Sports

BYU football: Mapping out BYU's 2012 signing class

Comments

• NightOwlAmerica SALEM, OR
    Jan. 8, 2012 6:49 p.m.

Captain L said:

"Chris B & 54-10 : There sure is a lot of insecurity coming from the two of you, ute fans make it sound like belonging to a BCS conf. is absolutely the greatest thing in the world and they could be farther from the truth. Belonging to a BCS conf. doesn't mean squat, it doesn't make your team a better team, it doesn't insure you'll be in a BCS bowl, it means more money but that is about it. Half the teams in BCS conferences don't even go to bowl games. How high your teams ends up being ranked is what is important. You guys are laughable."

Utah has something to play for. Its laughable that BYU homers keep talking about Utah in a BCS conference. You gave up opportunities to join one. Move along. BYU is not a player on the national scene. Your ESPN contract created low ratings. Have fun on the outside looking in.

• SportzFan Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 8, 2012 12:00 a.m.

DevilishUte | 1:30 p.m. Jan. 6, 2012
    Tempe, AZ
    "That's great that Utah won two BCS games, but what is it doing for them now? Not a whole ton as far as I can see."

You're not looking very far or thinking with your brain if you can't see what it has gotten them. They have received an invitation to the PAC-12, will be getting A LOT MORE money, they are getting better recruits, they will be nationally televised next year for EVERY game. And I could list many other things. They would not have gotten any of the above without the BCS wins.
    --------------

The Utes are in and I expect them to do well (Not USC, Oregon, Stanford well, but well), But most people in Utah and EVERYONE outside the state knows Boise has a better football program than Utah, but the PAC didn't invite them. Why? TV sets. Why not BYU? Proposition 8. Heads would've exploded across California if BYU would've been invited to the PAC. But all that is irrelevant. The Utes are in, and it is about the future, not the past.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 7, 2012 11:43 p.m.

@Wally West

What then would you call another rah rah, pander to the base type, article about byu in the dn?

----------

The object of your obsession?

Not that you are alone in that...

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    Jan. 7, 2012 5:39 p.m.

per Cougar Claws | 11:04 a.m. Jan. 6, 2012

"USC and Utah should NEVER be compared to each other."

The U is 1-1 vs USC in recent memory.

• Wally West SLC, UT
    Jan. 7, 2012 5:37 p.m.

re: Captain L | 11:45 p.m. Jan. 5, 2012

"Chris B & 54-10 : There sure is a lot of insecurity coming from the two of you"

hint: we can eliminate the words.... objective and journalism.

• The Dixie Kid Saint George, UT
    Jan. 7, 2012 12:38 p.m.

There you go, the #1 Cougar fan chiming in first (Chris B.). He must really love BYU because he is always the first to read their articles.

• 61Cougar Seattle, Wa
    Jan. 7, 2012 11:27 a.m.

@catram
    "If you want to have long hair, party, and live a "normal" college life, then Utah is a better fit."

Thanks. Now my son wants to go to Utah!

• sandydweller Sandy, UT
    Jan. 7, 2012 11:14 a.m.

Great to see Kaufusi coming back. I remember watching him on TV during High School playoffs and he was truly a man among boys. He blew past the offensive line numerous times. I look forward to watching him.

And just for the record I don't read Utah Football articles nor comment on them - although I had a family member start for the Utes in the early 70's once they left I didn't care to watch or pay attention to them anymore. Kind of seems like a waste of time to me.

• Bleed Crimson Sandy, Utah
    Jan. 7, 2012 10:38 a.m.

@ Cougar Claws

"USC and Utah should NEVER be compared to each other".

Notre Dame and BYU should NEVER be compared to each other.

• aficionado Sandy, UT
    Jan. 7, 2012 10:04 a.m.

two hawks@ nice

• RaininTime Orem, UT
    Jan. 6, 2012 9:55 p.m.

