. We love your example and courage!
    Glad to see that your life is full of healing from your terrible past.

• mightymite DRAPER, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 8:38 a.m.

Seriously, daddy had to hire a publicity agent to announce this? What are they shopping this around for a reality tv episode?

• raybies Layton, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 6:22 a.m.

And inspiring turn of events. May the happy new couple enjoy an eternity of joy and blessings.

• BirdmanKen Fishers, IN
    Jan. 24, 2012 3:14 a.m.

Nice to hear, but do you have to pilfer someone's Facebook account and put the pictures on a public web site?

• Brother Dave Livermore, CA
    Jan. 23, 2012 7:40 p.m.

Congratulations to both Elizabeth and her soon to be husband!!

God Bless you Both!!

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    Jan. 23, 2012 10:14 a.m.

Despite the periodic complaints, it appears that lots of people care. Right now this is the DN's most popular story. So the naysayers just do not get it. Elizabeth Smart's story is very meaningful and her overcoming the horrible things done to her gives hope to many.

• Anon 808 Waianae, HI
    Jan. 22, 2012 8:28 p.m.

Great Picture. It will be my bacground photo for awhile.

• St Gorgeous SLC, UTAH
    Jan. 22, 2012 3:05 a.m.

Seriously this is news? Who cares

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    Jan. 21, 2012 8:45 p.m.

I am glad to hear this news, but a little ambivalent if it is really good to put it in the paper. I would say that this article impresses me as a little less intrusive than the article in the other Salt Lake paper, and not as flawed as the article I saw from a national news service.

I am glad the newspaper is publishing news of someone who has been through trama in life, and I am glad that they did not push for too many details.

• JT4 Riverton, UT
    Jan. 21, 2012 4:03 p.m.

As a dad, I am beyond extraordinarily happy to hear that Elizabeth is getting married. My wife and I have hoped all along that her experiences would not stand in the way of her having a somewhat normal life. I echo CougarKeith's hope, however, that she might live in Scotland or somewhere outside of the U.S. That and a married surname might just be the ticket for her to put the past mostly in the past.

• nyca411 Menlo Park, CA
    Jan. 21, 2012 2:32 p.m.

This is wonderful news! I don't understand the negative comments about "the media needs to leave her alone," and "this story is not newsworthy..." While the media should not probe into her personal life, I think it is very productive and helpful to report on happy milestones such as her upcoming marriage, because it continues to remind others who have been victimized that, in spite of these horrible things, your life can continue to unfold in beautiful ways.

There is simply no way for Elizabeth Smart to just "disappear" from the media, especially if she continues to be public about her child advocacy work. But many people who have suffered horrible things in their lives do look to women like Elizabeth for reminders that these trials can be overcome. So, for those positive reasons, I hope Ms. Smart will continue to be in the media in a small way.

• Stagehand Council Bluffs, IA
    Jan. 21, 2012 1:50 p.m.

Elizabeth has been, unknowingly, pivotal in empowering my own daughter, who has been the target of a sexual assault... and yes.. my daughter's case has successfully moved through the legal system.

My daughter has repeatedly stated that Elizabeth Smart gave her to courage to move forward.

Blessings to Elizabeth and her fiance! This is such wonderful news!

• CougarKeith Roy, UT
    Jan. 21, 2012 12:57 p.m.

If that's his picture, he looks like a little kid compared to her..... Of course they won't post this message, but it's a cute picture. Why have we made her such a "Magnifying Glass" girl? She went through a really tough thing, still graduated from high school, went on a foreign Mission, works with kids, and the press follows her around like a bunch of blood hounds keeping a nosey public informed of her every move. I hope she marries and moves to Scotland or France or wherever she can be just another face in the crowd. She doesn't deserve for the public to treat her this way, she probably doesn't want it, and she most likely forgives you all but has her moments. Leave the poor woman alone! Let her get married, have kids, be in love, and have her LIFE BACK! She has turned out to be a wonderful girl probably because of her experiences and she probably has understood section 122 of the D&C more clearly than most people. She probably lives it, and lives her life for the goals of eternal life in spite of the VULCHERS who swarm her constantly here in Utah!

• AlpineCougarFan Alpine, UT
    Jan. 21, 2012 11:11 a.m.

