Sports

Utah Utes basketball: Good start doesn't lead to win for Utes

Utah relaxes, loses crispness after posting early lead

Comments

• IndianaCoug Bloomington, IN
    Dec. 27, 2011 9:39 p.m.

RE: TheHailstorm & Duckhunter

Trolls are trolls, and trolls spend their time keeping tabs and posting negative comments about teams they dislike. You both qualify, but you also each keep these message boards interesting. Enjoy the holidays :)

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    Dec. 27, 2011 5:12 p.m.

@ Duckhunter
    What over a bag of hot air ?
    Did I mention narcissism ?
    Utah by 5 over Georgia Tech.
    It's good to be a Ute ! ! !

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 27, 2011 3:28 p.m.

@failstorm

No, you're obsessed.

LOL!

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    Dec. 27, 2011 2:15 p.m.

@ Duckhunter,
    Time has a way of exposing you or demoting you. Y0u are your own worst enemy.
    Obsession isn't likely, I just do not tolerate rude behavior.
    Calling you out isn't obsession, posting on Christmas morning is.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 27, 2011 12:18 p.m.

@hailstorm

How is calling you "classless" not correct? Your obsession with me is obvious. You have admitted on here you actually keep a file on me. I actually enjoy what I have done to you. I find it especially hilarious that utah "fans" like yourself think I am any more than the balance for the ute "fans" on the BYU articles. You simply are blinded by crimson and unaffected by reality.

You realize that a good portion of my posts on ute articles are almost word for word copies of the posts utah "fans" write in BYU articles with the only changes being "utah" for "BYU" or "tds" or whatever utah "fans" call BYU or else I just change the name of the BYU player and insert a utah player instead?

That's right failstorm, I repost what the 'classy' ute "fans" post in the BYU articles word for word and that generally gets me about 20 outraged replies from utah "fans" like yourself calling me out for them and claiming BYU fans are the instigators. I'm sure you even read those utah "fan" posts in the BYU articles and don't even think twice about them.

LOL!

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    Dec. 27, 2011 11:33 a.m.

@ Duckhunter
    Truth hurts ? Never posts anything true about you ?
    Like running and hiding after the RES blowout or how you call us " classless "?
    Those who frequent this board know better because we have had to read your insults for a long time.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 27, 2011 11:18 a.m.

@WeberCatBasketballFan

hailstorm has an absession with me and never posts anything even remotely true in reference to me. I don't mind as it simply proves my point.

That said the Weber win over utah was very impressive, at least as impressive as a win over the worst team in all of D1 basketball can be. I hope to see Weber, and especially Lillard, in the NCAA's this year. He could go off and get them a win or two and that would be fun.

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    Dec. 27, 2011 11:14 a.m.

@ WeberCatBasketballFan
    I wasn't referring to just this article but rather his behavior ever since he discovered a keyboard.
    Not this game but rather every single article on the Utes he is firing away at random and many of his cheap shots are just hot air blanks.
    Weber is doing very well under coach Randy and except for Utah the teams in the state are impressive. I can see the Cougars going to that dance floor this year.

• WeberCatBasketballFan Midway, UT
    Dec. 27, 2011 9:58 a.m.

Hey, it was quoted "the number of BYU fans on Ute articles spewing forth their venom" but this is a Weber State article! LOL

Seriously folks, give it a rest! I see plenty of absolutes and generalities and exaggerations on both sides when it serves the poster! You folks want credibility then you go and make outlandish comments (both ways)!!! Nice thing about being an "outsider" I get to observe this entertainment (like comedy) without passion or angst. :)

By the way, I hate Colorado and I was raised there. I wanted Whittingham to use his brain on the last drive and run the ball and not take a sack so they would beat CU in overtime but it didn't happen. Not the University's fault, not the players fault, not the fans fault.

I am also a big 12 fan but I was impressed with BYU's effort against Baylor, wow! Really anxious to see how they do against St Marys and Gonzaga... I originally thought they had no chance but now? Wow! I really don't care for BYU much but you have to respect tenacious defense and team basketball!

• WeberCatBasketballFan Midway, UT
    Dec. 27, 2011 9:33 a.m.

@TheHailstorm I am confused. And believe me, I am no BYU fan, but I see one comment by duck hunter on Christmas day and where are the "insults, slander, name calling, put downs and degradation?" I may be slow here but that post seems to be directing folks to comments on another article. What am I missing? And how does an impressive win by Weber State end up with banter between Utah and BYU fans? Rehashing the football blowout, and 1984, etc.?

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    Dec. 26, 2011 9:43 p.m.

@ Duckhunter
    Who do you know at the Deseret News that let's you get away with insults, slander, name calling, put downs and degradation.
    You even post on Christmas day and when called out the editors/ censors give you a free ride to belittle anyone without denying your posts.
    How do you get away with such behavior toward the Ute fans without you comments denied.
    Christmas day at 8:23 is a time with the holidays and let Ute fans enjoy their family and friends.. not giving is your insipid lecture tour.

• Jordan Lynchburg, VA
    Dec. 25, 2011 8:29 p.m.

