Utah

Mia Love making a run in Utah's new 4th Congressional District

Comments

• Demisana South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 24, 2011 11:49 a.m.

Not in that district - so I have no ax to grind. That said - go Mia! We can send another white male to blend in with the crowd, or we can send a black conservative woman who will stand out - i.e. when she says something, people will report on it and she might have a chance at some real influence. We need to shake up our own image as white bread Utah - sending her to Congress couldn't hurt.

Besides - I like the quote from her father starting with not taking handouts, and that she should give back. Much like my own father who told me countless times that "the world does not owe you a living". We need more independent people who can show others how it's supposed to be, instead of creating more dependent sheep.

• stevo123 slc, ut
    Dec. 24, 2011 8:08 a.m.

The fourth district was drawn by and for Carl Wimmer. It is good to see good people of both parties jumping into the fray . Everyone jumping in so far is an improvement over Mr Wimmer.

• RaininTime Orem, UT
    Dec. 24, 2011 2:56 a.m.

I like her platform. She is extremely bright and as a mayor, yes she has had to run a city during a difficult financial times. I am glad she has her own police department.

Also, I am noticing the comments against her are not from her district, so they are innocuous. Plus, why focus on the color of her skin, instead of the content of her character.

Of course I am cheering for her. I am glad the GOP is cheering for her and supporting her. She sounds awesome and I want awesome people in Congress.

• shaun_ SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Dec. 23, 2011 8:13 p.m.

@VST. I don't live in Saint George but does that really matter? Remember the districts were drawn so both urban and rural interest were represented. That pretty much includes everyone in the state.

@Counter intelligence. I am not intolerant. My in laws hate me because I half Hispanic. The national GOP wants her to win, not because of her stance on the conservative issues but because she would be the first black republican women in congress.

Maybe you are embarrassed of Frank, Pelosi, Reid, etc but I am talking about people represent us in this state.

@Eddie. Yeah I have heard it all. Obama is a socialist, he wants to destroy America, blah blah. Exactly what entitlements are existence today that were not in existence 5, 10, 20 years ago? This is all politics and both sides play it.

• crodier LAYTON, UT
    Dec. 23, 2011 7:33 p.m.

Mayor Love has done great things for the citizens of Saratoga Springs. The city was fiscal crisis until she turned it around. I certainly will throw my support behind her.

• Kitenoa Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 23, 2011 3:10 p.m.

Good luck Mia. We need you, a breath of fresh air in Utah politics and in Washington DC.

• Liberal Ted Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 23, 2011 2:41 p.m.

@Allen#2 | 12:07 p.m. Dec. 23, 2011
    WEST VALLEY CITY, UT

Oh here comes the "It's George Bush's fault" line again.

What reasonable policies has bo brought to the table? Pick one: There is the borrow $5 Trillion policy, the Start a war in Libya policy, Start a war in Uganda policy, Escalate the war in Iraq policy, Escalate the war in Afghanistan policy, Allow Iran to manufacture nuclear weapons policy, Israel go back to your pre-war borders policy, Lose $15 Billion to the auto industry policy, lose billions to solyndra (where he had stocks) policy, blame the white cambridge officer and then backtrack and try to give him a beer summit, the apologize for US greatness tour, offer govt aid to buy antennas for HD signal policy, lose a drone in Iran....oh wait a minute the one success when he personally led the Seal Team 6 into Bin Ladens hideout and shot him in the head; could you imagine those navy seals going in without baracks leadership? I bet they were soo scared until barack read his teleprompter and led them into battle.

C'mon bo is the worst president in our history!

• Allen#2 WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Dec. 23, 2011 12:07 p.m.

The George W. Bush "Tax Cut for the Rich" just after he started the War of Opportunity in Iraq was the biggest cause of the USA financial mess and NOT the reasonable policies of Pres. Obama.

As with another poster, we don't know which Congressional District we are in because the lines split our city into 2 districts...thanks to rePublican gerrymandering "fairness" and I am tired of being put in the same district as right wing Utah county.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 23, 2011 11:50 a.m.

I love Mrs. Love! I wish her well in this pursuit. It isn't just that she would be something rare in congress, a black conservative woman, but she is simply a good solid conservative and a very reasonable and upbeat person. I am looking forward to her campaign!

• ExecutorIoh West Jordan, UT
    Dec. 23, 2011 9:34 a.m.

Is anybody running in the 2nd Dist?

