Sports

Fans earn free frozen dessert as BYU downs San Francisco, 81-56

BYU fans earn free frozen yogurt as the Cougars gained an easy win against San Francisco

Comments

• Cougarista Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 9, 2012 5:26 p.m.

I hope Coach Rex Walters learns that when you are down by 25+ points with under 72 seconds left, you don't call time out twice. If you do, you should not object to the BYU 2's and 3's shooting the ball.

• factcheck Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 9, 2012 4:17 p.m.

Memo to PAC 12 fans. (I don't say Ute fans, because all I see is PAC12 window decals) San Francisco may not be a powerhouse, but they were able to beat Northern Arizona by 19, the same NAU that beat the mighty Arizona State SunDevils.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Jan. 9, 2012 3:07 p.m.

I'll take playing WCC teams over not even making the church ball region tourney any day. LOL

• Eddie Syracuse, UT
    Jan. 9, 2012 2:40 p.m.

If Old ball coach's team is the u, then their season was over with before it began.

• TrollPolice Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 8, 2012 10:51 p.m.

Old ball coach

"Yawn......wake me up in March!!"

No need to; your season will be over before March Madness begins.

• BYUHOCKEY American Fork, UT
    Jan. 8, 2012 9:35 p.m.

i wouldn't call it an easy win but an "earned win". byu played more cohesively than usual. hopefully this is a trend now. they have had ups and downs as they adjust to a seemingly ever changing roster due to injuries and recoveries. keep up the great hustle and teamwork. Go Cougars!

• Old ball coach Sandy, UT
    Jan. 8, 2012 8:48 p.m.

Yawn......wake me up in March!!

• azamatbagatov Lehi, UT
    Jan. 8, 2012 6:27 p.m.

@Honor Code

Pretty sure your basketball coach will be hanging out at church ball games to pick up more players next.

• Cougarista Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 8, 2012 2:53 p.m.

Glad that the Cougars are on national/world TV. Clearly onE team in Utah is glad they are not.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    Jan. 8, 2012 2:26 p.m.

Many posters a few days ago were complaining that Zylstra shouldn't be starting, I think you can see why Zylstra is starting, he not only can score but he plays the whole game and plays smart. He may not score like that all the time but he has and can have games like this, you never know.

• Orem Parent Orem, UT
    Jan. 8, 2012 11:18 a.m.

Wow somebody must have rattled the chains of the utah fans this morning. They seem to be out in force and their jealousy is showing up big time.

Having EVERY game on national t.v. is bringing unprecedented exposure to the Cougars. This will only help with recruiting in state as well as nationally.

The Cougars are seeing several freshmen getting significant playing time and this has the ute fans running scared and grasping at straws on the message boards. It is kind of sad actually. I can remember back quite a few years ago to the time when Utah actually competed in basketball. I was even cheering for them in the NCAA tourney back in the day. Now they have become the laughing stock of a league that is quickly becoming a laughing stock of the nation.

At any rate, I'm so glad we have coach Rose and his staff. They know how to get things done and he has proven himself to be a first class recruiter.

Rise and shout Cougar nation. It is a great time to be a Cougar!

• kokua KAYSVILLE, UT
    Jan. 8, 2012 8:38 a.m.

The BYU earned an A+ yesterday against a C team in the Don's from San Fran. I hope the boys maintain this level of play as the work to improve and prepare for St. Mary's again and Gonzaga.

Stay focused Boy's you can win out if you stay on target.

• runner10 TOOELE, UT
    Jan. 8, 2012 8:14 a.m.

It is probably best not to post unless you have your facts straight. It just makes you look stupid. Most sports analysts have the WCC as a 3 bid conference. Currently ESPN bracketology has BYU as a 9 seed and the WCC with 3 bids. The PAC 12 is currently predicted to be a 2 bid conference. I am excited that BYU is now in the WCC with the opportunity to compete against Gonzaga and St. Marys for the conference title. Go Cougs.

• DeepBlue Anaheim, CA
    Jan. 8, 2012 12:38 a.m.

With the addition of BYU, the WCC has become a three NCAA bid conference.

With the addition of Utah, the PAC 12 has become a one NCAA bid conference.

Embarrassing for the PAC 12, but true.

btw Patriot, I wouldn't be knocking NAIA teams if I were U. U barely beat Westminster equivalent San Diego Christian 58-55.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Jan. 7, 2012 11:18 p.m.

Ute troll comments are pretty interesting since I'm pretty sure that the only WCC team they could beat is Portland in the friendly confines of the Hunstsman.

WCC is clearly a three team conference this year. Looking forward to the remaining games against St Marys, Zags and Va Tech.

• IndeMak South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 7, 2012 9:53 p.m.

Watching BYU play against these nobodies is not what I expected. I guess my expectations are set way too high. Can't watch another minute of San Francisco, Layola stuff. Is this what it has come to?

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Jan. 7, 2012 9:35 p.m.

San Francisco ... now there's a national power! Whose next, West Minister College???

• Honor Code Denver, Colorado
    Jan. 7, 2012 9:27 p.m.

Pffff........you should beat teams like San Francisco, especially since you have the BYU channel to illustrate to your future Church Basketball League that some of them could qualify to play in the Marriott Center!!

• flatlander Omaha, NE
    Jan. 7, 2012 8:31 p.m.

If all you care about is a win no matter how weak the opponent then I guess you enjoyed the game. I quit watching after 5 minutes because it was clearly over. I am down to only watching three more of their games and the rest-well not for me I would rather watch some competitive ball.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    Jan. 7, 2012 8:08 p.m.

"Which tournament is this you speak of? I hate to burst your bubble but BYU is the 3rd-best team in a 1-bid conference."

Have you looked at Bracketology on ESPN? I think you are one of the few predicting BYU to not make the NCAA. The other few with you are other BYU haters.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Jan. 7, 2012 7:03 p.m.

@BlueCoug

So yes, I agree with you: The Cougars are going to be a very good team when the NIT starts.

• cougarNV Las Vegas, NV
    Jan. 7, 2012 7:02 p.m.

I loved the comment by Dave McCann when Carlino shot his Air Ball.

Something to the effect of, "Carlino reminds us that he is still a freshman..."

I appreciate Dave's candor. Being that Dave is from Vegas and sees the Rebels up close, I would like to know how he would compare the Cougars to the Rebels (Where we are enjoying Coach Rice's job he is doing coming here from Provo).

My opinion is that the Cougars would be found lacking on their perimeter defense and could not keep up with them at this point in the season.

I miss the better competition of UNM, SDSU, UNLV but I love the class of the WCC.

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    Jan. 7, 2012 6:30 p.m.

Another great game for the Cougars, except for a couple of short dry spells in the 1st and 2nd halfs when the offense seemed to lose its rhythm. Zylstra was in the zone today -- unbelievable shooting from 3 -- and the Cougars had 16 assists on 16 made baskets in the first half.

It's nice the BYU seems to have a different player stepping up every game.

Carlino still forces things at times, but he's still learning.

The Cougars are going to be a very good team come tournament time.

• Ted H. Midvale, UT
    Jan. 7, 2012 6:26 p.m.

Maybe not too terrible impressive considering the opponent. But hey, things could be worse.

We could have lost our 11th game of the season today

• Eddie Syracuse, UT
    Jan. 7, 2012 6:20 p.m.

Not even close. The Cougs had then chasing shadows 3 minutes into the game. After watching a little bit of the u game and then this game was like watching little kiddie games then moving on to the pros. What a difference! But then again when you look at the difference in rankings it is no wonder.