We are very proud of Elizabeth and very happy for her decision. This is great news and we pray for her utmost happiness. I am sure that if Matthew Gilmour were not a great young man Elizabeth would have nothing to do with him. I just hope he realizes that there are probably thousands of "surrogate" brothers out there that expect him to always treat her like a queen and always make sure that she is well taken care of all the rest of her life. She deserves it.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 21, 2012 10:37 a.m.

Best wishes to them both. She is truly a heroine in my book.

Now leave that girl alone and let her get on with her life.

• CP Tooele, UT
    Jan. 21, 2012 5:45 a.m.

I think that's wonderful. I am so happy for her. Congratulations Elizabeth:)

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Jan. 21, 2012 1:41 a.m.

RSLJAZZBYUUTAH,

Why read the article and comments if you don't care?

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 20, 2012 10:48 p.m.

I am happy to read about this. While I hope no one is overly intrusive, Elizabeth's story is inspirational.

Best Wishes

• Rob Logan, UT
    Jan. 20, 2012 10:41 p.m.

Congratulations! So very happy for both of you.

• Marilyn Lindon, UT
    Jan. 20, 2012 10:40 p.m.

Congratulations, Elizabeth!

• K Mchenry, IL
    Jan. 20, 2012 8:18 p.m.

We are thrilled to keep hearing how her life is truly hers again.

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    Jan. 20, 2012 8:06 p.m.

We don't have to know everything, but I do appreciate knowing about Elizabeth's mission and now her marriage. We didn't follow her on her mission, we won't follow her in her marriage. But we did follow her when she was lost and returned and our hearts rejoiced when she was found. Our hearts rejoice in her serving a mission, in her speaking out and creating a foundation and in her finding love. By Elizabeth being willing to be seen, she has shown that a person can go through a great trial and rise above it. This is one more victory for her and for those that wonder if they could ever survive their personal trials. Thanks Elizabeth for your maturity way beyond your years and best wishes for you.

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 20, 2012 7:53 p.m.

Congratulations and best wishes to two fine young people seeking to live a normal life after Ms. Smart has endured years in the spotlight.

Henceforth, no story should ever again refer to her ordeal or the crimes commited against her. That is the past, and should be left there, not flogging her (or her fiance/husband) with ancient history which was no fault of her own.

When there is a wedding announcement, it should be the same as any other couple, and readers might be left wondering "That name is familiar, is the the same person I used to read about?"

May they enjoy a long and happy life together, out of the limelight.

• Jacob's Dad LOGAN, UT
    Jan. 20, 2012 7:49 p.m.

I always wonder why someone would take the time to click on an article, read it, post about it, and not care a thing about it. Elizabeth Smaret will go down as one of the great women in United States history. I love what she is doing to protect our daughters and children everywhere. Best wishes to the happy couple.

• Munk Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 20, 2012 5:48 p.m.

Way to go! I wish them both a long and happy marriage! I can understand the medias interest in this as it is one of the few good news stories that really has an impact. After negative this and that, this is a good change.

• Anti Bush-Obama Washington, DC
    Jan. 20, 2012 5:26 p.m.

If she stubs her toe. will the media report that also? Leave her alone you vultures.

• kargirl Sacramento, CA
    Jan. 20, 2012 4:40 p.m.

The announcement to the media may be to prevent more intrusion. Enough about them...

Congratulations to Elizabeth and her young man! May they find the happiness and joy, peace and contentment in great measure than they deserve!

• Montana Mormon Miles City, MT
    Jan. 20, 2012 4:08 p.m.

It's time to let her have her privacy.

• PAC Phoenix, AZ
    Jan. 20, 2012 3:34 p.m.

Well, I was having a bad day today, but I guess all is right in the world today after all. Good luck and to the lucky guy..you have a great gal.

• Theeng2 Holladay, UT
    Jan. 20, 2012 3:12 p.m.

It's cool that she's getting married but, the media shouldn't make this a story in my opinion.

• photographermom South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 20, 2012 3:12 p.m.

Lucky guy! She seems like an amazing young woman, best of luck.

• Sparky908 Yakima, WA
    Jan. 20, 2012 3:05 p.m.

I agree with Utah Girl. Thanks for sharing the good news. Take your Mom's advice and make sure your marriage is a path with your eyes looking forward. You deserve the best this life and marriage has to offer. My prayers are with the new husband, he's going to have to stand tall to keep up with this girl. She might be only 24, but has the experience and wisdom past her age.

Best wishes Elizabeth, continue to make us proud.

• NedGrimley Brigham City, UT
    Jan. 20, 2012 2:27 p.m.