Wow, this discussion board is great! I'm wondering if some grown men and women will show up! At any rate, I make no excuses for the Utes, they suck this year, and we all know that. It's not like you're revealing anything new by your insults. But anybody with an objective mind knows that things will turn around, and that the Utes will be back! Even in a down year, I support the Utes, and am always glad to be a Ute! Go Utes!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 25, 2011 8:23 a.m.

@motorbike

For a true example of complete and pure classlessness and low behavior head on over to the BYU section, read the uplifting article aboout Corby Eason, then go and read the comment section. It should be easy enough for you to pick out the post I'm sending you to find.

Merry Christmas!

• TrueBlue Orem, UT
    Dec. 24, 2011 11:46 p.m.

Nothing proves the utter despair on the hill better than Utah fans desperately making comparisons between BYU's worst basketball team ever and Utah's latest trainwreck.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 24, 2011 1:58 p.m.

@motorbike

But you see it doesn't bother me what utah "fans" say about BYU, I just turn around and give them the same in return. You are the one getting all bent out of shape about it and making whiney posts about it claiming it is mostly big meanie BYU fans pickiing on poor innocent utah "fans" that hardly every do anything to instigate it.

LOL!

Seriously, relax. If some big BYU bully hurts your feelings then just turn around and send a little back his direction. But most of all realize it really doesn't matter what BYU fans say about utah unless you let it matter. It is up to you to decide if you are going to get offended and angry or if you are going to have some fun with it and give some of it back.

I'm giving you some pretty good advice here, just take off those crimson covered glasses and take it.

• JayDee West Jordan, UT
    Dec. 24, 2011 12:56 p.m.

@ Hailstorm:

If you're going to quote me, at least please put it in context. You only choose what suits your spin...which was the point of my post in the first place.

To paraphrase, I said that...U fans (like yourself) are now hanging your self-esteem on a 1-25 BYU basketball team and talking like that season was last year. I then mentioned that perhaps the best BYU football team ever (a 14-win team that beat K-State in the Cotton Bowl) was contemporary to that 1-25 basketball team, yet a U fan won't accept any reference to it because it was so long ago. I just wondered how U fans use one thing, but not the other.

BTW, I said nothing about '84. That was your doing. (As it usually is.) Must still stick in your craw somethin' fierce. Good!

• 4601 Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 24, 2011 10:59 a.m.

TheHailstorm | 3:13 p.m. Dec. 23, 2011
    Keep reminding everyone about the BYU 1-25 season and it will make your team better. It's relevant and I'm certain that Coach Krystkowiak mentions if frequently to his team.

• Wildcat O-town, UT
    Dec. 24, 2011 10:36 a.m.

@Eddie

84 Champions (wow, talk about living in the past). I am glad that BYU fans are proud of their comeback triumph over 6-5 Michigan to win a championship. Like Barry Switzer said, Fresno State was undefeated, they should have been champions. I would take the Sugar Bowl Champion Utes over the 84 Cougars any day.

If BYU...when BYU loses to Tulsa. The schedule makers will have to water the schedule down even more. To quote Groundskeeper Willie on the Simpsons talking about the orange drink, "I've watered it down as far as she'll go...she can't take any more." Glad to see BYU ducked the Big 12 and Big East. ROCK ON! Looks like its Root Beer Float time at 8 pm on a November night while watching the Cougars beat NMSU on the ocho. GOOD TIMES!

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    Dec. 24, 2011 10:30 a.m.

@ Eddie
    I was speaking to Jay Dee about how many years had past since the 1-25 season.
    Here is his quote;
    " Cougar fans also know 1-25 was sooooo last century. (Funny that Ute fans think it was so recent. Can you say mid-90's?"
    The 84 season was 10 years or so EARLIER.
    Pay attention , don't be so touchy, and enjoy your holiday.

• Eddie Syracuse, UT
    Dec. 24, 2011 9:16 a.m.

@ TheHailstorm
    So what about the '84 NC? U are still jealous that the Y was the consensus NC and no matter how you spin it we did it and have the trophy to prove it along with the NC trophy's for many other sports. And how many does the u have? Still waiting...........Still waiting............Still waiting..........Still waiting..........Still waiting............Wow, that one sport university on the hill still is waiting for the NC from the sport that they put all their eggs into and have made ALL the other sports players feel like they are playing intramural sports (That is until they keep getting beat by Jr colleges and community colleges). U still can't quite get there and so u keep harping on the down side of your big brother trying to bring yourself up but just can't quite get there. Face it Beaver, you will never be Wally and will always be the loser. Now go play with Larry Mondello and keep trying to be like your big brother.

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    Dec. 24, 2011 8:57 a.m.

@JayDee
    You are right and I was wrong.. Tony Ingle was the whipping boy for the Cougars standing in for Roger Reid , but history is history the the record for the states worst collegiate basketball season is a not so glossy 1-25 belonging to the Cougars.
    Like I said before, the worst in the state ever since Dr. Naismith hung up a peach basket.
    Now about that '84 football championship.

• Eddie Syracuse, UT
    Dec. 24, 2011 7:07 a.m.