• kcmannn Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 23, 2011 8:58 a.m.

@ reader1234

LOL it sounds like you are endorsing her since she will fit right in with the DC crowd.

• reader1234 South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 23, 2011 8:57 a.m.

I am still going to vote for her. She is right about sending a 1000 Wimmers and such.

• reader1234 South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 23, 2011 8:44 a.m.

I think she is great but she has accomplished nothing as mayor. Saratoga Springs spends 5 million a year on its own police force. It could cost them only 1 million if she would agree to join Utah County Police Department. That means she knowingly wastes 4 million a year so she can have police officers with Saratoga Springs badges on them.

• Eddie Syracuse, UT
    Dec. 23, 2011 8:43 a.m.

@ shaun_

And just how was Obama elected? Those left wing Dems have us so much in a whole we may never get out. What we need is more right wing Repubs to get us out of this mess and stop all the entitlements that are breaking us.

• 7UD4 KAYSVILLE, UT
    Dec. 23, 2011 8:34 a.m.

Re: kcmannn | 5:18 a.m. Dec. 23, 2011

"Creepy to have a picture and quote of yourself on the wall. Is her ego that big? "

It looks like a whole bunch of campaign posters to me - and isn't that the point of the story?

I'm not in that district. ( In fact I don't remember which district I'm in now. The new line zig-zags through my neighborhood and slices my old precinct. I had to zoom the map to the house resolution to figure it out and was so disgusted I didn't care by the time I could see where the line was.) However it would be nice to have a race where the candidates actually gave you some quotes and a picture to go on. Most of the time you just get a sign that says "so and so for such and such". So a photo and a quote seem like a big step up in campaign media.

• Freedom Huntsville, UT
    Dec. 23, 2011 8:22 a.m.

@kc, they are standing in her campaign headquarters. I would hope the candidate they are working for has her name on the wall.

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    Dec. 23, 2011 8:18 a.m.

The purpose of a CWP is that of concealment. Telling everyone you pack heat isn't the brightest idea.

• sergio Phoenix, AZ
    Dec. 23, 2011 8:17 a.m.

It doesn't seem to make too much difference who is elected, once they arrive in Washington they are indoctrinated and become part of the same o, same o club.

• Wildcat O-town, UT
    Dec. 23, 2011 7:27 a.m.

@kcmannn

I noticed that as well...you don't want people with big egos in DC, there are already enough people there with that problem now.

• Wildcat O-town, UT
    Dec. 23, 2011 6:30 a.m.

@A1994,

Oh there are differences--very big differences.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    Dec. 23, 2011 6:01 a.m.

Re: shaun_ | 10:22 p.m. Dec. 22, 2011
    "Great, all we need is another Utah County person representing us."

Wise people judge a candidate based on their character and beliefs. Those who are not so wise fixate on where the candidate lives.

I wish Mia Love good luck as she starts on a difficult journey.

• kcmannn Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 23, 2011 5:18 a.m.

• Lehi'i Lehi, UT
    Dec. 23, 2011 2:14 a.m.

Mia has done a fantastic job in Saratoga Springs. I am so happy that we have a candidate that is viable both in the convention and in the general election. Wimmer seems to be popular among many of the delegates, but they also really like Mia as well. The difference is that Wimmer doesn't stand a chance in the general election against Matheson and Mia will do very well against Matheson. Come on 4th District, let's knock Matheson out of DC!!!

• shaun_ SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Dec. 23, 2011 12:16 a.m.

@A1994. I'm not on a perch. People from Utah County are so far right when it comes to politics it is embarrassing to have people like chaffetz, sandstrom, and wimmer(he should really live in utah county) represent this state.

This lady will win and it will have everything to do will politics and no substance. Like being the first black republican women elected to congress. She has the National GOP foaming at the mouth.

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    Dec. 22, 2011 10:48 p.m.

@shaun

"Great, all we need is another Utah County person representing us."

Why don't you come down from your lofty St.George perch and do a little research. She was born in New York and raise in Connecticut. What difference does it make if she lives in Utah County?

• t702 Las Vegas, NV
    Dec. 22, 2011 10:43 p.m.

Awesome! good luck

• shaun_ SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Dec. 22, 2011 10:22 p.m.

Great, all we need is another Utah County person representing us.

• RockOn Spanish Fork, UT
    Dec. 22, 2011 10:22 p.m.

You go girl. Mia is a great lady and would represent Utah well.