Johnson72: "The media should not probe into her every aspect and move of what she does in life.. Leave her alone."

I would agree wholeheartedly, Johnson, except for:

"Elizabeth Smart is engaged to marry, a family spokesman confirmed Friday. A summer wedding is planned, said Chris Thomas of the Salt Lake public relations firm Intrepid Group."

If the family "spokesman" from a local "public relations firm" makes the announcement, seems like it wasn't your basic intrusion into personal affairs...

• Intel BYU Cougar Fan Cedar Hills, UT
    Jan. 20, 2012 2:15 p.m.

Great for her, hope she has a fantastic wedding and a full life, she deserves it.

• mecr Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 20, 2012 2:04 p.m.

Congratulations!!!! She deserves the best of the best!

Now, if everybody just forget about the creep on jail and dedicate this board to congratulate to her, it would be awesome, don't you think?

I think we should all forget about that guy. That will be the best punishment ever.

• Kathy. Iowa, Iowa
    Jan. 20, 2012 1:57 p.m.

Very glad to hear about her upcoming wedding. Best wishes

• washcomom Beaverton, OR
    Jan. 20, 2012 1:29 p.m.

Best wishes, hope and happy years to come. Congratulations to Elizabeth and her future husband!

• MapleDon Springville, UT
    Jan. 20, 2012 1:23 p.m.

@Cats and @Euroskeptic

Yeah. Same person. Living well is the best revenge? Whatever.

Same goes for the comments hoping that the media will respect their privacy. Really? Think for a moment. Who told the Deseret News about the engagement? A little bird?

• Mimi Venice, CA
    Jan. 20, 2012 1:17 p.m.

I'm so very, very happy for her. Let's all step back, now, and allow her to live a peaceful, fulfilling life.

• JWB Kaysville, UT
    Jan. 20, 2012 1:17 p.m.

You are so blessed to have parents and family that have adored you since birth and went to the ends of the earth to find you. Our prayers were answered that day in 2003 when you were finally identified. Our prayers will be with you as it takes everyone on earth and Heaven to get us through this life. Thanks for all your work since then and example to us and for us. Your work will bless others and your will and desire to live is a sacred blessing you have shown to us and is possible for us also. God bless you and your family.

• awsomeron Waianae, HI
    Jan. 20, 2012 1:14 p.m.

I just agree with everyone else. It makes my day, I hope she has a wounderful life.

I hope we will here from her often, as she is that type of peson that stays in the media. In her case its in a good way.

Adjusting to a Marriage is hard and the more baggage you bring it the harder it is. In the end it is all in how you handle things.

What matters most is family.

I wish them both a long and happy life.

• Lasvegaspam Henderson, NV
    Jan. 20, 2012 1:07 p.m.

Best wishes to you, Elizabeth. Congratulations!

• Johnson72 Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 20, 2012 12:37 p.m.

I agree... The media should not probe into her every aspect and move of what she does in life.. Leave her alone.

• Utah Girl Vernal, UT
    Jan. 20, 2012 12:36 p.m.

Best wishes to you. And yes, you have the right to privacy so I hope everyone will respect that. You are amazing, Elizabeth. I hope you have a wonderful marriage, and not let anything that happened during those awful months have a negative effect on your new relationship. Forward...always forward.

• RSLJAZZBYUUTAH Syracuse, UT
    Jan. 20, 2012 12:31 p.m.

Who cares anymore? Her story is finished, justice was served, I don't really care about it anymore.

• ciaobello Concord, CA
    Jan. 20, 2012 12:15 p.m.

How wonderful. Smart is an amazing woman and deserves happiness. All the best.

• On the other hand Spanish Fork, UT
    Jan. 20, 2012 12:09 p.m.

Best wishes to Elizabeth and her fiancé. I hope the media will respect the couple's privacy.

• Euroskeptic Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 20, 2012 12:07 p.m.

Very happy for the couple to be. True proof that the best revenge is living well!

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    Jan. 20, 2012 11:53 a.m.

Good for you, Elizabeth. I hope Mitchell finds out about it immediately. Living well is the best revenge!

• Arynen Midvale, UT
    Jan. 20, 2012 11:51 a.m.

Congratulations to the couple, but I'm wondering if the media should really be getting involved in this part of her life. Doesn't seem right to me.

• willow Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 20, 2012 11:36 a.m.

Truly an amazing girl, wishing her all the happiness she deserves!