I find it funny that the u fans have to bring up the one win season of BYU that happened so many years ago and want to make comparisons but when a Y fan brings up a NC in football they are ridiculed for making the comparison. Someone has already said it, about the Y coming back after that humiliating season and have done very well in a short period of time. The fact remains that u have been in a free fall for the past six or seven years and keep hiding from it. U have turned into a one sport university and u know it. U have put all your eggs in one basket and now u have to live with it and accept the consequences. If you want to compare the athletic programs of the state, look at everything and maybe even the Deseret Duel.

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    Dec. 24, 2011 3:52 a.m.

@ motorbike
    Duck not obsessed ?
    He has written posts from 8:30 A.M. until 9:30+ P.M.
    Where's the family during the holiday and your 13 hour retorts ?.
    Where did you hide out after the 54-10 slaughter at RES ?
    i3 /50 comments were sent by the insulting duck on a 50 comment board.
    @ motorbike
    The record still stands as the worst roundball season in states history no matter how you spin the yarn.
    1-25 LOL
    54-10 ROTFL

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    Dec. 24, 2011 12:56 a.m.

@ skywalker
    The record still stands at 1-25 no matter how you spin the yarn.
    The worst in the States history.
    It's all in ink.. remember this is sports where the only thing that is a constant is W/L
    1-25 forever is the legacy.

• JayDee West Jordan, UT
    Dec. 24, 2011 12:00 a.m.

Helpful hint to the Hailstorm:

When you try to reference BYU basketball history, at least try to be accurate...otherwise it ruins the credibility that you think you have.

I have no idea who Tony Delp is...do you? Maybe you were thinking of Tony Delk (former Kentucky Wildcat).

True Cougar fans know that you meant to reference Tony Ingle who was stuck with Roger Reid's mess.

Cougar fans also know 1-25 was sooooo last century. (Funny that Ute fans think it was so recent. Can you say mid-90's? More funny is when Sarkisian's Cotton Bowl team...a contemporary to 1-25...is referenced, Ute fan says that team is older than dirt. Which is it?)

• scenic view Baltimore, MD
    Dec. 23, 2011 11:34 p.m.

@motorbike

"It'll be interesting to see what whining takes place from these same people when Utah starts crushing the Y again and your own comments are thrown back in your faces."

Since when have Utah fans ever shied away from talking smack whenever they've had a chance? The only reason the Utes have grown silent since basketball season began is because the Utes have absolutely nothing to talk smack with. BYU losing a close 3-pointer at home to the #6 team in the country is hardly the kind of fodder Utah fans could use to talk smack even if they were so inclined.

Step out of your crimson bubble and stop pretending that the lack of smack from the hill is some sort magnanimous gesture by the Utes.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 23, 2011 11:01 p.m.

Duck,

Do you have any idea how funny it is when you of all people tell someone to relax and quit being so sensitive?
    You crack me up. Go back and read your own comments. Lol.
    Anyway, keep living in denial in that blue world of yours. It must be nice.

• CordonBleu Park City, UT
    Dec. 23, 2011 10:46 p.m.

not cosmo

Comparing schedules is only meaningful if records are identical; the fact that Utah lost to every half-decent team they faced, nearly lost to an awful WSU team, and got dominated, AT HOME, by one of the worst teams in the country, totally negates your weak schedule comparison.

The mighty Utes had a gift-wrapped free pass into the PAC 12 championship game playing in the easiest division of any major conference and U totally blew it.

Bottom line:

BYU will finish in the Top 25 if the Cougars win their bowl game.

Utah has no chance of getting into the Top 25.

So much for your mighty PACdomhood.

• I am Cosmo SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 23, 2011 10:14 p.m.

@midpacmajor

If there is anybody in this world that knows one game doesn't make a season it's me. To compare the two schedules after the byu game is like comparing the Green Bay Packers to Granite High. Utah won more games than they lost and they didn't play any teams like SJS, Idaho St, Idaho, and New Mexico St. Funny me it's just hard to give your team any credability after our game 54-10, when the cougs were playing those teams and the Utes were playing Pitt on the road, ASU, Washington, OSU which you guys also beat, AZ, UCLA, WSU, and Colo. Oh and USC and Cal.

After our game there was no-where than up for your cougs, Utah on the other hand were facing the first year of the PAC-12 for you that don't understand it was like us playing TCU, and yes BYU every week, then throw in USC. The old MWC teams and the schedule that byu played this year (the WAC), it's just not the same. You may make the top 25, but after what us ute fans saw this year we know it doesn't mean to much.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 23, 2011 9:49 p.m.

@motorbike

ute "fans" are not commenting on BYU basketball articles because of the double whammy of BYU being good and utah sucking. Also one or two utah fans posts nice game doesn't mean much. You can pretty much always find a couple of BYU fans doing the same thing on utah articles.

The truth is you are obviously blind. Did you do what I asked and go back and read the Jake Heaps transfering articles from 3 weeks ago? Obviously you didn't. When utah "fans" have something they think they can get some digs in on they come out in force and do it. Unfortunately for your tender sensibilities utah's basketball team is so abysmal right now that there is plenty of ammo for BYU fans to use. As soon as utah "fans" have something they think they can rip BYU for they will be all over it.