I think the most impressive thing is the balancing act Mendenhall and his staff do with the comings and goings of RM's. The list of names is impressive because Brandon Gurney does such a great job of following the recruiting process and keeps us fans knowledgeable about the players.
    I know the Utes have a beat reporter, Dirk Facer, but quite honestly I am not interested in the Utes which is why I read and comment on BYU articles, not Utah. The Utah fans can follow their beloved Utes over there.
    Chase Hansen did what he felt best for him, commit to Norm Chow and Utah.
    Now that Chow is at Hawaii and Riley Nelson's two-tool skill-set are developing into 10-win ESPN driven seasons, perhaps both Hansen and the BYU coaching staff will re-visit each other.
    Nothing wrong with that.
    The SL media/talk show machine will have a field day with that, but I could care less.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Jan. 6, 2012 8:31 p.m.

Ute fans are insecure.

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Jan. 6, 2012 8:15 p.m.

@Serenity Now 6:47

I believe your comment cuts both ways. There are families who are indeed die hard Ute fans, as well as families who are die hard BYU fans who would equally be critical or angry if a son or daughter switched sides.

I once knew a local high school coach (won't say what high school) who once told his players something to the effect of, "My greatest success will be if none of you end up at BYU, and if any of you play for BYU I promise to always root against you."

On the flip side, I once home taught in family in my ward who were huge BYU fans and one day when I showed up in a shirt that had the U of U feather and drum on it, they asked me to leave and not come back until I had changed shirts.

• WACougar SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Jan. 6, 2012 7:55 p.m.

factcheck

WACougar...I also noticed that Hawaii hammered Colorado, how did the Utes do against the mighty Buffs again? I am sure Duckhunter can answer that one if you need help
    ======

Who said I was a Utah fan? the mighty buffs beating Utah has nothing to do with me. But, if you must bring it up Utah vs BYU was the biggest blow out in the PAC vs WAC this year. Also, what is your definition of a fluke touchdown? My definition is the one Riley threw against USU, not a great throw and an even better catch by Hays and Christopher. I don't need Ducky to answer these questions anymore, I found another one of those highly intelligent Y fans...factcheck!! yay

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Jan. 6, 2012 7:15 p.m.

BCS? It'll be at least ten years if ever for the utes. Cougs will play BCS before the utes.

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Jan. 6, 2012 6:57 p.m.

@CougFaninTX 1:25

You said, "Some pretty impressive names coming back from missions. The future is bright in Provo. Looks like a lot of 10+ win seasons ahead."

I sure hope your right, because starting next season, the Cougars schedule will be getting tougher. Fewer cupcake games against schools like Idaho and more quality games against teams like Boise State, Georgia Tech, Notre Dame and Texas.

If the Cougars can maintain 9 to 10 win seasons each year against opponents like that, the future will definitely be bright in Provo.

That's one more reason I hope the BYU/Utah and BYU/Utah State games stick around, because I do consider Utah a high quality opponent and Utah State is clearly on the up.

• Serenity Now Highland, UT
    Jan. 6, 2012 6:47 p.m.

To Chris B's question about hard-core Ute families switching loyalties, several thoughts:

First, BAS's comment is spot-on; Utah's tradition in football is about as old as Justin Bieber.
    Second, the children of BYU stars that have gone to the U no doubt had solid reasons for going---opportunities for immediate playing time (aka less competition at their positions), a great coaching staff (at present), and fewer lifestyle restrictions. Nothing wrong with those reasons, but it doesn't signal a seismic shift from one university to the other.
    Third, and this may hurt, could it be that the children of these hard-core BYU families are more open-minded and likely to be supported (rather than disowned) by their families with their personal choice on where to attend college?
    I'm sure you would never disown a child for attending BYU, but there are people out there like that...:)

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    Jan. 6, 2012 6:13 p.m.

I heard that Tui Crichton extended his mission and may not be home in time for spring ball. It's interesting how much has happened since Tui left.

At his mission farewell dinner, a relatively unknown Brandon Davies was busing tables, while a recently arrived Jake Heaps was sitting quietly at a small table by himself.

While Tui was serving in obscurity, Brandon, his best friend, and Jake, both spent significant time in the national spotlight.

• factcheck Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 6, 2012 6:13 p.m.

I love WACougars ripping the WAC. That is the only conference that had less bowl wins than the PAC 12. Well, I guess the Sun Belt only got 1. Glad that fluke TD for the Utes kept them above the Sun Belt as well

• factcheck Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 6, 2012 6:04 p.m.

• 17-14 Hurts Don't It? Springville, UT
    Jan. 6, 2012 5:16 p.m.

