Utah

Mike Winder to enter race for Salt Lake County mayor

Comments

• rsi Payson, UT
    Jan. 18, 2012 4:41 p.m.

The Deseret News unwittingly published pieces written by Mayor Mike Winder under false pretenses hailing West Valleys successes during his tenure. The paper has since printed several articles so laudatory they couldve been written by Winder himself. A week ago, an article enumerated many accomplishments of the city under Winders care, as described by the mayor (1/10/12). Worse was the article that announced Winders promotion of his new book to third-graders, telling them why Its Fun to Be the Mayor (11/28/11). Notably missing in either article was any mention of Winders deception. Now weve learned that Winder is running for mayor of Salt Lake County. No apparent repercussions for dishonesty and duplicityit must indeed be fun to be the mayor.

• 1conservative WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Jan. 18, 2012 1:07 p.m.

I actually had high hopes that Mayor Winder would start to slow down, (or even reverse)the growth of government in WVC when he was elected.

That hasn't happened, actually things continue to get worse.

In WVC, the "leaders" think if they can dream it up, WE can all pay for it.

When WVC, was initially formed (30 yrs. ago)we were PROMISED that the total city budget would be financed through utility franchise fees.

So much for "promises"!

City leaders always run as Republicans, but in the case of WVC, that label doesn't equate to anything resembling SMALLER GOVERNMENT.

If the residents ever get the chance to dissolve WVC, I'm sure they'd vote to go unincorporated with S.L. County.

No, I don't see any reason to support Mike Winder for county Mayor. We need someone who will REDUCE the size of local government, NOT grow it.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    Jan. 18, 2012 11:12 a.m.

Will he use a nom de plume?

• Once Upon A Time Salt Lake City, Utah
    Jan. 18, 2012 9:49 a.m.

Well he does look sweet in the photos I've seen of him. But he does have ethical problems (Burwash). I don't think I could vote for a man like that. I feel sorry for the people in West Valley City who now have to put up with him as their mayor.

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 18, 2012 9:30 a.m.

I would be much happier listening to Winder announding that he is resigning from the WVC Mayor job due to his ethical problems, than hearing he wants to jump up and do for SL County what he has done for WVC.

He is a poster child for the kind of politicians we should not be voting for.

• UTAH Bill Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 18, 2012 8:47 a.m.

Who's this Winder guy? I'm voting for Burwash.

• sodiedog Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 18, 2012 8:37 a.m.

So, Gabi, you think those of us living in Salt Lake are anti business?

• Gabi West Jordan, UT
    Jan. 18, 2012 7:47 a.m.

I'm relatively new to politics, but Mike Winder seems like the type of guy to make things happen. He appears to be pro-business and I think that is what Salt Lake County needs.

• Ok Salt Lake City, Utah
    Jan. 18, 2012 7:13 a.m.

Winder in the race? That's Burwash, we've had enough WinderWords. We would do much better if we could convince Jon Huntsman to run.

• RBN Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 18, 2012 6:36 a.m.

Can you trust that he won't disclose confidential information like he allegedly did in the Utopia libel case? Ask Richard Burwash.

• Nan BW ELder, CO
    Jan. 18, 2012 6:22 a.m.

What a fine example of "integrity" to be in a more powerful position. I hope the voters will remind him of his crazy promotional tactics by not supporting his quest.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Jan. 17, 2012 10:29 p.m.

But.....can you trust what he says? I mean, he loves WVC and that's on the West Side. Now suddenly (or not so suddenly) he wants to represent all sides.