U.S. & World

Romney stays low key during Mormon services in Iowa

• Christy Beaverton, OR
    Jan. 5, 2012 10:04 p.m.

That is never going to happen.

Oregon is a strong blue state. Too bad for your brother.

I fear for your sanity when Obama wins a 2nd term.

• coltakashi Richland, WA
    Jan. 5, 2012 4:21 p.m.

If Romney is elected, I can imagine stories about the ward he will attend when home at the White House, as well as arrangements made so they can have Home Teachers and Visiting Teachers. We Mormons are going to look disappointingly ordinary to most people, instead of scary.

• crunchem Cedar City, Utah
    Jan. 4, 2012 11:09 p.m.

I'm glad my brother lives in Oregon and has the ability to cancel out your vote; or is that mean to say that?

• kargirl Sacramento, CA
    Jan. 3, 2012 1:38 p.m.

Eddie, just because you wouldn't want to worship in somebody's church, doesn't mean that for someone else, it may not be the beginning of faith. They may not stay there once they find it isn't enough, or they may find something you and I don't know is there. Since I have never met the man or worshipped there, I do not know what is there that he offers his congregation, so please let us not judge him or his congregation. And I am sure that no decent presidential candidate on any side of the fence, including the one so many are apparently wanting to succeed here, would encourage such a judgmental attitude, at least not as a campaign issue, and certainly not as an LDS person.

• Marine Corps Vet Tempe, AZ
    Jan. 3, 2012 12:26 p.m.

Brother Chuck Schroder;
    My oh my, you do get around. Had it not been for your presumably first-hand obsrvation regarding all of the nifty conversational tidbits that took place in the LDS meeting house foyer between Mitt R. and ward members, I would never have known that he was signing Books of Mormon and stumping for Iowa votes. Please keep up your factual and enlightening reports and blogs. You sir are to be commended for reporting the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth!!

• ksampow Farr West, Utah
    Jan. 3, 2012 12:21 p.m.

For all of you who thought that it was inappropriate for DN to run this article: maybe it would be quuestionable for a different newspaper. But I'm sure many DN readers are interested in this. I actually wondered yesterday as I watched the news if Mitt Romney attended church in Iowa on Sunday. Not every story has to be political or politically correct.

By the way I do think some of the above comments are insightful about Romney quietly attending church, rather than campaigning in church as many Democrats and many conservative Republicans have done.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Jan. 3, 2012 10:40 a.m.

@ Eddie, what does this story have to do with President Obama? Must he be your whipping post for everything?

• Mick Murray, Utah
    Jan. 3, 2012 7:41 a.m.

You finally said something I agree with. Actions speak louder than words. That is why I will never support or agree with BO.

• JRJ Pocatello, ID
    Jan. 3, 2012 12:07 a.m.

If Mitt is elected POTUS, I wonder how the RS visiting teachers or home teachers will fulfill their callings. Just a thought. Bet Bro. Romney won't be called to be a scout leader.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    Jan. 2, 2012 10:56 p.m.

There are actually good arguments for allowing candidates to present their political messages in Church. I support and uphold the LDS Church's ban on political speechs in meetinghouses, but people have made well reasoned arguments that the fact that it exists leads to Church members being more mono-partisan than they would be otherwise.

• Christy Beaverton, OR
    Jan. 2, 2012 9:41 p.m.

You might want to read what I wrote, a second time.

I'm not saying whomever disagrees with me is stubbornly biased.

I'm saying that to think in such absolutes - Romney is sincere, and 'BO' is godless - regardless of available facts, regardless that you can't know what is in another man's heart, is to be biased. And yes, stubbornly so.

I really don't think Romney is a bad guy. I wish more people liked Huntsman. I like part of what Ron Paul has to say. I think Gingrich might be a nice grandpa, and Santorum a decent husband and father. I've seen Bachmann be sweet when she's not crucifying the president.

I obviously like President Obama, and will vote for him again.

I don't weigh which candidate believes in God the best. Actions speak louder than words.