In the meantime take my advice and relax. If it bothers you that much then don't read the comments. But drop the entire "it's mostly BYU fans" complaint because nothing could be further from the truth. You just don't see it through your crimson colored glasses.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 23, 2011 9:29 p.m.

Oh Ducky.
    You forget the times I've defended you and called out guys like Chris B.
    And I've never once said there aren't U fans doing the same thing.
    Your comment summed it up, you were just too blue goggled to understand it. You mentioned how few Utah fans commented on the Y basketball article but said it's because they won so there's nothing to say.
    Question; how many times did you and your buddies discredit Ute football wins by criticizing the opponents? Couldn't Utah fans have done that with BYUs last bball opponent?
    Another example; the few negative U fan comments when the Y lost to Baylor last week.
    Looking at that same game, you said guys like me would never get on a Y article and congratulate Y fans on a nice game when the Cougars lose. Wrong. I was one of the first to comment on how great Carlino looked against Baylor and that there was no shame in that loss. And mine were not the only comments like that.
    So tell me now, how valid was anything you wrote?

• Mitchell_12 Ogden, UT
    Dec. 23, 2011 8:22 p.m.

Midpacmajor,

Agree to disagreee.

• midpacmajor Salt Lake City, Utah
    Dec. 23, 2011 8:08 p.m.

Mitchell

"Has anybody else noticed that when Football season starts BYU fans go into hybernation and Wake up just in time for basketball season..."

Nope!!!

• midpacmajor Salt Lake City, Utah
    Dec. 23, 2011 8:03 p.m.

Cosmo impersonator

Since when does having something to play for prove anything?

Utah fans are still operating under the delusion that one game makes a season.

Utah fell apart after the BYU game and has no chance of finishing in the Top 25.

BYU continued to improve after the Utah game and is now ranked just outside the Top 25.

• Mitchell_12 Ogden, UT
    Dec. 23, 2011 7:41 p.m.

Thomas,

I never said anything about rankings... I was talking about the fans of both BYU and Utah. That is all.

• I am Cosmo SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 23, 2011 7:31 p.m.

@Swoop

We don't pretend we are superior we are! "Utah basketball ranked in the bottom 20". Well you've got to start somewhere. And when a byu fan gets into talking about football it just proves my point that you are jelous and totally obsessed with a program that really does happen to have something to play for. We may not have gotten there but at least we had the chance. It had a different feel to it something that I never really had with the y. Maybe it was that the cougars were so superior for so long and it has now turned the other direction.

One thing that I learned in athletics is that if you get beat so bad you have to swallow your pride, sit back and wait for next year. Something you y fans have no concept of doing. You have kicked us for 4 straight years in basketball and until we beat you I will never have anything to say about your basketball team. Football is a different ball game though, you guys just won't shut up and take the loss against a superior team that's in a superior league, the PAC-12.

• Mitchell_12 Ogden, UT
    Dec. 23, 2011 7:16 p.m.

Love how a game between Weber State and Utah turns into an arguement between BYU and Utah fans. Has anybody else noticed that when Football season starts BYU fans go into hybernation and Wake up just in time for basketball season, then it's the total opposite for Utes fans. Just an observation.

• Swoop Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 23, 2011 7:00 p.m.

Long Time Ute

"All of these Y fans have not gotten over the fact that we are in a conference that the majority of the country care about."

You've captured the essence of Utah fan angst; U pretend to be superior because of your conference affiliation, when in fact, your conference affiliation proves NOTHING; it's what happens on the field/court that really counts:

Utah football finishing the season with a near loss to pitiful WSU and a home loss to the 98th ranked team in the country.

Utah basketball ranked in the bottom 20.

Unfortunately for U, Utah's on field/court performance has fallen woefully short of Utah fans arrogance.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 23, 2011 5:30 p.m.

@motorbike

Like I've told you before, you don't read what the utah trolls write and consider it vitriol, you just think it is the way things really are so BYU fans should just accept it. But as soon as the same thing is done the otherway you are more offended than any prude that accidently walked into a brothel.

Wake up. It is about equal and the only reason you think it isn't is because right now utah's basketball sucks so the BYU fans have more ammo to use. As soon as any of BYU's teams have a loss they shouldn't have had, or a down season, or a transfer like Jake Heaps just did, all of the utah trolls come out from under their rocks and go nuts with the comments. But to you they aren't offensive because they aren't runnong down your team so they don't bother you. It is only when a BYU fan beats up on utah's programs that you get beside yourself and indignant.

Honestly it is really laughable. Come to your senses and quit whining about it or else call out the trolls on both sides. They are there.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 23, 2011 5:23 p.m.

@utahute16 and motorbike

There aren't any utah "fans" posting on the latest BYU article because there is nothing for you to say. You aren't going to get on there and praise them for another victory on their way to another guarnteed 20 win season so you just avoid the articles altogether.

Just go and read the articles from a few weeks ago about Jake Heaps decision to transfer, they are about 5-1 utah "fans" and you are spilling out all sorts of insults, vitriol and any other sort of cut or dig you can think of.

Remember what Dante found in the 9th circle of hell? All of the hypocrites. Those who said one thing but did another. In other words those that complain when it is done to them but turn around and do it the other way.

