Utah

Canyons board rejects student vote, adopts Chargers as Draper mascot instead of Cougars

Comments

• Turk Turkelson WEST JORDAN, UT
    Jan. 19, 2012 4:47 p.m.

Corner Canyon COYOTES sounds better than Chargers.

• yankees27 Heber, Utah
    Jan. 19, 2012 5:14 p.m.

Wow, derogatory to women? BYU of all schools should change their name then. What about the Beaver Beavers? Yes, that is really their name, as well as Oregon States. Just because some juvenile minds use certain language or terminology to describe body parts or individuals, doesn't mean everyone should have to change for them. This story is so stupid, I can't even believe it. I saw it first on the homepage of Foxsports today, embarrassing to the state that small minds can be affected this way. On the other side of the coin, the Chicago Cubs will need a new name as well. Way too much PC stuff going on in the world, it's almost like people don't have anything else to do with their time but think of ways that they are, or could possibly, be offended.

• eagle Provo, UT
    Jan. 19, 2012 6:02 p.m.

Give me a break...will the stupidity never end? I mean, I'm okay with Chargers but no need to nix Cougars because BYU has that mascot (didn't bother Union HS) or because "cougars" are older women that love to hook up with younger men. I mean to most people cougar is a large cat that can be ferocious, or I guess something that would make sense as a mascot.

• Dark Reaver SOUTH JORDAN, UT
    Jan. 19, 2012 6:13 p.m.

So it's fine that a church backed school can victimize women. That's all I get from that decision.

• MR Draper, UT
    Jan. 19, 2012 6:14 p.m.

First, Corner Canyon Chargers is NOT alliteration ... as was the claim by the administrators who chose it. It doesn't even sound catchy. My kids can't stand that name. Second, I mountain bike in that canyon all the time and I have seen both Diamondbacks (our favorite) and Cougars. Never seen any War Horses. Draper High Diamondbacks sounds WAY better. So disappointed in the choice.

(And we look really dumb to the national media ... again).

• MR Draper, UT
    Jan. 19, 2012 7:06 p.m.

And yes I know that technically it is alliteration as they start with the same letter, but they are not catchy or the same sound. Just lame. Is the fact it starts with a "C" a reason to disregard the votes of those that live in the community? At least pick something in the top three choices.

• John Charity Spring Back Home in Davis County, UT
    Jan. 19, 2012 7:20 p.m.

This decision is proof positive that left wing extremism has infiltrated the education system to an alarming degree. Indeed, this is political correctness at its worst.

This left wing doctrine teaches that everything dealing with education must be reduced to the blandest possible level so that no possible offense could be taken by any possible person. Thus, a mascot name that merely represents a powerful creature of nature is suddenly transformed into a symbol of unrestrained sexual deviance. There is something wrong with an administrator who would react to a students suggestion of this mascot with thoughts of sexual activity between lustful older women and impressionable young men.

It is time for parents to stand up to this doctrine of political correctness that turns even the most benign of activities into artificially controversial subjects. Let this school have this honorable mascot.

• trekker Salt Lake, UT
    Jan. 19, 2012 9:29 p.m.

so their mascot should be a visa card. chargers name suggests you are not financially responsible.

• Claudio Springville, Ut
    Jan. 20, 2012 5:45 a.m.

Re: JCS? Just how did you get left wing extremism out of this? More than likely the concerned parents come from the predominant religion of the state...highly doubtful they'll be left wing extremists even if they don't believe with the single party that represents Utah politics.

Also, being a member of that dangerous, extremist left wing, I can assure you that I read the "doctrine" and didn't find any mention about making education the "blandest possible level." This is simply a few parents who probably made up the excuse simply because they didn't want to be associated with the BYU Cougars...they are from the SLC Valley after all!

Sheesh. Now that the ridiculous non-political political story is over, on to the rest of the day.

• satch Highland, UT
    Jan. 20, 2012 7:08 a.m.

I think the board is being a little too sensitive. Chargers??? Seriously. I agree with the comment before. Their mascot can dress up like a visa card?