And I think Fox News and the AM radio shock jocks poison and corrupt good people's better reasoning.

• Mick Murray, Utah
    Jan. 2, 2012 8:30 p.m.

Your last comment was extremely hypocrital. Who is "so stubbornly biased?" Why is it that if someone doesn't agree with you they are stubborn and biased and you are just well rounded?

I don't agree with you. I don't agree with BO. And I don't agree with liberal social justice theology taught by Rev. Wright. That is a differing opinion, not a stubborn or biased one.

• Star Bright Salt Lake City, Ut
    Jan. 2, 2012 2:11 p.m.

Right back at you!

• Christy Beaverton, OR
    Jan. 2, 2012 1:36 p.m.

We don't know what is in anyone's heart when they go to church. Most here seem to know exactly what's in Romney's heart, and that it's all goodness and light.

Most here also seem to know exactly what's in Obama's heart, and that no good exists therein.

Being so stubbornly biased shows unwillingness to learn, much less accept, anything new or different outside of your bubble.

This is something I believe we could all work on. Some more than others.

• Star Bright Salt Lake City, Ut
    Jan. 2, 2012 12:42 p.m.

no fit in SG
    Then don't read it!

• no fit in SG St.George, Utah
    Jan. 2, 2012 12:09 p.m.

Has anyone ever wondered how the DN will function, should Romney fail in his quest to be the President of the United States?
    We have til November to be bombarded with numerous daily stories about Romney and his family.
    Just wondering what is left to write about.

• Star Bright Salt Lake City, Ut
    Jan. 2, 2012 11:24 a.m.

"The LDS church specifically forbids using its services, activities, or facilities for campaigning or partisan political events. The church is neutral on candidates or parties, and on issues except those of moral or social significance. Leaders are expected not to involve the Church in these issues."
    Californian #1

How come most of the negative commentors can't understand that simple statement?
    If it is news that all the other candidates are going to church, why isn't it news here in the west that Romney goes to church?
    Of course there would be no political statement - the LDS Church does not allow it, although I'm dying to have a good political discussion in Sunday School. But alas, I can't.
    Obama's church service is the golf links and when he finally goes in Hawaii it is news and is reported.

• Ranch Here, UT
    Jan. 2, 2012 10:21 a.m.

Theocracy here we come. Next, all we need to do is decide whose version gets top o' the heap.

• Eddie Syracuse, UT
    Jan. 2, 2012 9:16 a.m.

Since when did BO step foot into a Church? If you are talking about Rev. Wright's "Church" I would beg to differ with you. I think he calls himself a "Christian" but in his service he takes the name of the Lord, his God in vain in a political statement. I would hardly call that a church.

Mitt's my man. I had not made up my mind as of a few days ago, but he has convinced me he is the right one for the job.

• Mick Murray, Utah
    Jan. 2, 2012 9:01 a.m.

Several have tried to give Obama "credit" for attending Rev. Wright's church for over 20 years but BO has done everything he could to sweep that info under the rug.

• bobosmom small town, Nebraska
    Jan. 2, 2012 7:35 a.m.

At least it was low keyed and he wasn't going out there to call attention to himself. Is it noteworthy, I don't know. At least let him worship without the whole DN letting us know where he worshipped. Thats personal.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Jan. 2, 2012 6:30 a.m.

How was he supposed to act? Church is not a campaign venue. The DesNews should change it's name to The Mitt Times. What a non story.

• Honor Code Denver, Colorado
    Jan. 2, 2012 5:59 a.m.

Good for Mitt......I like a guy that knows when he's in church that politics and religion don't mix. I'm for him!

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    Jan. 2, 2012 3:49 a.m.

Romney has owned his faith publicly and has never faltered. His behavior has been completely appropriate at all times. He has not used it in any way unlike some others.

• junkgeek Agua Dulce, TX
    Jan. 1, 2012 10:20 p.m.

Under what circumstances were they introducing themselves to the congregation? Sunday school or priesthood meeting?