To you Utesies bragging about your 2 BCS wins years ago... you lost to a 2-10 team in your first year in 'big boy' football.

No one cares but Colorado Buff fans.

• Sandpiper Air Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 6, 2012 4:40 p.m.

Maybe Devilishute was watching the UA game becasue he couldn't seem to find the ute basketball game last night.

• giantfan Farmington, UT
    Jan. 6, 2012 3:53 p.m.

WACougar,

I just wanted to let you know how funny your comment was. I apologize, It would be my pleasure to never respond to or aknowledge you again. (After this post, of course).

• WACougar SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Jan. 6, 2012 3:38 p.m.

Giantfan,
    I just want to know why la tech is the WAC champs, no need to be rude:( Also I clearly stated I want Duckhunter or Portland Trailblazers to asnwer...They are so smart!

• kokua KAYSVILLE, UT
    Jan. 6, 2012 3:37 p.m.

Chrissy

Seems you live in a hate vacuum. Life is way to short and sport fanaticism is extremely boring.

• giantfan Farmington, UT
    Jan. 6, 2012 3:31 p.m.

WACougar,

Ha ha ha!! That is hilarious!! Did you come up with that all by yourself or did your mommy help you? Wow, good thing BYU played all those WAC teams this year and not Colorado! I hear they are super tough!!

• giantfan Farmington, UT
    Jan. 6, 2012 3:24 p.m.

Sunny All Day,

Yeah, "If". What's your point? Oh yeah, you don't have one. BYU offered Hansen to play TE because there's already a lot of talent at QB for the next six years. He wanted to play QB so he chose Utah. He's fine with that. BYU's fine with that. If they wanted him at QB they would've offered him and no doubt he would've taken it. Case closed. Prove me wrong.

• WACougar SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Jan. 6, 2012 3:23 p.m.

Hey I have a question that I would prefer one of the BYU knowledgeable fans like Duckhunter or Portland Trail Blazers to answer.

I was on the WAC athletic website and it claims La Tech is the WAC champion! How could this be? they lost one game and we went undefeated in conference! How could they do this to us? I am starting to feel sympathy for the 04, 08 Utes!

• giantfan Farmington, UT
    Jan. 6, 2012 3:20 p.m.

DevilishUte,

"I couldn't help but CHUCKLE when I saw Mangum throw the pick-six and then fumble in another set of downs."

And yet he was still named MVP of the game (along with Jameis Winston), this after switching to the black team at halftime because of a rash of injuries to their QB's. I'm glad it gave you a chuckle, whatever makes you happy, but I'm pretty sure not many BYU fans are worried about the kid after last night's performance. In fact, confidence in his abilities is probably even higher.

I looked up and down the rosters for both teams and was sure I'd find a kid committed to Utah on the list. Imagine my surpise when I didn't! At least Utah was insulated from any smack talk from their rival if one of their commits did play in the game and made a mistake or two while still winning MVP. The horror!

• Prairie Dog LUBBOCK, TX
    Jan. 6, 2012 3:16 p.m.

And Mangum got a special MVP Award to boot. BTW, I didn't see any Yute commits playing. How could I have missed them...oh, there weren't any.

• SUNNY ALL DAY Saint George, UT
    Jan. 6, 2012 3:07 p.m.

corporal losser

"...BCS conf. doesn't mean squat...".

$30,000,000/yr. is not as much "squat" as the y espn contract, but it will do in a pinch.

LOL.

farmstuff

"...if BYU would have offered him a scholly to play QB, he would've jumped to BYU...".

IF...

LOL.

jacka

"...Wynnie and Hays, how is that working out for ya?...".

Jordan 2. the y 0.

How's that workin out for ya?

LOL.

• factcheck Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 6, 2012 3:03 p.m.

Hey Devilsish Ute. So you tuned in the UA game late in the second half. One thing you obviously did not realize was that Mangum practiced all week with the White team. The Black team lost 2 QBs, one before the game and 1 during the game. He switched teams in the middle of the second half, put on a generic #20 jersey and went out and played for a team that had '0' pass protection. A team that he had '0' practice time with and still made some great throws. It was refreshing to see the unselfishness.