• jesarto HERRIMAN, UT
    Jan. 20, 2012 7:40 a.m.

While, I do agree that it is best not to duplicate mascots in the same area, the rest of the arguments are idiotic.
    The Canyons District was started by misguided intentions and they are just continuing the tradition.

• Beaker Draper, UT
    Jan. 20, 2012 8:17 a.m.

Chargers is the perfect name for this demographics. I'm always charging things on my credit card to try and out-do my fellow Draper neighbors. Da da da da da da...Charge!!!!!!! Can't wait to hear that at all the games.

• RD1025 Springville, UT
    Jan. 20, 2012 8:34 a.m.

I don't understand why they put it to a vote, and then told the students your vote doesn't mean anything. We are going to cave to the squeaky wheel. Great start to a new school.

• armchairQBonthehill Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 20, 2012 9:35 a.m.

Chargers? Wow I can't think of a more unique mascot for a school anywhere.

That table decoration (large flat dish or platter for those of you that don't know)! Really?. . talk about ridiculous. I can't believe the bright folks in Draper who were overly concerned about the negative image the 'Cougar' would be for their cheerleaders daughters, didn't think how utterly idiotic having a dish for a mascot would be.

Now the students will chargers in the stands or better yet throwing them like a frisbee! Sure will make for a frightful sideline mascot - - - can't wait to see the plate all furry with a smiley face on it!!!

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Jan. 20, 2012 9:38 a.m.

@Dark Reaver

I'm as big of a Utah fan as there is, but come on...by being called the Cougars BYU is victimizing women? Get serious. Newsflash: BYU was called the Cougars long before it came to mean a middle-aged woman who picks up younger men in a bar. Should we demand that USC change their name too?

Criticize BYU all you want, but their name is fine and should stay.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Jan. 20, 2012 9:48 a.m.

The first mistake was not naming the school Draper High School. The Canyons adminstration deserves all the criticism they are getting because they are complete bufoons on so many levels. Draper High school starts out with bad publicity because the Canyons school district is run by incompetent people with no grasp of reality. How embarrasing they are, and what a shame they've continued to make poor decision after poor decision. Dr. Doty needs to be replaced NOW!

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    Jan. 20, 2012 10:24 a.m.

Something is wrong with all choices, depending how you view them. Diamondbacks...great, all the students would be snakes. Falcons and Raptors...they're just hawks looking to kill something off. There's nothing wrong with Cougars; I didn't assume anything negative until the School Board brought it up.

And I agree that they should have named the high school Draper High. When school #2 rolls around in town then get creative but let the city show its pride by having its own namesake school.

The Canyons was ill-thought from the start and they continually reinforce that ineptness with nearly every move they make.

• Laurels Sandy, UT
    Jan. 20, 2012 10:49 a.m.

If the district desired a unique mascot...one not used by another Utah high school...then "Cougars" should never have been on the ballot that was sent to students.

A basic tenet of Love and Logic Parenting is that a parent never gives a child any choices they can't live with once the child chooses from the alternatives given. The same wisdom applies to school boards soliciting public input on HS mascots.

Not only did the Board overlook the top vote getter, it bypassed 2nd, 3rd and 4th place. Why did the Board go through the charade of a vote if it was going to ignore the top four recommendations? So they could claim they solicited public input?

There are valid concerns with Cougars: 1) Kearns High already has that, and 2) the BYU/Utah rivalry might be problematic. The secondary meaning of "Cougars" is a side show that has been blown out of proportion by the press for an eye-catching story of PC-ness run amok.

The real issue is why the Board put options on the ballot it wasn't willing to live with. Ignoring the 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 4th top picks doesn't make for good PR!

• Laurels Sandy, UT
    Jan. 20, 2012 11:13 a.m.

@Johnny Triumph:

You're from American Fork, "Caveman" territory. School mascots are interesting, aren't they? As you note, there is something wrong with all choices, depending how you view them. Some negative connotations could also be found to accompany the Caveman mascot if one is creative. But students tend to rally around their mascot and develop a loyalty for it. Case in point: Jordan High when it had the opportunity to vote out "Beet Diggers" and didn't.