• JoeBlow Miami Area, Fl
    Jan. 1, 2012 10:15 p.m.

My Point was that Romney does not want to highlight his Religion to the GOP as it is generally seen as a negative.

You think it is coincidence that Perry, Santorum and Bachmann weave religion into their campaign whenever possible?

Their religion plays to the base.

Romney's? Not so much.

Fairly obvious, really. And a good campaign strategy.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    Jan. 1, 2012 9:51 p.m.

"When are we going to have a DNews article about what Mitt Romney had for breakfast?"

Frankly, it doesn't matter what the subject of the article is; some people are going to find Mitt Romney to be an evil person regardless of what he does.

• SqueakyWheel Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 1, 2012 9:34 p.m.

Why can't the Dn at least tile their article correctly? It is not a "Mormon Service" it is an LDS service. You would think the DN of all papers would get it right.

• Christy Beaverton, OR
    Jan. 1, 2012 9:23 p.m.

Mike Richards

Mr. Romney seems to be the only candidate who attends church to worship God. The others, at least the ones that we read about, think that church is just another campaign stop.

It's refreshing to finally see a devout man do what a devout man should do - attend church for the right reason.

Romney leaves the political scene outside of the church services, where they should be. Separating church and state.

Gotta hand it to him.

I find these sentiments outstanding leaps of selective reasoning. Neither person who made these comments have ever even thought of giving President Obama any benefit of a doubt when he even mentions God, let alone steps foot in a church. I guess it's pandering, unless you're Mitt Romney.

Yes, Romney has the Mormon vote cinched up nicely. Is this really news?

• Uncle Rico Sandy, UT
    Jan. 1, 2012 8:04 p.m.

Joe Blow: I dont see your point, and unless you are a gifted mind-reader, I doubt you have any more insight on Romneys intentions than I do.

• kargirl Sacramento, CA
    Jan. 1, 2012 7:58 p.m.

So does Harry Reid and so do many other candidates and public officials, LDS or otherwise, of both parties. They go to their religious meeting of choice, and worship, and if they are visitors, do whatever is customary. Case closed. And yes, as we often discuss everything in the foyer from dinner to dresses, I bet Mitt had some things to say that would not have been proper in the meeting, although I have heard such things come as close to being discussed as one dared do. And in regard to the comment about English teachers, I'm glad I didn't have to say that, although I'm glad someone did--given my opinions, it may have been taken too lightly. But if one wants to make it a point of pride, one should do it with correct spelling, grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure. Thank you for your time, and happy new year!

• washcomom Beaverton, OR
    Jan. 1, 2012 7:16 p.m.

Gotta hand it to him.

• JoeBlow Miami Area, Fl
    Jan. 1, 2012 7:05 p.m.

"Mitts counterparts are milking religious congregations all across Iowa,"

Yes, because they believe it will help them get GOP votes.

The only reason that Romney is not is because it WONT help him and will most likely Hurt him.

Please don't make it sound as if his motives are more noble.

• Californian#1@94131 San Francisco, CA
    Jan. 1, 2012 6:24 p.m.

In some churches, Sunday services actually feature candidates who mount the pulpit to garner votes. They vie for the pastor's endorsement and bash each other to a chorus of "amens" from the congregation. This is quite common in some demographic sectors, at least where I live. It isn't unusual to see candidate endorsements in the official (county-issued) voter material by "Reverend ______ ______, Pastor, ______ Church."

We don't hear a lot of agitating about the need for those churches to lose their religious tax-exempt status.

But I digress.

Political candidates, or the POTUS, or any public figure, ought to be able to go to religious services without a lot of fanfare and commotion. If any politician wants to let God influence his life, please! please! don't ANYBODY interfere! And the congregation of good and faithful people deserves the right to worship in peace and quiet.

• Elcapitan Ivins, UT
    Jan. 1, 2012 6:17 p.m.

Sorry Brother Schroeder...

No votes again on your comments. Why not try something else for a career.

• Kiyo Washougal, Washington
    Jan. 1, 2012 6:10 p.m.