• Prairie Dog LUBBOCK, TX
    Jan. 6, 2012 2:59 p.m.

devilishyute:

Mangum practiced all week with the white team. Due to injuries, he was asked to switch to the other team, during the game. He was, therefore, playing with a team he had never practiced with. I know you would have done much better in similar circumstances, right?

• JmThms Henderson, NV
    Jan. 6, 2012 2:55 p.m.

Chris B, hows that inferiority complex thing workin for ya?

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    Jan. 6, 2012 2:24 p.m.

barf-r-us,

Don't flatter yourself and think that I was watching the game for Mangum. I was watching because I enjoy football, at any level. That being said, I couldn't help but CHUCKLE when I saw Mangum throw the pick-six and then fumble in another set of downs.

Wynn has beaten BYU twice in a row, now. Digest that.

• Duh west jordan, ut
    Jan. 6, 2012 2:23 p.m.

It makes me laugh that Ute fans keep bringing up their BCS wins, who cares? Those same folks keep trashing BYU's NC, who cares? I agree BYU will never get the top prospects in the country, not even close but, neither will Utah, not even close. Will they get faster, better athletes, I think so because BYU's standards will be too much for most Ute recruits to handle which gives them a bigger pool to recruiting. Is there any indication that they are getting better recruits because they are now in a BCS conference? Prove it. Overall though I think that the state of Utah is getting better in football. Only time will tell as to the affects all these changes will have, I mean Utah and BYU are only one year into their new surroundings. Let's see where they are in 3 more years, that will be a better time to compare with the recruits they are getting now.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Jan. 6, 2012 1:55 p.m.

DevilishUte

Was Hansen playing in the UA game? Thanks for keeping ur eyes on big brothers recruits. But your "expert" analysis of his skills is not required. Just go back to analyzing that heralded QB tandom of Wynnie and Hays, how is that working out for ya?

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    Jan. 6, 2012 1:30 p.m.

Speaking of recruiting, did anyone see BYU's heralded QB recruit in the UA game last night? I tuned in long enough to see him throw a pick-six and fumble the ball. Reminds me of a certain someone that was also a "great" recruit that is now on his was to playing for a 2-10 KS team.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Jan. 6, 2012 1:25 p.m.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Jan. 6, 2012 1:07 p.m.

re: Chris B "How many kids who grew up hard core Utes are switching to BYU?"

If you're talking about basketball, the answer is 2 this year - Cusick and Sharp. Maybe Loveridge next year.

If you're talking about football, Uale comes to mind. But USC (Kaveinga, Fangupo) seems to be a better farm team for us right now.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    Jan. 6, 2012 12:47 p.m.

Re: crowntown1

Ok fair enough, but how many people bring up the University of Utah in the national media? How often does the U get talked about on ESPN for instance? That's great that Utah won two BCS games, but what is it doing for them now? Not a whole ton as far as I can see. At best they are another Arizona State right now. That's all I was saying.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Jan. 6, 2012 12:40 p.m.

Star Lotuleli(spelling ?) perfect example of what catram is saying. He could not get the grades to make it at the Y. So he opted for the U later. No way you could tell us that he wouldn't prefer playing at the Y. Some kids can make it work at byu some can't for many reasons. Fact is that the majority of top local high school recruits would choose the Y over the U any day of the week.

• LDTemplar AMERICAN FORK, UT
    Jan. 6, 2012 12:35 p.m.

@ Chrissy: "in thethe last decadenight" You are definitely a Utah grad, or just on drugs.

• crowntown1 Corona, CA
    Jan. 6, 2012 12:34 p.m.

Cougar claws

Who's comparing? Simply stating someones rant about "No one cares about Utah's BCS bowl wins" Only Utes fans do or whatever. Probably the dumbest comment I have ever read.So i followed up with I guess SC fans only care about their many BCS wins and Nc's, not the world of College Football, wait what?

• Oatmeal Woods Cross, UT
    Jan. 6, 2012 12:26 p.m.

Troy Hinds is NOT a U fan. The Utes rolled out the red carpet (Coach Whit was at Davis High many times) and he turned them down. The Hinds family likes BYU. If Troy jumps from BYU after his mission, expect him to go to a more highly touted PAC-12 school, not the U.