Once you start calling out the utah "fans" like chris b, hedgehog, williary, howard s, 54-10 and his 10 thousand screen names, and yes yourselves, for what you post on BYU articles then your complaints will be no more than laughable hypocrisy.

It's hilarious how you just can't see it.

• Long Time Ute SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 23, 2011 5:19 p.m.

Mr Ducky always has the same come back-he could care less what we say about him "Utah fans". All of these y fans have not gotten over the fact that we are in a conference that the majority of the country care about. I had Bluto tell me that the WCC is a better conference than the PAC-12, really guys. The WCC is closer to the Big Sky than any other conference in the country and BYU better win the conference or it's NIT baby, no more Jimmer.

Ute fans we are in the land of the giant cougar fans when we are DN's readers. We will never change them we will never be right and we will never convince them to realize that they have been passed by. Not everyone can be a Ute fan, isn't that just the most glorious thing in the world. Keep on with your obsessions y fans, doesn't mater if it's a U or a Y article they will always make sure to let us no what is wrong with Utah athletics. They have nothing better to do than watch what a real athletic department is doing.

• Truth Machine Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 23, 2011 5:18 p.m.

motorbike

Your so-called "venom" is BYU fans simply stating the truth about the sorry state of Utah basketball.

The only "hillarious" thing I see is U pretending that the truth is laughable.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 23, 2011 4:09 p.m.

Thanks to all of you who just proved my point for me. Your comments are laughable.

UtahUte16, you're spot on... the number of BYU fans on Ute articles spewing forth their venom far outweighs the Utah fans doing the same on BYU articles despite what they think and say. It's hilarious that they'd claim the opposite on this of all threads. It's not even close, and it rarely is.

• skywalker Palo Alto, CA
    Dec. 23, 2011 4:02 p.m.

TheHailstorm

Who's in denial?

That 1-25 BYU season was 15 years ago and BYU has long since recovered from that debacle to post TEN 20+ win seasons (not counting this season).

Utah is still in the midst of a 7-year meltdown with no end in sight.

At least BYU beat a 20-win team in 1996-97 -- Utah State(20-9)

Who has Utah beaten in 2011-12?

NAIA SD Christian(4-9) - a school with less than 500 students
    #306 Idaho State(2-9) - bottom dweller in the Big Sky
    #244 Portland(3-10) - bottom dweller in the WCC

Don't confuse quantity of wins with futility. Utah 2011-12 is MUCH worse than BYU 1996-97.

• UtahUte16 Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 23, 2011 3:37 p.m.

"Cut it out. Seriously. utah "fans" are the thinnnest skinned "fans" in this state, even though they talk the more trash than any other "fan"base."

"The big problem with you, and the other utah "fans" around here..."

"Let me give you some advice. Lighten up. I don't care one bit what utah "fans" think or say about BYU..."

"That is why the utah "fans" are inferior..."

Sounds to me like you DO care mr Duckhunter. Please re-read your posts and tell me how you are 'not caring'. You are all over almost every Utah article, certainly every basketball article (since football smack just doesn't make sense, huh). You say how you are just a balance for the Utah trolls. I guess that excuses anything and everything you can potentially say.

On this article 3 of 35 are Ute fans. A few posts from a Weber fan, and the rest... BYU fans. The redundant entourage of cougfanintx, duckhunter, nunya, eddie, bluto, sammy g (and all his different screen names), really does get old.

I went and checked the most recent BYU game article and guess what? Not one comment from a Ute fan as of now. hmmmm

• skywalker Palo Alto, CA
    Dec. 23, 2011 3:16 p.m.

Duckhunter

OUCH! The truth hurts.

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    Dec. 23, 2011 3:13 p.m.

Basketball fans certainly have shortened their memory bank and reopened the denial clause so that they forget BYU went 1-25 a few years back.
    Even with three wins the Utes won't be able to hold the state record for Basketball failure, that belongs to the Cougars. Just ask Tony Delp coach of the 1-25 team. That embarrassment won't likely to be broken for futility in the Cougar record books.
    There is another championship for you blue bloods.. the worst basketball record ever in the state since Dr. Naismith hung up a peach basket.

• scott Alpine, UT
    Dec. 23, 2011 3:12 p.m.

re: "fans who find it fun to tear down and belittle"

What's to belittle,

-- a school that thinks they're soooo superior to every other school in the state that they won't even play them anymore?

-- a school that pretends to be superior even though they got torched at home by a 10-loss team in football and has one of the worst basketball programs in the entire county?

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 23, 2011 3:06 p.m.

@motorbike

Cut it out. Seriously. utah "fans" are the thinnnest skinned "fans" in this state, even though they talk the more trash than any other "fan"base. Every time you get offended and worked up over a post by a BYU fan just wander on over to prctically any BYU article and read the posts from any one of about 100 different utah "fans" including yourself.

The big problem with you, and the other utah "fans" around here isn't the trash you talk, it is that you really think that whatever crap you post about the other schools, mostly BYU, is "truth" so BYU fans should simply accept it quietly and without reply. But just as soon as one of us posts basicly the exact same comment(s) about utah you all hypocritically get offended about it.