...This sounds a lot like what I did at church today, except I didn't have to stand up as a visitor...Nice, informative article...I hope we see more of the same as Mitt rides this wave.

• The_Kaiser Holladay, UT
    Jan. 1, 2012 6:03 p.m.

Deseret News: Really? You post an article about Romney going to church?

Just because someone goes to church doesn't mean they can be trusted. If you need an example, look to Utah County's troubles with financial schemes on the premise of being a member.

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    Jan. 1, 2012 5:57 p.m.

"Items like this is why there is discust on the mormondom culture."

...not to mention 'discust' among teachers of English.

• Brother Chuck Schroeder A Tropical Paradise USA, FL
    Jan. 1, 2012 5:00 p.m.

CAN YOU BELIEVE that Jacob Fullmer, now a member of Mitt Romney's Iowa field staff, said the presidential candidate didn't mention Iowa's upcoming caucus vote, during LDS Church services Sunday. But after the closing prayer, out in the Foyer was more then just a general discussion of his issues and experiences with Mormonism and that he needs their votes in 2012. Mitt remembers the French, social center, from Old French foier way to much also. I'm sure he posed for pictures and signed several Book of Mormon's also.

I told you I would tell you the truths.

I didn't say you would like them.

Right Brother Romney?.

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    Jan. 1, 2012 4:59 p.m.

DN is not doing a good job of informing it's readers! We don't know where Romney had dinner last night, how he celebrated the New Year, nor how many houses he owns or what they're worth.

• Mike Richards South Jordan, Utah
    Jan. 1, 2012 4:54 p.m.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Jan. 1, 2012 4:39 p.m.

Every candidate needs to keep their religion personal. All the time.

• mightymite DRAPER, UT
    Jan. 1, 2012 4:37 p.m.

This is not a news article! Items like this is why there is discust on the mormondom culture.

• Eddie Syracuse, UT
    Jan. 1, 2012 3:44 p.m.

I heard a lot on a big network that all the others were at one church or another trying to get votes and they named them all but not Mitt. I guess they just will not go near an LDS church building. I think that it was wonderful what Mitt did and how he did it. I would love to see what the others said in their "meetings" and then how the media plays (spins) it.

• sarahrose SAINT JOSEPH, MI
    Jan. 1, 2012 3:18 p.m.

Well on second thought Uncle Rico..I agree with you. Sad day when political campaigners use their religion as a campaign tool. Good for Mitt!

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    Jan. 1, 2012 3:17 p.m.

That really impresses me, I heard a story about Daddy Huntsman (SR) at a Stake Conference that was the total opposite. No way to know if it is true, but it was very self important. I am not surprised that Romney was low key, I think that is really who he is, but he is a good leader and has good ideas.

• Uncle Rico Sandy, UT
    Jan. 1, 2012 2:45 p.m.

Actually, I do think this is newsworthy. Mitts counterparts are milking religious congregations all across Iowa, using the pulpit as a political tool, pronouncing their belief, saving themselves, declaring thier deviations etc. While Romney, the so called "cultist" show up to church low- key and refuses to use it for polical means. If Romney was flip- flopper, he would have denounced his religion long ago, it gives him 0 advantage in Iowa and beyond from an election standpoint.

• Sarah Rose SAINT JOSEPH, MI
    Jan. 1, 2012 2:45 p.m.

Why is this even in the news? Mitt was at Church...one is there to worship..not do campaigning. Mitt did what any other LDS would do. Good grief..!

• Al Thepal Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 1, 2012 2:11 p.m.

First, although I am a Romney supporter and I think it is cool he stays low-key going to Church even at this time, I don't think this is really news worthy. He probably does the same thing every week that he visits a ward or branch other than his own.

Second, if I was Mitt and I wanted things to be low-key at church and a young volunteer got this on the news, I would be a little mad at Fullmer. Mitt tries to go to Church and not have it be a big deal, and Fullmer gets it in the news (at least in Utah). Oops.