• Alterego Harrisville, UT
    Jan. 6, 2012 12:15 p.m.

can't wait to see how next year's offensive line looks after preparing for an entire spring and summer with Nelson at QB.

BYU football and basketball get more attention and publicity. Excitment in the state is the greatest by far when BYU is winning.

The past, present and future of college football and basketball in this state is BYU.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Jan. 6, 2012 11:55 a.m.

Chrissy and 54-10,

You act like you finished in the top of the Pac and beat Stanford, Oregon and signed every top future NFL recruit in the nation. But in reality you have no QB's what so ever. Your offense ranks #110 in the nation just above guess who?? Idaho!! You lost to a 2 win team at home. Got blown out 3 times in conference. You need to find a new OC. haha.

We Byu fans aren't worried about our future but you sure should be, even with Hansen.

• catram North Las Vegas, NV
    Jan. 6, 2012 11:43 a.m.

Can we just be honest. First of all, getting into BYU is increasingly more difficult than getting into Utah. Not even in the ball park. So, for those average students, Utah is a good choice. Second, BYU just is not for everyone. If you want to have long hair, party, and live a "normal" college life, then Utah is a better fit. OK. I have now stated the obvious. Go Cougs!!

• giantfan Farmington, UT
    Jan. 6, 2012 11:31 a.m.

Chris,

The fact about Chase Hansen is if BYU would have offered him a scholly to play QB, he would've jumped to BYU faster than you can troll a BYU article. I don't blame him for his desire to play the position and more power to him if he succeeds in doing so at Utah. I fail to see, however, how this is a case of a switching lifelong allegiances.

And just as easy as it is for you to predict that Hinds will change his committment before his mission is over, one could say that Hansen will do the same. Especially if BYU starts to reconsider his abilities to play QB. That may never happen, however, considering how stacked BYU is at that position for the next 6 years.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    Jan. 6, 2012 11:04 a.m.

Re: crowntown1

USC and Utah should NEVER be compared to each other.

• morganh Orem, Utah
    Jan. 6, 2012 10:33 a.m.

I used to enjoy reading the B.Y.U. comment boards. Now that the B.Y.U. haters have decided to show their hatred of B.Y.U. I will stick to reading B.Y.U. articles by Deseret News Journalists who don't hate B.Y.U.

• crowntown1 Corona, CA
    Jan. 6, 2012 10:11 a.m.

And no one cares about USC's NC's or #1 in BCS wins.

• cougar76 Raleigh, NC
    Jan. 6, 2012 9:17 a.m.

2 bcs games and 2 wins. Don't hold your breath waiting for the next one. You have to get past SC then Oregon, Stanford or Washington in the conference championship. Better do it next season while the conference schedule is still stacked in your favor. After that...? Well, don't hold your breath.

• DodgerDoug Salem, UT
    Jan. 6, 2012 9:11 a.m.

Chase Hansen chose Utah because "maybe he wants to win a BCS game". That's the funniest thing I've heard in a long time little bro. Utah had a better chance of winning a BCS game staying in the MWC than they do in the Pac 10.2. No little bro, Utah will never sniff the BCS again.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    Jan. 5, 2012 11:45 p.m.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Jan. 5, 2012 11:28 p.m.

Or Washington State. And not even on par with Colorado.

Ouch.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    Jan. 5, 2012 10:13 p.m.

Re: Chris B

I guarantee NO ONE cares about Utah's 2 BCS wins but the Utes. Your own conference doesn't view you any differently than Arizona or Arizona State.

• Cougarista Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 5, 2012 10:13 p.m.

Class guys and good players, a combination BYU values. They chose well and will receive the state's quality undergrad education. It's great to have them in Blue and White.

• Cougar in Texas Houston, TX
    Jan. 5, 2012 9:43 p.m.

An article on BYU football recruiting and 8 out of the first 13 comments are from Ute fans?

Don't you guys have a basketball game to go to tonight?

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 5, 2012 8:28 p.m.

Remember everyone that Ducky doesn't comment on recruits.

Especially when he "is on business in Tulsa."

LOL

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 5, 2012 7:16 p.m.

Preseason 2012 bcs contender no doubt!

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 5, 2012 7:12 p.m.

ducky, let's be real. Byu had said they would offer during his visit. He didn't even bother visiting. Now tell me why a kid who grows up hard core byu would not even take an official visit to his dream school? Lol!