Canyons District has not handled the mascot name for its new high school very well.

But to equate this with total ineptness in every aspect of how the district is being run is quite a jump. The Canyons District regularly has visitors from districts across the state and the nation visiting its leaders to cull information about the academic initiatives it has implemented. Canyons is doing some exciting things to increase academic rigor and college readiness of its students. It would be better not to make overarching generalizations.

• Dark Reaver SOUTH JORDAN, UT
    Jan. 20, 2012 11:29 a.m.

Brave Sir Robin,
    The point was that it's considered PC incorrect for the HS to use Cougar's because it supposively victimizes women, yet not incorrect for BYU. Regardless for how long the mascot has been in place. I have yet to see anyone representing BYU say the same about their use of the mascot. In my view that's a double standard.
    BTW, Monty Python rocks. Love the screen name.

• Dark Reaver SOUTH JORDAN, UT
    Jan. 20, 2012 11:52 a.m.

Something I forgot to add to my last post. I'm not a follower of any Utah college team. I'm a dedicated Hurricane's fan.
    Also, I don't even see "Cougars" as disrespectful. The PC stuff is out of control, and this issue just makes Utah the joke in US media AGAIN. I haven't noticed it, correct me if I'm wrong, but as of yet Women organizations have not came out and decried "Cougar" as offensive. Unless or until so, it's a non-issue. As far as I'm concerned, if churches don't protest the name, which are usually the most women supportive(Usually, but not always)then why should a school district which are suppose to be faith neutral.

• ProudFather Draper, UT
    Jan. 20, 2012 12:28 p.m.

@ Turk Turkelson

I like Coyotes! Since it used to be a cornfield, I also like the name Cornhuskers, and it would keep up with the fun and creative names in the valley (Beetdiggers, Miners, Cavemen...)for a tounge twister, I'd like the Corner Canyon Candy Corns (say that five times fast). I can picture the football uniforms now. I also wish that it was named after the city rather than the "elite" area in Draper. It sound like it belongs to that section rather than for the city as a whole.

• Topher Herriman, UT
    Jan. 20, 2012 1:33 p.m.

I like how they had the school kid's input and then clearly trumped them to change the name without their input. Who in the Canyon School Dist. was offended by the mascot?

• spartaman Sandy, UT
    Jan. 20, 2012 1:44 p.m.

asking kindergartners to vote? I'm surprised they didn't choose to be "The Purple Monster Eaters"

• floridadan Palm Bay, Fl
    Jan. 20, 2012 2:15 p.m.

OH BROTHER !! Sorry, I guess that is sexist.

• Old ball coach Sandy, UT
    Jan. 20, 2012 6:16 p.m.

First off....Beetdiggers and Miners are well over one hundred years old....canyons had nothing to do with those. I liked Chargers or Cavaliers, but Draper Diamonbacks would have been my pick!!

• Dark Reaver SOUTH JORDAN, UT
    Jan. 20, 2012 8:16 p.m.

The sad thing about this issue is, a public entity allowing future voters to partake in a right we adults exercise as a part of being American citizen, and then with callus disregard strip it away. Pathetic, the impression left in the mind of our future leaders given a lesson in the corruption of government before even turning 18. Hope the school district is proud of it's actions.

• eagle Provo, UT
    Jan. 20, 2012 10:22 p.m.

So what did the STUDENTS vote for again? Go with that and keep the adults out of the stupid PC garbage!!!

• sportsfan21 OREM, UT
    Jan. 24, 2012 8:50 a.m.

Floridadan,

I never thought of that. You're exactly right. Let's change that saying to "Oh nongender-specific sibling."

Good call on helping us all be politically correct. By the way, I'm a Pine View High Grad and I think we should change that mascot from Panther to avoid negative connotations to Malcom X's civil rights movement. Let's go with the 5th option of "Fighting Apricots."

i'm serious though, I really enjoyed your comment.