Let me give you some advice. Lighten up. I don't care one bit what utah "fans" think or say about BYU, your opinions are of no consequence, but I have absolutely embraced returning it. That is why the utah "fans" are inferior, because your inferiority complexes only allow you to spout nonsense and you are offended when it returned to you.

• killarney Lincoln Park, IL
    Dec. 23, 2011 2:49 p.m.

motorbike

What all this really shows is the unbridled arrogance of Utah fans dishing it when things are going well, but what cowards they are about taking it when they fall on their faces.

Utah fans have been beating their chests about Utah's "superiority" since the moment Utah was invited to the PAC 12, but now that Utah is undeniably the worst basketball program in the state, U just can't handle it.

Stop whining and take your medicine.

• JayDee West Jordan, UT
    Dec. 23, 2011 2:48 p.m.

@ motorbike

This from someone who spends nearly every post on Y articles "tearing down and belittling." (You know my moniker because you have torn me down and belittled me personally on the boards many times...remember?) As Max would say, "[YOU] stay classy, motorbike."

Merry Christmas!

I hope you and the Utes have a great holiday, terrific Sun Bowl, and a tremendous new year in your new conference.

Best wishes!

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 23, 2011 1:33 p.m.

Just read through all the comments and saw that the majority were from arrogant BYU fans who find it fun to tear down and belittle.
    Extremely classy guys. If you all could simply realize yore childish comments do nothing for credibility.
    All it does is show your obsession of UofU sports.
    It'll be interesting to see what whining takes place from these same people when Utah starts crushing the Y again and your own comments are thrown back in your faces. I'm not saying I'll advocate that, but I certainly won't deny the justification of it.
    You BYU fans make it real easy to dislike you and your athletic programs.
    Just sayin.

• Long Time Ute SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 23, 2011 11:47 a.m.

@Bluto

Heck, I think those banners are pretty cool. Salt Lake City put those banners up because the PAC-12 brings in money to the city.

• Hemlock Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 23, 2011 10:51 a.m.

Refusing to schedule Weber St, and USU sounds like Utah is in the Conference of Champignon, that's French for mushroom.

• Wildcat O-town, UT
    Dec. 23, 2011 10:48 a.m.

@Marked it Down,

That's funny, I did totally forget about the U of U game. Oh well, you can excuse me for that given their team this year.

All I am pointing out is that I think they will probably drop some games on the road in conference: St. Marys, Gonzaga, Loyola Maramount (possibly).

The WCC only got Gonzaga in last year when St. Mary's had an impressive team. If Gonzaga wins the conference tournament, it could very well be a one-bid again.

Ask USU about at-large invites in a small conference. I think it is wrong, but the PAC -12 will probably have more teams in the tournament than the WCC, WAC, and Big Sky combined. It's just what money has done to sports.

As far as the rankings go--that's neat I guess, but the Tournament Committee will do what it's going to do anyway. USU was ranked in the top 25 one year and didn't get an at-large bid. Now that BYU is in a "smaller" conference, they will face the same problem.

Good luck the rest of the way!

• Marked it Down Park City, UT
    Dec. 23, 2011 9:54 a.m.

Wildcat

"BYU is a great team, but I wouldn't get too excited BYU fans, they didn't play a true non-conference road game other than USU"

So you don't consider BYU @ Utah a true non-conference road game?

My, how the mighty Utes have fallen!

I wouldn't put too much stock in that early season loss at Utah State. Logan is a tough place to play, but let's not forget that it was the first real game of the season for a rebuilding team that was replacing the national player of the year and the school's all-time steals leader with a bunch of freshmen (9 of the 17 players on this year's BYU roster are freshmen).

BYU's other two losses were to #13 Wisconsin (by 17, in a game that was tied with 13 minutes remaining) and to #6 Baylor (by 3).

Losing by only 3 to a Top 10 team less than a week ago shows that BYU is capable of playing with anybody.

A 10-3 record has BYU ranked #31 in Sagarin, ahead of EVERY team in the PAC 12 except California.

I'd say there is a lot for BYU fans to get excited about.

• Marked it Down Park City, UT
    Dec. 23, 2011 9:24 a.m.

"Things started off well for the Utah Utes Thursday night at Weber State. An early five-point lead, though, quickly evaporated and their run of two straight wins ended with a 80-51 loss to the Wildcats in the Dee Events Center."

Good grief... have things gotten so desperate on the hill that we have to pump up an early 5-0 lead and a two-game win streak over #306 Idaho State and #244 Portland as if this was some marvelous accomplishment?

-------------

NotBuyingIt

For delusional fanbase, see mirror.

Utah fan arrogance is exceeded only by their total detachment from reality that the Utes are still somehow relevant in the college basketball landscape.

Latest Sagarin
    #31 BYU
    #118 USU
    #120 WSU
    #233 UVU
    #296 SUU
    #325 Utah

The Utes are lucky that Sagarin doesn't include DII, NAIA and JC schools in his rankings, because the Utes would probably be ranked below Westminster, Dixie State, Snow College, SLCC, and College of Eastern Utah.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 23, 2011 9:05 a.m.