Maybe he wants to win a bcs game?

Byu's irrelevancy on the national stage in thethe last decadenight has permanently ruined the program. People remember big game winners(see 2 bcs games, 2 bcs wins, thus a bcs invite).

• newwest Ferron, UT
    Jan. 5, 2012 5:56 p.m.

Chrissy,
    Did any child grow up a hard core Ute fan?
    Certainly made sense for Hansen to go to the U. Way more opportunity to step into a starting role there than there would have been at BYU.
    I think Whit is more willing to work with kids who want to serve missions than previous Ute coaches. Also, doesn't hurt that most of the coaching staff has a BYU background.
    If you want to talk about athletes switching allegiance, how's that basketball thing going?

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Jan. 5, 2012 5:21 p.m.

@christina b

BYU didn't even offer vainuku a scholarship. But in answer to that question, Hansen's parents will be Chase Hansen fans as long as he is at utah but they are still Cougar fans. I would do the same if one of my sons winds up playing a sport at the university of utah.

Anyone whose child goes to one school or the other is going to support their child or other relative. For instance all of Kyle Whittinghams brothers support utah purely because of Kyle. They have no personal love for the university of utah, they are all BYU grads and they are all BYU fans other than when they play utah in which case they support Kyle and utah. Blood is thicker than water.

But don't fool yourself into thinking it doesn't go both ways. Jan Jorgenson grew up a utah fan and he went chose BYU. According to the ute trolls like yourself Troy Hinds was a utah guy right up until he chose BYU. You guys posted on here constantly about him wearing utah gear and being at utah practices.

Keep tyring lil band of tranfers LOL!

• Twitterpated Cougar Taylorsville, UT
    Jan. 5, 2012 5:17 p.m.

Good job Coach M.

Best recruiting class ever.

• BAS Draper, UT
    Jan. 5, 2012 4:53 p.m.

Is there such a thing as a hard core Ute fan that is under 25 and not already going to the UofU? Most Ute fans didn't become hard core until 2002, so the answer is probably none. However, in a few years as the current crop of Elementary & Junior High Students that grow up hard core Ute fans, we will have a few. Thanks for playing Chris (crickets, crickets)B.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Jan. 5, 2012 4:12 p.m.

Someone is a little insecure about her teams commits(2 out of 3 posts). Maybe she's afraid that some who leave on missions might decide to transfer to BYU.
    Someone should tell her that most real football fans don't care enough to reply to her.

BYU has some great linemen coming back from missions on both sides of the ball.
    Alisa, Pritchard and Hines to go along with Quezada are a very good bunch of RB's. Great receivers, tight ends and hopefully a solid passing QB will seem like BYU offenses of old. With nearly all of their D starters coming back, they should be a good team next year.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 5, 2012 3:55 p.m.

Again, someone please actually answer the question:

How many kids who grew up hard core Utes are switching to BYU?

I love the BCS, our BCS wins, and our BCS membership.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Jan. 5, 2012 3:46 p.m.

I'm pretty excited about some of the returned missionaries. In particular Bronson Kaufusi. I'm friends with his mother and she came from a family of great athletes, many of you I'm sure remember Craig Garrick who played for BYU in the early 80's. That is Bronson's uncle. Then of course the Kaufusi's we all know about. That is some great heritage right there and I'm hopeful he'll live up to his billing and potential, I'd be surprised if he doesn't.

There's some other good returned missionaries as well, I know the Hannemans also, coached the kids in youth sports before they moved up to Lone Peak, and they are great athletes.

I don't know much about most of the hs signees other than the younger Hanneman, just what I've read in the papers. But of course signing day is always pretty exciting and it is always fun to see how many of them turn out to be good players.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 5, 2012 3:44 p.m.

Frankly I'll be more surprised if Troy Hinds doesn't change his mind on his mission than if he does.

Chase Hansen, Vainuku: Previously hard core BYU families.

Now?

Tell me byu fans.

How many hard players who were hard core Utes growing up are switching to the blue?

Crickets, crickets.

Times are changing.

The future of football in Utah,

IS UTAH

• Veracity Morgan, UT
    Jan. 5, 2012 3:26 p.m.

and the legend continues...