@notbuyingit

You are confused. It seems your definition of "better" is one based on perception not reality. Yes the pac12 is perceived to be "better" but that definition doesn't have anything to do with actual current performance. Based on actual current performance the pac12 is a sorry excuse of a basketball conference and is inferior to the WCC.

You are basing "better" on which conference is the biggest name brand. Well great, the pac12 is a bigger name brand, I'll go along with that. But are the teams in the pac12 currently better on the whole? Are the top teams in the pac12 "better" than the top teams in the WCC? Nope they aren't. In actual quality of teams and in actual performance so far this season the WCC is "better" in ever sense of the word.

• Rockwell Baltimore, MD
    Dec. 23, 2011 9:05 a.m.

NotBuyingIt

Envious of what?

An arrogant fanbase that is now totally dependent on the accomplishments of their PAC 10.2 associates to help the Utes feel good about themselves?

Call us when the Utes actually accomplish something in the so-called "conference of champions".

• 4601 Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 23, 2011 8:45 a.m.

NotBuyingIt
    Don't worry, no one is selling it. BYU is just fine, thanks. You can't hide behind the PAC-12 banner forever. Sometime the utes will have to make a contribution on their own and stop living on borrowed fame. In the meantime just keep touting your league affiliation and ignore A. St's humiliation by Boise, the terrible PAC-12 BB teams and the list goes on.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Dec. 23, 2011 8:44 a.m.

@Long Time Ute

Why would BYU want to associate on a regular basis with the Liberal- Socialistic-Utopia, known as the Pac 10.2?

When they can associate with like minded Faith Based Institutions, who will easily work around BYU's uniqueness?

Gonzaga, St. Mary's, BYU, a nice top tier for any Conference.
    BYU has huge alumni bases on the West Coast.
    Easy travel and remember that ESPN contract applies to Basketball also.

WCC has 14 ESPN games this year. Utah? crickets....

You can't play the "Conference Card" in College Basketball.

Basketball is the "Great-Equalizer" Sport. Conference does not matter, budgets do not matter, perception does not matter, it's just 5 on 5, baby.

5 on 5.

Loyola Marymount beat UCLA for crying out loud.

Again, those Pac 12 banners all over town, do "Nothing" for U. Show up to play and compete or Get Worked. As of now, the Utah program has chosen the latter.

• QD Murray, UT
    Dec. 23, 2011 8:33 a.m.

2 observations:

1- I hate trolls from both schools who have to post negative comments about the other. Use your energy to cheer for your own team.

2- That being said, "Long Time Ute" you are stretching for excuses. I use to think the comparison with the 1-25 BYU team was valid. However the more I have thought about it, it really is not. That year happened with a firing of a coach, a lot of key injuries and players leaving the system. Simply put - they tanked. The following year BYU went into rebuild mode and still only won 9 games followed by a 12 win season. The third year of rebuilding they were back chasing championships. Even durring teh 1-25 year they were competetive with most games but could not close teh door on anyone I have yet to see that from our Utes. What year of rebuilding are the Utes in? In a one year comparison there are similarities, but the programs do not compare at all. As a Crimson Club memember it is hard to wach my donation go to waste on Basketball.

• NotBuyingIt MIDVALE, UT
    Dec. 23, 2011 8:02 a.m.

Lots of delusional BYU fans here. You would have to be to believe that the WCC is better than the Pac 12. It is obvious that they are letting their blind hatred of the Utes cloud their thinking and judgement. BYU would drop membership in the WCC like a rock if they were invited to join the Pac 12. Isn't envy one of the deadly sins? Yes, I think it is......

• Wildcat O-town, UT
    Dec. 23, 2011 6:45 a.m.

Glad to see BYU fans beating up on the Utes when they are down, but remember the WCC was a one-bid conference last year just like the Big Sky, and probably will be again this year unless Gonzaga loses in the conference tournament.

All I have learned from the instate games this year: BYU, USU, and Weber State have tremendous homecourt advantages. BYU and Weber State have good chances to win their conference and conference tournaments this year. The Utes have a tough rebuild ahead of them. If USU gets healthy at the end of the year, they might be able to win their conference tournament. Lillard is the best player in the state.

8-3 is a great non-conference record--all three losses were to good teams on the road (BYU, Saint Mary's and Cal). BYU is a great team, but I wouldn't get too excited BYU fans, they didn't play a true non-conference road game other than USU--and we all know how that went, the rest were all at neutral sites.

Good luck to all the instate teams from here on out. GO WILDCATS!

• Morton ,
    Dec. 22, 2011 10:48 p.m.

The utes will not have a single meaningful win this season despite the nonsense about resurgence!

• Long Time Ute SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 22, 2011 10:43 p.m.

@Bluto

Give me a break, BYU would kill to be in the PAC-12. The conference is down this year probably as bad as I have ever seen it. And who exactlly are we riding the coat-tails of. Utah and Colorado have been on the top of the conferences list since the early 80's, yes before Chris Hill was even there.

@Jake2010

How hard do you think it is to win the College World Series, I'm sure the kids from the state of Utah that Oregon State has come and got don't feel that it doesn't count. Those two pitchers from UCLA that went 1-2 in the MLB draft last year probably think that playing in the PAC-12 is pretty good.

@CourgarKeith

That is exactlly what we said about that 1-27 the Y had a few years back. There were ward teams that could have kicked the heck out of them, but look where you are now. Utah will do the same, Dr Hill finally got it right with BB coach it's just going to take him a little bit of time. Has been, that's what I think of your football team, it's not true though.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Dec. 22, 2011 10:42 p.m.

Too funny. A piece of coal for your stockings Utesies. Merry Christmas!

• Independence Is Bliss San Jose, CA
    Dec. 22, 2011 10:24 p.m.

Wow. Good think the Utes are in the Pac. They actually have a chance to win a couple games in that sorry conference. The Big Sky is just too much to handle.

• nunya sacramento, ca
    Dec. 22, 2011 10:20 p.m.

hahahahahahaha

• Lifelong Republican Orem, UT
    Dec. 22, 2011 10:18 p.m.

Shouldn't we hang up some banners for whatever conference Weber St. is in?

Is this the same Weber St. team that BYU handled without any problem?

Wow. Just wow.

It is going to be a long, long, long road back from the abyss for Utah.

Sad to see a once proud program in the tank with no real hope in the foreseeable future.

Is it still great to be a Ute like I keep hearing?

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Dec. 22, 2011 10:18 p.m.

Congrats Wildcats. Weber State has a legit shot at the big dance this year.

Up on the hill, this may be the beginning of the longest losing streak in Utah BB history. I don't see U winning another game the rest of the reason. With a year like this, I have to believe there will be another exodus at the end of the season - current players and / or recruits. I hope Coach Kry is calling Loveridge every night to ensure he stays committed.

The entire PAC12 is struggling again this year. It could be a one bid conference this year, two teams at most. I thought Stanford had potential until seeing the low lights of their loss to an average Butler team. Colorado squeeks past a 1-9 Texas So team, and USC is getting taken to the wood shed by Kansas. In fairness, Arizona seems to be picking up some of their mojo from last decade.

• Ted H. Midvale, UT
    Dec. 22, 2011 10:17 p.m.

Anyone else surprised weber came back from that 0-3 deficit? Great game!

• Disgruntled Nephi, UT
    Dec. 22, 2011 10:15 p.m.

Don't worry Utah fans, things will get easier once you get out of Big Sky play and into the Conference of Champions.

• Veracity Morgan, UT
    Dec. 22, 2011 9:54 p.m.

Smart decision Utah not to play Utah State and Weber anymore...perhaps you need to no longer play Hillcrest, Highland and East...they would ruin your record as well...

I wonder if coach K really understood the Utah program he was getting into...however, they are probably in the right conference...the PAC12 is probably one of the worse conferences in the nation...period.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Dec. 22, 2011 9:36 p.m.

I guess that whole
    BCS Conference, Conference of Champions, Mid-Major, Non-Equity....blah...blah....blah, was just nonsense all along.

It's all about performing Utah. Face it Utes, your cute little Pac-12 logos don't mean a thing when it's 5 on 5.
    Riding others Coat-tails will take U only so far.

The sooner U realize this, the sooner U can get back to respecting your opponents and maybe yourselves once again.

The WCC is a better league than is the Pac-12 and Utah simply cannot compete at the Division 1 level anymore.

• Mr.Reality Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 22, 2011 9:35 p.m.

I didn't torture myself by watching this game. I decided to have some fun and watch "World at War" reruns instead. I knew the Utes were going to be bad, but this is pathetic. They are not getting any better. A quick look at the stats and the recap reveals that the Utes don't play defense, can't shoot, and have a coach who has no clue how to stop long runs by the opposition. It is one thing to lose. It is quite another to lose because you are too lazy, apathetic, and poorly coached to give yourself a chance to win. And that is where the Utes are....

• CougarKeith Roy, UT
    Dec. 22, 2011 9:34 p.m.

The Utes are a Has Been as far as Basketball is concerned, They stink!

• Jake2010 bountiful, ut
    Dec. 22, 2011 9:29 p.m.

Conference of Champions is the least fitting label in all of sports.... At least for those who live in the present which I will grant as the past 10 years..... Gymnastics, baseball, swimming etc don't count and they are the only types of championships I can even see the over credited conference winning in the recent to early distant past.

On the game at hand I am a little less than thrilled that Utah went against a team with a winning record and got pummeled. It clearly shows that contrary to what I had hoped, the Utes have far from arrived..... Games like tonight will completely prevent winning the conference from being even a slight chance of happening.

• Making Sense Herriman, UT
    Dec. 22, 2011 9:24 p.m.

Observation: ute faithful troll around in the comments of articles about BYU while they avoid stories of their own teams. So much easier to root against a foe than to cheer on your struggling team.

Congrats on a great game Wildcats!

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Dec. 22, 2011 9:14 p.m.

the conference of champions got royally blown out tonight by inferior conferences in both basketball and football. awesome.

• Wildcat O-town, UT
    Dec. 22, 2011 8:55 p.m.

Great game Wildcats! The Purple Palace is a tough place to play.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 22, 2011 8:33 p.m.

This is pretty much going like I thought it would.

• BluCoug Provo, UT